WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Considering a new tow vehicle

Ibeplumbing

Reaction score
I'm tired of the diesel problems I've had with different diesels over the last 6 years. Pretty much over the diesel thing. Not because of power, which I love, but because of repairs. It seems to be endless and more expensive than I'm willing to continually pay. I have kind of a open slate at this point, although I need to sell my 05 cummins if I am going to do something different. Right now it is just me and the wife, but we always bring our 2 dogs (Doberman) to the river. We are going to be having children in the next year or so and would like a tow rig that can hold all of us, yet tow our boat as well. I have a 25 ft warlock, but am looking to upgrade that to a 28 Daytona or deck boat in the next few years as well. We live in Phoenix and stay in Parker every weekend from March-October, except for maybe 4 weeks scattered throughout that timeframe. We tow both ways every time.

At this point I'm considering a escalade (2004-2006, or 2007-2010), a 5.3 Tahoe/Yukon (2003-2010), a v10 excursion, a 90's suburban 350 or 454, also considering a 80's suburban and doing a ls swap. Some questions I have about the Tahoe's and escalades are whether or not it is worth getting a esv, suburban or Yukon xl because of the longer wheelbase for towing. I don't tow incredibly far but I do it often. Is there a noticeable difference between the escalade and chevys towing? I am open to the older style escalades, Tahoe's and subs, I'm trying to stay under $15k, and as low of miles as I can find. How does a v10 excursion tow comparibly? Which would you pick for what I am looking for?

Also, it pretty much only gets used for river trips or winter trips here and there, sits other than that. I put on less than 6k miles per year usually

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I'm tired of the diesel problems I've had with different diesels over the last 6 years. Pretty much over the diesel thing. Not because of power, which I love, but because of repairs. It seems to be endless and more expensive than I'm willing to continually pay. I have kind of a open slate at this point, although I need to sell my 05 cummins if I am going to do something different. Right now it is just me and the wife, but we always bring our 2 dogs (Doberman) to the river. We are going to be having children in the next year or so and would like a tow rig that can hold all of us, yet tow our boat as well. I have a 25 ft warlock, but am looking to upgrade that to a 28 Daytona or deck boat in the next few years as well. We live in Phoenix and stay in Parker every weekend from March-October, except for maybe 4 weeks scattered throughout that timeframe. We tow both ways every time.

At this point I'm considering a escalade (2004-2006, or 2007-2010), a 5.3 Tahoe/Yukon (2003-2010), a v10 excursion, also considering a 80's suburban and doing a ls swap. Some questions I have about the Tahoe's and escalades are whether or not it is worth getting a esv, suburban or Yukon xl because of the longer wheelbase for towing. I don't tow incredibly far but I do it often. Is there a noticeable difference between the escalade and chevys towing? I am open to the older style escalades, Tahoe's and subs, I'm trying to stay under $15k, and as low of miles as I can find. How does a v10 excursion tow comparibly? Which would you pick for what I am looking for?

i'd pick the 05 cummins

Ibeplumbing

Reaction score
i'd pick the 05 cummins

Towing wise I love it, it's been having a ton of blow by the last year though. I can see it all over underneath and you can smell the cummins oil burn smell pretty bad now. Ive been told it's my rings taking a shit and it's usually the 5th and 6th cylinders on the 05's. I really don't want to put 5-10k into a truck that isn't going to work space wise soon anyways. I had a 6.0 ford before that was a complete disaster, dumped over 20k in repairs over the time I had it, I'm kinda over diesel repairs at this point. I can buy a lot of gas for what I spend in repairs

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Towing wise I love it, it's been having a ton of blow by the last year though. I can see it all over underneath and you can smell the cummins oil burn smell pretty bad now. Ive been told it's my rings taking a shit and it's usually the 5th and 6th cylinders on the 05's. I really don't want to put 5-10k into a truck that isn't going to work space wise soon anyways. I had a 6.0 ford before that was a complete disaster, dumped over 20k in repairs over the time I had it, I'm kinda over diesel repairs at this point. I can buy a lot of gas for what I spend in repairs

pulling a 28' deck is gonna be a chore..

hallett21

Reaction score
For towing over 20 weekends a year maybe look into storing the boat in Parker? Might open up your options to other trucks/SUVs since you would only need to tow a few miles. And then maybe the once/twice a year tow home.

If you're pulling a 28ft boat for over 100 miles each way I'd think you would wanna pull with a diesel. I would think the 1/2 Ton would get worn out from that kind of towing. Not necessarily right away, but I'm wondering if you'd be in the same position in a few years with a tired 1/2 ton vs your (potentially) worn out truck now.

Maybe look into the 04-07 Duramax, Ford 7.3 or a 5.9 cummins with a clean bill of health? Expedition 7.3 for your growing family?

Is the 15k all in or is that what you plan to get from the truck?

Halvecto

Reaction score
My .02....Like investing, think total return. I picked up a 2001 2WD Crew Cab F250 7.3 about five years ago and I have had the exact experience everyone raves about with the 7.3 diesel. In the 4 1/2 years I have owned it, I haven't spent a dime on the engine other than fluid changes. It is stock, with no chip, etc. I just put new Bilsteins on and it is about as good a tow vehicle as I can imagine. I drive it on Saturdays for projects around the house and to tow the boat in spring and summer. I also tow various trailers at times and it is great to know i can hook up anything and not have to worry. The brakes, engine and weight of the truck are a great package.

It doesn't have the bling of new trucks, but I also didn't want to pay for stuff that i really didn't need.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I'd find the newest, best, cleanest and lowest-mileage 3/4-ton gasser you can find to fit your budget...regardless of brand.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
I'd find the newest, best, cleanest and lowest-mileage 3/4-ton gasser you can find to fit your budget...regardless of brand.

Something along this.

I've got a 2003 3/4 ton Suburban with. 6.0 liter. A 28 foot boat would be no problem. I towed a 30 foot travel trailer that weighed 12,000 pounds loaded up with it until I sold it. Was a bit of a chore on big grades but a boat isn't as heavy and certainly not as high profile.

Yes you want the longer wheelbase but the Sub is actually still at least a foot shorter than my Silverado.

Excursion would work too but those are HUGE.

Ibeplumbing

Reaction score
My cummins only has 140k on it now, bone stock, I just don't want to put $5-10k in motor work into it if it's not going to be enough space for what we want anyways. I got the cummins for reliability and towing ability after my 6.0 ford nightmare, which it has done that well. The diesel repairs just really add up. If you only put 5-6k miles on most years and you are constantly throwing money at it, it's not worth it to me to have a diesel. Storing the boat out in Parker makes more sense than towing out every time, even though we specifically bought our house for the 44ft garage for the boat. I wouldn't need to have a diesel in that case as it would only be a few tows total a year. My main reason for wanting to stay around or under 15k is I don't want a payment. We already pay on 2 cars and a rv loan and a few credit cards. I'm trying to eliminate all debt besides my house. For several reasons but mostly to spend it on a newer boat in a few years.

LomitaBob

Reaction score
we had a 2011 suburban 1500 and towed a 23 foot toybox loaded to the hill with gear, crap, 110 gallons of water, and a rhino. we got about 6mpg when towing but not 1 problem.

we now have a 2015 v10 motorhome, 31 foot and its heavy! we tow a 4door jeep and get between 7 and 8mpg

welldigger00

Reaction score
Staying under $15k, towing 15k lbs, with family and dogs etc, and reliably, sounds like a potential bad weekend on the side of the 40, in my opinion:)

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
We bought the suburban for a couple reasons you listed. Room for the dog in back hatch. Room for two car seats and a couple more seats to get from lake house to dock. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446562701.788077.jpg note that drop is not enough to tow the boat [emoji57]

Ibeplumbing

Reaction score
Staying under $15k, towing 15k lbs, with family and dogs etc, and reliably, sounds like a potential bad weekend on the side of the 40, in my opinion:)

It does, but I don't tow 15k ever, and don't take the 40. When we travel there is only our small bag of clothes. Literally small duffle bag. We get food at the Walmart in Parker on the way in, we leave our park model hooked up all the time so the fridge stays cold, half the time we don't even stop to get food. We travel super light. It's only 2 hrs from my house to trailer and pretty flat most of the way. I know what you are saying though, typically cheap vehicles and reliability for desert traveling don't go well together

Backlash

Reaction score

UNLESS you score a killer deal on an old Dodge with a Cummins. :D

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

At this point I'm considering a escalade (2004-2006, or 2007-2010), a 5.3 Tahoe/Yukon (2003-2010), a v10 excursion, a 90's suburban 350 or 454, also considering a 80's suburban and doing a ls swap. Some questions I have about the Tahoe's and escalades are whether or not it is worth getting a esv, suburban or Yukon xl because of the longer wheelbase for towing. I don't tow incredibly far but I do it often. Is there a noticeable difference between the escalade and chevys towing? I am open to the older style escalades, Tahoe's and subs, I'm trying to stay under $15k, and as low of miles as I can find. How does a v10 excursion tow comparibly? Which would you pick for what I am looking for?

Also, it pretty much only gets used for river trips or winter trips here and there, sits other than that. I put on less than 6k miles per year usually

All Dodges??

There is a 7.3 for sale on here that is an absolutely killer deal. My 99 7.3 has had minimal issues. 150k and it's just barely broken in. I'll never get rid of this truck. Lemme try and find it for you. Gas engines are not designed for towing.

BajaMike

Reaction score
I would get a 5 or 10 year old Chev 2500 HD crew cab short bed with a 6.0 engine and a 4.10 rear end. I bought my 2001 2500 HD from Selman about 10 years ago. It had 60k miles and now it has 180k miles. No engine or tranny issues in 10 years, just serviced it as required and it runs like brand new.

I love this truck and will never sell it. The new trucks have small engines and high (weak) rear ends to meet the Obama mileage requirements. Fuck that. Get a 6.0 engine and 4.10 rear end and you are good to go for the next 30 years, until Obama outlaws them....

Backlash

Reaction score
Good luck with your search as I'm sure you'll find something if your patient.

Please don't purchase a Tahoe if you plan on later purchasing a 28' boat. In my opinion, the Tahoe isn't suitable for towing a boat that large. Can it do it? Maybe. Would you want to be in the vehicle when you realized it couldn't safely handle the load? Not me. :D

Someone pointed out the used Chevy 2500HD. Love this truck but I would look for a diesel since you'll be towing. The problem then is finding one under 15K that doesn't have 300,000 miles. That truck would make an ideal tow rig for you guys and I feel like it would be safer for you and your growing family. From my mechanic friends in the know, look for the 2004-2005 as it has proven reliable. I don't have this truck so I'm just passing along third hand information.

Another great truck is the early Ford F250/350 diesel. If you can find a low mileage 7.3 Powerstroke, buy it. My Dad is over 300,000 miles with minimal problems. He's been happy and doesn't want a newer truck because this one has been largely problem-free.

The older Suburban is another good platform but with a small block it won't get out of its own way. And with a big block, towing that load, you'll be lucky if you see 8mpg. Downhill. :D

Do lots of research but I would consider buying more truck than you think you'll need. You want to arrive at the river intact. ;)

Good luck!

Henry

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I tow with a 03 Chevy 3500 with their 496. Milage towing is 8.6 but I have never done anything but oil changes. They run good but are hard to. find

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Spend a little more initially. You will be happy you did. I love my 04 2500 HD with the dmax. Pulls our 27 ft Hallett with twins perfect. All while pulling 14-16 mpg's.