WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Convert. Eliminator OB

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I am a convert to the church

Formerly a die hard car boat motor guy. All my previous boats were inboards.

But I caught the OB bug bad. So I built my first OB boat. Eliminator 27 Speedster with twin 400 R’s.

Here is my offering to the church.

Please accept this as my repentance for my sins. I throw myself upon the mercy of the church!!

In outboards name we pray!!

D23ECC16-B527-44DA-8627-06BF65318AE2.jpeg
996DEC15-E46A-424D-928E-CE33AB7993DA.jpeg
266B38A4-A444-4E17-9193-EEA13C7CEA75.jpeg
831AB22F-542C-4FB8-92EF-00926A5B2AD3.jpeg

Last edited:

lenmann

Reaction score
Great looking boat and congrats.

I will keep an eye out for you on Shasta this summer.

RCDave

Reaction score

But I caught the OB bug bad. So I built my first OB boat. Eliminator 27 Speedster with twin 400 R’s.

Please accept my repentance for my sins. I throw myself upon the mercy of the church!!

View attachment 981402 View attachment 981403 View attachment 981404 View attachment 981405

Congratulations. I take a bow to your patience.

Your gonna have a great summer

stevesdcb

Reaction score

Please accept my repentance for my sins. I throw myself upon the mercy of the church!!

View attachment 981402 View attachment 981403 View attachment 981404 View attachment 981405
Outstanding! I myself have been boat less for the past 2 years, finishing a car project. Kinda watching & waiting on another boat. Have always been a stubborn inboard dude. Been doing some research on outboards......considering one. Very interested in your opinion....pros & cons inboard vs outboard. Please keep us posted.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
You see the outboards before the see the boat cool colors but I guess I’m a old boater

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Outstanding! I myself have been boat less for the past 2 years, finishing a car project. Kinda watching & waiting on another boat. Have always been a stubborn inboard dude. Been doing some research on outboards......considering one. Very interested in your opinion....pros & cons inboard vs outboard. Please keep us posted.

I was a staunch inboard guy, even spent a MINT building a 598" BBC with IMCO SCX/SC drive in a 25 Daytona for a 1000 mile journey up the entire Ohio River. Wish I woulda converted to the Outboard Church prior but we all live and learn. Go for a ride with an outboard enthusiastic that runs their boat HARD for many miles and you will convert. If you want to sit & blab about how cool your big block(s) are then more power to you.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
We tried to integrate the color of the outboards with some accent colors in the gel.

I selected the black outboards because it blends with the blue of the boat and contrasts white.

The black stripe was added to blend the black outboards. Then we are adding a blue silver stripe to the outboards.

We could have done white outboards but that is attempting to blend it. Going black tries to contrast It. Either way it’s an attempt to integrate the colors.

It will look great once it’s finished and we get some better pictures.

Note. I did none of this as EB helped with all this stuff.

You see the outboards before the see the boat cool colors but I guess I’m a old boater

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
This will be real interesting. I had the same exact boat but with an inboard. So this is a direct comparison.

I was offered a ride in a boat like mine with OBs but could not make it.

I hope to drive it soon but it will be awhile till I wring it out.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Oh for you OB guys you will note an adjustable jack plate on this boat. This is a first on this boat.

EB was able to find a new product that would work on this boat and finally added one.

I am not sure what to think having never driven one but we will see. They are very excited.

Evidently I am told the fixed jack plate they used before came with compromises when setting the fixed motor height. (it was adjustable but needed adjustment on land) This eliminates those compromises as it is adjustable while underway.

I discussed it with them so I understand how it will be used.

Duramax

Reaction score
Oh for you OB guys you will note an adjustable jack plate on this boat. This is a first on this boat.

EB was able to find a new product that would work on this boat and finally added one.

I am not sure what to think having never driven one but we will see. They are very excited.

Evidently I am told the fixed jack plate they used before came with compromises when setting the fixed motor height. (it was adjustable but needed adjustment on land) This eliminates those compromises as it is adjustable while underway.

Adjustable plates will be great. You will love it.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

Adjustable plates are great to help with set-up in different situations. You can throw some small props on it, bury the engines, and cruise very comfortably with kids or watersports (as much as the boat will be able to do at least) and not have to get on top of everything so the engines aren't struggling. Or, you can throw the big wheels on it, raise the engines, and let that big girl fly! It also helps a lot when dialing in precise set-ups. Just watch the water pressure when going up.

I REALLY want to put a jack plate on mine but haven't had the coin to do so.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
In the interest of full disclose I did buy an OB toon last year. So not my first OB.

It has a Honda Minivan motor on it. But it runs good, sips fuel, reliable, smooth and
quiet

57C461AE-E3DD-4099-8C8B-8D2EB68992DA.jpeg
CB2EE883-9E4C-44FD-9E0A-9AAB483F56D4.jpeg

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
They are taking it to Havasu for the shows on 4/10-4/11 and 4/22.

I might go to Desert Storm to pick it up. I should have it back up here after that.

Hell ya, hope to see it before I go

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I saw that!!!! Headed to the show

Water Romper

Reaction score
Damn, That's a really NICE looking boat- that would eat my little Hallett for lunch. Would love to see it in the water.

RCDave

Reaction score
After what you went through with the engine builder on the prior boat, I'm so happy for you with this one. Absolutely stunning

fmo24

Reaction score
Do these boats have the same hop with the OB versus big blocks ?

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
So I just got done with the maiden voyage last weekend. Here are my impressions.

As you know I had the same exact boat, 27 Speedster but with an IO. The old boat was underpowered at 600 HP and could have used more HP which would have changed things.

I first drove the new boat at Desert Storm. As you know it was super rough out and the rollers were all over. On the first day the lake was so rough I was not comfortable running it hard. But like the last boat it ran good in the chop despite being so rough. I only felt comfortable going 75 mph on the lake but usually ran about 65. When I got into the gorge things were different. I was able to run it a bit harder. But I only felt comfortable up to about 90 mph being the first time I drove it.

With two sets of trim to play with, the jackplate trim and motor trim there was a lot to do. It took some getting used to all the trim buttons. I also needed to experiment with the trim & jackplate settings. EB gave me some advice on where to start but I needed to get used to it myself. It being so choppy helped me get used to the handling in poor conditions which was very helpful. Now we know how it handles when it is shitty.

The OB boat carried the nose quite well, so much so I don't need to trim it at all. It carried the nose much better at lower speeds than my old boat.

At first I thought the boat carried the nose too much. But over time and after discussing it with EB I realized it was a bit light in the nose which is a good thing. More like the I/O boat plowed the nose too much and didn't carry the nose enough. This boat should naturally carry the nose about 5 degrees at speed by itself, as designed.

The conclusion I came to was that my old I/O boat did not carry the nose enough. Which makes sense since that is what we were trying to do to get more speed out of it and were not successful. I figure that that my previous impression that the I/O boat felt more "planted" was a misnomer, but in fact the I/O boat rode too wet.

The OB boat felt lighter but not too light as it just rode less wet and right were we wanted it to ride to go fast but not dangerous.

Overall the boat felt quick. Through the gorge I was able to roll on the speed at will and make passes quickly. Move up and around and duck back in safely. I like the way the power and speed comes on, very smooth and it just keeps building. The power is not a blinding push you back in the seat but more about building RPM then building speed smoothly, quietly and quickly. (it felt like driving a high HP small displacement motor around a track) The more RPM you build the faster it goes. It pulls hard from 50-90 mph. In fact it felt a lot like driving a sports car around a road course. It was fun.

Once I got use the handling I could drive it through the normal lake chop like the old boat. Instead I could pass quickly with the available power of the OB's unlike the old boat. The boat does not porpoise at speed. On my one speed run to 90 MPH it took a good set and went from 55 - 90 quickly.

The OB's are smooth, quiet and very fast. Full consumption was good as I drove around a lot. I don't know the top speed because I was not able to get to that.

My overall impression was very good as the speed and handling exceeded my expectations. I am looking forward to getting it home where the lake is not nearly as rough as DS so we can get some speed runs. I really need to get some more seat time to get used to how different it feels.

The OB's are very fun just as advertised. So this performance boating thing is about seat of the pants fun and this OB boat has that seat of the pants fun about the way it drives.

3CA53211-57F5-46B9-9997-2CAB202575B8.jpeg
0A75EBD7-D271-4D72-B894-8C7335B41020.jpeg

42EE8F37-5FF0-4190-A387-E23B75383F5D.jpeg

Last edited:

DWC

Reaction score
So I just got done with the maiden voyage last weekend. Here are my impressions.

As you know I had the same exact boat, 27 Speedster but with an IO. The old boat was underpowered at 600 HP and could have used more HP which would have changed things.

I first drove the new boat at Desert Storm. As you know it was super rough out and the rollers were all over. On the first day the lake was so rough I was not comfortable running it hard. But like the last boat it ran good in the chop despite being so rough. I only felt comfortable going 75 mph on the lake but usually ran about 65. When I got into the gorge things were different. I was able to run it a bit harder. But I only felt comfortable up to about 90 mph being the first time I drove it.

With two sets of trim to play with, the jackplate trim and motor trim there was a lot to do. It took some getting used to all the trim buttons. I also needed to experiment with the trim & jackplate settings. EB gave me some advice on where to start but I needed to get used to it myself. It being so choppy helped me get used to the handling in poor conditions which was very helpful. Now we know how it handles when it is shitty.

The OB boat carried the nose quite well, so much so I don't need to trim it at all. It carried the nose much better at lower speeds than my old boat.

At first I thought the boat carried the nose too much. But over time and after discussing it with EB I realized it was a bit light in the nose which is a good thing. More like the I/O boat plowed the nose too much and didn't carry the nose enough. This boat should naturally carry the nose about 5 degrees at speed by itself, as designed.

The conclusion I came to was that my old I/O boat did not carry the nose enough. Which makes sense since that is what we were trying to do to get more speed out of it and were not successful. I figure that that my previous impression that the I/O boat felt more "planted" was a misnomer, but in fact the I/O boat rode too wet.

The OB boat felt lighter but not too light as it just rode less wet and right were we wanted it to ride to go fast but not dangerous.

Overall the boat felt quick. Through the gorge I was able to roll on the speed at will and make passes quickly. Move up and around and duck back in safely. I like the way the power and speed comes on, very smooth and it just keeps building. The power is not a blinding push you back in the seat but more about building RPM then building speed smoothly, quietly and quickly. (it felt like driving a high HP small displacement motor around a track) The more RPM you build the faster it goes. It pulls hard from 50-90 mph. In fact it felt a lot like driving a sports car around a road course. It was fun.

Once I got use the handling I could drive it through the normal lake chop like the old boat. Instead I could pass quickly with the available power of the OB's unlike the old boat. The boat does not porpoise at speed. On my one speed run to 90 MPH it took a good set and went from 55 - 90 quickly.

The OB's are smooth, quiet and very fast. Full consumption was good as I drove around a lot. I don't know the top speed because I was not able to get to that.

My overall impression was very good as the speed and handling exceeded my expectations. I am looking forward to getting it home where the lake is not nearly as rough as DS so we can get some speed runs. I really need to get some more seat time to get used to how different it feels.

The OB's are very fun just as advertised. So this performance boating thing is about seat of the pants fun and this OB boat has that seat of the pants fun about the way it drives.

View attachment 997548 View attachment 997549

View attachment 997557
Is this a pic of you not running it hard! Congrats to you and the family. Followed the thread on the last boat. Glad this boat is dialed in
5AECF508-D7F6-4069-A4C1-1813C46EAD9E.jpeg

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Ya that’s not me. The strips go under the hull.

Still a great picture though.

lenmann

Reaction score
Congrats on a great looking boat. That coupled with performance that you are happy with = mission accomplished.

J.P.

Reaction score
Congrats on your new boat looks great with a timeless gel. :)