WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

COOL OLD TOOLS

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
My Dad turned 86 last August and he is starting to part with stuff... he has a huge shop and cabinets full of anything and everything. My last trip up there he asked that I take a few tools and this set of wrenches was in it. The first time I ever saw these was in 97' and I used them in a portrait for my oldest Son at 1, we had tools and Valve Covers and he had a wrench in his had. I remember saying to my Dad, "I have never seen these before" he laughed and said neither has your brother and that why they are still brand new. A friend gave these to him in the early 60's for all of his help building a Howard Wood Deck, the purpose of the boat was to build a show boat, all one off hardware, Keith Black 392 bored and stroked by the man himself with a cross raw and six two barrels, the boat was painted by Junior but unfortunately burned to the water line I the early 80's...the engine got black but not destroyed and its stashed for a hot rod someday. These wrenches are awesome and every time I look at them I get a memory of that Howard as it was at our house before every river trip so my dad could tune those carbs... I fell asleep in the front seat of that boat at probably 7 years old, and my Dad just put the boat cover over me and I slept in the garage that night.
WRENCHES 1.jpg
WRENCHES 2.jpg
WRENCHES 3.jpg

Jmp

Reaction score
thats awesome, they sure dont make them like that anymore.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Very cool wrenches...now I want to find a set!

Holy crap, Junior painted the boat referenced! That was some serious money I'm sure.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Damn those are some damn cool wrenches!!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Bad ass history and thank you for sharing.
Got one now I'm going to post in the lounge.

Kbach

Reaction score
As in Hershel "Junior" Conway!

What I was wondering too. If it's Junior Conway he's talking about, I worked with Juniors daughter for quite a while and had heard some stories of the paint jobs he had done over the years. Always cool to hear about his projects.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
The Howard was incredible, I was a little guy when it burned down but do remember it and it was built by a group of Friends, The story is that is was the first glass wood deck out of the molds and the owner (Richard Dyt) wanted it lower so Howard cut 2" out of it. it sat on the trailer for years and did nothing but go to shows, they towed it behind his brothers red 63 split window. It was painted by "Junior", I had a few photos of photos but cant find them. I remember my dad getting the call from Richard that it burned down, he basically gave it to my dad to salvage, gear box, gas tanks, engine and some misc running gear. My Dad cut the transom off the boat and it hung in his garage in Bellflower and then Visalia until last year, we gave it to the original owners Son who has a beautiful Bubble deck, now its hanging in his shop.
STRAGLERjpg.jpg

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Drive impact. I’ve had one since I was 12. Essential for Can Am brake pad replacement.

60’s Japan MCs #7 slotted screws and fittings were common and you need this tool to tackle them. #7 slotted long gone from the scene these days.
862E54A2-1934-4943-9CF9-355579DA1100.png

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
View attachment 965570
Drive impact. I’ve had one since I was 12. Essential for Can Am brake pad replacement.

60’s Japan MCs #7 slotted screws and fittings were common and you need this tool to tackle them. #7 slotted long gone from the scene these days.
Some of the late Honda cars still have Philips head retainer screws on the rotors. Without an impact driver all you do is strip the head. Primitive tool, but still used often in my garage...Honda brakes to C-10 door latch strikers.

bonesfab

Reaction score

60’s Japan MCs #7 slotted screws and fittings were common and you need this tool to tackle them. #7 slotted long gone from the scene these days. View attachment 965625
one of the first tools my dad bought me around 10 or so.

SixD9R

Reaction score
Those SS Craftsman wrenches are super sweet. I would not use them at all or if I did it would be very lightly. Put them in a nice box or a display rack or something. They could be like a family heirloom just like guns me thinks.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
:oops: There's a set of these wrenches on eBay right now...475$! I want a set, but that's SnapOn kind of money there. Listed as 1972, only wrench set Craftsman made in SS.

They're still cool as hell though!

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score

60’s Japan MCs #7 slotted screws and fittings were common and you need this tool to tackle them. #7 slotted long gone from the scene these days. View attachment 965625
Some of the late Honda cars still have Philips head retainer screws on the rotors. Without an impact driver all you do is strip the head. Primitive tool, but still used often in my garage...Honda brakes to C-10 door latch strikers.

They still come in handy for outdrive drain plugs too

I found a double ended 1/2 ---- 9/16 distributor wrench that i could split in the middle and put an extension/ratchet on in the dollar bin at the autoparts store a couple years ago when I was buying oil for my truck and I snagged that bitch up. Took it up to the counter with the oil and stuff to buy it and the guy was like, "whats that for?" He sincerely didn't know what it was. I still get to use it pretty often.

Also I've lost all faith in parts stores unless I get the 60yr old from the back room. Absolutely worthless these days

Last edited:

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Those SS Craftsman wrenches are super sweet. I would not use them at all or if I did it would be very lightly. Put them in a nice box or a display rack or something. They could be like a family heirloom just like guns me thinks.
These wrenches have never turned a bolt or nut in their lives... kind of funny but when you put something in a felt lined box what they hell do you expect. I do plan on putting them in a display case and hanging on the wall, I finally ended up with my trailer queen, never would have guessed it would be a set of wrenches :)

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
I have a set of the blue craftsman wrenches, think they only made them for short time somehow i lost the 9\16 one thou :(

1612074778168.jpeg