F977D9A9-65D4-41A8-8BBF-34AD69904877.png
4A1901E8-08F3-451B-823C-E500A05862EE.png

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
If you’re hotting up the house:
Read this interesting info first:

The Firman is 30% harmonic distortion.
You want 1.5% to 3% max., preferably 1.5% or less.

Everything in your home is circuit boarded from your forced air heat to computers and so forth.
Above 3% will mess ‘um up.

Also it is louder than the Sledge Hammers of hell.

I really wanted this generator. Just easily pipe it to the home gas,, good to go. Just like hooking up a new cloths dryer even easier.

But the potential to wipe out the board on $3k fridge we went inverter.

Last edited:

riverbrian

Chloe's Dad
Reaction score
It got me out of trouble for the past two weeks ran the whole house except for microwave washer dryer dishwasher

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
I have been reading every thread on generators when they POP up. I am so suprised with as very Important Emergency power is to most in here, I believe Safe, Reliable and a "Done Deal" that you guys are messing around with IMO "Toys" Back in the Midwest wher I am from, People have a Generac or ? built/wired in and it is such a No Worry and Professional Choice that I feel is worth every $1.00 they Cost. They start when ever programmed to always be 'On Call" ready in case of an Emergency. They are professionally Wired in and a One Stop, Forget it Purchase.

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
I have a 15KW Generac wired in to my house and it works flawlessly.
However my back garage is not covered by the Generac and when we had a power outage last summer I couldn't get my big garage door open (18' wide X 14' hi)
so therefore couldn't get my cars out. So I bought a Harbor Freight 6500 portable generator (about $800). What a piece of JUNK! Noisy, and every time I ran it a different part or boat or nut would fall off of it. Harbor freight has a 60 or 90 day return policy, so I returned and and got all of my money back. Just got my new Honday EB500 ($2,500). The Honda is well worth the extra money. You get what you pay for! Really nice piece of equipment. Very quiet and well made. It powers my whole garage with 220/110 power.

DLC

Reaction score
I saw it on my Costco e mail and posted it up figured someone might like it.

I like my Yamaha gen sets but the one is $3500.
i do have a construction generator 3500 that just runs and runs and it’s beat to all hell and back and noisy. Starts every time And is 15 years old got it for less than $300 from depot.

petie6464

Reaction score
Junk. I for the life of me can't comprehend why people use good money to by garbage.

A tool is only good if it works, something that is needed in a emergency or just depended on when the time comes and fails is the ultimate kick to the groin.

You couldn't give me one of these POS.

I have a back up gen set. Uses a German Deutz air cooled diesel along with a Magna generator head and have ran it continuously for days.

For portable; Honda, not unbreakable but reliable and parts are redely available.

Pesky Varmint

Reaction score
If you’re hotting up the house:

The Firman is 30% harmonic distortion.
You want 1.5% to 3% max., preferably 1.5% or less.

Everything in your home is circuit boarded from your forced air heat to computers and so forth.
Above 3% will mess ‘um up.

Also it is louder than the Sledge Hammers of hell.

I really wanted this generator. Just easily pipe it to the home gas,, good to go. Just like hooking up a new cloths dryer even easier.

But the potential to wipe out the board on $3k fridge we went inverter.
And I should believe this distortion spec discussion because? (warning: I am a highly experienced electronic engineer with lengthy generator/inverter experience).

On a separate subject have had awesome performance from Kubota diesel generators for over 13 years. Warning: not cheap to buy but cheap to own.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
In todays world you get exactly what you pay for. My last house had a full service propane Generac auto start system. I spec'd the same thing on the new house we are having built. We would lose power about three times a year. Always during the worst weather of course and some times for three or four days. What a piece of mind when the lights go out and you sit in dead quit. Thirty seconds later you hear the loud clack out in the garage of the contactor pulling in, the beep of the microwave in the kitchen and the spark of normalcy as some LED lights come on slower then others.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
And I should believe this distortion spec discussion because? (warning: I am a highly experienced electronic engineer with lengthy generator/inverter experience).

Have we learned anything more on this distortion spec. stuff?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

According to their website its "25" guessing thats 25% on full load.

If thats right it's terrible.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
So, I have an older stationary propane generator that needs some love. It is a trailer mounted 15kw unit and am considering setting it up for backup use. It hasn't been started in 15 years or better but ran well when parked. I can make it run but the real question is the harmonic distortion. It is old enough I am not going to be able to look it up. Any way to test this? I would love to know if it is worth putting time and energy into it. I could buy something new but this is already paid for and reasonably sized for my house, and well.

Thoughts anyone?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
So, I have an older stationary propane generator that needs some love. It is a trailer mounted 15kw unit and am considering setting it up for backup use. It hasn't been started in 15 years or better but ran well when parked. I can make it run but the real question is the harmonic distortion. It is old enough I am not going to be able to look it up. Any way to test this? I would love to know if it is worth putting time and energy into it. I could buy something new but this is already paid for and reasonably sized for my house, and well.

Thoughts anyone?

See if you can get a name off the electrical end of the genset
Most gensets have a different electrical end than engine manufacturer.

If the name is right you can simply move on work on the motive end.

Once running you can rent or borrow a fluke scope and put a load on it and look at the waveform.

It will probably be worth it to get it going because even if its a dirty electrical end as some one will still buy a running working generator in these times.

Taboma

Reaction score

According to their website its "25" guessing thats 25% on full load.

If thats right it's terrible.

THD to a large degree depends on the nature of the load. If it's purely resistive, then most any generator can furnish a very low THD %, but you won't find that in modern homes. What we don't know is the testing parameters used to determine that. I'd certainly be hesitant to use it on anything I was fond of with micro-processors.

So I believe what the obtuse and relatively useless post by Pesky Varmint was hinting at was, well, fuck if I know, but he's an expert, who just wanted to blow his own horn and leave us all envious we're not him. 🤔 🥴 ;)

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

On a separate subject have had awesome performance from Kubota diesel generators for over 13 years. Warning: not cheap to buy but cheap to own.

You aren't alone.

The Kubota's and or Onans with Kubota engines are as good as it gets.

I had 7700 hours on a commercially used 8K with a D722 and UOA's showed almost no wear occurring in a 300 hour sump that was only 3 .5 quarts.
The guys on BITOG noted it didnt even look lil the oil had been run.

If you are really going to use it- its cheap for what it gives.

Taboma

Reaction score
Here's a link to a pretty good forum and section that provides some interesting discussion on generators.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
THD to a large degree depends on the nature of the load. If it's purely resistive, then most any generator can furnish a very low THD %, but you won't find that in modern homes. What we don't know is the testing parameters used to determine that. I'd certainly be hesitant to use it on anything I was fond of with micro-processors.

So I believe what the obtuse and relatively useless post by Pesky Varmint was hinting at was, well, fuck if I know, but he's an expert, who just wanted to blow his own horn and leave us all envious we're not him. 🤔 🥴 ;)

Fridges/ freezers, AC units and air compressors will put a good hurt on THD, Hard to start, and possessing variable resistance mid cycle you can get a good idea plugging in these and watching your sine wave "fuzz"

Whereas a heat gun or hair dryer is much easier on it.

Taboma

Reaction score
Lol. His Brand. Another guy had one too. Was quiet and seemed like a nice product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I've read about Firman, is for years they've made generators for other companies and decided to make and market their own brand. Some models have better ratings than others and are priced accordingly. I've never owned one.

Taboma

Reaction score
Fridges/ freezers, AC units and air compressors will put a good hurt on THD, Hard to start, and possessing variable resistance mid cycle you can get a good idea plugging in these and watching your sine wave "fuzz"

Whereas a heat gun or hair dryer is much easier on it.

Back in the late 70's computers started showing up in retail and suddenly we had this strange anomaly of shared neutral conductors getting HOT. Bought an expensive Fluke clamp-on amp meter that also showed harmonics. Holy shit, the switched power supplies were inducing current flow in different harmonic frequencies on top of our 60 cycle ones. Almost overnight, engineers were specifying individual neutrals and grounds to each computer terminal outlet.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
I have been reading every thread on generators when they POP up. I am so suprised with as very Important Emergency power is to most in here, I believe Safe, Reliable and a "Done Deal" that you guys are messing around with IMO "Toys" Back in the Midwest wher I am from, People have a Generac or ? built/wired in and it is such a No Worry and Professional Choice that I feel is worth every $1.00 they Cost. They start when ever programmed to always be 'On Call" ready in case of an Emergency. They are professionally Wired in and a One Stop, Forget it Purchase.

You, can't blame Human Nature attempting to save a $1.00, But!! seems every time I try to save 50cents, it costs me $50.00.The subject of these Generators when you need one, ususally an emergency or? I want it to run without any issues and then you will be willing to pay whatever to have Electricity. Everyone has priorities, and often when taking a step back and looking at the "Big Picture" things often change. When I was in a Blizzard and without power for three days. My priorities changed forever and everything else,(Toys,Bling etc.) took a place down the list. \\These portable Generators have a Place, but IMO it is Not for Homes these days and all the delicate equipment.
Remember the Old Commercial? You can Pay me now or Pay me later. ;)

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Are Generac home systems that good? Reviews are terrible...Kohler home gennies have good reviews but I’m not seeing them mentioned on RDP at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I just camped with the owner of Forman generators.. The guys bane is Jason (back right if this pic) super nice guy.. I was going to talk to him about a generator solution fir this vending trailer I am buying
534ED446-64E4-45C3-8120-A06BE9291CC3.jpeg

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

Well said.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I took him as saying “the number doesn’t mean anything unless you know how it was determined”

but I don’t think the whole world is twisting their evil mustache so I probably see it a bit different..

Pesky Varmint

Reaction score

I've personally had three quality Kubota generators operating for over 14 years on all manner of electronic/electrical devices in my house (which by the way is off-grid solar so it's inverters when it's not generators). Keep in mind the large numbers of RV's equipped with generators that over the years have successfully and reliably run a host of devices. PC boards don't define a vulnerable device. And generators are close enough as far as the sine wave quality that other more mundane difficulties such as voltage surges are likely to cause failures. And surges occur regardless of source as they are related to length of feed, current draw, and power interruption (inductive kickback).

Generators are very unlikely to hurt anything unless they have garbage voltage regulation (read: "made in china"). I also own 3 Onan generators are pretty reliable but getting parts is more difficult than the Kubota because most Onan dealers are "old school". Also bought a Generac 5000 watt diesel in 2015, had a Yanmar engine (that was reliable in some other generators I've had) but the engine crapped out in a year. Anytime you need anything for a Generac it's "see your dealer". Can't go online and find stuff. In other words tough to get parts for.

No, the problem is not generator distortion. My favorite RV related electrical problem is "modified sine wave" inverters. Many power tool battery chargers get destroyed by those inverters since their waveform is a square wave, and the chargers drop the incoming voltage using a capacitor (the explanation would be very lengthy). Another inverter problem, possibly applying to inverter generators, is if the output transistors fail. A good inverter is very heavy because it includes a transformer. There are many transformerless inverters. On the transformerless inverters (such as many inverter generators are), if the output transistor fails shorted it puts 150 volds DC on your power line which can destroy a lot of things. Been there, done that. It is possible to build a transformerless inverter that in the event of this type of failure will disconnect, but I haven't taken the time to research the market (yet). I've always bought transformer inverters with sine wave outputs. I suspect inverter generators from a reputable company such as Onan would be engineered correctly, but haven't dug into it.

Don't get me started on brush vs. brushless generators, straight rotor vs. twisted rotor and what that has to do with distortion. And other subjects like problems with 220 volt outputs used for 110, and causes of stator failure. Suffice to say that inverter generators are the wave of the future for a lot of mechanical as well as electrical reasons.

In summary, my personal experience (and I have no shortage of devices like computers, big screen TV's, surround sound, a complete electronic lab, and you can't hardly buy any electrical device now that doesn't have some PC board and have not had any failures (other than the stupid malfunctions inevitable in cheap Chinese electronic devices). I think IEEE is a bit demanding in their spec recommendation but that's how people have to be when they publish stuff, especially standards, in our highly litigious age. And it is not just my personal experience I provide informal support to a number of people in my area with off grid solar and generator back ups.

Last edited:

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
I've personally had three quality Kubota generators operating for over 14 years on all manner of electronic/electrical devices in my house (which by the way is off-grid solar so it's inverters when it's not generators). Keep in mind the large numbers of RV's equipped with generators that over the years have successfully and reliably run a host of devices. PC boards don't define a vulnerable device. And generators are close enough as far as the sine wave quality that other more mundane difficulties such as voltage surges are likely to cause failures. And surges occur regardless of source as they are related to length of feed, current draw, and power interruption (inductive kickback).

Generators are very unlikely to hurt anything unless they have garbage voltage regulation (read: "made in china"). I also own 3 Onan generators are pretty reliable but getting parts is more difficult than the Kubota because most Onan dealers are "old school". Also bought a Generac 5000 watt diesel in 2015, had a Yanmar engine (that was reliable in some other generators I've had) but the engine crapped out in a year. Anytime you need anything for a Generac it's "see your dealer". Can't go online and find stuff. In other words tough to get parts for.

No, the problem is not generator distortion. My favorite RV related electrical problem is "modified sine wave" inverters. Many power tool battery chargers get destroyed by those inverters since their waveform is a square wave, and the chargers drop the incoming voltage using a capacitor (the explanation would be very lengthy). Another inverter problem, possibly applying to inverter generators, is if the output transistors fail. A good inverter is very heavy because it includes a transformer. There are many transformerless inverters. On the transformerless inverters (such as may inverter generators are), if the output transistor fails shorted it puts 150 volds DC on your power line which can destroy a lot of things. Been there, done that. It is possible to build a transformerless inverter that in the event of this type of failure will disconnect, but I haven't taken the time to research the market (yet). I've always bought transformer inverters with sine wave outputs. I suspect inverter generators from a reputable company such as Onan would be engineered correctly, but haven't dug into it.

Don't get me started on brush vs. brushless generators, straight rotor vs. twisted rotor and what that has to do with distortion. And other subjects like problems with 220 volt outputs used for 110, and causes of stator failure. Suffice to say that inverter generators are the wave of the future for a lot of mechanical as well as electrical reasons.

In summary, my personal experience (and I have no shortage of devices like computers, big screen TV's, surround sound, a complete electronic lab, and you can't hardly buy any electrical device now that doesn't have some PC board and have not had any failures (other than the stupid malfunctions inevitable in cheap Chinese electronic devices). I think IEEE is a bit demanding in their spec recommendation but that's how people have to be when they publish stuff, especially standards, in our highly litigious age. And it is not just my personal experience I provide informal support to a number of people in my area with off grid solar and generator back ups.

The vision of hell I imagine for myself would be sitting between you and YumaRiverNaut on a 6 hours Spirit Airlines flight.

riverbrian

Chloe's Dad
Reaction score
Is there anything that you can put “in line”
To help the distortion issue?

Taboma

Reaction score

No, the problem is not generator distortion. My favorite RV related electrical problem is "modified sine wave" inverters. Many power tool battery chargers get destroyed by those inverters since their waveform is a square wave, and the chargers drop the incoming voltage using a capacitor (the explanation would be very lengthy). Another inverter problem, possibly applying to inverter generators, is if the output transistors fail. A good inverter is very heavy because it includes a transformer. There are many transformerless inverters. On the transformerless inverters (such as many inverter generators are), if the output transistor fails shorted it puts 150 volds DC on your power line which can destroy a lot of things. Been there, done that. It is possible to build a transformerless inverter that in the event of this type of failure will disconnect, but I haven't taken the time to research the market (yet). I've always bought transformer inverters with sine wave outputs. I suspect inverter generators from a reputable company such as Onan would be engineered correctly, but haven't dug into it.

Thanks, certainly interesting, thank you.
Here's my cliff note key point summary outline, which may or may not prove useful to other RDP members. If I've misrepresented, please correct me.

1st paragraph ---- You like Kubota generators, have proven reliable in your personal off-grid application.
Larger generators, such as whole house backup, or built in RV gens, tend to be more stable and generate a quality sine wave that even more sensitive equipment and devices can tolerate. To generalize, larger generators are less susceptible to sine wave irregularities than are small portables.

2nd paragraph ---- Generators made in China might have low quality (Garbage) voltage regulators (Like perhaps warehouse (Costco, Sams, Harbor Freight) offers, or even the Chinese built Firman, TPC was mentioning as one example ? ) and might fry your electronics.
You think Onan are reliable, but parts are more difficult to obtain. You're not big on Generac due to a Yanmar engine failure (Possible misapplication ?) and again, parts issues.

3rd paragraph ---- Power tool battery chargers don't like Modified (square) wave inverters (Not sure where you'd encounter these ?). some other inverters don't have transformers and can suffer output transistor failure, which can destroy lots of things. Transformer inverters with sine wave outputs are preferred.
Possible that inverter generators made from reputable company (Like perhaps Onan) are engineered correctly.

4th paragraph ---- Inverter generators are the wave of the future for various mechanical and electrical reasons.

5th paragraph (Summary) --- Author has not experienced PC Board electrical device failures, the exception being cheap Chinese electronic devices. The IEEE
( The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers ) is demanding with their standards. The electrical engineer author provides informal
support to off-grid neighbors in regards to solar and generator backups.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Since cummins bought Onan their service and dealer knowledge has tanked.

The Kubota powered Onans are inverters up to 8K, above that they go to fixed speed units.

I haven't seen anyone claiming a mod sine wave genset in decades, but some cheap inverters are.

In dog grooming van builds I standardized on the Onan 8K and Outback Inverters when not needing Ac.

IMG_0204.jpeg
IMG_0194.jpeg

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
In over 10K hours (thats being conservative) of genset usage FWIW the only electrical thing Ive ever toasted with any generator was the electrical end of my power tech generator itself.

Some one liked to kill the genset with the AC compressors running using my RV.

Taboma

Reaction score
I just camped with the owner of Forman generators.. The guys bane is Jason (back right if this pic) super nice guy.. I was going to talk to him about a generator solution fir this vending trailer I am buying

Perhaps there's more than one company that goes by the name Firman Power Equipment ? Not sure what this Jason owns, I see there's a Peoria AZ address.

Firman Generators I'm aware of, which is huge, is a China based company that's a division of Sumec Machinery Corp., that's a subsidiary of Sinomach aka ( China National Machinery Industry Corporation ).