WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Contractors in Lake havasu..... (Call out thread)

Hammer

Reaction score

arch stanton

Reaction score
Hear are some pics from my favorite job at Fort Irwin Weed Army Hospital that was finished 4 years ago and we are still owed 3.5 million from the Army Corps and Turner
36 foot deep hole for a 500,000 water tank step cut at 1 1/2 to 1 and then 1 to 1 slope, the hole and pump house structure were abandoned and backfilled 6 inches a lift with a nuclear and a sand cone compaction test every lift all material was screened 1 inch minus and pump house was filled with 3/4 rock, why you ask was it abandoned well turns out its not allowed to put your sewer line over your fresh water storage but somehow nobody noticed until Toneman concrete had finished the pump house and I was cutting for the slab for the tank.
IMG_4346.jpg
IMG_4480.jpg
IMG_4471.jpg

Hammer

Reaction score
Hear are some pics from my favorite job at Fort Irwin Weed Army Hospital that was finished 4 years ago and we are still owed 3.5 million from the Army Corps and Turner
36 foot deep hole for a 500,000 water tank step cut at 1 1/2 to 1 and then 1 to 1 slope, the hole and pump house structure were abandoned and backfilled 6 inches a lift with a nuclear and a sand cone compaction test every lift all material was screened 1 inch minus and pump house was filled with 3/4 rock, why you ask was it abandoned well turns out its not allowed to put your sewer line over your fresh water storage but somehow nobody noticed until Toneman concrete had finished the pump house and I was cutting for the slab for the tank.
View attachment 945249 View attachment 945251 View attachment 945250

I can’t believe that miss made it through plan check... 3.5M is a big chunk of change.

I dig dirt work and ground up construction. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
View attachment 945249 View attachment 945251 View attachment 945250
So I've had a few dealings with the Army Cor but this is insane. So you were a sub to Turner? And Turner can't collect from the Cor?

I can't stand when deals go like this. I've been in a bad spot as a sub where the GC can't get their shit straight and end up getting payments delayed or denied. Then we don't get paid for months or years. Something like what you posted could put people out of business.

Yet the Gov had programs and incentives to use small business, yet they will allow this to happen? Ridiculous.

arch stanton

Reaction score
So I've had a few dealings with the Army Cor but this is insane. So you were a sub to Turner? And Turner can't collect from the Cor?

I can't stand when deals go like this. I've been in a bad spot as a sub where the GC can't get their shit straight and end up getting payments delayed or denied. Then we don't get paid for months or years. Something like what you posted could put people out of business.

Yet the Gov had programs and incentives to use small business, yet they will allow this to happen? Ridiculous.
Yes it did put us out of business we finished the job and closed up shop, we are going to court with turner against the Army corps everybody who worked that job got shafted it was not turners fault and while the Army corp could have made things better this was caused by a terrible plan done by a private company that the Corp hired.
We were a small minority contractor that turner used to fulfill the minority requirements but in the end we got the shaft with everyone else, the original contract was less than 3 million we expected to wait to get payed on the change orders and delay claims but did not think it would go this far south we did get the full amount of the original contract plus made money making and selling rock, sand and class 2 base made from the rock screened out of all the backfill.

arch stanton

Reaction score
This job was done just before the Fort Irwin job we demoed 40 plus apartment units in 5 separate buildings crushed all the concrete and asphalt and made rec cl 2 base and graded back for 80 plus units and some retail buildings the job was in San Marcos. the grapple on the Link-Belt is the only way to go, way better than a bucket and thumb.The concrete footings are just pulled out, and the bobcat was used by what we refer to as termites the Mexican contractors that take all the usable wood to Mexico we moved it onto the second floor on a few buildings.
IMG_2832.jpg
IMG_2834.jpg
IMG_2872.jpg
IMG_2985.jpg

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I'm not going to quote any posts out of due respect and I think 99.5% of the guys agree on here. Jawboning and giving a little shit in fun is no doubt an age old past time. It is what makes a boring day go a little faster and often adds a smile. I never had an HR person to deal with hurt feelings. They probably would have quit day one and just been another leach that beat up on my unemployment insurance which was not free nor actual insurance from what I learned in the long run.
That being said.
Laugh or Focking cry or get the fock out was my motto and I never really cared what it cost me unless it was someone who quit and came back 4 months later with a claim. I lost every claim no matter the lawyers I hired. It was just cheaper to kick their can down the road. As a small guy I realized I was not even a tiny fish in a large pond, but an ATM to add to the coffers with California laws backing up their position while I was hamstrung.
I have a lot of respect for the men who on a smaller scale pull off an everyday business.
It is not like showing up with a hangover pissed off at the world and barely making it through the day just to rinse and repeat. It involves 4X the work of the average employee.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Not me... I partied back then and didn’t give a shit about working. Thanks for the 7 years ago throwback wheeler.[emoji849]

This place never disappoints with old pictures of me having a good time.

You have always been a good sport! That's what we like about you. 😃

Just read the PM you sent. I'll ditch the photos.

Last edited:

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Yes it did put us out of business we finished the job and closed up shop, we are going to court with turner against the Army corps everybody who worked that job got shafted it was not turners fault and while the Army corp could have made things better this was caused by a terrible plan done by a private company that the Corp hired.
We were a small minority contractor that turner used to fulfill the minority requirements but in the end we got the shaft with everyone else, the original contract was less than 3 million we expected to wait to get payed on the change orders and delay claims but did not think it would go this far south we did get the full amount of the original contract plus made money making and selling rock, sand and class 2 base made from the rock screened out of all the backfill.
Dam! Sorry to hear that! Been there similar but on a much smaller scale as far as the loss goes. Painful but we got through it.

It's upsetting to hear stories like this. Hopefully you recoup the losses.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
This job was done just before the Fort Irwin job we demoed 40 plus apartment units in 5 separate buildings crushed all the concrete and asphalt and made rec cl 2 base and graded back for 80 plus units and some retail buildings the job was in San Marcos. the grapple on the Link-Belt is the only way to go, way better than a bucket and thumb.The concrete footings are just pulled out, and the bobcat was used by what we refer to as termites the Mexican contractors that take all the usable wood to Mexico we moved it onto the second floor on a few buildings.
View attachment 945262 View attachment 945263 View attachment 945264 View attachment 945265
I've never used one of the grapples like that. Looks awesome.

Hammer

Reaction score

We are required to hit a 30% minority/SBE spend in our MSA with sub contractors. On top of that the client expects three quality bids for each trade. It makes it tough on the small guy who meets these requirements then is expected to go 60-90 days without a draw because the client had some accounting hiccup and didn't tell us they hadn't sent payment and we have to wait to the next billing cycle. The GC shouldn't have to float the clients bill to the sub. I hate that part and I get myself in trouble when I tell(or ask politely) accounting to cut said sub a check, I need to stay on schedule and they've done the work. I always hear, "Client hasn't paid.. Company protocol is..." LOL

Several posts touched based on what its like to be a contractor in California. It tough.

My insight on doing work in Lake Havasu was simply to offer quality work and timelines to people who expect more and are willing to pay for it. I am customer service driven and hate seeing people get strung out by contractors. At the same time, if you are not willing to pay the price for good work that's done on time, you can't cry about it after.

Good thread... Arch... tough to read your Situation with Army Corps and Turner.

Last edited:

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
We are required to hit a 30% minority/SBE spend in our MSA with sub contractors. On top of that the client expects three quality bids for each trade. It makes it tough on the small guy who meets these requirements then is expected to 60-90 days without a draw because the client had some accounting hiccup and didnt tell us they hadnt sent payment we have to wait to the next billing cycle.

Several posts touched based on what its like to be a contractor in California. It tough.

My insight on doing work in Lake Havasu was simply to offer quality work and timelines to people who expect more and are willing to pay for it. I am customer service driven and hate seeing people get strung out by contractors. At the same time, if you are not willing to pay the price for good work that's done on time, you can't cry about it after.

Good thread... Arch... tough to read your Situation with Army Corps and Turner.
You nailed is Hammer.

Small business fight hard to get out of the small one off jobs for a chance to work with Big GCs or clients because they seem safer but if they get caught in a bad spot waiting for 90+ days to get paid it can be devastating.

Yet we push on lol. There are some good client's/projects out there. just have to find them lol.

82daytona

Reaction score
Gonna be set up for hot mopping showers in phx area soon will go to havasu also so anyone needs waterproofer for showers keep in mind.
I’ll keep you in mind for our slab showers. The Vegas shower we spoke of will be soon ready too.