WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Conspiracy Theory or not...Havasu Colorado River Water

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Posting this on behalf of pops...actually dont have his permission but hes freaked out by something he may have read or heard. And where better to get the answer than here right?

So pops is worried about water. Hes worried that sooner or later Havasu is going to dry up. He is basing this on Lake Mead and how its disappearing. My thoughts are, unless it stops snowing in utah and colorado the river will continue to run forever. The amount of water being used out of Lake mead is the problem but they will never allow it to be used past a certain point. Sooner or later people are gonna have to pack their bags and move or Vegas and southern california will stop building more houses with no water supply.

So can anyone with intricate knowledge please freak my dad out more or put him at ease?

Magic1

Reaction score
Posting this on behalf of pops...actually dont have his permission but hes freaked out by something he may have read or heard. And where better to get the answer than here right?

So pops is worried about water. Hes worried that sooner or later Havasu is going to dry up. He is basing this on Lake Mead and how its disappearing. My thoughts are, unless it stops snowing in utah and colorado the river will continue to run forever. The amount of water being used out of Lake mead is the problem but they will never allow it to be used past a certain point. Sooner or later people are gonna have to pack their bags and move or Vegas and southern california will stop building more houses with no water supply.

So can anyone with intricate knowledge please freak my dad out more or put him at ease?

Havasu feeds the Aqueduct that in turn feeds us water, Havasu also feeds the lower river that feeds the farms with water that also feeds us. My bet is on Havasu is safe if not we are all fucked.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Havasu feeds the Aqueduct that in turn feeds us water, Havasu also feeds the lower river that feeds the farms with water that also feeds us. My bet is on Havasu is safe if not we are all fucked.

This is all true.

Do you really think the government will every tell areas to stop building because that’s cant support any more people? That is not in government’s best interest.

RodnJen

Reaction score
2ff has a great thread on here why Mead is low.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Lake Havasu is not going to dry out they must maintain it’s level to supply pumping stations for Phoenix and Los Angeles. If it does dry up we will all be in a world of hurt.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Colorado River Aqueduct and Central Arizona Project Aqueduct both draw from Lake Havasu. The former feeds water to Los Angeles. Hell would freeze over before California didn’t get its allotment of Colorado River water.

Taboma

Reaction score

Just curious, how old is your pops ? I'm 71, each year I'm finding new things to be concerned about and at the same time fewer. Unless there's some catastrophic event, like Hoover Dam collapsing, or Davis, or who knows what --- Running out of water in my lifetime is not a primary concern.
I've entered an age where I find that outrunning and staying ahead of the Grim Reaper (Like most of my friends have not be successful doing), is of much more concern. I also don't give two shits about any 20 year warranties, LOL :rolleyes:

So I'm hoping that your pops can be optimistic about those things we have little or no control of, enjoy each day as if it might be his last and keep fuckin running !!! :D
Honestly, a few years ago my ole best buddy and pen pal got on some "Doom and Gloom" tangent, got so every email was he sent was reporting a new potential "We're all fucked and going to die" calamity or conspiracy. It got seriously depressing reading his emails, as these weren't things we could change or control, only survive if we were lucky. But he set about "Prepping" for each and every one. I wrote him back, trying to make light of them, trying to nicely explain he was seriously bumming me out.
My pleas were ignored and it continued, he wouldn't stop , so I finally stopped reading them and stopped replying.

Then I get an email that he'd been diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, blamed on his exposure during the Viet Nam war.
All the other D&G news stopped immediately, as they were no longer relevant. We emailed each other daily until he grew to weak, he didn't make it another year.

There's a point in life when you need to enjoy life more than worrying about it.

I can't foresee the future of the Colorado river and our water supplies, but I'm pretty sure that for your pops and I, it's way down the "Need to Worry" list. :)

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Lake Havasu is not going to dry out they must maintain it’s level to supply pumping stations for Phoenix and Los Angeles. If it does dry up we will all be in a world of hurt.

Colorado River Aqueduct and Central Arizona Project Aqueduct both draw from Lake Havasu. The former feeds water to Los Angeles. Hell would freeze over before California didn’t get its allotment of Colorado River water.

And, the Power Plant. The intakes for the turbines are just below the surface. Davis (Mohave) is similar while Glen Canyon (Powell) and Hoover (Mead) are way lower so they can handle the up and down levels and still make power. This bugged me for years, trying to figure out how McCullough knew that the Channel would always have water. The power plant is the answer. Go here https://www.usbr.gov/lc/riverops.html and look at Lake levels over the last 70+ years. Look down the page and click on each lake. If you hit the "Toggle" button it will take you back as far as 1935 with monthly lake levels.

Lake levels.JPG

Havasu isn't going anywhere.

Reaction score
Interesting how Lake Powell started to rise about the same time Lake mead dropped.

I think it has more to do with September 11, 2001.
Does anyone remember when they closed the Hoover dam bridge to all trucks. They were worried terrorists could drive a truck onto the dam and blow it up. threats?

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Just curious, how old is your pops ? I'm 71, each year I'm finding new things to be concerned about and at the same time fewer. Unless there's some catastrophic event, like Hoover Dam collapsing, or Davis, or who knows what --- Running out of water in my lifetime is not a primary concern.
I've entered an age where I find that outrunning and staying ahead of the Grim Reaper (Like most of my friends have not be successful doing), is of much more concern. I also don't give two shits about any 20 year warranties, LOL :rolleyes:

So I'm hoping that your pops can be optimistic about those things we have little or no control of, enjoy each day as if it might be his last and keep fuckin running !!! :D
Honestly, a few years ago my ole best buddy and pen pal got on some "Doom and Gloom" tangent, got so every email was he sent was reporting a new potential "We're all fucked and going to die" calamity or conspiracy. It got seriously depressing reading his emails, as these weren't things we could change or control, only survive if we were lucky. But he set about "Prepping" for each and every one. I wrote him back, trying to make light of them, trying to nicely explain he was seriously bumming me out.
My pleas were ignored and it continued, he wouldn't stop , so I finally stopped reading them and stopped replying.

Then I get an email that he'd been diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, blamed on his exposure during the Viet Nam war.
All the other D&G news stopped immediately, as they were no longer relevant. We emailed each other daily until he grew to weak, he didn't make it another year.

There's a point in life when you need to enjoy life more than worrying about it.

I can't foresee the future of the Colorado river and our water supplies, but I'm pretty sure that for your pops and I, it's way down the "Need to Worry" list. :)

Haha pops s a trooper....hes not worried about himself. Hes worried about us his kids...well maybe my brother i think hes getting the havasu house haha... I have noticed him getting a little worried about shit he cant control lately....I berate the shit out of him cause thats our relationship. hes my best friend and love him to death.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Haha pops s a trooper....hes not worried about himself. Hes worried about us his kids...well maybe my brother i think hes getting the havasu house haha... I have noticed him getting a little worried about shit he cant control lately....I berate the shit out of him cause thats our relationship. hes my best friend and love him to death.

He needs a new hobby. My retired parents worry about all kinds of meaningless crap now. :)

C-2

Reaction score
Tell him to read Cadillac Desert and research the history of the powerhouse MWD. In fact, you can find portions, or all of Cadillac Desert, a shortened documentary version by PBS on YT.

C08H18

Reaction score
i would be more concerned with silt buildup than water flow. A wide and shallow river can still flow the requisite water. Hydro power wasn't classified as a renewable energy source so demand will drop with liberal pressure to consume renewable energy exclusively.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
A certain amount of water has be sent down to Imperial County and Mexico, who have senior water rights. So the river will always have to flow...

If drought conditions get serious though, I could see Arizona and Nevada paying for desalination plants for southern california in exchange for So Cal's allotment of river water.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
If i remember correctly, on net only about 1-2% of waterflow is consumed from Mead as it passes through the system, 99-98% goes out hoover dam and continues southward.

grumpy88

Reaction score
I believe the native Americans have first water rights . I think Lincoln signed that deal . I wonder about water being rediverted through a more efficient system in the future though .

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Water would never be an issue if Vegas stopped using Hoover Dam as their primary source of electricity. The water never stops flowing thru the dam regardless of water needs downstream.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
In a nutshell, they let the water out to force certain conditions it sounds like.
az is pretty well fucked right now,... they made an agreement with snwa to store water in mead....then never paid.... mead says the water they stored there evaporated.....and wants more money to store the water.... which will evaporate..... az has been pumping water under ground to try to save some water....pretty big mess... feds ave stepped in because of mead dumping the water out and have a close eye on things, mead says they aren't gonna store water for cal or az anymore...there was a deadline for az to pay up that I think passed... so who knows where they are now... but again, feds say they will step in and take over if mead dumps more.....

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
A certain amount of water has be sent down to Imperial County and Mexico, who have senior water rights. So the river will always have to flow...

If drought conditions get serious though, I could see Arizona and Nevada paying for desalination plants for southern california in exchange for So Cal's allotment of river water.
not so, ...vegas started a plan in 2000.... and with the new straw.... vegas will get water when no one else can...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
If i remember correctly, on net only about 1-2% of waterflow is consumed from Mead as it passes through the system, 99-98% goes out hoover dam and continues southward.
that and vegas get a credit for the water they put back...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
you mean like the Mexicans.....

C-2

Reaction score
Here it is, somebody took all four of the Cadillac Desert volumes and combined them into one 4-hour episode.

The episode that deals with the Colorado River, Hoover and Glen Canyon dams starts at about 1:21 (1 hour 21 minutes) and it lasts about an hour. Keep in mind the documentary was produced in 95. I've watched it many times, listening to Dominy trade jabs with his arch-rival Brower is good stuff.

The beginning of the series is also informative, few people remember that Mulholland and his cronies turned Lake Owens/Owens Valley into a desert after stealing their water.

AZ will be the state most imp[acted by any shortages as the result of drought. AZ has junior rights to NV and AZ due to their Central Arizona Project. The $1BB straw by Nevada ensures delivery of their share of water, but it does not increase their allotment; just the delivery of it by pumping water from the bottom of the lake/river, and not from behind the dam. The fear is the water level at Mead will fall below the pumping station.

The reality is the Colorado cannot sustain the demands placed upon it. And, that's why Reisner wrote Cadillac Desert way back in 86,' which was long before AZ and NV experienced huge growth. Even Goldwater says as much in the YT video. :)

rrrr

Reaction score
2ff has a great thread on here why Mead is low.

Except he has no idea what he's talking about, and every statement he has made regarding Lake Mead, the federal government, and the Southern Nevada Water Authority is incorrect.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Except he has no idea what he's talking about, and every statement he has made regarding Lake Mead, the federal government, and the Southern Nevada Water Authority is incorrect.

Lol I kinda figured.

rrrr

Reaction score
I believe the native Americans have first water rights . I think Lincoln signed that deal . I wonder about water being rediverted through a more efficient system in the future though .

Water would never be an issue if Vegas stopped using Hoover Dam as their primary source of electricity. The water never stops flowing thru the dam regardless of water needs downstream.

The water rights in the US are dictated by the 1930s agreement between the seven states in the Colorado River Basin and subsequent modifications of the agreement. The last modification was enacted last October.

There is also an international treaty with Mexico which defines the amount of water it receives from the river.

Less then 25% of the electricity produced by the turbines at the dam site is routed to Nevada users, including Las Vegas. Most of the electricity consumed by Las Vegas is generated by conventional power plants. The MWDSC uses more electricity than that to power the pumps which move Colorado River water to the Southern California area.

Arizona - 18.9527 percent
Nevada - 23.3706 percent
Metropolitan Water District of Southern California - 28.5393 percent
Burbank, CA - 0.5876 percent
Glendale, CA - 1.5874 percent
Pasadena, CA - 1.3629 percent
Los Angeles, CA - 15.4229 percent

Last edited:
Reactions: C-2

MohavValley

Reaction score
I live in eastern LA county and just got a flier, I almost threw away ( and I think it was purposely made to look this way). The flyer said that my power source that Edison buys from was now being moved to the "Clean Power Alliance" CPA. With a mailing address in South Gate, CA. WTF!

No choice, no notice, no information, just a flier that looks like junk mail were changing your power source, by the way we already did it, here's your notice ( we hope you don't get), you can opt out BUT, it can only be changed on the last day of the billing cycle, we need at least 5 days advanced notice, and you have to stick with the opt out provided ( my current power provider) for at least 12 months. By the way " our rates are compettitive" .No disclosure of the rates or even who CPA is.

I can't F-in believe this, I'm sure it's a huge money grab probably by the city of LA or some local govt or political group to redirect massive amounts of cash flow to line their pockets instead of where it's going now. "Oh look there is billions of dollars of cash flow let's make up some bullshit law to make the public/SCE buy power from our newly formed bullshit company so we can get rich or fund our political Campagins/agenda".

Attachments

• IMG_20190205_084222.jpg
    IMG_20190205_084222.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 59

That Guy

Rack em'
Reaction score
I had someone say to me the other day, "don't you worry about your house in Huntington Beach....if the oceans rise X feet, you'll be underwater".

I'm guessing I'm probably ok......:D