WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cornhole Board Builder No More, thank you for the support and memories

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Well, my little hobby has come to its end after a 12 year run. It started with my vinyl guy who was a very low cost graphic design guy as well calling it quits and selling off his company. I was in search of another vendor that could step in and help out on the design side for a cost that made sense to both of us, but had no luck at all. The next shoe dropped with the lumber prices we are all "enjoying" as my nice cabinet stain grade stuff is 3x the price, paint is 2x, and hardware as well. I can no longer make a product at a reasonable price. If I do end up making another couple sets of boards, I owe Lake P.A.L. one if I can find solutions to these problems.

After that, I think its time to dedicate the garage space to going through the chevelle again and giving it some long deserved attention. I just wanted to say thank you to all the people that have worked with me on this hobby, it never made sense money wise, but I really enjoyed meeting many of you this way, made some friends, and did some cool stuff I am proud of. Anyone that still has their set, maybe like real art, it will now go up in value. If not, what the wood is worth alone you might be able to scrap them for a profit :)

I thought about posting a hall of fame of some of my favorite sets, but there are too many, and I would hate to offend any that didn't make the cut. Some have been touching and personal, some have been hilarious, and some just awesome bad ass wall art and back yard game.

Again, thank you everyone.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I wish I wouldn’t have given my rdp ones to my buddy now.. 😳. I was gonna have you make a new set with updated graphics

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
Love my set you made for Marathon Petroleum/ Asphalt Solutions Inc
Big hit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Big hit

I loved doing that set, as in my real job, Marathon is one of our top 100 accounts, a cool crossover episode.

@RiverDave , if I get my hands on lumber and a vinyl guy, I will let you know since the graphics are already designed by your tshirt guy as like last time I presume. I will keep you posted. Nothing in the immediate time frame though, we will see how the summer goes.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Thanks for the service. I think I ordered 3 sets, maybe 4. Still use my set all the time.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Thanks for the service. I think I ordered 3 sets, maybe 4. Still use my set all the time.

Yep, you and OG Croz were hall of fame in that regard, and that Tatum set was a fave. NIce hanging out with you at the offroad expo and meeting the guys. Crazy amount of international money being dropped that first night. Good times.

tatumfinished3.jpg

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Thinking back to some people I met 9 years ago who came to where I was staying in Parker, as a halfway point from OC to AZ, this is how I met Enen and he took his 32 Schiada to the dock out front to pick up boards, that was super original, and Lunatic Fringe and his wife drove down for a day to grab his endless summer set that is definitely one of one. I took the movie poster theme and put an outline of his buddies magic deck with the same name in the graphic, I was ahead of my time in this game back then :)

32Schiadafinal.jpg
endlesssummerfinal.jpg

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
This sucks, any idea how many sets you made over the years?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
252 believe it or not, you are responsible for 3 of them I think 👍
Yeah, three sets, Patriots, Notre Dame, cant remember what the other set was for, they make awesome gifts for people. Some of the ones you have done over the years were awesome especially when you started using photos on them.

Reactions: DWC

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Yeah, three sets, Patriots, Notre Dame, cant remember what the other set was for, they make awesome gifts for people. Some of the ones you have done over the years were awesome especially when you started using photos on them.

Tracy's army set was good with photos

armydone3.jpg

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
You don't owe me shit, but thanks. The 1 set u did for my brother years ago is still awesome & he doesn't take care of it. Thank you for your wonderful customer service.
What you do owe me is you will have to allow me to buy you a beer at Lake of the Ozarks. Please look me up when you get over that way. I'm less than 48 hours left in Kommiefornia & rolling that way with Skater & starting my next chapter of my life.
Good luck with Chevelle

HBCraig

Reaction score
Big hit

You work for Marathon? Just curious as I have a buddy that works for them

attitude

Reaction score
I wish I was better at putting my thots on paper because I could do the graphics side of things for you. I just designed my own cornhole board wrap and had my stepdads label company print them out but is was a basic design, nothing like the quality you put out.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
I know a graphic vinyl guy that can be competitive on costs. He’s in Redlands area. Really good at designs and knocks stuff out quick. Reach out if you need contact

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Dude give us a little waning, been waiting to get the new boat before ordering one

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Both our sets have been great! Only problem with them is they just don’t get played enough.

Thank you!

IMG_5547.jpg

IMG_7736.jpg

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Bummer I have always been hoping to get a set. Was getting close with setting up the house. Best of luck to you moving forward.

HitIt

Reaction score
I thought about posting a hall of fame of some of my favorite sets, but there are too many, and I would hate to offend any that didn't make the cut.

So post them all. We like pictures of cool shit!

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I can make a set but it wouldn't be anything like yours. That Chevelle will be there when you get 'round to it. Now about making those Cornhole Boards again...

Socalx09

Reaction score
The ones you made for me are still in great shape after a few years. They sit under the bbq island year round and don’t get beat up.
95EA4758-9C95-4D0F-8B31-815E9604B391.png

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
You work for Marathon? Just curious as I have a buddy that works for them

If I remember correctly, lucky strike developed an additive to reduce the smell in asphalt manufacturing and Marathon is a customer 👍

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I will see about revisiting this all when lumber prices calm down, and maybe have a last limited run depending on whether a vinyl guy literally wants to finish off my designs and print a pair of wraps or decals for $65. That's the problem, most people doing graphic design will want hundreds of dollars on top of the cost of the wrap itself. Considering the sets have 120 bucks profit in them total, no room to eat any of that cost. Again, we will see. Here are some random cool sets from members in no particular order just for eye candy and a last celebration.
210boardsboat3.jpg
chbschiada24.jpg
conquestrobertprogress.jpg
coorsbest.jpg
crozweddingfinished.jpg
DCBfinal1.jpg
eliminatorfinished.jpg
green3.jpg
hallett255-finished.jpg
mahafinished2.jpg
nordicpete2.jpeg
notredamefinished.jpg
POW-MIA2.jpg
rdp1.jpg
sjgrass1.JPG
titosfinished1.jpg

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
Ok I’m just gonna say it. You obviously have a strong following. Nail down a wood source or go composite (like some boat builders have), accept deposits and charge a price where everyone wins. Then you too can be booked out for the next year. What is the current price point?

Water Romper

Reaction score
The graphics are beautiful- Care to post how you make these? how do you get the clear over the "paint or ?? ;)

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Current pricing was at $300, that would be closer to $400, and would only be possible with someone doing graphic work for near free :)

In regards to how they are made, there are different approaches you can see in the sample above. The Maherajah water ski set, that is all done with gel stain. So much like painters of boats and hot rods, you get out your ruler and tape and start making shapes, then stain between them. Same approach is used for painted sets like the Notre Dame set base. After that, main graphics can be cut from vinyl and put over the painted backgrounds. There are also full vinyl wrap sets in the above as well. These are done with 6 year UV resistant outdoor vinyl with air release technology from 3M. This is used to wrap vehicles and other purposes.

After that is all done, there are several coats of a water based polycrylic applied to protect the underlying paint and graphics. If kept indoors when not in use and carefully handled, these should last indefinitely. My Jack Daniels set is at least 12 years old and in constant use, still in good shape. Even with little kids running up and down them when you turn your back. Dunno why they all do that, and sit on them like its a toilet, common user experience :)

Anyway, nothing will be happening with them anytime soon for the above reasons, and if I found a way to do some again, I would do a limited run and let the boards know to get their last chance at any. I will also refer any builder I find that makes a product at a worthy quality. Some more samples just for fun.

firemanfinished.jpg
schiadaandboat.jpg
advantagefinished.jpg
ultrajohnwest.jpg
halletpurplefinished.jpg
nordicdavis.jpg
ultrabluefinished.jpg
Lakers-Finished.jpg

Last edited:

Water Romper

Reaction score
ummmm, <Insert deer in the headlight look> I read your instructions....I was lucky to paint a model car when I was a kid, your talent is WAY out of my league. I would take custom orders, and double the cost. If folks want it bad enough, they would pay. They sure are beautiful!