WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Copterzach checking up on you

JBS

Reaction score
A friend of mine posted this on FB. Hope all is well for you.

Two dead, one injured after helicopters crash over ranch in Duval County

Duval County Sheriff Romeo Ramirez said three small helicopters were being used to net deer on a ranch when two of them collided.

Author: KIII Staff
Published: 11:04 AM CDT October 23, 2019
Updated: 12:09 PM CDT October 23, 2019
HEBBRONVILLE, Texas — Two people have been confirmed dead Wednesday morning following a crash involving three helicopters that were netting deer at a ranch northeast of Hebbronville, Texas.

According to the Duval County Sheriff Romeo Ramirez, it happened Wednesday morning over a private ranch inside Duval County about five miles away from Hebbronville.

Ramirez said three small helicopters were being used to net deer on the ranch. It is believed that two of the helicopters got too close to each other and their rotors collided and one of them crashed. The other two landed safely.

According to the Duval County Sheriff, one person was confirmed dead at the scene.

Two others were injured in the crash -- one was transported in critical condition via HALO-Flight to a hospital in Alice where they later died. Another was transported in serious condition by ambulance.

https://www.kiiitv.com/article/news...K8ZVyAtJJMHI9_nvESNmJPESvpeT7jPQdI_-9YIfmLtUk

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I was just thinking about Zach the other day, haven't noticed any posts for a while...

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Hope it's not him. Prayers to the families of those that died.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Any know what “netting deer” involves? Never heard of it. Is it what it sounds like? “Netting dear with helicopters”?

This is Texas right? I know they have wild boar shooting from helicopters because they are a huge pest to ranchers and farmers in Texas. I never heard of “netting dear”. Are they capturing them or re-locating them? Anybody know?

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Another news article I found say the helps were R22s, which is what Zach flies...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Sad no matter who was involved. I'll still feel a bit better when Zach checks in...

Sad reality, if he is safe, really good chance he knows those that were involved. I can't see it being a massive community of helicopter cowboys. I may be wrong, but it seems an industry like that you probably know who's who.

Nordie

Reaction score
After watching this video a few times I always think of Copterzach, probably the best job ever. Plus I want to save up my pennies and do this, it sounds like a rush.

Plus hearing what the boars do to the farmers is insane.

The video gets better in the second half, I will totally do this someday.

Last edited:

530RL

Reaction score
After watching this video a few times I always think of Copterzach, probably the best job ever. Plus I want to save up my pennies and do this, it sounds like a rush.

Plus hearing what the boars do to the farmers is insane.

The video gets better in the second half, I will totally do this someday.

That is a 600. 850 shaft horsepower, fully articulated rotor head and a turbine. Compare that to a 500 which has 425 SHP and one less blade but still a turbine and an articulated head.

Much more expensive but statistically much safer than an R22 with its teetering rotor head that Zach uses.

Interestingly the coyotes kill pigs.

So they must have a bunch of livestock on that farm or killing the coyotes is counterproductive.

I suspect Zach is fine. He is a super experienced guy on R22’s and knows the limitations quite well.

Look forward to hearing from him.

YumaRivernaut

How Far Off Was I?
Reaction score
Any know what “netting deer” involves? Never heard of it. Is it what it sounds like? “Netting dear with helicopters”?

This is Texas right? I know they have wild boar shooting from helicopters because they are a huge pest to ranchers and farmers in Texas. I never heard of “netting dear”. Are they capturing them or re-locating them? Anybody know?
When my pop was with us we'd go out with the The Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society and AZ. Game and Fish to net Bighorn Sheep for relocation and accounting every year for decades. My pop was the Veterinarian that took care of them on site tranquilizing, testing, worming, checking for parasites, ect. We'd go up with these absolutely psychotic New Zealander capture crews using a MD 500 and hunt them down. Sometimes some Bell 206 Jet Rangers from some other local outfits were used too but nowhere near as much fun as the Kiwis! We'd herd them into choke points or chase em down then fire a modified Winchester .308 net gun firing blanks attached to four tube weights and the net. The Kiwis then would jump out and bind their hoves and we'd go get some more. when we get about 4 or 5 or so they'd blind em and bind em all together and sling load em into base camp where all the work began. Bitchin shit for sure. Went for decades till my pop passed away. They wanted me to still go, but it was too hard for my mom and I without him. Best memories for sure. Almost took a job with those crazy bastards though, going around the world flying and crewing the choppers. Loved working with them! Shoulda, coulda, woulda, damned hindsight;)
These guys seem to be using an Bell 407. Gets the job done :)
BTW, I hope copterzach is okay. Don't know the dude but he seems to be a very competent stick. He'll be fine.

Last edited:

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

Yote’s aren’t going to try a wild hog unless it’s a very unusual circumstance. If you’ve ever been around a wild hog they’re much more feared than the coyote.

The Yote’s will decimate your livestock left unchecked. The hog will decimate your land left unchecked. They’re each killed for different reasons.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Really hoping he is okay...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Digging on some forums I found this.. I don’t believe Zach was working it, but, awfully close if it’s the same Zach they are talking about.
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I'm going with no-news-is-good-news here.

Condolences and god-speed the victims of the accident.

Devilman

lol, yeah, sure, ok......
Reaction score
Sad no matter who was involved. I'll still feel a bit better when Zach checks in...

Sad reality, if he is safe, really good chance he knows those that were involved. I can't see it being a massive community of helicopter cowboys. I may be wrong, but it seems an industry like that you probably know who's who.

Yes sir, I thought the exact same thing. Nothing regarding their identities had been released as of yesterday evening, but I saw the names of those involved on a FB page where it was being discussed and Zach's name hadn't come up that I've seen, so I felt a bit better about it. Still sad about the fellas that passed. Gotta be a pretty tight knit group, like you said.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
That is a 600. 850 shaft horsepower, fully articulated rotor head and a turbine. Compare that to a 500 which has 425 SHP and one less blade but still a turbine and an articulated head.

Much more expensive but statistically much safer than an R22 with its teetering rotor head that Zach uses.

So they must have a bunch of livestock on that farm or killing the coyotes is counterproductive.

I suspect Zach is fine. He is a super experienced guy on R22’s and knows the limitations quite well.

Look forward to hearing from him.
I always wanted to fly one of the 500's. Awesome power/weight ratio. Other than a 206, one of the best looking helicopters ever.

copterzach

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am as good as can be considering. Charles one of my closest friends and his passenger JR also one of my closest friends passed away yesterday morning. They were sporting deer for the other 2 helicopters that were doing the catching. The pilot Jay in the other helicopter is fine. His gunner that was with him lost his foot about mid shin. No one can figure out this even happened. Two pilots with 50,000 hours between them let this happen.

Charles left a wife and 2 kids behind. JR is divorced and leaving two kids behind also. I spent most of yesterday with Charles’ family.

thanks everyone for the concerns. Please keep these kids on your prayers

God Bless

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am as good as can be considering. Charles one of my closest friends and his passenger JR also one of my closest friends passed away yesterday morning. They were sporting deer for the other 2 helicopters that were doing the catching. The pilot Jay in the other helicopter is fine. His gunner that was with him lost his foot about mid shin. No one can figure out this even happened. Two pilots with 50,000 hours between them let this happen.

Charles left a wife and 2 kids behind. JR is divorced and leaving two kids behind also. I spent most of yesterday with Charles’ family.

God Bless

Im sorry for your loss, will keep your friends and their families in our thoughts

Singleton

Reaction score

God Bless

Thoughts and prayers with you during this time. Sorry to hear about your close friends

JBS

Reaction score

God Bless

So sorry for your loss. Prayers sent for all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DB / HAV

Reaction score
We are praying for the kids & families. So sorry. God bless

rrrr

Reaction score

God Bless

I'm so sorry to hear this. I love aviation, but it can be a cruel mistress. Having experienced it myself, reading your post brought tears to my eyes.

Just know I'm thinking of you and the families of those lost and injured.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
So sorry to hear of your loss. Thoughts and condolences to you and the families. :(

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I am very sorry about your friends Zach. :( Very sad situation.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I am glad your ok. I saw thus story and immediately thought oh shit... I am very sorry for your loss.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Very sorry about your friends buddy.
Very glad you're OK.

boatpi

Reaction score
Not to mention a Euro went down in Red Rock Canyon Las Vegas on Tuesday, pilot RIP.

DRIVE BYE

Reaction score
Thoughts and Prayers to you and your group Zach. I just returned from Del Rio on a Hunt. I Flew with a Great Guy Named Ken on his R44. Ironically
He was late as one of his 22's went down the evening before due to a mechanical, fortunately both pilots were able to walk away. Thats a Huge Territory down there.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score

God Bless

Sucky for sure.

Glad you are alright.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your friends. I lost a pilot I knew that I had flown with many times doing a ferry flight in a Jet Ranger. A needless CFIT at night.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...I don’t know what to say here other than sometimes things just go wrong by just a few inches ...My deepest sympathies to the family’s and the memories of the two who were lost...RIP...gentlemen...