WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Convert M4A files to MP3 files saved onto USB for road tunes?

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I want to convert my iTunes files to MP3 files so I can save them on a USB and play them in our vehicles.

Any suggestions on how to do this? I'm using a MacBook Pro but I also have a Windows laptop if it makes a difference.

I've found multiple "free" converters online but the ones I've seen really aren't free (limited to 5 files a day, etc.).

And I'm open to suggestions for better quality file types as long as they'll play from the USB in the trucks and car. Thanks

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I do this on my boat.

ITunes will do this for you.

Highlight songs

Go to File>Convert>Create MP3 Version.

There will then be 2 versions of the song in your library, I usually just save the MP3 version in my music folder and delete the MP4 version from my library.

But once you create the MP3 version you can do whatever you want with the MP3 file.

Last edited:

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
I put all.mine on a stick and just have it plugged into my head unit. Not ITunes though

Taboma

Reaction score
My 18' Raptor's USB and wife's Audi SD card inputs play both ITunes MP4 or MP3 files no problems.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
I do this on my boat.

ITunes will do this for you.

Highlight songs

Go to File>Convert>Create MP3 Version.

There will then be 2 versions of the song in your library, I usually just save the MP3 version in my music folder and delete the MP4 version from my library.

But once you create the MP3 version you can do whatever you want with the MP3 file.

Thanks but I tried that and the only file option iTunes offers me is an AAC version ("Create AAC version" is what the only menu option)

My 18' Raptor's USB and wife's Audi SD card inputs play both ITunes MP4 or MP3 files no problems.

Thanks. My Raptor can probably handle the MP4's like yours (haven't checked yet). But my Jeep's Uconnect can't/won't so therein lies the problem

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Thanks but I tried that and the only file option iTunes offers me is an AAC version ("Create AAC version" is what the only menu option)

Thanks. My Raptor can probably handle the MP4's like yours (haven't checked yet). But my Jeep's Uconnect can't/won't so therein lies the problem

You have to go into your iTunes settings and change the convert format to MP3 from AAC version.

itunes

edit> preferences> Import settings >select import using > choose MP3 encoder.

It should work after that.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
You have to go into your iTunes settings and change the convert format to MP3 from AAC version.

itunes

edit> preferences> Import settings >select import using > choose MP3 encoder.

It should work after that.

Thanks! That did it. But my version of "iTunes" (now called "Apple Music") it's:

Music> Preferences> Files> Import Settings

WhatExit?

Reaction score

With potentially some thousands of songs duplicated, is there an easy way to identify which song is the M4A (audio file to delete) and which is the MP3 (to keep)? I see "Get Info" for each song and then clicking on "File" to see the file type

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
With potentially some thousands of songs duplicated, is there an easy way to identify which song is the M4A (audio file to delete) and which is the MP3 (to keep)? I see "Get Info" for each song and then clicking on "File" to see the file type

Double check, but it will consistently be the top or the bottom song. I don’t remember which, but it will always organize the 2 songs the same way.

Personally I remove the source song, and also have iTunes delete the file, leaving me with just the MP3.

If you were doing everything you have what may be easier is just organizing your MP3s in a separate folder, wipe your library, then import your iTunes library from your new MP3 folder, and use that going forward.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Thanks again. I just added a column called "Date Added" (from the options in iTunes) and can sort using that

gqchris

Reaction score
I got tired of playing the mp3 conversion game and just pay for Spotify for the whole family its like 14bucks a month. Well worth it. Never without music. You can also download and save to playoffline when you are out of range.