WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

[WTB] Cougar mtr 22 OB

Speedicat

Reaction score
Turnkey or without power rigged for Merc. I know not many come up for sale, but I am patient when my minds made up! Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Not exactly but i do know of an absolutely gorgeous KMG/Mach 22 with a Merc 400.
1C656385-1694-48B1-9C9B-807CAF465688.jpeg

Last edited:

Speedicat

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. Very nice looking boat! I am looking for a flat floor and a little more free board then they have. Might have a friend interested. I will let him know.

Speedicat

Reaction score
I have seen yours on Scream & Fly. Love it! I have yet to find anyone who has owned an MTR 22 that didn't love it. This is my problem nobody wants to sell their gem! Had a scam guy yesterday respond with photo's of Hypospeeds 22 he bought from Warlock with no power. Scammers everywhere!

Speedicat

Reaction score
What a looker! What does that bad boy run with a 400R? I sent my friend the link to this thread already.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
What a looker! What does that bad boy run with a 400R? I sent my friend the link to this thread already.
Mid 90’s is it, but there’s more in it. He has been playing with props and learning the adjustments on the hydraulic mount, now he’s looking for a 255 Speedster.

Speedicat

Reaction score
My friend loved the photo's of the boat but come to find out he bought a used Daytona 25. He was just going to surprise me next time we met up. Think he is already having buyer's remorse. If I hear anybody looking for a Phantom, I will send them your way. I seem to remember someone looking on one of the other sites.

RCDave

Reaction score
I admire your particular choice in boats. I did the same and have been very happy I got and o/b powered 22 MTR

Speedicat

Reaction score
The first photo had it on the top. Think it was $102K. Just noticed no longer on the top.

Speedicat

Reaction score
I admire your particular choice in boats. I did the same and have been very happy I got and o/b powered 22 MTR
Thanks Dave, Been a Cougar fan for a long time but life always got in the way. Really want to run a 300R on the back. Know a couple guys that just love the acceleration from that motor and have broken the magic 100mph mark. I think you made a very wise choice!

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Don't you hate when you ask about a Cougar and them some guy posts up something else? Well, how about this? lol

Flatsix66

Reaction score
I lost track of the story but I thought some guy in Michigan bought the Cougar 22 mold and actually built a few boats in the last few years...

Speedicat

Reaction score
Don't you hate when you ask about a Cougar and them some guy posts up something else? Well, how about this? lol

Thanks Dan, I actually talked to the owner when he first posted it. To many things I would have to change to make it the way I want it. I do appreciate the response. The only Cougar response I have had was a scammer.

Speedicat

Reaction score
I lost track of the story but I thought some guy in Michigan bought the Cougar 22 mold and actually built a few boats in the last few years...
That was a guy named Joe and have talked with him. He hurt his back and had to stop working on the mold. He did produce at least one that I seen a photo of and looked great, but that is taken. He has been trying to sell the mold outright or be a partner is the process of the production. He is in negotiations and told me he would contact me when a deal has been finalized.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
That was a guy named Joe and have talked with him. He hurt his back and had to stop working on the mold. He did produce at least one that I seen a photo of and looked great, but that is taken. He has been trying to sell the mold outright or be a partner is the process of the production. He is in negotiations and told me he would contact me when a deal has been finalized.
You seem to have very particular requirements and know exactly what you want. Curious, where do you boat, how many people, how fast do you want to go, how safe do you want to be?

Speedicat

Reaction score
You seem to have very particular requirements and know exactly what you want. Curious, where do you boat, how many people, how fast do you want to go, how safe do you want to be?
Yeah, I am one of those people that get a plan in their head and am really not happy until I have accomplished it. Lots of research then start the hunt. Think that comes restoring muscle cars as a hobby for most of my life. I plan for a Cougar has been going for a long time and either life got in the way or had to many car projects going so kept putting on the back burner. Getting to an age where I just need to check it off the list. Havasu would be the most common destination, but also have friends up north so Shasta is in the mix. Does not have to go triple digits when I first buy it, but by the 2nd season it will. I already have a color layout in my head so hopefully in the 2nd season I can get that also completed. Will have to sell a car or two to make some room. Lol

Speedicat

Reaction score
I received an Email from Joe Naponiello who owned and cleaned up the MTR 22 molds. He is selling them to someone in Texas and is heading there this weekend to finalize the transaction. He said once its complete he will send me the shop information that now has the mold. Sure hope its a reputable boat builder.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
I received an Email from Joe Naponiello who owned and cleaned up the MTR 22 molds. He is selling them to someone in Texas and is heading there this weekend to finalize the transaction. He said once its complete he will send me the shop information that now has the mold. Sure hope its a reputable boat builder.
Oh good, let's hope so! Maybe it's Liberator, I thought they were in Texas.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Whats your price range your willing to pay?

stevesdcb

Reaction score
Last year at this time I too was looking hard for a 22 Cougar with a single. Flatsix66 & RCDave have nice ones. Hard boat to find & in this current “sellers“ market your going to have to probably pay big time. The DCB/Phantom boat looks nice, was for sale last year, I think the price went up this year? Cougar looks like it has a little more freeboard. Good luck, I’ll be following along.

Speedicat

Reaction score
Last year at this time I too was looking hard for a 22 Cougar with a single. Flatsix66 & RCDave have nice ones. Hard boat to find & in this current “sellers“ market your going to have to probably pay big time. The DCB/Phantom boat looks nice, was for sale last year, I think the price went up this year? Cougar looks like it has a little more freeboard. Good luck, I’ll be following along.
The MTR 22 will be produced new under a new company in the fall (at the earliest). They bought the molds and they are all cleaned up. I know one of the partners but they are keeping it tight lipped. I know it will be in Texas, and they are having issues with the supply chain getting the products they want to use.

Speedicat

Reaction score
Whats your price range your willing to pay?
It really comes down to the motor. My goal is to run a 300R so I don't want to pay $50K and have to spend another $35k for the motor. I will wait for the new ones to come out if that's the case. I all get is scammers contacting me. Nobody that really has one for sale so have no idea what they are even going for.

Telo21

Reaction score
The MTR 22 will be produced new under a new company in the fall (at the earliest). They bought the molds and they are all cleaned up. I know one of the partners but they are keeping it tight lipped. I know it will be in Texas, and they are having issues with the supply chain getting the products they want to use.
Do you know if they will be producing the 23 or 27 MTR also?? Love the look of the cougars but can’t find much information about them at all. If the new company has any social media pages that will be giving any updates please share! Thank you!

Luv2gofast

Reaction score
Do you know if they will be producing the 23 or 27 MTR also?? Love the look of the cougars but can’t find much information about them at all. If the new company has any social media pages that will be giving any updates please share! Thank you!
The 23 mold is for sale, also from Joe. Maybe if the 22 works out for them they will expand! Pure conjecture, I don’t know any of the parties involved. Just another Cougar fan.

Speedicat

Reaction score
I haven't talked to Joe in a couple months, has he asked me to be patient. I know it will be done in Texas, but that is about it. Don't know if it will be a brand-new company or an existing boat builder is taking on the project. Joe will be involved as that was part of the deal on the sale of the mold. The name Joe was going to give it originally was C22, but with a partner now that may be changed. As far as the 23' mold I know joe knows who has it and is helping them sell it. He told me the mold would have to go through extensive cleanup like he did on the 22'. Joe has never mentioned the 27' mold. When I hear anything from Joe, I will pass it along.

Luv2gofast

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I saw the 23 mold listed by Joe on S&F so thought he had them both.

Speedicat

Reaction score
It's a 21 but you are correct its very nice. Same guy just sold a dark blue 23 MTR with twin 2.5 motors about 6 weeks ago. He is restoring a 22 MTR with twins right now. Told me he searched for a 22' for over two years.

Duramax

Reaction score

Speedicat

Reaction score
This is the 22 Cougar he is restoring right now. Was in Hot Boat mag. Said he is going to restore to original gel coat colors. Is going to add offshore mids on the twin 2.8's. He does nice work. I am very surprised that his MTR 21 hasn't sold yet.

Attachments

• Cougar 22 Hot Boat Jan. 2001.png
    Cougar 22 Hot Boat Jan. 2001.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 119
  • 22 restore.jpg
    22 restore.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 122

Speedicat

Reaction score
I had a quick chat with Joe that had the Cougar MTR 22' molds and went into a partnership to start building the boat again last night. Things have been moving slower for him and his partner due to the economy but did let me know that the land has been purchased for the new facility. Still tight lipped about things but since the molds were shipped to Texas, I have to believe that's where the facility will be. When I get anymore updates, I will post them.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
This is the 22 Cougar he is restoring right now. Was in Hot Boat mag. Said he is going to restore to original gel coat colors. Is going to add offshore mids on the twin 2.8's. He does nice work. I am very surprised that his MTR 21 hasn't sold yet.

Looks like he removed the motor and is selling less power.

Last edited:

caroftheweek

Reaction score
Is there an update on the new company? Is the 23 still available? The link above is dead.

Speedicat

Reaction score
I have heard nothing in the last month. Joe had told me his partner is responsible for getting the building built and that he had purchased the land. The timeline he gave me for an update is 3 to 8 months. The boat tested faster than anyone projected, and the insurance company was balking at the weight to speed ratio. Joe told me he was not comfortable with it either and planned to add some weight. The insurance company told him if they produce 5 fishing boats, they can be considered a pleasure boat company instead of a high-performance boat company. Thus, reducing his insurance greatly. Just a lot of ducks to get in a row before they can do anything. He said there will be 5 models and they would only offer 3 gel coat colors per boat at least at the start. That is all I know at this point, and he said he would call me when things progress. They have access to the 23 molds but it needs to be all redone like they did with the 22.

caroftheweek

Reaction score
I have heard nothing in the last month. Joe had told me his partner is responsible for getting the building built and that he had purchased the land. The timeline he gave me for an update is 3 to 8 months. The boat tested faster than anyone projected, and the insurance company was balking at the weight to speed ratio. Joe told me he was not comfortable with it either and planned to add some weight. The insurance company told him if they produce 5 fishing boats, they can be considered a pleasure boat company instead of a high-performance boat company. Thus, reducing his insurance greatly. Just a lot of ducks to get in a row before they can do anything. He said there will be 5 models and they would only offer 3 gel coat colors per boat at least at the start. That is all I know at this point, and he said he would call me when things progress. They have access to the 23 molds but it needs to be all redone like they did with the 22.

Thanks for the update. Is the 23 mold for sale?

c_land

Reaction score
Still listed for sale on S&F with contact info. It's in the "over 20' boats for sale
Do you know which company built the most recent 23? Was it the 2012 domin8er built Blue/White/Grey boat with twin 200's?

Speedicat

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Is the 23 mold for sale?
Joe's friend has had it for sale a couple times. Not sure right now. I have sent a couple guys his way wanting to see if he would build it once the company was up and running. Let me fire off an Email to him and see what is up with the molds.

Speedicat

Reaction score
Do you know which company built the most recent 23? Was it the 2012 domin8er built Blue/White/Grey boat with twin 200's?
I am not sure. I thought Kansas City Cougar had the molds when Joe's friend bought them. We were discussing manufacturers quality in our last phone conversation and Domin8er was the one west coast company he said he would avoid.