WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Costa Mesa Speedway Racing

foxfam312

Let it Develop
Reaction score
I thought I would let everyone know that Costa Mesa Speedway Racing is going to run this Saturday night at Costa Mesa Fair grounds, My son Aaron fox #46 will be racing, this will be the first race back since this whole covid crap started.
A0713D88-3258-4D29-BE40-47866F147E04_1_201_a.jpeg

sintax

Reaction score
nice!! I'll be out there for sure this weekend, I really missed it over the last couple of years.

yea, my b-day is usually right around opening weekend, so we always used to go.

DoughBallin14

Reaction score
I thought I would let everyone know that Costa Mesa Speedway Racing is going to run this Saturday night at Costa Mesa Fair grounds, My son Aaron fox #46 will be racing, this will be the first race back since this whole covid crap started. View attachment 1117129
Awesome! Love me some speedway at costa mesa! Used to go pit for my uncle Mark Dwyer in the early 2000s when he wanted to get back into it! City of industry was fun for awhile also.
He used to run the circuit back in the day with his pops Mike Dwyer. Heres some classic photos of them. Might take the fam out and let them experience it finally!

Attachments

• 8E64F084-63A5-449C-9CB7-1CEAE2D6184C.jpeg
    8E64F084-63A5-449C-9CB7-1CEAE2D6184C.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 48
  • 2B2E42BE-C891-49F8-857D-7BABB3D06CF8.png
    2B2E42BE-C891-49F8-857D-7BABB3D06CF8.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Awesome! Love me done speedway at costa mesa! Used to go pit for my uncle Mark Dwyer in the early 2000s when he wanted to get back into it! City of industry was fun for awhile also.
He used to run the circuit back in the day with his pops Mike Dwyer. Heres some classic photos of them. Might take the fam out and let them experience it finally!
I remember them both. Between San Bernardino and Glen Helen I made better than 90% of Wednesday's for over 25 years. I was addicted.😁

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
Right on , we grew up there . 10 years old Bruce Penhal was kicking ass . Peeing in them big old piss troughs . Good times.

Industry starts in June on Wednesday nights too.
Screenshot_20220518-194642_Chrome.jpg

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Right on , we grew up there . 10 years old Bruce Penhal was kicking ass . Peeing in them big old piss troughs . Good times.

Industry starts in June on Wednesday nights too. View attachment 1117211
Yep. Bobby boogaloo Schwartz. Cook. Penhall. Correy. Spelling on some but good times

And one rider had a prosthetic leg I think. He lost it up in the crowd.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Oh darn, I'll be LHC - - looks like I can make it to one in August 🤦🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

AQUA-HOLICS

Reaction score
Since you brought up speedway, I was in high school when my dad was working for a company called Orange County Food Service located in Anahiem Ca. One of the owners was Tony Sigalos and his son Dennis Sigalos was a close friend of Bruce Penhall. One day Tony sent my dad down to Costa Mesa speedway to take measurements of the track and starting gate so he could reproduce it on the property of an old chicken ranch located next to the company yard in Anaheim. He even set it up with a foot pedal on the ground next to the starting line that raised the starting gate so they wouldn’t need anyones help. Dennis and Bruce would practice hours on end day after day on that track and it definitely paid off, after their speedway careers both raced on the same off shore boat team that Tony owned and started for the two of them to keep racing together.

racetrash

Reaction score
Remember skirt night? Wear a skirt, free entry! Mom made us some with velcro easy on off. And Mean Gene the dancing machine..good times..Harley night..

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Great time going there. Do they still do the intermission thing where they let people people on the track that think they can flat track a Harley bagger after 6 beers? That was always hilarious to watch.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Yep. Bobby boogaloo Schwartz. Cook. Penhall. Correy. Spelling on some but good times

And one rider had a prosthetic leg I think. He lost it up in the crowd.
David De temple, he was pretty good in his prime.

sintax

Reaction score
Great time going there. Do they still do the intermission thing where they let people people on the track that think they can flat track a Harley bagger after 6 beers? That was always hilarious to watch.

Yup! Gotta wait for Harley night though usually, which is I think the second event of the season

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, great memories going there in the 70's. Always looked nuts, but fun!!!

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
Hell yes🤘 Bruce Penhall was the man. I'm taking my kids.Braaaaaaap!

HBCraig

Reaction score
I thought I would let everyone know that Costa Mesa Speedway Racing is going to run this Saturday night at Costa Mesa Fair grounds, My son Aaron fox #46 will be racing, this will be the first race back since this whole covid crap started. View attachment 1117129
Very cool. One of the boys I used to coach is doing well put there I believe. Slater Lightcap. Don't know if you know him. He's 16

Lucky Larry

Reaction score
OMG ~ the good ol’ days!!!

Orange Show Speedway was the BOMB 💣 on Wednesday nights. We girls had a blast there and went all the time in high school & a few years after.

Bikers had all their bad ass choppers parked in front, turn 1 was the place to be, smoking weed in the stands was the norm. And the announcer always yelling “MORE RED SNAPPER”.

Bruce Penhall, Mike Bast, Mike Faria, Ermolenko, Boogaloo Schwartz, Sigalos ~ what a lineup.

David DeTemple was the rider who’s prosthetic came off . . . he was in my sister’s class @ St. Catherine’s.

If we weren’t cruising Market on Friday nights we’d sometimes venture to the west. OC Speedway was ok but it was nothing like
Orange Show Speedway.

“Lucky’s Wife”

MV Mike

Reaction score
Surprised nobody's mentioned Bob hurricane Hanna

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Having a bite to eat at Chili's in Cypress and headed that way soon.

sintax

Reaction score
I’m headed that way right now.

I’ll be wearing a blue Casale racing shirt and a Bostick hat.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
A few years back I had a kid in my class at 16 that was already making a name for himself. Gino Manzeres went over to Europe and was making a big splash, beating some of the best. Later came back here and jumped into the MMA world. The last I heard of him he was involved in a race here where the speedway guys and the flat trackers were having a contest to see who was fastest on the long track. I think he beat them all that day, but my memory isn't the best.

timstoy

Reaction score
Great racing tonight! Bikes were hooking up out of turn four and the sidecar racing were crazy. Some of the riders were a little rusty but they haven’t been on this track in two years We had a group of twenty in our group and talked to group of friends l hadn’t seen in awhile. Place was packed tonight! We all had a great time!

sintax

Reaction score
Great racing tonight! Bikes were hooking up out of turn four and the sidecar racing were crazy. Some of the riders were a little rusty but they haven’t been on this track in two years We had a group of twenty in our group and talked to group of friends l hadn’t seen in awhile. Place was packed tonight! We all had a great time!

Hah no kidding, even a #1 plate couldn’t save you exiting turn 4 tonight. Shit was wild. I’m so pumped for the upcoming races.

My dad and I were talking about when we used to go watch the half mile guys run out at Pomona. Does anything like that go on anymore?

GOTTBoat

Reaction score
OMG ~ the good ol’ days!!!

Orange Show Speedway was the BOMB 💣 on Wednesday nights. We girls had a blast there and went all the time in high school & a few years after.

Bikers had all their bad ass choppers parked in front, turn 1 was the place to be, smoking weed in the stands was the norm. And the announcer always yelling “MORE RED SNAPPER”.

Bruce Penhall, Mike Bast, Mike Faria, Ermolenko, Boogaloo Schwartz, Sigalos ~ what a lineup.

David DeTemple was the rider who’s prosthetic came off . . . he was in my sister’s class @ St. Catherine’s.

If we weren’t cruising Market on Friday nights we’d sometimes venture to the west. OC Speedway was ok but it was nothing like
Orange Show Speedway.

“Lucky’s Wife”
Orange Show was awesome! Billy Grey from Father Knows Best,
And way back….way way back on the fifty yard line Jim “The Animal” Fishback!

Last edited:

FreeBird236

Reaction score
A few years back I had a kid in my class at 16 that was already making a name for himself. Gino Manzeres went over to Europe and was making a big splash, beating some of the best. Later came back here and jumped into the MMA world. The last I heard of him he was involved in a race here where the speedway guys and the flat trackers were having a contest to see who was fastest on the long track. I think he beat them all that day, but my memory isn't the best.
I know sometime in the 70s I believe, Ivan Mauger came to Ascot and set a new track record first time out, I heard the flat trackers were a little pissed.

TCHB

Reaction score
Glad to see it get the crowds back.

sirbob

Reaction score
It was a packed house. We had a blast. Great to see everyone still supporting the sport.

I know I’m getting older and it’s been a long time since Ive been to speedway…. But I don’t recall the sidecars going clockwise?

timstoy

Reaction score
Hah no kidding, even a #1 plate couldn’t save you exiting turn 4 tonight. Shit was wild. I’m so pumped for the upcoming races.

My dad and I were talking about when we used to go watch the half mile guys run out at Pomona. Does anything like that go on anymore?
They race flat track at Perris speedway. l ran into Jim Bandlen at the races last night, Jim has raced Drag boats, K boats and GN boats over the years. Several years ago he started racing flat track and lately began building his own custom frames out of his shop, Competitive Sheet Metal in Santa Ana. Jim had a new bike on display last night at Costa Mesa last night under the Cody racing tent. Jim took a Jawa speedway ice racing engine and he made a custom frame for it. Jim rotated the engine so the cylinder is vertical in the frame! Jim worked with Wild Bill Cody out of Cody racing who imports Jawa bikes and parts for the US on the project. Jim runs the bike on methenol and a single speed gearbox just like the speedway bikes. On Instagram he goes buy junkfoodJim, sintax maybe you can help me out again and post a link from Instagram to this site. The bike is truly a one off custom and l can’t believe nobody thought of this combination before. Jim had a bunch of people looking at the bike last night and I would really like to see this bike race. I will get ahold of Jim and find out when the next time they race at Perris and post here.