WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Converting a MCI bus into an RV...

merc_400r

Reaction score
my scale drawing in sketchup. we have 39' forward the intake "box" at the rear of the coach. theres a queen, then a wall with pocket door. then 4x bunks with a "narrow twin XL" mattress. another wall with pocket door. then a 34x48" shower with a 12" closet for towel storage, vanity and toilet on other side. door. then kitchen. depending on our cabinet choices it should leave us with roughly 12'x8' forward for living area. plus maybe 20" if we turn the queen bed sideways.
View attachment 960383

I would swap the location of the bunks and bathroom. That will separate the main bedroom from the bunks with a bathroom and make both places feel more private. Having the bunks right next to the main bedroom will make it feel like you are in one big room. And every time you need to go to the bathroom at night you don't have to walk past 4 sleeping people and wake them up with lights or worse stepping on toys in the dark (ask me how I know).

hallett21

Reaction score
I would swap the location of the bunks and bathroom. That will separate the main bedroom from the bunks with a bathroom and make both places feel more private. Having the bunks right next to the main bedroom will make it feel like you are in one big room. And every time you need to go to the bathroom at night you don't have to walk past 4 sleeping people and wake them up with lights or worse stepping on toys in the dark (ask me how I know).

Agreed.

Or could you make the bunks queens, push them to the left/right and put a hallway to the master.

Seems like you’d want more privacy in the master.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Agreed.

Or could you make the bunks queens, push them to the left/right and put a hallway to the master.

This

fmo24

Reaction score
Agreed.

Ever try to make a queen bed up from one side? Bunks are narrow enough to reach in but a queen you would be crawling all over wrestling to get the fitted sheet on. Lol

4Waters

Reaction score
Ever try to make a queen bed up from one side? Bunks are narrow enough to reach in but a queen you would be crawling all over wrestling to get the fitted sheet on. Lol
Full mattress at the most but I would do a twin or full extra long, something kids can grow into.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
This is an awesome project! Gonna go check out the youtube vids

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
This came in the mail. It’ll be super helpful. Full wiring schematics and details on just about every aspect of the bus.
2B7EF78E-655B-45DB-8D0A-689C4C958527.jpeg
20610ACD-DAA3-4B1F-A351-6C5B40E5E95A.jpeg

9BFCAD1A-D9B6-4F3D-ABC6-7F84C57C1258.jpeg

It even goes into detail on how to wash it.
742B4F93-D722-43AD-B42C-2EBB52A818E4.jpeg

That Guy

Rack em'
Reaction score
This is incredibly impressive. Your knowledge of...well....just about everything is awesome! 👍 Enjoying watching the transformation.

outboard_256

Reaction score

I agree too. It makes much more sense to have the bathroom between the 2 sleeping quarters. I modified your drawing so you can get a visual. I am not very good with computers but you get the idea.

floorPlan.png

ka0tyk

Reaction score
I agree too. It makes much more sense to have the bathroom between the 2 sleeping quarters. I modified your drawing so you can get a visual. I am not very good with computers but you get the idea.

View attachment 961719

two issues.

the plumbing would be right where the rear wheels are.

it pushes the bunks where the kids would be forward towards the living area. So at night and morning it would be louder.

I’m not opposed but this weekend we are gonna look at where things would end up, windows being blacked out etc.

braindead

Reaction score
two issues.

the plumbing would be right where the rear wheels are.

it pushes the bunks where the kids would be forward towards the living area. So at night and morning it would be louder.

I’m not opposed but this weekend we are gonna look at where things would end up, windows being blacked out etc.

considering you’re probably going to be keeping this thing for a couple years, do you want to hear your kids in the bathroom every time you’re in your bedroom or do you want your kids to have to listen to you in the living room? I know my vote

ka0tyk

Reaction score
What a crazy project. How many fortune cookie wrappers and chopsticks did you find when ripping out all the interior? :)

the interior was absolutely disgusting. theres probably $20 in change alone. no chopsticks. but i did find one of those fold out fans.

Reactions: D19

buck35

Reaction score
This is fascinating! Please keep us up to date on the process.

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
Looks like this is going to be a great thread to follow. I just subscribed to your youtube page, I love watching stuff like this on youtube. Right now i'm following a couple that's using an HDT (Big Rig) to haul there fifth wheel around. I'm a truck driver and would love to retire and travel around in a Semi with my fifth wheel following behind me.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
so are you trying to monetize the YouTube channel?

my buddy was telling me there’s no $$ anymore in it?

eh i think it'll be fun to look back at the videos and see what we did. that and *IF* (very slim chance) i have to sell it, the new buyer would be able to see exactly whats done to it.

as far as monetization you need 1000 subscribers and 4k hours of watch time in 6 months. is it doable? sure. I watch this bus conversion channel. guy is pretty thorough whereas so far I've really just been demo'ing. recording video, talking, working, setting up "b roll" shots all takes time. id kinda rather be cranking away working but eh some of our friends/family members enjoy watching the progress. editing all the footage in the world is the hardest part into making it something someones gonna want to watch.

this guy has 10k subscribers with videos averaging 3-10k views each. from a quick google he probably makes $25 per video on average. so roughly $3k so far made. better than nothing!

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Ok now for all you electrical nerds...

I grabbed a 50 foot 50 amp cable.

816V3Cxc1EL._AC_SX425_.jpg

That will enter the bus thru a 50 amp receptacle.

61rxjKXIFTL.jpg

Then it will go to a 50 amp "surgeguard" hardwired surge protector (highly recommended by many to get a surge protector, I figured if I get one I'd rather have it wired into the bus than dangling off a power pole all mickey moused into my extension cord).

55-2727-2.jpg

Then from that it'll go to a 50 amp breaker panel as my first breaker.

square-d-spa-panels-home250spa-64_1000.jpg

then from there to a load center 12 space panel and I'll be doing the following:
1x 15a for rear bedroom, bunks, and living room wall outlets
1x 15a gfci for kitchen and bath
1x 20a for induction cooktop
1x 15a for fridge
2x 20a for rooftop ac
1x 15a in storage bay
81QGJjC1W3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I'll be using 14/3 marine stranded and tinned cable for all the 15a circuits and 12/3 for the 20a. All the runs should be sub 25'.
41Pq-SWDArL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Wall outlets will have leviton built in usb plugs.
51hccHCiDDL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Kitchen and bath will have gfci outlets.

Does that pass planning inspection?

Kbach

Reaction score

View attachment 962041

View attachment 962047

Then it will go to a 50 amp "surgeguard" hardwired surge protector (highly recommended by many to get a surge protector, I figured if I get one I'd rather have it wired into the bus than dangling off a power pole all mickey moused into my extension cord).

View attachment 962049

View attachment 962050

then from there to a load center 12 space panel and I'll be doing the following:
1x 15a for fridge
2x 20a for rooftop ac
1x 15a in storage bay
View attachment 962059

I'll be using 14/3 marine stranded and tinned cable for all the 15a circuits and 12/3 for the 20a. All the runs should be sub 25'.
View attachment 962057

View attachment 962056

Don’t forget the transfer switch.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Don’t forget the transfer switch.

I'm figuring that part out. I'll need some type of "switch" once I get into adding the DC side with a power inverter and solar. Just looking around on RV conversion sites and diagrams on the best way to go about it.

fmo24

Reaction score
My generator also goes thru the surge protector. About a 30 second delay going from land line to generator as it checks if clean power.

Tank

Reaction score
WOW! This is awesome. Man your skills are impressive.

When I see all that storage space underneath I immediately think "you could put a couple quads under there" and then I started to think, that just seems like such wasted space. Wonder if anyone doing one of these conversions has ever put a ladder from the upper portion to the storage area from inside and built a bunk room in part of the storage area. Think of the aft cabin in some 40+ foot boats where the helm is over the room so the ceiling is super low but you have a couple single beds and a tv. Could even put windows in down there for air and light. That shit would be DOPE!!!

ka0tyk

Reaction score
My generator also goes thru the surge protector. About a 30 second delay going from land line to generator as it checks if clean power.

ah that reminds me of the generators. im waiting for a HF special on the predator 3500's. ive seen one running and its pretty dang quiet. I'll be tossing it into the spare tire area up front and insulating the heck out of em. that should give me roughly 50 amps of generator power when parallel'ed together. normally they're $799, ive seen specials and coupons for mid 600's.

ka0tyk

Reaction score

When I see all that storage space underneath I immediately think "you could put a couple quads under there" and then I started to think, that just seems like such wasted space. Wonder if anyone doing one of these conversions has ever put a ladder from the upper portion to the storage area from inside and built a bunk room in part of the storage area. Think of the aft cabin in some 40+ foot boats where the helm is over the room so the ceiling is super low but you have a couple single beds and a tv. Could even put windows in down there for air and light. That shit would be DOPE!!!

It *HAS* crossed our minds to put a hatch in the living area where the kids can go down into the front storage bay while parked. Obviously its very low priority though. I'll be putting up divider walls between the storage bays and probably just some carpet on the walls and floor. As far as space goes, I can fit 3 of my kids power wheels down there no problem. Its a crazy amount of room.

fmo24

Reaction score
ah that reminds me of the generators. im waiting for a HF special on the predator 3500's. ive seen one running and its pretty dang quiet. I'll be tossing it into the spare tire area up front and insulating the heck out of em. that should give me roughly 50 amps of generator power when parallel'ed together. normally they're $799, ive seen specials and coupons for mid 600's.
I would look for a used Cummins 10000 or bigger. I’m surprised it does not have one already. We run ours while on the road to run roof airs to keep coach cool.

Kbach

Reaction score
I would look for a used Cummins 10000 or bigger. I’m surprised it does not have one already. We run ours while on the road to run roof airs to keep coach cool.

Completely agree on going with a dedicated diesel genset. Not necessarily as big as 10k but a 7.5k minimum.

Dealing with separate generators paralleled, trying to remotely start them, adding gas instead of it being hardlined into the diesel tank...all PITA factors that will outweigh the cost savings as far as I’m concerned. They can be found on Craigslist and forums fairly cheap compared to what they cost new.

Kbach

Reaction score
I'm figuring that part out. I'll need some type of "switch" once I get into adding the DC side with a power inverter and solar. Just looking around on RV conversion sites and diagrams on the best way to go about it.

The main transfer switch will be independent of the 12V side of things. My Monaco has an Iota ITS50 which was the same as my old Southwind gas coach had so they’re fairly common.

Also, some invertors will have a transfer switch built in to them as well to feed either genset/shore power or power from the inverter.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Completely agree on going with a dedicated diesel genset. Not necessarily as big as 10k but a 7.5k minimum.

Dealing with separate generators paralleled, trying to remotely start them, adding gas instead of it being hardlined into the diesel tank...all PITA factors that will outweigh the cost savings as far as I’m concerned. They can be found on Craigslist and forums fairly cheap compared to what they cost new.

Absolutely 100% correct here. Don't waste time or resoures on the gas unit, you all ready have a fuel supply in the bus. Stay with that.
Make sure you get one of the newer quiet ones. some of the old ones are about like construction site generators....... Ideally with an inverter for the electronics

As a second note, if you have not already bought the surge guard, hold on that and seriously look into this:

Amazon.com: Hughes Autoformers RV220-50SP Voltage Booster (with Surge Protection), 1 Pack: Automotive

by far the real issue in most campgrounds is low voltage. This is incredibly common. This does the surge protection and fixes reasonable low voltage automatically. I will be installing one in my unit in the next few months.

outboard_256

Reaction score

Lets see 2 $600 harbor freight generators or a $10,000 diesel generator. I think we all know what is going in this build.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Absolutely 100% correct here. Don't waste time or resoures on the gas unit, you all ready have a fuel supply in the bus. Stay with that.
Make sure you get one of the newer quiet ones. some of the old ones are about like construction site generators....... Ideally with an inverter for the electronics

As a second note, if you have not already bought the surge guard, hold on that and seriously look into this:

Amazon.com: Hughes Autoformers RV220-50SP Voltage Booster (with Surge Protection), 1 Pack: Automotive

by far the real issue in most campgrounds is low voltage. This is incredibly common. This does the surge protection and fixes reasonable low voltage automatically. I will be installing one in my unit in the next few months.

so thats the thing. all the onan units i find are all clapped out 3 billion hour units... or theres some nice marine units with extremely low hours but I think they're setup with jacketed exhaust pipes, etc and they're like $6000. Heres my reasoning with the HF units. Yes they will be more effort, but they're extremely quiet and they have a killer warranty. Also we're pretty new to this and trying to find out where to go, what resources we will have available to us, etc. So I dont want to go bonkers with a boondock setup if 99% of the time we're gonna have a plug within 20 feet. The HF route is a little hokey but it gets us on the road and it doesnt cost a fortune. If we find out "hey we're running on gen power or our solar/battery bank cant keep up and we REALLY need a solid genny setup then I'll already have the front bay setup for it.

fmo24

Reaction score
We travel full time and run the gen constantly. Keeps the back of coach cool so at end of day at rest stop or truck stop back bath is not a 1000 degrees. Plus during heat of day jeeps the dogs more comfy running roof airs. I think our gen is getting close to 1000 hours. Coach is 2017

gqchris

Reaction score
It *HAS* crossed our minds to put a hatch in the living area where the kids can go down into the front storage bay while parked. Obviously its very low priority though. I'll be putting up divider walls between the storage bays and probably just some carpet on the walls and floor. As far as space goes, I can fit 3 of my kids power wheels down there no problem. Its a crazy amount of room.

You gotta do this bro. I saw Meet the Fockers last week and thought of your build!

IMG_3799.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score

Before buying into the "Autotransformer" marketing hype, you may want to research it a bit more. There's a reason the National Electrical Code under chapter 5, article 551 (Recreational Vehicles & Recreational Vehicle Parks ) section 20, states "Autotransformers Shall Not Be Used".

Why ? Because it's not a "Free Energy" magical device. It doesn't create energy, it's not a boosting generator, it doesn't absorb and output energy from the universe.
What it does is, boosts your voltage using step-up transformer windings, which results in placing a higher amperage (Load) demand on the RV park's already struggling system. If the park's system wasn't already struggling, then you wouldn't need the Autotransformer in the first place.

In other words, your voltage improves causing those around you to suffer in order to make your life better.

There's nothing new tech about using Autotransformers to boost voltage. This one has fancy lights and an undervoltage relay, but I carried a similar sized autotransformer in the late 60's performing electrical construction roughing in tract houses. We called them Buck and Boost Transformers, when drilling (Augering) holes for the romex we'd often have 200' feet of cord laid out. The resistance of 200' of cord resulted in lower voltage at the drill, this low voltage slowed the drill down, caused it to bog, caused it to STOP when encountering a nail --- stopping was bad, because when these high torque drills suddenly stopped, they tended to twist you up like a pretzel.
So by placing this magical device between the first 100' of cord and the 2nd, it boosted the voltage so with a sharp auger, we could blow through nails and make the big $$.

These devices have been discussed at length on various RV forums.
Here's one if you care to explore the subject further.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

View attachment 962041

View attachment 962047

View attachment 962049

View attachment 962050

1x 15a for fridge
2x 20a for rooftop ac
1x 15a in storage bay
View attachment 962059

View attachment 962057

View attachment 962056

How are you going to power the converter/charger? Or do you plan on not having any 12v in the coach? Likely just be the lights, fart fan, range hood furnace, and fridge if you do a 3 way..

I'd strongly suggest you decide exactly how much battery/inverter capacity you plan on having now before you begin wiring everything. A residential fridge is nice for size, but it comes with a lot of other power requirements. Its kind of sounding like you aren't planning on any propane system?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Canuck 1

Midget Hater
Reaction score

a basement bedroom

cxr

Reaction score
your already this deep into it add some slideous for more bedroom, closet and bunk rooms lol

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Before buying into the "Autotransformer" marketing hype, you may want to research it a bit more. There's a reason the National Electrical Code under chapter 5, article 551 (Recreational Vehicles & Recreational Vehicle Parks ) section 20, states "Autotransformers Shall Not Be Used".

Why ? Because it's not a "Free Energy" magical device. It doesn't create energy, it's not a boosting generator, it doesn't absorb and output energy from the universe.
What it does is, boosts your voltage using step-up transformer windings, which results in placing a higher amperage (Load) demand on the RV park's already struggling system. If the park's system wasn't already struggling, then you wouldn't need the Autotransformer in the first place.

In other words, your voltage improves causing those around you to suffer in order to make your life better.

There's nothing new tech about using Autotransformers to boost voltage. This one has fancy lights and an undervoltage relay, but I carried a similar sized autotransformer in the late 60's performing electrical construction roughing in tract houses. We called them Buck and Boost Transformers, when drilling (Augering) holes for the romex we'd often have 200' feet of cord laid out. The resistance of 200' of cord resulted in lower voltage at the drill, this low voltage slowed the drill down, caused it to bog, caused it to STOP when encountering a nail --- stopping was bad, because when these high torque drills suddenly stopped, they tended to twist you up like a pretzel.
So by placing this magical device between the first 100' of cord and the 2nd, it boosted the voltage so with a sharp auger, we could blow through nails and make the big $$.

You can take your Ohm's Law bullshit and go stand over there....

No body got time for that nonsense.

🤣

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Many of the successful You Tune channels are just merch sales that happen to have YouTube channels these days. The merch sales far outweigh the YouTube revenue.

Much like having a real estate business with a web forum :)

Last edited:

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score

Right after having to replace thousands of dollars worth of stuff in your RV because of low voltage, You get less sympathetic about this whole thing. I am not willing to garbage the entire electrical system in my RV due to this. I am well aware there is no free lunch on this. I can also just charge the 12v house batteries and run everything off them if things get too crazy. Inverters and generators are a real plus. As said, I will be hard wiring one into my coach this spring.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

I watch a ton of YouTube channels, over the last year or so most of the channels I watch that have been around for a long time seem to have pulled the plug on youtube monetization. They all seem to have made deals directly with sponsors, YouTube now tags the video as 'Includes Paid Promotion', so either the video includes some kind of promotion or product placement if it's related to the content, or they will just cut in halfway through the video with a short promotion for the product.

In other words the content producers are making their own commercials and putting them in the videos.

I never see the actual youtube ads because i run uBlock on all my devices, it's painful to watch without it as they will just chop in right in the middle of the video with some completely unrelated loud 15 second video.

Taboma

Reaction score
Right after having to replace thousands of dollars worth of stuff in your RV because of low voltage, You get less sympathetic about this whole thing. I am not willing to garbage the entire electrical system in my RV due to this. I am well aware there is no free lunch on this. I can also just charge the 12v house batteries and run everything off them if things get too crazy. Inverters and generators are a real plus. As said, I will be hard wiring one into my coach this spring.

Certainly understand the frustration. Also understand the popularity of RV autotransformers and the perplexing problem using them creates. Good Luck 👍

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Last weekends progress video.

Finally the aluminum pieces are all gone. Went through lots of planning for rooms and space. Made some adjustments and squeezed about 20” more room to the living area. Electrical pieces are starting to come in. Wiring etc all planning for where to run everything. Finalizing our cabinet order. Looking into ordering our plumbing parts once we get the last 2 walls in which will solidify where the toilet and shower go so I can send off fitting dimensions to the tank place. Should be 100gal fresh, 100 grey, 50 black.

might have an opportunity to get a diesel generator. I think it might fit.

rrrr

Reaction score
so thats the thing. all the onan units i find are all clapped out 3 billion hour units... or theres some nice marine units with extremely low hours but I think they're setup with jacketed exhaust pipes, etc and they're like $6000. Heres my reasoning with the HF units. Yes they will be more effort, but they're extremely quiet and they have a killer warranty. Also we're pretty new to this and trying to find out where to go, what resources we will have available to us, etc. So I dont want to go bonkers with a boondock setup if 99% of the time we're gonna have a plug within 20 feet. The HF route is a little hokey but it gets us on the road and it doesnt cost a fortune. If we find out "hey we're running on gen power or our solar/battery bank cant keep up and we REALLY need a solid genny setup then I'll already have the front bay setup for it.

Your Harbor Freight generators are not meant to be operated in a closed and insulated space with no airflow for ventilation. They'll burn up. RV generator enclosures provide draw through ducting and a crankshaft powered fan that moves air through the alternator and engine which is then exhausted overboard.

How are you going to handle the exhaust? The generator space in an RV is sealed, and manufacturers run extensive tests on prototype RV units to ascertain they do not allow CO infiltration. Running your setup all night with your family on board isn't a good way to find out you made a mistake.

Refueling a hot generator with them inside?

You can only hillbilly things so much.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Your Harbor Freight generators are not meant to be operated in a closed and insulated space with no airflow for ventilation. They'll burn up. RV generator enclosures provide draw through ducting and a crankshaft powered fan that moves air through the alternator and engine which is then exhausted overboard.

How are you going to handle the exhaust? The generator space in an RV is sealed, and manufacturers run extensive tests on prototype RV units to ascertain they do not allow CO infiltration. Running your setup all night with your family on board isn't a good way to find out you made a mistake.

Refueling a hot generator with them inside?

You can only hillbilly things so much.
I've got a proper generator for him....if it'll fit.