Lol!

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Well, did he stick the landing?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
When I was younger I used to cliff jump all the time..

One day there was a board member that told a story where he jumped in feet first and the water blew his ear drums out. It was discussed at pretty great length on the forums and he was pretty adamant that he just jumped in like he had done a hundred times before and the water came together and just blew his ear drums out..

Pretty much cured me of ever wanting to cliff dive again.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Similar deal. We were jumping at Naci when the ranger boat asked us to stop as they were already looking for a body. One of the popular spots a guy named Xavier jumped and did not surface. Watched the dive team launch next morning from across the way from campground. They found him quickly knee deep in the mud just below where he jumped. Have not jumped since.

2Driver

Reaction score
Ugly but he made it.

I think where it can go wrong is when the jumper gets the wind knocked out and they panic gulp water then .....

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Ugly but he made it.

I think where it can go wrong is when the jumper gets the wind knocked out and they panic gulp water then .....

yup, you cant fight the gag reflex and thats not good under water, you are toast at that point. I did one in Powell thats was stupid, hit the water and I remember looking up and said shit I have a long way to go, never again. A few weeks later guy died doing the same jump.

cofooter

Reaction score
Met a young guy at a water ski tournament. He was an adaptive skier, meaning he sits down on a special ski now. Paralyzed on a "routine" cliff jump at Powell. Life as he knew it was never the same. The odds are low, but sometime things don't go right for whatever reason, especially after a few beers. Haven't jumped since. My nephew jumps off the tall rock by Bluewater as well as the train trestle down river. I cringe every time.

Reactions: DWC

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
When I was younger I used to cliff jump all the time..

One day there was a board member that told a story where he jumped in feet first and the water blew his ear drums out. It was discussed at pretty great length on the forums and he was pretty adamant that he just jumped in like he had done a hundred times before and the water came together and just blew his ear drums out..

Pretty much cured me of ever wanting to cliff dive again.

Huh? 😶

Tank

Reaction score
I've never been big on jumping off rocks at the lake.

I did witness (circa maybe 2000) a guy jump from the freakin mountain that, if looking at the jump rock pictured above in Copper Canyon, is just to the left. Waaaaaaaay up at the top. Dude sat there for a while with people egging him on. Cops telling him on the bullhorn not to jump. Dude jumped, made it. I actually have it on VHS video. CRAZY!

bk2drvr

Reaction score
Wearing a life vest is a good idea. Heard too many stories...”he just jumped in the water and never came up”

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I got stuck in the mud jumping off the cliffs north of castle rock bay. About halfway to my knees. Luckily it was really soft and I was able to kick out of it.
Scared the shit out of me. Last time I will ever jump off a cliff.

04-24Stealth

Reaction score
I've never been big on jumping off rocks at the lake.

I did witness (circa maybe 2000) a guy jump from the freakin mountain that, if looking at the jump rock pictured above in Copper Canyon, is just to the left. Waaaaaaaay up at the top. Dude sat there for a while with people egging him on. Cops telling him on the bullhorn not to jump. Dude jumped, made it. I actually have it on VHS video. CRAZY!
I watched a guy in 2006 sit up there for a long time and then walk down. Crazy you saw someone actually do it. I used to dive off that middle one in copper canyon but that was 12 years ago, not any more.

richp5

Reaction score
When I was a teenager we used to jump into a rock quarry (filled with water of course) in the midwest. As I would always inadvertently have my arms outstretched when jumping and therefore smacked them on the water pretty good at the 75 foot height I thought I'd try diving. Well I didn't keep my arms together/hands entwined tight enough and knocked out a front tooth with my fist. All my buds had a good laugh at my expense .

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I did Copper Canyon ONE time...

Took a deep breath and jumped. Problem was, I shoulda took that breath on the way down, instead of at the top! That was a scary few seconds way deep in the water.

Bails

Reaction score
I make a point to do that jump once per year. Over the years I've dove off if. Now with a son I make a big production of checking the bottom before the jump, trying to teach him to do stupid shit as safely as possible. 😁 👍

old rigger

Reaction score
I got stuck in the mud jumping off the cliffs north of castle rock bay. About halfway to my knees. Luckily it was really soft and I was able to kick out of it.
Scared the shit out of me. Last time I will ever jump off a cliff.
This wasn’t cliff jumping but it was either the night of my prom or the next night of proms aboard the Queen Mary and a guy from another school jumped from the deck and got stuck in the mud/sand (the ship no longer floats since it was moved there, the bottom of the rust bucket was filled with mud and it rests on the bottom) and was found the next morning stuck up to his armpits.

Tank

Reaction score
I watched a guy in 2006 sit up there for a long time and then walk down. Crazy you saw someone actually do it. I used to dive off that middle one in copper canyon but that was 12 years ago, not any more.
It was gnarly. I have to get all my old school havasu VHS tapes converted to digital one of these days and find it.

cofooter

Reaction score
This wasn’t cliff jumping but it was either the night of my prom or the next night of proms aboard the Queen Mary and a guy from another school jumped from the deck and got stuck in the mud/sand (the ship no longer floats since it was moved there, the bottom of the rust bucket was filled with mud and it rests on the bottom) and was found the next morning stuck up to his armpits.
Dead or Alive?

old rigger

Reaction score
My 10yo son gets pissed because I don't let him jump off of the rock across from Blue Water. I don't really care, rather have him pissed than not have him at all.
We use to jump there back when we were kids. 1970 ish.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
We use to jump there back when we were kids. 1970 ish.

I see allot of people and kids jump. My BIL lets his daughter jump. But with all the stories I have heard about jumping off of rocks I just don't want to risk it. It also looks kind of shallow in areas near the bottom of the jump.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Last time I jumped was like 30 years ago.

Buddy and I go up there. A
bunch of girls started yelling “take it off!” so he did right before he jumped.

We swim back to the boat and some drunk assholes wanted to fight us.

Good times [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

old rigger

Reaction score
I see allot of people and kids jump. My BIL lets his daughter jump. But with all the stories I have heard about jumping off of rocks I just don't want to risk it. It also looks kind of shallow in areas near the bottom of the jump.
I don’t blame you, I wouldn’t let my kids jump either.

rivergames

Reaction score
I used to like jumping off cliffs. Then one memorial at the lower sandbar in Parker, a dude jumped off the cliff and came out holding his eye ball in his hand that popped out of his head.... For the most part, I stopped jumping off cliffs after that one

golakers

Reaction score
One of my daughters is smart, won't jump at Blue Water again. My other one fights me every time. Its always a NO! She'll understand 1 day!

Your ad here

Reaction score
I do it still. Nothing wild but something with a little bit of a rush. I always check the area. Couple habits of mine are I jump within the first 5 seconds. If not, every second after it's that much harder to commit. I've seen people ponder for as long as 10 minutes and if they jump they always flop a bit on their belly or back. I go in feet first and arms tucked. As soon as I know I'm under I kick my legs forward and arms out so I'm not shooting straight down but more across under water with arms slowing me down. I dunno if it helps but I do feel like I'm no deeper than 6' when looking up. If I've had a beer and have the itch I'll put a life vest on.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Used to do the Butte City bridge across the Sacramento river quite a bit when younger. We had a rope swing tied under it. Cal trans wasn't particularly impressed with our hardware, cabling, pullies and other accessories.
The CHP didn't like us messing around on the bridge either.

RCDave

Reaction score
I used to dive off the top of Copper all the time. However, last time I did it, about 10 years ago, I entered the water SLIGHTLY off perpendicular.

Blew my left eardrum. I had vertigo for almost 2 months from that so bad I lost over 30 lbs (couldnt eat!)

Never again!

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Grew up with this jumping spot in the neighborhood. Surfed the area most of my life and pulled out people that had no business being in the water. This was before anyone every thought of patrolling the area on wave runners. Fast forward 40 years, social media, and stupidity there has to be at least 4 deaths a year from people jumping in at this spot. Just a couple of weeks ago a guy from Oklahoma died on a day with 6’ waves. That is WAY too big to be doing this but these people don’t know.

665C1468-4DAD-454F-8D4C-247DEE00C7DD.jpeg
32C2E034-1F1C-4743-823B-F120AB80469C.png

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Never jumped that one.

Jumped a ton off Benbow Bridge (65')and off the Dam (50') there where I grew up in NorCal, as well as all of Standish Hickey state park, that"s a really cool spot to learn and test yourself.

Jumps from 20-40-60-100 ft. into a deep hole.

I've fucked it all up, enema, torn shoulder muscle, bruised feet from not wearing shoes, and best of all sore balls from landing a little on the ass side....

It takes some skill to jump/dive from 60+....you can get hurt even on the 20' stuff if you flail. Always been amazed at the cliff divers in Mexico!

We used to have a rope swing that could get you up 45"...it was a serious amount of fun as a kid! Learning how to do backflips, and all sorts of dives off a giant rope is an experience everyone should have as a kid!

I might be coaxed into jumping again for some fine ass pussy....other than that, it's a young person's sport!

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
There's a spot on Pyramid lake in N Nevada we used to jump off all the time, we measured 60 feet with a ski rope. I must have at least a 100 jumps off of it, day, night, drunk but last time it kinda hurt. I'm getting old, but did a 35 footer last weekend at Canyon Lake, still a rush for sure!

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I'll do a jump from time to time in spots I know. Copper canyon has been a while since I done that one.

However, I always check depth now before I dive. Labor day weekend 2007, Right off the end of this first finger at Moonridge on the strip I had been screwing around all morning diving and flipping in 7ft of water. We went down to Roadrunner for lunch and when we came back I dove off the front of the boat in the exact same spot to go put the trailer in the ramp. 7ft of water became 2.5ft of water just in the time it took to do a short boat ride and have lunch at roadrunner.

I had a deep gash in my face from my hairline down to my left eye, bounced over my eye, gashed the tip of my nose, and tore my upper lip open to where I could touch my gums above my front teeth from immediately under my my nose.

I soaked 2 full size beach towels in blood with my face, went to 2 hospitals, and ultimately had my face stitched back together by a plastic surgeon in Lake Havasu City. I still have the scar below my nose reaching down to my lip.

20200314_115853.jpg
20200630_203503.jpg

cofooter

Reaction score
I'll do a jump from time to time in spots I know. Copper canyon has been a while since I done that one.

However, I always check depth now before I dive. Labor day weekend 2007, Right off the end of this first finger at Moonridge on the strip I had been screwing around all morning diving and flipping in 7ft of water. We went down to Roadrunner for lunch and when we came back I dove off the front of the boat in the exact same spot to go put the trailer in the ramp. 7ft of water became 2.5ft of water just in the time it took to do a short boat ride and have lunch at roadrunner.

I had a deep gash in my face from my hairline down to my left eye, bounced over my eye, gashed the tip of my nose, and tore my upper lip open to where I could touch my gums above my front teeth from immediately under my my nose.

I soaked 2 full size beach towels in blood with my face, went to 2 hospitals, and ultimately had my face stitched back together by a plastic surgeon in Lake Havasu City. I still have the scar below my nose reaching down to my lip.

View attachment 894591 View attachment 894595
My buddy did the exact same thing up near there but broke his neck.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
My buddy did the exact same thing up near there but broke his neck.
I've been told about a million times how lucky I am that I didn't do that. My neck is still pretty jacked to this day though even despite not being broken. Did your buddy recover...?