WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

COSTCO Concierge vs LG 65" OLED FYI:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Our experience day one. It ain't what it used to be. We used to buy from COSTCO because of the great service and return policy.

18 months into ownership of our LG 65" OLED we're getting sudden black screen, purple screen with skeletons and screen burn-in.

We have the pixel refresher on automatic and even did the occasional manual refresher.
Also tried the screen fix YouTubes. Nope problems still persist.

So we contact COSTCO returns and they say it's a new policy, call the concierge. No more bringing the sets back to the store.

We bought the extended 7 year warranty that is independent of the 7 year extension on the LG warranty you get if you use your COSTCO Visa when you buy the set. Dual insured.
We paid just about $2.800 OTD.

So we get on the phone with the Concierge at 5 minutes past 2PM, at 3:55 we're still on the phone going through tests and still answering questions. About 1 hour 45 minutes and still not done with them.

Problems still persist. No fix.

So then another 15 - 20 minutes with another person on the phone that starts reading us our rights and how a service man has to come to the house and it may take up to a month to order parts. They'll call us next week for an appointment.

I remained cool the entire time.

Part two as this develops.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
That sucks about the set. I have had horrible luck with tvs outside of our two sharps that are still running strong in our bedroom and guestroom. Our living room sets always have issues.

Reactions: TPC

Groper

Reaction score
That sucks about the set. I have had horrible luck with tvs outside of our two sharps that are still running strong in our bedroom and guestroom. Our living room sets always have issues.
Weird you mentioned that, I'm on my second 65" Vizio outside TV in a covered Patio.
The first one purchased from Costco started to intermittently show vertical lines on the far left side then migrated to the center after a year n half then went all colored vertical lines.
The second one purchased from Walmart after a yr now goes black for a second or two then full screen, sometimes 3 or 4 times in 10 minutes or 3 or 4 times an hour.
The 60" Sharp (Costco) in the Garage with the doors open all the time is going on 10yrs and is perfect.
In our main living room we have a 4 yr old 75" Samsung (Costco) that when there's an all white screen there are darker vertical 2" lines, annoying. 😕
All of the issues started just outside the warranty, I'm thinking the newer TV's are CRAP. 😡

boatnam2

Reaction score
I never go to Costco, let my girl handle it but it was raining Sunday so I went to help. The amount up fcked up, inconsiderate, no clue assholes you can encounter in 30 minutes is insane. Even the workers were standing 5 deep in the middle of the main isle with 20 shopping carts pilling up behind them with no clue. Won't be going back anytime soon.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Service person showed up and replaced electronics inside the set.
Now the problems are worse and the remote no longer jives with the set.

It’s problems common to LG OLEDs we learned.
Standby for part 3.

We have 3 cheapie big screens in the Toy Hauler that get the hell beat out of them on the road and they are all outstanding.

Expensive LG OLED:
82307A59-C4CF-44E3-A2A4-8000F0AAA248.jpeg

Cheap-O RV TV:
A532B0C1-A73B-4FBA-9DB8-86EEDEF5EFDE.jpeg

Last edited:

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Service person showed up and replaced electronics inside the set.
Now the problems are worse and the remote no longer jives with the set.

It’s problems common to LG OLEDs we learned.
Standby for part 3.

We have 3 cheapie big screens in the Toy Hauler that get the hell beat out of them on the road and they are all outstanding.

Expensive LG OLED:
View attachment 844102

Cheap-O RV TV:
View attachment 844105

Sounds about right lol. Bummer on the repair or lack there of...

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Contacted this morning by the COSTCO Concierge Escalation Team.
They told me take the TV and remote back to the store and deal with the General manager only.

Bring my case #, power cord and remote and get a replacement set.
Aftermarket extended warranty transfers and stays in effect with the new TV.

I learned that if you use your COSTCO Visa car it extended the MFG warranty. So hold that thought if you didn't buy the aftermarket extended warranty.
Keep your receipts.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Weird you mentioned that, I'm on my second 65" Vizio outside TV in a covered Patio.
The first one purchased from Costco started to intermittently show vertical lines on the far left side then migrated to the center after a year n half then went all colored vertical lines.
The second one purchased from Walmart after a yr now goes black for a second or two then full screen, sometimes 3 or 4 times in 10 minutes or 3 or 4 times an hour.
The 60" Sharp (Costco) in the Garage with the doors open all the time is going on 10yrs and is perfect.
In our main living room we have a 4 yr old 75" Samsung (Costco) that when there's an all white screen there are darker vertical 2" lines, annoying. 😕
All of the issues started just outside the warranty, I'm thinking the newer TV's are CRAP. 😡
I agree.
Friends owns a million dollar a year bar and has a dozen WalMart bought big screens. Some last forever, most die slowly in two years. Cheap-o friend waits until the TV is unuseable, black screen dead before he'll return them.

From now on the super Cheap-o TCLs look OK. River trailer has 2 and they work ok.

rvrrun

Reaction score
With a fancy name like “concierge” it has to be good.
That sucks that Costco won’t warranty TVs the easy way anymore.

Nordie

Reaction score
I will never let my wife talk me into Vizio again, I went against my better judgment with going with the Samsung. Anyhow all is not lost these fuckers are repairable.

Most of the problems are with the boards. I did a little research and found a company that supplies every single board for like 50 or 60 bucks, much cheaper than replacing the tv. Ours that was having problems is not even 2 years old and I denied the extended warranty at best buy, and I believe Vizio is one year.

Kind of sucks Costco will not warranty it, but maybe this is an option for some of you guys that don't feel like purchasing new TVs at the moment.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Samsung for the win!

You shouldn't need to keep your receipts from Costco (it's a good idea) - they can look up every purchase you've ever made on their computers.

They changed their return policies on electronics and computers and some other items because people were just "borrowing them" and returning them after the super bowl or when a newer model came out. Basically rent and almost never own for some people. In life and business it only takes a few people to screw things up for everyone else.

Dylan

Reaction score
I think we have the same LG TV, also bought at Costco. Purchased around 1.5 years ago... Also had issues with it not recognizing inputs. They came out, replaced the electronics in the back of mine also around 8 months ago. Seemed to fix my problem, but my confidence in the product is lost. I wish I would have bought another Samsung instead :(

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
I think we have the same LG TV, also bought at Costco. Purchased around 1.5 years ago... Also had issues with it not recognizing inputs. They came out, replaced the electronics in the back of mine also around 8 months ago. Seemed to fix my problem, but my confidence in the product is lost. I wish I would have bought another Samsung instead :(
Samsun is worse on everything except cell.phones.

My samsung plasma died 1.5 years into it. Fixed the power supply board
The. 3 months later lines started to appear in the picture

Bottom line is it's all Korean or Chinese crap

white tortilla

Reaction score
I had similar a horrible experience with Best Buy with a large flatscreen last year. I bought a 75” Samsung, brought it home, hung it up, turned it on, 10% of left side was black. Box it up, take it back next day less then 18 hrs from purchase. They say well we don’t know it wasn’t damaged by you hanging it. I say it’s been less then one day, tv shows no physical damage, box is in good shape. All parts are there. Just want to exchange. They say new policy is they don’t take Returns / exchanges on the new large TVs they are so fragile most people break them on their own. They refuse to return, I refuse to take it with me. Manager says he’s not taking it back, I say I’m not taking it with me it’s a 100lb paperweight. So I left it with them and called credit card company and contested the charge which visa did return thecmoney. Best Buy sent me to collections 3 months later. Still fighting it but since they had last possession of the TV so far that’s working in my favor.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Samsung for the win!

You shouldn't need to keep your receipts from Costco (it's a good idea) - they can look up every purchase you've ever made on their computers.

They changed their return policies on electronics and computers and some other items because people were just "borrowing them" and returning them after the super bowl or when a newer model came out. Basically rent and almost never own for some people. In life and business it only takes a few people to screw things up for everyone else.

My BIL worked for Costco (they’re related to the Price family), he traded TV’s in every year and always had the latest and greatest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I had similar a horrible experience with Best Buy with a large flatscreen last year. I bought a 75” Samsung, brought it home, hung it up, turned it on, 10% of left side was black. Box it up, take it back next day less then 18 hrs from purchase. They say well we don’t know it wasn’t damaged by you hanging it. I say it’s been less then one day, tv shows no physical damage, box is in good shape. All parts are there. Just want to exchange. They say new policy is they don’t take Returns / exchanges on the new large TVs they are so fragile most people break them on their own. They refuse to return, I refuse to take it with me. Manager says he’s not taking it back, I say I’m not taking it with me it’s a 100lb paperweight. So I left it with them and called credit card company and contested the charge which visa did return thecmoney. Best Buy sent me to collections 3 months later. Still fighting it but since they had last possession of the TV so far that’s working in my favor.

Best Buy sucks azz. Seen all kinna issues with them...

I had One. I found the CEO's email and dealt directly with him.

It got handled.

TeamGreene

Reaction score
Samsung for the win!

This is exactly why Costco changed their policy. Bunch of assholes ruin it for everyone.

Taboma

Reaction score
Well Gee, not sure why, 🤔 but suddenly that giddy anticipation of purchasing that new 75" Ultimate Bitchen -- 'count the freckles on a bugs ass' --- TV to replace my perfectly fine 11 year old Samsung 65" has been torn from my grasp. 😪

"RDP, come in happy, we guarantee you'll leave depressed" (Insert sarcasm emoji here, still can't find one after two years of waiting 🤬)

😁

Costco Sucks, Best Buy Sucks, I'm not buying a new 75" TV at fuckin Wallymart ---- so where then ? I can't imagine dealing with Amazon would be fun if you had to return a big screen.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Well Gee, not sure why, 🤔 but suddenly that giddy anticipation of purchasing that new 75" Ultimate Bitchen -- 'count the freckles on a bugs ass' --- TV to replace my perfectly fine 11 year old Samsung 65" has been torn from my grasp. 😪

"RDP, come in happy, we guarantee you'll leave depressed" (Insert sarcasm emoji here, still can't find one after two years of waiting 🤬)

😁

Costco Sucks, Best Buy Sucks, I'm not buying a new 75" TV at fuckin Wallymart ---- so where then ? I can't imagine dealing with Amazon would be fun if you had to return a big screen.

I would use Best Buy, but I would get Everything in writing up front. Maybe even let their douche bags deliver it, plug it in and make sure it works.

I bought my Sony from them, and had it delivered. (They couldn't say it was my fault if there was a damage problem).

The only TV I Would buy is from Sony. Not sure who else sells Sony?

TeamGreene

Reaction score
I had a run in with Costco concierge back in 09/2010. We bought a Phillips LCD to the tune of $1400 and it started having problems about 18 mo in.
called them and was put on a call with Costco and a Phillips rep who ran me through the gamete and software update yada yada. It started working fine after that but while I was on the phone I told the Costco rep " look this thing is about to be out of warranty and I having issues" she says don't worry it's documented so if you have problems out of warranty it will be taken care of.

Well one second out of warranty it literally blows up on the wall smoke coming out of it like it had a 24 month fucking timer inside just waiting to strike midnight.
Called Costco and contacted the concierge told them the back story etc... meanwhile I had also discovered the tv repair store where they send them to be looked at. So I went ahead and took it in and it was terminal. LCD light panel took a shit.

Costco tells me to take it to designated repair shop to which I said already did and it's not fixable.
They tell me we will refer this to XYZ and they will be contacting you in a few days. Call comes and to nobody's surprise they say well your tv is out of warranty sorry.
Well I'm sorry I'm not paying $1400 to use a tv for 2 yrs and you need to do something about this. Which starts the whole getting moved up the food chain to the next person etc. until I get this guy named Bob and he was the last in line.

I get the well we're sorry we can't do anything about this to which I said " Well Bob it's not can't, it's about will you or won't you do the right thing. So I tell you what if you don't make this right I'm going to put this POS in the back of my truck with a big ol' sign stating what happened and park it in front of the Victorville Costco for everyone to see." This whole process took about a month. Bottom line they got Phillips to sell a refurb tv at cost to me and Costco split it with me. Tv still works by the way.

gqchris

Reaction score
I guess I don't care with TV's and it just doesnt bother me because if it shits the bed, I go out a buy another. About the price of filling my RV up with Gas. LOL

These threads always crack me up as each person has their "brand". I just buy the cheapest and somehow the always work!

Sucks about Costco, Ross. Seems like the opportunists have now ruined it and they will be changing more policies soon I bet.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We took the TV in and they gave us a $650 credit toward a new TV. WTF?
Wait a minute, I bought the warranty and the LG was about $2800.

So they call the manager over and he said I could go get the same LG even trade, but the same problems will re-occur. Lots of LG returns.

The COSTCO TV guy said the Samsung is much better, especially the newest, they have no returns or hassles, though less money, a better set.
Took the Samsung, nice.

Grueling experience.
Several others returning theirs and pissed off at the current return policy.

I kept my cool and worked through the system.
So now remembering all my passwords, reconnect netflix, Disney, YouTube Prime, Curiosity etc ect.

Taboma

Reaction score
I would use Best Buy, but I would get Everything in writing up front. Maybe even let their douche bags deliver it, plug it in and make sure it works.

I bought my Sony from them, and had it delivered. (They couldn't say it was my fault if there was a damage problem).

The only TV I Would buy is from Sony. Not sure who else sells Sony?

I was enamored with the super long Costco 5 (Samsung) + 2 (Costco Card) "Free" warranty on a 75" I've been eyeballin for months now --- that was when my 11 YO 65" Samsung started acting wonky one night --- figured last leg shit. Did a unplug re-boot and it's been perfect since.
Also been checking at Best Buy, essentially same price, just no freebie warranty. BUT, Best Buy will do a delivery and haul off so they can't say we broke it (Your experience). Also really like the Sony's, but as much as I've got 5 Samsungs (Here and Havasu) the youngest being 10 years old and not ONE problem, also a 10 YO Samsung French Door Frig --- not one problem with it either I've obviously got no gripes with them.

Joking aside, I do appreciate the reviews / product, store feedback, because honestly I figured I could do no better than that famous Costco Guarantee, but apparently it's not worth shit when their so called Concierge service applies.
Good Info !!!

My next door neighbor is a retired X-Exec with Sony here in San Diego -- they of course they have a new Sony, her biggest gripe is essentially being forced to setup a Google Account in order for the TV to complete the setup process. I was told on Samsung you can skip that BS during setup. Keeping in mind, I'm old and analog 😁

28Eliminator

Reaction score
That sucks... I’ve been pondering a new TV, but my 15 year old Samsung Plasma has never skipped a beat.

guess I’ll keep it around..

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I guess I don't care with TV's and it just doesnt bother me because if it shits the bed, I go out a buy another. About the price of filling my RV up with Gas. LOL

These threads always crack me up as each person has their "brand". I just buy the cheapest and somehow the always work!

Sucks about Costco, Ross. Seems like the opportunists have now ruined it and they will be changing more policies soon I bet.

Same for me.

I buy the below averaged price and not feature packed TVs etc. Seems the latest, greatest stuff never lasts as long in my anecdotal experience.

Had ok luck with that strategy so far.

7 year old 70” Vizio may be on deck for replacement, it’s got a couple inconsistent spots on it...we will see.

A 75” Vizio replacement is under $800 at Costco.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I was enamored with the super long Costco 5 (Samsung) + 2 (Costco Card) "Free" warranty on a 75" I've been eyeballin for months now --- that was when my 11 YO 65" Samsung started acting wonky one night --- figured last leg shit. Did a unplug re-boot and it's been perfect since.
Also been checking at Best Buy, essentially same price, just no freebie warranty. BUT, Best Buy will do a delivery and haul off so they can't say we broke it (Your experience). Also really like the Sony's, but as much as I've got 5 Samsungs (Here and Havasu) the youngest being 10 years old and not ONE problem, also a 10 YO Samsung French Door Frig --- not one problem with it either I've obviously got no gripes with them.

Joking aside, I do appreciate the reviews / product, store feedback, because honestly I figured I could do no better than that famous Costco Guarantee, but apparently it's not worth shit when their so called Concierge service applies.
Good Info !!!

My next door neighbor is a retired X-Exec with Sony here in San Diego -- they of course they have a new Sony, her biggest gripe is essentially being forced to setup a Google Account in order for the TV to complete the setup process. I was told on Samsung you can skip that BS during setup. Keeping in mind, I'm old and analog 😁

I just set up a friends new LG out at the river. Had do to all that account set up stuff too. But.........................................

If you use a Firestick in any of em, you can avoid all of that jazz!

It's not a big deal anyway really. You're just registering the TV for the factory warranty is all. No big. :)

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
We took the TV in and they gave us a $650 credit toward a new TV. WTF?
Wait a minute, I bought the warranty and the LG was about $2800.

So they call the manager over and he said I could go get the same LG even trade, but the same problems will re-occur. Lots of LG returns.

The COSTCO TV guy said the Samsung is much better, especially the newest, they have no returns or hassles, though less money, a better set.
Took the Samsung, nice.

Grueling experience.
Several others returning theirs and pissed off at the current return policy.

I kept my cool and worked through the system.
So now remembering all my passwords, reconnect netflix, Disney, YouTube Prime, Curiosity etc ect.

Firestick my man. Makes life a LOT easier!

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
We have 11 vizios in the havasu house with one 75” outside, no issues with any of them. The outside is under a roof and has a cover when we are gone, I’ve always had good luck with them. Most have been bought at Walmart since there isn’t a Costco bear havasu.

bonesfab

Reaction score
I have had good luck with samsung’s. Granted they are not on all day as it is just me at the house.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

Good Info !!!

Sony’s are priced good at COSTCO but someone mentioned in RDP the electronics chip power are wasted on things most never use. Still did consider it but it was 70” and wouldn’t fit.

With the 4K blue ray players playing colorful demos on the higher priced units it suckers people like me in.

Just cheap O sets from now on.
Even with earthquake straps everything still gets its brains rattled and slammed against the wall anyway.

Those cheap o big screens in the TH have 5000 rough miles and are excellent.
$329 each at Walmart.

As Teamgreen pointed out like in their case I paid $100 a month to rent the LG.

The Samsung has a 5 year factory warranty and they transferred me the COSTCO warranty that I pretty much consider worthless.

I asked the manager “what’s the advantage of buying a TV from Costco anymore?”
“Save $200” was all he had for me.

A lot of really angry TV customers at the customer service counter so that did add to the drama.
Paperwork got mixed up, employees running scared, confusion as what to do, forgotten about and had to remind them.

It didn’t go well but the TPC always preaches “lose your head and your ass soon follows”.
I didn’t lose my head but lost my ass anyway.

Last edited:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I won’t pay full retail for the latest and greatest. I generally buy what was great yesterday, at a steep discount.

A good TV from a year or two ago still looks amazing today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Taboma

Reaction score
Alas, most of the 'Tech' associated with new TVs is lost on me due to several factors --- being old and grasping desperately to retain the simple, familiar analog world only being one of several, lol 🤓 Rural slow-ass DSL II internet speeds being yet another.
And yet, it's age that's also pushing me to buy that latest and greatest simply because I can and given the possibility I might expire before the useless extended warranty :eek:

I've dealt with extended warranty providers on my kitchen appliances, holy hell, that's guaranteed to produce "Warranty Rage" unless you're on some serious medication.
Doesn't help when you end up training the dick-wad they send to replace a board or part. Also pushes one off the ledge when you discover that when the warranty excludes an induction burner (Which is of course not a burner at all but an electro-magnet) it also excludes the micro-processor board that controls it --- fuck me 🤬

So yes sir, it's with some serious trepidation that I ply the waters of replacing my old but so far rock solid ten year old 65" Samsung. From all I keep reading, I'm convinced that "Oldie But Goodie" isn't just a saying.

If I could even remotely feel that the Best Buy Geek Squad was less frustrating than dealing with Samsung, Sony, Costco, Citibank Visa, or Square Trade, I'd simply buy there, I find no evidence of that. Same shit, different phone number. 😤

When I bought some flowers for my gal yesterday at Costco I took a moment to chat it up with their TV sales dude --- I know, why bother right 🤪 I don't bother when my wife's along, she berates me for being a fool enough to waste my time and ends up with a headache from rolling her eyes back so far 🙄

It was explained that on the Samsungs the five years is all on Samsung -- you deal with them directly. If you use your Costco Citibank Visa, the additional two years is provided by Citibank. Also, if you want a condom over the condom, for $ 99 you purchase the Square Trade Ext Warranty which covers things (Not sure what) in addition and overlapping what Samsung and Citibank cover --- There was no mention of Costco Concierge Service on Samsungs. That Concierge only applied on some products like LG and Sony when Costco provides an extra year --- for more years, you're back with Square Trade.
Would seem you've been told differently ?

So maybe you and a few others have the right idea, just buy a cheap ass UHD TV, use it until it self-destructs, toss it and buy another, so on and so forth.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Oh Snap, glad they are getting you a replacement set. I bought our bedroom LG OLED 55" through BestBuy in late 2017, I think I got the extended warranty.

I've had to solder on an older Samsung to keep it going.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Oh Snap, glad they are getting you a replacement set. I bought our bedroom LG OLED 55" through BestBuy in late 2017, I think I got the extended warranty.

I've had to solder on an older Samsung to keep it going.
What used to be with COSTCO ya rolled in the old set, and rolled out with a new is now a 3 week duration with a repairman visit to the house, hours on the phone, with a 45 cents on the dollar guarantee.

Last edited:

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
What used to be with COSTCO ya rolled in the old set, and rolled out with a new is now a 3 week with a repairman repairman visit, hours on the phone, with a 45 cents on the dollar guarantee.

That totally sucks... kind of like talking to Verizon... hours

Well after people go through that process they may not be so quick to purchase Tvs at Costco.

Taboma

Reaction score
What used to be with COSTCO ya rolled in the old set, and rolled out with a new is now a 3 week with a repairman repairman visit, hours on the phone, with a 45 cents on the dollar guarantee.

Since you've had recent experience (As bad as it was) --- but doesn't Costco still offer a 90 Day return should you encounter an early failure, or perhaps even if you're dissatisfied ?

Taboma

Reaction score
That totally sucks... kind of like talking to Verizon... hours

Well after people go through that process they may not be so quick to purchase Tvs at Costco.

I agree, in my case even though I wanted the 75" 80 series Samsung (Better anti-glare and side viewing) over Costco's 75" 7 Series, I was attracted by the "Free" extra years warranty -- if that's not worth it, then I need to reconsider what I really need versus what I think I want. o_O

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Since you've had recent experience (As bad as it was) --- but doesn't Costco still offer a 90 Day return should you encounter an early failure, or perhaps even if you're dissatisfied ?
Yeah. Used to be much, much longer but I had read in the WSJ stockholders were raising hell about that,, so now this.

As Maynard and I pushed the bad TV on the flat bed cart in the walk of shame from the farthest parking spot through the crowded COSTCO parking lot, passers by asked "Is that the LG OLED" or "That's the LG OLED isn't it?"

Last edited: