WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cool NHL Story last night

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
A game with playoff implications, both Carolina goalies get hurt, so the emergency backup comes in to play half the game and gets the win.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
It was a cool story...the guy reportedly is the Zamboni driver for Toronto of the American Hockey League.

David Ayres was called on to play goalie for the Hurricanes and the 42-year-old allowed two goals on three shots in the final 8:41 of the second period before saving all seven shots he faced in the third to get the 6-3 win.

"It's been great," Ayres told Sportsnet. "Obviously that second period was a little shaky, but I told the boys in the dressing room once we come out for the third I'll be settled down and ready to win this one."

Ayres, who reportedly is the Zamboni driver for Toronto of the American Hockey League, had never played in an NHL game.

"It was awesome," he said. "Obviously time of my life out there. I've been on this ice many times without fans, put fans in the mix it's a whole different game obviously, but, hey once in a lifetime, I'll take it."

Ayres allowed a goal to John Tavares 2:17 after coming in on the first shot he faced, then one to Pierre Engvall 1:34 later on the second shot. He made his first save on a shot by Auston Matthews with 1:07 left.

Carolina scored the only two goals in the third period and outshot Toronto 9-7. Ayres made his final save at the buzzer.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Talk about pressure. Awesome story.

pixrthis

Reaction score
I just saw on the news that he donated his paycheck to a North Carolina kidney foundation. Hockey players are the some of the coolest athletes out there.