WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Construction Blue Book- Any subs here is it?

Hammer

Reaction score
Blue book has been hounding me to sign up for a 12-24 months plan with “guaranteed” work that will pay for itself. Anyone here us it with success starting out?

Obviously there is no guarantee that the GC from BB pays there subs. But I have to start somewhere.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Blue book has been hounding me to sign up for a 12-24 months plan with “guaranteed” work that will pay for itself. Anyone here us it with success starting out?

Obviously there is no guarantee that the GC from BB pays there subs. But I have to start somewhere.

Thoughts?

I have used them. Like anything, it's only as good as the effort you put in. But if you do sign up put pressure on your Rep to introduce you to the GCs. The direct connection from Bluebook and the GCs they rep connecting you as sub to them with an actual face to face meeting is where the value is.

Javajoe

Reaction score
Blue Book? That’s still around? Hopefully it’s online now lol. Use to look up companies 20 years ago with that.

riverbrian

Chloe's Dad
Reaction score
As a supplier I passed for the past decade, I hired a new sales guy that swore by it. So in good spirit I paid for a year.

so far zero action, we will never do it again!

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
I used it when I first started my company. After about 6-7 year's I got tired of paying for their ever increasing rates. Towards the end I was spending close to 10K a year and that was over 10 years ago. About 20-30% of the phone calls I received were legitimate job leads. A lot were price checks and contractors I wouldn't work for.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
I used it when I first started my company. After about 6-7 year's I got tired of paying for their ever increasing rates. Towards the end I was spending close to 10K a year and that was over 10 years ago. About 20-30% of the phone calls I received were legitimate job leads. A lot were price checks and contractors I wouldn't work for.
That's way to much. We were sitting 2k with leads generated in all if so cal.

They held some decent meet and greets where I may a few some connections.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
As a supplier I passed for the past decade, I hired a new sales guy that swore by it. So in good spirit I paid for a year.

so far zero action, we will never do it again!
I'd definitely be talking with the BB rep. Push for some intros!

Joker

Reaction score
It’s garbage unless you’re looking for new construction TI stuff. I’ve been with them for maybe 20 years and the leads suck. I only stay in waiting for the big shaker.
Signing up with construct connect next week

Joker

Reaction score

Thoughts?

The best thing i ever got from them was a calendar.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Like said above, it's only as good as the effort you put in. I used it when I worked for a GC. We needed 3 prices for every trade. Honestly majority of the people I called didn't want to put in a competitive effort. Within the first 30 second of the call they said if you aren't going to give me the job I'm not interested.
Story here, I needed a price for erosion control. Silt fence and sandbags. Called many people from Blue Book but they didn't want to go to Hemet. Even I.E. companies. So I found a guy in Hemet on Blue Book. Called and left a voice message. He called back at 7:30 that evening. I picked up because I was needing that price. Get talking about the job and he says he can do the grading and over X. I let him know it might be let out already. He ask the company name and office number and I give it to him. 2 days later he had the contract for the grading and over X. He was aggressive in getting the job and it worked well for everyone. His price was lower, did a great job, it gave him a boost to get his business back on track, repeat business, and a good relationship resulted from it. This was 2012. The real kicker when he asked me my position. I flat out told him, because I was at the time (23yo), I'm a labor that picks up trash, drives the bobcat, and helps the superintendent with computer things. I think most guys would've just hung up after hearing that.

Joker

Reaction score
Like said above, it's only as good as the effort you put in. I used it when I worked for a GC. We needed 3 prices for every trade. Honestly majority of the people I called didn't want to put in a competitive effort. Within the first 30 second of the call they said if you aren't going to give me the job I'm not interested.
Story here, I needed a price for erosion control. Silt fence and sandbags. Called many people from Blue Book but they didn't want to go to Hemet. Even I.E. companies. So I found a guy in Hemet on Blue Book. Called and left a voice message. He called back at 7:30 that evening. I picked up because I was needing that price. Get talking about the job and he says he can do the grading and over X. I let him know it might be let out already. He ask the company name and office number and I give it to him. 2 days later he had the contract for the grading and over X. He was aggressive in getting the job and it worked well for everyone. His price was lower, did a great job, it gave him a boost to get his business back on track, repeat business, and a good relationship resulted from it. This was 2012. The real kicker when he asked me my position. I flat out told him, because I was at the time (23yo), I'm a labor that picks up trash, drives the bobcat, and helps the superintendent with computer things. I think most guys would've just hung up after hearing that.
What exactly do you do and what are you looking for the blue book to provide? If you’re just looking for subs, that’s an expensive google search. If you’re looking for work, ask them for a free trial to see if it’s worth it.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
It’s garbage unless you’re looking for new construction TI stuff. I’ve been with them for maybe 20 years and the leads suck. I only stay in waiting for the big shaker.
Signing up with construct connect next week
That's where we are at now, construct connect. I definitely like the platform better.

Again the only saving grace for BB was first hand intros.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score

Thoughts?

Hammer, check to see if you were already in it..... my old company, we never advertised, but they had us in it.....
I always used it when I was looking for a sub.....

Hammer

Reaction score
I’ve never had good luck with finding subs as a GC (I’m a PM for a Commercial GC now)on BB. They are typically really desperate or making the jump from residential to commercial and don’t have the capital to go 30-45 days or they just aren’t good enough.

I have better luck with google, looking at the subs website and seeing if they would be a good fit. Sometimes the sub is “too big” to do our work so I don’t waste their time. The ones that look like a good fit I pick up the phone and ask for the estimating Dept. Get to know them that way, usually I can talk the busy guys(typically the sub you want) to get me a bid or at least look at the job. I’ve had really good luck all over the country that way.

I was just curious how the RDP commercial sub-contractors got started out at the beginning. There is a wealth of knowledge and talent on this board that I can learn from. [emoji106]

Hammer

Reaction score
Hammer, check to see if you were already in it..... my old company, we never advertised, but they had us in it.....
I always used it when I was looking for a sub.....

I’m in it now. Bidding on some stuff. I just don’t want to unload $2500 to be “a part of BB”(I’m not opposed to paying for marketing/advertisement if it makes sense) I’d rather pick up the phone and get qualified with proven GC’s and earn their work. I know how this industry is(or can be)... not looking to end up liening a property for payment on my first awarded contract. Lol

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
I’m in it now. Bidding on some stuff. I just don’t want to unload $2500 to be “a part of it”. I’d rather pick up the phone and get qualified with proven GC’s and earn their work. I know how this industry is... not looking to end up liening a property for payment on my first awarded contract. Lol

IMO, I'd save your $$$$, your success is on YOUR SHOULDERS.... not advertising in Blue Book...
Honest, Great work, leads to a profitable, long running Business....
GC's are always needing reasonable priced Subs, who stand behind their work..

Good Luck

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
I’ve never had good luck with finding subs as a GC (I’m a PM for a Commercial GC now)on BB. They are typically really desperate or making the jump from residential to commercial and don’t have the capital to go 30-45 days or they just aren’t good enough.

I have better luck with google, looking at the subs website and seeing if they would be a good fit. Sometimes the sub is “too big” to do our work so I don’t waste their time. The ones that look like a good fit I pick up the phone and ask for the estimating Dept. Get to know them that way, usually I can talk the busy guys(typically the sub you want) to get me a bid or at least look at the job. I’ve had really good luck all over the country that way.

I was just curious how the RDP commercial sub-contractors got started out at the beginning. There is a wealth of knowledge and talent on this board that I can learn from. [emoji106]

Well if you ever need abatement/demo I'm your guy. Depending on the project or your needs we can order some other trades as well.

Your ad here

Reaction score
What exactly do you do and what are you looking for the blue book to provide? If you’re just looking for subs, that’s an expensive google search. If you’re looking for work, ask them for a free trial to see if it’s worth it.
I was on the customer side of it. Looking for sub contractors. General contractor building automotive dealerships in Southern California. What I was getting at with my post is the guys in BB that were aggressive got more attention. Finding trades and numbers was easier than using google.

Last edited:

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I’m in it now. Bidding on some stuff. I just don’t want to unload $2500 to be “a part of BB”(I’m not opposed to paying for marketing/advertisement if it makes sense) I’d rather pick up the phone and get qualified with proven GC’s and earn their work. I know how this industry is(or can be)... not looking to end up liening a property for payment on my first awarded contract. Lol

Are you still with E*** and Sons. Or you starting out on your own?

Your ad here

Reaction score

That's were I think you have to in a way "interview" your customer. I do side work and it's nothing great or special but after meeting some of these people (customers) I tell them it's not a job for me.

relaxalot

Reaction score
If anyone needs a great millwork sub give me a look. We are good with commercial or residential work. We also can take care of your interior or exterior painting jobs. We have been in business 30 years.
Dan Zachary
S.W. Fixtures, Inc.
951-288-5440

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
If anyone needs a great millwork sub give me a look. We are good with commercial or residential work. We also can take care of your interior or exterior painting jobs. We have been in business 30 years.
Dan Zachary
S.W. Fixtures, Inc.
951-288-5440

What states? What region?