WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Coronavirus prep

relaxalot

Reaction score
So far only a 2.5% kill rate. Media driven hysteria. More people are dying from the regular flu.......
It is estimated that over 5 billion people will get it.. math is hard.... 2% .... 100 million dead... might be the biggest event of your lifetime.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
So they think that the disease that is currently spreading around the world and:
- has a mortality rate currently estimated above 2% (normal flu is 0.1%)
- has higher transmissibilty and a longer incubation time than the normal flu
- is causing 10's of millions of Chinese to be in lockdown
- caused the Chinese to build hospitals in around a week
- is causing gov'ts around the world to issue travel bans, cancel school, cancel events (Carnival in Italy)
- has prompted the CDC to say "CDC is preparing for community spread in the US" and "Disruption to everyday life might be severe "
- etc....

is BS? Sounds like it might be a little more than BS but I sure hope it is.

It’s a 2% mortality rate is in parts of the world where many people smoke, and/or the air quality is total shit.

SARS had a higher mortality rate.

There is cause for concern, but the media is hyping it up and making it a bigger deal than it is.

Just like the did and continue to do for :
Y2K
Rain in CA
Fires
Hurricanes
SARS
Swine Flu
Donald Trump
Kobe Bryant
School Shootings

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
It is a fucked up thing to say but seriously the homeless situation is absolutely so out of control here in Los Angeles.

No you dont want them getting it, half the city will be infected. All they do is wander around in their own filth touching stuff that the public at large touches all day long.

Imagine a door handle in a Starbucks Downtown, infected for 4-6 hours...

cofooter

Reaction score
It is a fucked up thing to say but seriously the homeless situation is absolutely so out of control here in Los Angeles.
I don't know, seems a little harsh for something that may be an inconvenience.

4Waters

Reaction score
No you dont want them getting it, half the city will be infected. All they do is wander around in their own filth touching stuff that the public at large touches all day long.

Imagine a door handle in a Starbucks Downtown, infected for 4-6 hours...
I work in downtown LA around homeless people (not directly with them) but I do get what you are saying.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Seriously antarticq is the only continent it hasn't spread to lol.

If it hits the homeless population it will spread quickly. That's a bad situation.

MSum661

Reaction score
I work in downtown LA around homeless people (not directly with them) but I do get what you are saying.

Be careful..if they group up and start walking towards you with their arms straight out and have that disgruntled look then it might be good idea to
get the hell out asap.
You know. what I'm sayin.....hit the road.

HitIt

Reaction score
It’s a 2% mortality rate is in parts of the world where many people smoke, and/or the air quality is total shit.

SARS had a total number of 8098 people that were infected.

COVID-19, with the limited testing that has been going on, already has 82,183 cases and it is just starting to ramp up.

I think that the mortality rate is being overestimated because the number of people that actually have it is being underreported. That said, there are lots and lots of people being infected. That absolutely will result in more deaths of unhealthy as well as healthy people. I really, really hope that this is being over-hyped but there are people who's job it is to look out for the public that are really afraid. The CDC and WHO, organizations that are comprised of doctors and researchers, are saying that "Now is the time for US businesses, hospitals, and communities to begin preparing for the possible spread of #COVID19 " and the last thing those people want to do is cause panic.

This isn't Armageddon, but it certainly seems like one possible outcome is that a bunch of people are going to die. Maybe most of them are old, maybe they are smokers, but it doesn't seem like we are on a good trajectory.

JayBreww

Reaction score
When are a bunch of people going to die? It’s been known for a month now right? And only 2000 dead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Dude, really, that's a fucked up thing to say...…..

When your neighborhood is overrun with homeless motorhomes and you can't go anywhere with out dodging homeless drug addicts asking for money. Fucked up yes. Reality, yes. Then the government rants
Wants to take my hard earned money and gives them money for housing.

I watched 2 guys and a girl smoking meth yesterday. At work I saw a bum pooping on the sidewalk.
20200226_152230.jpg

ParkerRat

Livin the Dream
Reaction score
It's different this time (not sure how to embed this graphic so it plays automatically). This is based on fake numbers out of China. Most virologists agree it is likely at least 5 times worse than the numbers they are putting out

Attachments

• fKR-llqsQsnwTBsk.mp4
    1.1 MB
Last edited:

SpeedyWho

Reaction score
Gimme a Break, this is just another "get everybody scared for their lives" event that will fizzle out as soon as something better makes the news. Prepping and worrying isn't gonna do a damn thing. Turn the news off and all the sudden it's gone. I can't believe it's lasted this long.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
The latest scare in the news.

Coronavirus infects woman in Japan for the second time, a first in the country

Devilman

lol, yeah, sure, ok......
Reaction score
Gimme a Break, this is just another "get everybody scared for their lives" event that will fizzle out as soon as something better makes the news. Prepping and worrying isn't gonna do a damn thing. Turn the news off and all the sudden it's gone. I can't believe it's lasted this long.
Dr. Drew agrees 🙃

HotRod82

Reaction score
It is estimated that over 5 billion people will get it.. math is hard.... 2% .... 100 million dead... might be the biggest event of your lifetime.

HMMMMM....let me see where have I heard this sky is falling shit before? Oh I know -

First, HIV / AIDS was going to kill us all, then it was bird flu, then it was swine flu, then it was SARS, now it's corona virus. The 2.5 kill rate is already spiraling downward as the western countries mobilize against it. If you contract this virus while living anywhere there is western medicine available AND you are relatively healthy otherwise, there is little to worry about. If you live in the jungle or in the middle eastern desert, then maybe worry a little.
I'm far more worried about my stock portfolio than I am about catching this flu.

relaxalot

Reaction score
HMMMMM....let me see where have I heard this sky is falling shit before? Oh I know -

First, HIV / AIDS was going to kill us all, then it was bird flu, then it was swine flu, then it was SARS, now it's corona virus. The 2.5 kill rate is already spiraling downward as the western countries mobilize against it. If you contract this virus while living anywhere there is western medicine available AND you are relatively healthy otherwise, there is little to worry about. If you live in the jungle or in the middle eastern desert, then maybe worry a little.
I'm far more worried about my stock portfolio than I am about catching this flu.
Let's say the mortality rate goes to 1 percent.. of 5 billion people? That will affect your stock portfolio for sure.. Hopefully after a vaccine is created they can put the brakes on this.. that will take 12-18 months..

HotRod82

Reaction score
Let's say the mortality rate goes to 1 percent.. of 5 billion people? That will affect your stock portfolio for sure.. Hopefully after a vaccine is created they can put the brakes on this.. that will take 12-18 months..

Well the lake will be less crowded so we got that going for us.......

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I live 20 miles from town, and work in a secured area with only about 50 other people. I got my flu shot in Nov.

Probably won’t fly to a vacation destination this year, I’ll do some road trips instead. I’m going to tow my Harley to South Dakota and visit family and ride the black hills.

That is all :)

PlanB

Reaction score
There is a doctor on TV right now talking about it. He is saying this is way overblown. Most people that have contracted the virus have symptoms similar to a bad cold. The people having complications have other medical conditions. His advice: wash your hands and keep them off of your face if you are out in public.

Taboma

Reaction score
There is a doctor on TV right now talking about it. He is saying this is way overblown. Most people that have contracted the virus have symptoms similar to a bad cold. The people having complications have other medical conditions. His advice: wash your hands and keep them off of your face if you are out in public.

I use the wipes when grabbing a shopping cart, I use hand sanitizer when I return to the truck (Although now I've already touched a few things just to get into the truck), but I find the biggest challenge is not unconsciously touching my face. I seem to realize it, just after I do it. 😷

PlanB

Reaction score
I use the wipes when grabbing a shopping cart, I use hand sanitizer when I return to the truck (Although now I've already touched a few things just to get into the truck), but I find the biggest challenge is not unconsciously touching my face. I seem to realize it, just after I do it. 😷

I have gotten pretty good at it from going to the gym every morning. I keep alcohol wipes in my gym bag, and wipe down my headphones everyday. I also don't get my hands near my face until I can wash them after I am done.

thetub

Reaction score
got a dumb question ?

can it be spread through touching items manufactured out of China ?

lets say infected worker in China touches something manufactured from there gets shipped to the US and purchaser , handler of item get the virus?

HCP3

Reaction score
got a dumb question ?

can it be spread through touching items manufactured out of China ?

lets say infected worker in China touches something manufactured from there gets shipped to the US and purchaser , handler of item get the virus?

"In general, because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces, there is likely very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures. "

relaxalot

Reaction score
Don't forget to factor in modern medicine when you "do the math".
I did... I said one percent instead of 3 percent.. I believe the number will be lower in the U.S. but much higher in India and Africa... The average may be higher than 1 percent. Soon we will know. There is no cure for this virus. I believe Bill Gates commissioned a study model a few months ago and came up with 65 million dead. That was factoring in Modern Medicine. Even a fraction of that wouldn't be good news.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Curious what the RDP crew is doing in preparation for a worse case Coronavirus scenario?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chinese population and dissident control, and maybe germ warfare experimentation gone out of control.

HotRod82

Reaction score
I saw an interview with a retired CDC doctor today and he was quite reassuring saying this isn't as bad as the media is making it out to be. He went on to explain the corona virus is just a mutation of the previous two outbreaks we have had. Knowing this, the experts already know how it behaves and know how to fight it. He said " if you want to worry about something, worry about Ebola it's 10 times worse" .

zhandfull

Reaction score
I'm stocking up on food and supplies now just in case. The coronavirus doesn't concern me but I feel like it's a very real possibility that some areas and/or cities in the US will be under some sort of home quarantine before this is all over.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Somewhat the "Elephant in the Room" when it comes to the coronavirus is the massive and increasing homeless population. If/when it were to make its way into that segment it would certainly complicate things in a hurry.

buck35

Reaction score
Somewhat the "Elephant in the Room" when it comes to the coronavirus is the massive and increasing homeless population. If/when it were to make its way into that segment it would certainly complicate things in a hurry.
Doesn't fentynil or whatever it's called come from China?

relaxalot

Reaction score

There is cause for concern, but the media is hyping it up and making it a bigger deal than it is.

Just like the did and continue to do for :
Y2K
Rain in CA
Fires
Hurricanes
SARS
Swine Flu
Donald Trump
Kobe Bryant
School Shootings
2.5 % in Italy now... this will be interesting to watch

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Stocking up on Beer , water, ammo and MREs in that order , have gotten every vaccine currently available