WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Concrete work in Vegas

STV_Keith

Reaction score
I know a few of you are from around here or have houses here...I'm in need of about 1700sf of concrete. Any suggestions?

HBCraig

Reaction score
I know a few of you are from around here or have houses here...I'm in need of about 1700sf of concrete. Any suggestions?
What's it for Keith?
I know a few but some are commercial only

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
We used Centennial Concrete out of Henderson. We had a 20’ by 70’ area of RV parking done. They were very reasonable. They just did our neighbors house also.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
We used Centennial Concrete out of Henderson. We had a 20’ by 70’ area of RV parking done. They were very reasonable. They just did our neighbors house also.

The term "reasonable" and the current times to not blend well together involving anything in the construction industry right now......

STV_Keith

Reaction score
HBCraig, it's for RV parking. It's a 35 x 50 area with an angled front to meet up with existing concrete. Mrs. Riley1, do you mind sharing how much you paid and how long ago this was? Was your 6" concrete or 4"? Did they install rebar or anything for strength?

I've got one quote but when asked about if 6" concrete will handle the 50k weight, they didn't have the answer. Didn't know what the concrete PSI was. I was given the guy's number as he does work on the side and works a "big crew" during the day. I'm not sold on the capability and want to do it ONCE and not have it crack in 3 years like the last stuff I had done at my last house by "a guy on the side."

RCDave

Reaction score
Advise the installer to use "American Eagle Ready Mix". They are awesome

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
HBCraig, it's for RV parking. It's a 35 x 50 area with an angled front to meet up with existing concrete. Mrs. Riley1, do you mind sharing how much you paid and how long ago this was? Was your 6" concrete or 4"? Did they install rebar or anything for strength?

I've got one quote but when asked about if 6" concrete will handle the 50k weight, they didn't have the answer. Didn't know what the concrete PSI was. I was given the guy's number as he does work on the side and works a "big crew" during the day. I'm not sold on the capability and want to do it ONCE and not have it crack in 3 years like the last stuff I had done at my last house by "a guy on the side."
We had the option of 4” or 5” and we went with the 5”. He also gave us quotes with rebar and with the fiber mesh. We went with the fiber mesh. I believe it was about $8500 and we had it done in September or October of 2020.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
Very nice. The only quote I have so far is from that guy I mentioned above, and is over 10k without rebar or mesh. Looking for other options.

Your ad here

Reaction score
With that sq.ft., a 5" slab will be three full 9 yard loads. 20' long rebar 24" OC will be 103 pieces and 18" OC will be 137 pieces. When pouring any concrete always try to get a big rock mix and not a pea gravel. Pea gravel just doesn't have the strength big rock has. When I worked in LA all we used was a big rock mix, 560C3250. Big rock requires a 4" pump, if you are going to pump. Most pumps are 3" and for pea gravel. You should be able to tailgate the mix and set a form or clean the edge where the trucks exit out and lift the rebar as you pour.

Nordie

Reaction score

I was just talking about Centennial Concrete the other day, I wasn't sure if they were still around. We used to do some odds n ends jobs with them (I place rebar for a living). Great group of guys and I'm glad to hear that they are still around.

NicPaus

Reaction score
No clue on Vegas pricing but. We are pouring a slab Monday for swim spa its 8x20 58" deep. Formed it yesterday 6" with 1/2" rebar 12" on center. For a 50k coach I would do 6" and 16" on center if you don't want to spend on 12" on center. Also compacted 2" of base. If it as my driveway I would go 4" base 5.5" slab 16" OC. Base is cheap.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Keith, all the concrete at Steve's place at the river is cracking now. No rebar. No nothing. Just sayin...

Nordie

Reaction score
I prefer to see rebar in slabs, I might be biased though 😜. A thickened edge with continuous rebar and a wire mesh slab isn't all that bad either.

Also if you ever think of some kind of structure going in the future, it never hurts to run some additional conduit under the slab and map it out on a set of plans. We did this a lot on the homes I worked on in Florida, under driveways in such, as someone might want to add lighting or various other things.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
Just a little followup here. Still have not had any work done. The whole job was for a concrete slab and cover for my RV. Roughly 35' wide and 50' long. So far I've had one quote on just the concrete for $10,000. This was the guy I didn't trust as he couldn't answer the questions about rebar, weight, etc. He's since gone MIA anyway.

2nd quote was just for a cover...$10,000 for a steel carport like structure bolted to the dirt, no cover. Something like this, with a few panels on the back and one side to keep the sun off.

Carport.jpg

3rd quote just came in to do the whole job. $128,000!

Really, is this fuckin' rocket science or what? Pour some concrete and build a cover to keep the sun off my RV and trailer. Why does it have to cost the price of a new house?

WTF!

RCDave

Reaction score
Just a little followup here. Still have not had any work done. The whole job was for a concrete slab and cover for my RV. Roughly 35' wide and 50' long. So far I've had one quote on just the concrete for $10,000. This was the guy I didn't trust as he couldn't answer the questions about rebar, weight, etc. He's since gone MIA anyway.

2nd quote was just for a cover...$10,000 for a steel carport like structure bolted to the dirt, no cover. Something like this, with a few panels on the back and one side to keep the sun off.

View attachment 1030830

3rd quote just came in to do the whole job. $128,000!

Really, is this fuckin' rocket science or what? Pour some concrete and build a cover to keep the sun off my RV and trailer. Why does it have to cost the price of a new house?

WTF!

Jeesus. I'm having an 18' wide x 45' long x 20' high RV garage with driveway, large back patio, and patio cover built for less than that. RUN Keith RUN

STV_Keith

Reaction score
It's insane. I had a 15 x 55' pad poured at my last house for $3500. Can't even find someone I'd consider "competent" for 3x that today.

boatpi

Reaction score
What size of an RV cover you’re looking at specifically how tall too? Me see if my material is compatible.

RCDave

Reaction score
Keith, I PM'd you here on RDP. Check your message. Got a big gun that will help you

Ultra912

Reaction score
With that sq.ft., a 5" slab will be three full 9 yard loads. 20' long rebar 24" OC will be 103 pieces and 18" OC will be 137 pieces. When pouring any concrete always try to get a big rock mix and not a pea gravel. Pea gravel just doesn't have the strength big rock has. When I worked in LA all we used was a big rock mix, 560C3250. Big rock requires a 4" pump, if you are going to pump. Most pumps are 3" and for pea gravel. You should be able to tailgate the mix and set a form or clean the edge where the trucks exit out and lift the rebar as you pour.
3250,,,,city mix.
Right now I do 1700sqft @ 5" thickness, 3000 psi with buckeye fiber for 11.5k
Rebar for that is overkill unless you parking class A vehicle
Concrete does two things,,,,gets hard and cracks. Expansion joint spacing will keep cracks controlled
Big Rock batch design is no more than 12 foot spacing in both directions. Pea Gravel is no more than 8 feet
If soil requires excessive grading that's an add-on and a pump for that is $500.00
31-32 yards
That's priced geographically where I do business (High Desert)
Price hinges on cost of material,,,,which fluctuates depending on the market (area) which you live in

ConcreteDr

Reaction score
Use #4@16OC no fibers and a DOT bridge mix you'll thank me later and oh if its over 90F start pouring at 9 pm and have the wet cure on at sunrise keep it wet for as long as you can ..

If you want shit do it the way most of the guys do it
shit mix.. over watered... in the sun...& wind ?? and no cure and the guys that recommend fibers and no rebar thats just dishonest

STV_Keith

Reaction score
Thanks RCDave, I gave him a call and left a msg.

Boatpi - The cover will be about 30 x 45. This seems to depend a little on cover design and how far from my existing building they have to go. Quote I have now wants to be 18" away from my wall, which then leaves this odd gap between the building and cover legs every so many feet. I'm not super stoked about that, but have figured that if I want concrete (and I do), I need to do it before I can work on the cover.

Ultra912 - yes, Class A @ 35,000#.

Attached is a Google Maps satellite view. Concrete area would be what I colored green. It butts up to existing concrete at the bottom right side. Other pic is the area that needs concrete and a cover.

Attachments

• YardLayout-Arial.jpg
    YardLayout-Arial.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 77
  • ParkingArea-annotated.jpg
    ParkingArea-annotated.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Your ad here

Reaction score
How about a weekend RDP build a new driveway party? I'm sure we have some guys that can operate a skip loader, set forms and rebar, and pour and finish concrete. We can be paid in many forms. Like with beer, expensive RDP shirts, $18 sandwiches, 10mm sockets.

NicPaus

Reaction score
How about a weekend RDP build a new driveway party? I'm sure we have some guys that can operate a skip loader, set forms and rebar, and pour and finish concrete. We can be paid in many forms. Like with beer, expensive RDP shirts, $18 sandwiches, 10mm sockets.
If he wasn't in Vegas. My Cat Skidsteer is just sitting collecting dust. I am at the job now where I poured the swim spa slab no cracks. Got our retaining wall dug here and the city lost the blue prints they approved holding us up.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Im looking for concrete too in Henderson . I had out centennial for a quote and he wanted 5k for 8 yards of flat work that needs no grading . Just a simple pad for a shed and addition to a pool deck . That will not be happening anytime soon if these are the new normal prices.

Rye

Reaction score
Nothing to add that hasn’t already been said, but here’s mine. I’ve been working weekends on it for a few months. Steel building foundation, 50 x 75 x 6” thick with #4, 18” each way and turn down footing. 16 enlarged column footings. Did all this myself thus far. Expecting to pay $40K~ for concrete floor placed with a truck pump and commercial contractor using a laser screed. I want a very flat slab with very sealed surface, like a Home Depot or Walmart slab.
71E6888B-D37E-44AF-B267-EC914DDBC281.jpeg

Nordie

Reaction score
Nothing to add that hasn’t already been said, but here’s mine. I’ve been working weekends on it for a few months. Steel building foundation, 50 x 75 x 6” thick with #4, 18” each way and turn down footing. 16 enlarged column footings. Did all this myself thus far. Expecting to pay $40K~ for concrete floor placed with a truck pump and commercial contractor using a laser screed. I want a very flat slab with very sealed surface, like a Home Depot or Walmart slab.
View attachment 1030966

Better knock all them dobies out for the laser screed.

cxr

Reaction score
sHIIIT..... IN THAT CASE i will have apool building party :) lots of CL and Stripers LOL

boatpi

Reaction score
A 30’ x 45’ is huge, so at least 14’ tall? If that’s the case the illustration your first had showed something prefab at steel with a roll formed steel even better if you can get aluminum because It won’t rust from the top would be your most economical way. I’m assuming you’re probably going to get a permit for that structure be very careful and make sure it’s pre-engineered and you apply for the permit early on and also could be very dicey that’s going to take some more work to secure down because of the 97 mile an hour wind standard we have in Clark county. If it’s going to be screwed to that concrete slab you’re pouring and no doubt will be 4500 psi, and the bases will probably have to be 12 to 16 inches in from the edge of the concrete so check thoroughly on the specs.
In Las Vegas all the good stuff is 4500 PSI concrete. This is too large of a span to be economically realistic using our material although we do spend 33 feet. We’ve had some contractors use our material here in town only problem is for aluminum post the max on my manufacture is 12 feet that’s a problem for larger units.

make sure your source materials early on for the steel or roll formed aluminum cover find out what the leadtime is for delivery there’s a lot of problem with steel and aluminum supply now it’s pretty serious. We don’t have an issue, but those roll formed products, example Alumawood and the roll formed product has gone up 30% in the last three months for the aluminum stuff, and leadtime can be three months.

DLC

Reaction score
I can do $99,000.00. And I’ll be there tomorrow!

wow that is crazy pricing!

QUOTE="hallett21, post: 4191055, member: 5154"]
Alright 100k and I can be there Monday. Good god lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE]

702sandman

Reaction score
I have a great guy that I’ve used for 20 years and has poured 15+ houses for me over the years, lots of flat work, stamped work and pretty much anything concrete. I trust him 100%. Here’s a pic of my detached garage he just poured 6” thick and 4500 psi. He lives in vegas. pm me if you want his info.
22845A06-09C5-4030-8122-1B8C5ED46527.jpeg
F2A104C8-2300-46B1-AA22-8EDE702653A0.jpeg
92B9D95C-2734-4ABF-814F-DBC20929BD80.jpeg

Nordie

Reaction score

Any time I've tied a slab they never want the slab dobied when using a laser screed. They have to drive the laser screed over the rebar so it's essentially going to mess the rebar up, the finishers dobie as they go. The rebar will most likely roll off of the dobies at some point and you're going to have a mess on your hands.

The rebar and dobie work looks great, but they are going to want the bar on the ground.

Reactions: Rye

Riverryder

Reaction score
@702sandman you live 2 streets down from my engine builder. I saw the build when dropping my boat off the other week so I went and drove past to see it. Looks good!

Ultra912

Reaction score
View attachment 1030966
Where you at? I must live in a real shitty market. I just did that exact same building @ 4" thick with a pump for 27K. With no boom pump and no polished floor.
I just did a 158x42 for 50K for a pot farm in Lucerne Valley. 4" thick, no pump with #3 18"OC

grumpy88

Reaction score
I have a great guy that I’ve used for 20 years and has poured 15+ houses for me over the years, lots of flat work, stamped work and pretty much anything concrete. I trust him 100%. Here’s a pic of my detached garage he just poured 6” thick and 4500 psi. He lives in vegas. pm me if you want his info. View attachment 1031009 View attachment 1031010 View attachment 1031011
Update . I just had a pad and pool deck extension done and cant be happier . Fair pricing and good work . I look forward to using him for the rest of my concrete work . Thanks again

grumpy88

Reaction score
I dont know the sq ft price , just that it was about what concrete should cost . I had 2 other prices that were insane .

702sandman

Reaction score
Update . I just had a pad and pool deck extension done and cant be happier . Fair pricing and good work . I look forward to using him for the rest of my concrete work . Thanks again

glad you are happy with his work I trust him 100% 👍👍

STV_Keith

Reaction score
Finally getting somewhere. RCDave got me hooked up with a guy here in town and now I have a reasonable quote for all the work and concrete. 4500psi, 6" slab with #4 rebar, 24"OC with drainage. We're moving in the right direction. Got a few more questions to answer and I'm ready to pull the trigger. Looks like about $14k for the job...not including a cover at this time.

RCDave

Reaction score
I just got poured 16 cubic yards of sidewalks and patio here in idaho. $178 per cubic yard for just the mud. Dang ready mix has gotten expensive

Last edited: