WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Copying other boats gel scheme? Is it ok?

Riverryder

Reaction score
I work with someone that has a fast cat. That’s going to be gettin the gel redone. I have been trying to help them figure out the scheme they are going with. The boat gets dropped off next week. They have been showing me other boats schemes and have always said they were doing similar schemes but with some changes.

Well they showed me a boat and said we are copying this boat. Low and behold they showed me @Bullhead bully boat.

I showed them that it’s the second boat he’s done with just about the same scheme.

To me it seems like this isn’t ok. I know no one owns designs that I’m aware of. Is this considered cool?

Boat spends most time in mead but they do go to the havi too.

They told me that there’s is faster so it doesn’t matter haha but I told them no way in hell it is. It runs “90s”

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Just change it up a bit .
Why make exactly the same .
Make it yours
Change a few lines , add in some detail

Riverryder

Reaction score
Just change it up a bit .
Why make exactly the same .
Make it yours
Change a few lines , add in some detail

It’s not my boat. It’s a coworkers. I don’t know why they are copying it. But it’s lame to me!

HitIt

Reaction score
Well, I would personally want to make it my own and it is surprising that someone has the opportunity to create their own design, even slightly, and is just making a copy.

But in this particular case since he is on the boards, if you care to, you can just ask Bully how he feels about it. Maybe he thinks it would be cool. imitation, flattery, and all that.

Reactions: DWC

hallett21

Reaction score
Wouldn’t bother me. But I would want my gel to be my own if I was paying to have it re done.

Riverryder

Reaction score
Well, I would personally want to make it my own and it is surprising that someone has the opportunity to create their own design, even slightly, and is just making a copy.

But in this particular case since he is on the boards, if you care to, you can just ask Bully how he feels about it. Maybe he thinks it would be cool. imitation, flattery, and all that.

Hoping he’ll chime in with his opinion. I know he’s busy doing ariels with his new toy!

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
It's a Cheetah, nobody will even notice. ;)

Riverryder

Reaction score
It's a Cheetah, nobody will even notice. ;)

Haha it’s actually a searay

This is its current scheme
Adjustments.jpg

Told them to just redo it this way. But they want to make a 30 year old boat more modern.

NicPaus

Reaction score
My Ultra was copied 6 times that I recall. Had a guy call me out years ago on Naci saying I copied him. I played along then asked what year his boat was. When he said 03 I said yeah this is a 2000. All he could say was its clean.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

View attachment 832601
Told them to just redo it this way. But they want to make a 30 year old boat more modern.

I'm not the one that called that sea ray a mother fucker, and I don't know the guy that called that sea ray a mother fucker... but,... what I wanna know know is who say's that mother fucker is a Sea-ray :D

DWC

Reaction score
I'm not the one that called that sea ray a mother fucker, and I don't know the guy that called that sea ray a mother fucker... but,... what I wanna know know is who say's that mother fucker is a Sea-ray :D
Nothing better than a good 2FF post to get my day going. :)

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

View attachment 832601

so if the boat is an Eliminator copy,... might as well copy the gel......right??? or is it an eliminator???

Riverryder

Reaction score
so if the boat is an Eliminator copy,... might as well copy the gel......right??? or is it an eliminator???

Boat is an eliminator. Going to copy a Nordic gel

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I couod care less. Shows lack of creativity, but they say "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
soooo..... so far there was a cheetah, a sea ray, an eliminator...and now a Nordic???

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
LOL>>>> no wonder they drained lake mead and closed it...:D

Riverryder

Reaction score
LOL>>>> no wonder they drained lake mead and closed it...:D

Haha 2ff you are awesome! I have no idea what the hell your talking about but it’s entertaining!

Meads up tho if you are wondering.
IMG_0284.jpg

Gelcoater

Reaction score

View attachment 832601

I don’t think Bully’s scheme would really flow well on that hull.

Personally I’d leave it as it is, it’s a pretty nice looking piece and the graphic fits the hull.