WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cost for small home addition plans

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
The city of Long Beach has changed zoning regulations and I am now able to put a second story on my garage. We are limited to 800sq ft. so its not huge. I will do the build my self and was looking for a guy to draw plans for me to get thru the city. We met with an architect, explained what we were looking for, he sends us a contract last night for nearly $13k. WOW... am I off thinking that is way high?

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
That seems really high. Did he give you a cost breakdown?

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Also is the engineering and city permit costs included?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
As @westair points out, the structural engineering/load calcs on the existing garage come into play. In effect, prints for both the addition, and all existing tie in structure, would need to be drawn up and calc'd.

There is always what I ran into lately. There is a lot of work in trades right now. This means everyone connected is making money while it's good. If you aren't in a serious rush, put feelers out and see what happens. Out here, it cost me 3k to have a foundation engineered last year for a 2000sqf shop! I have a friend building a retail building in Flagstaff, 4000sqf. He just had to cut a check for 100k for "rain water re-introduction" engineering! He has to have all building runoff sent to a central location for a costern he needs to install! Thanks tree huggers!

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I had a structural engineer charge us 12 k to prove a 6” schedule #10 pipes could replace 8” schedule #40 pipes in a existing warehouse. Then charged us for each page of the plans if we wanted copies. :confused: :)

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Just go to a small job site and ask the framers is the plan guy they probably speak Spanish this days if not I could talk to my friends for some numbers. That price is way to costly give me a couple days

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Is he doing an as-built drawing or is he having to get the plans from someone else and pay for them? I had people charged me 5K to get a basic six Corner House plan out of their inventory because they knew it was cheaper than me having an as-built plan drawn up

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
The quote was just for one set of plans, no permits, no engineering and does not include electrical or plumbing. Two bed room, 1.5 bath and kitchen. I was pretty floored but haven't had any work done like this since 2001... Thanks for the comments gents, I keep shopping around.

BajaMike

Reaction score
The new California law says cities can’t stop you from building 2 units (mother in law or rental housing)on your property and the city can’t require additional parking. It’s a fucked up law, but why not take advantage of it. Build two units, rent one or two and enjoy the income. Rents are really high in Long Beach.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I live between two properties that have two houses on them and they are rentals. The entire area was zoned R2 back in the day and I actually had a mother in laws quarters on the property when we bought it but it was horrendous and placed right in the middle of everything. My neighbors are renting for $2500+, it crazy! We are building to try and help my daughter, just married and paying $1500+ for an apartment, they will end up leaving the area as no way they can save for anything with rent like this. IF we can build and help them great and down stream rent out or help with a family or friend that needs a little help.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Look around for a simple building designer. Not an architect. It should be half that price. I paid $6000 for full house plans.

They do have to do Title 24 energy calcs, second floor will require engineer to sign off, all that adds up...

Rbcconst

Reaction score
The city of Long Beach has changed zoning regulations and I am now able to put a second story on my garage. We are limited to 800sq ft. so its not huge. I will do the build my self and was looking for a guy to draw plans for me to get thru the city. We met with an architect, explained what we were looking for, he sends us a contract last night for nearly $13k. WOW... am I off thinking that is way high?

Id expect 8k-10k depending on how involved. And that would be title 24, engineering and all the back n forth leg work to the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Deckin Around

Reaction score
It would be 1/3 to half that price if it was a new structure on bare dirt versus going over and tying into an existing structure. Get ready to rip off all the siding or stucco and shear panel the garage at the least. Ask your architect and engineer to draw it so the shear panel is on the inside to avoid that hassle and cost

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
The new California law says cities can’t stop you from building 2 units (mother in law or rental housing)on your property and the city can’t require additional parking. It’s a fucked up law, but why not take advantage of it. Build two units, rent one or two and enjoy the income. Rents are really high in Long Beach.

I've been contemplating adding a 2nd Dwelling on my property in Huntington Beach to live in when I retire as the rental market is crazy here. The rent I could get out my Main House in HB would pay that mortgage and also my Havasu House Mortgage. I would probably be an idiot not to do this, lol.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I've been contemplating adding a 2nd Dwelling on my property in Huntington Beach to live in when I retire as the rental market is crazy here. The rent I could get out my Main House in HB would pay that mortgage and also my Havasu House Mortgage. I would probably be an idiot not to do this, lol.

We wrote a blog on Adu’s for that exact reason. Its a no brainer for anyone who has the room and the funds.

https://rbcconstruction.com/california-casita-requirements-adu/

BajaMike

Reaction score
It’s a stupid, fucked up law, can you image what the on street parking will be like, in the beach cities where you can’t find parking now?

It’s fucked up, but if you have property, why not take advantage of it.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
It’s a stupid, fucked up law, can you image what the on street parking will be like, in the beach cities where you can’t find parking now?

It’s fucked up, but if you have property, why not take advantage of it.

I dont think you find them in the congested areas. You can only
Have a certain amount of lot coverage so this is set up for larger lots.

BajaMike

Reaction score

You can build up or roll in or build a couple “tiny houses” just about anywhere. From what I understand the city can’t require you to add more on site parking. It’s a fucking nightmare law, but people will take advantage of it.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score

Not necessarily true. This law does away with most setback requirements normally needed for new construction. I can only imagine some 20-30 years from now the amount of traffic caused by this law. SMH