WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Could be the coolest pic ever...

Tooned Up

Reaction score
I found this earlier tonight... This takes bad ass to a new level!!
0272A986-6377-4EF1-9F55-A8E065A2834F.jpeg

blue wonder

Reaction score
So your a boat racer and know people that run top fuel boats???

4Waters

Reaction score
So your a boat racer and know people that run top fuel boats???
If you know the answer then why ask, I have been following drag racing closely for nearly 35 years, you pick up a thing or two over the years and I have helped with a friends nostalgia top fuel.

blue wonder

Reaction score
Ok well “following” drag racing and being a part of it are completely different, I am involved with the sport pretty heavily and your comments are wrong, just sayin...nostalgia top fuel on asphalt and boat racing are two entirely different things and the way things are tuned

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Poor Scotty hope he's doing better. Anybody had any contact with him lately?

4Waters

Reaction score
Ok well “following” drag racing and being a part of it are completely different, I am involved with the sport pretty heavily and your comments are wrong, just sayin...nostalgia top fuel on asphalt and boat racing are two entirely different things and the way things are tuned
Ok sounds good
thumbs-up-facebook.png

4Waters

Reaction score
A dead cylinder is a dead cylinder.

4Waters

Reaction score
Yes a cylinder will be dead on a fuel motor with all the timing ramped out of it, they will re ignite after the timing is out back in then
So the tuners want cylinders to go in and out throughout the pass, then why not just run a 6cyl

4Waters

Reaction score
Yes a cylinder will be dead on a fuel motor with all the timing ramped out of it, they will re ignite after the timing is put back in
I know it's not uncommon but it's not what they want, and timing is just one reason why cylinders go out

blue wonder

Reaction score
I know it's not uncommon but it's not what they want, and timing is just one reason why cylinders go out
Guess you should be a tuner for a top fuel team since you know how to run one better than they do, should probably wait by the phone tomorrow for the call to take over the program, hahahahaha

Gelcoater

Reaction score
So the tuners want cylinders to go in and out throughout the pass, then why not just run a 6cyl
I read it as cylinders being not fired on launch and coming in after a timing/programmed point.
The can’t launch at 11,000hp caught my eye as a reason why.

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
Why pump all that fuel through a dead cylinder and then light it further down the run? I would think there were better methods. Enlighten us mere keyboard mortals please. o_O

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Cool pic.
I know nothing about tuning top fuel but it would make sense to kill the spark and lite off the cylinder than to try and manipulate fuel then lite it off. The second scenario sounds like burning up a cylinder.
Is there a clutch for 11k HP.
I know a few guys who run Lenco on far less HP.

motormonkey

Reaction score
I didn’t know on a full mechanical engine you could randomly kill cylinders and bring them back in. Retard the timing yes. But not on an individual cylinder basis.
You can with a two step limiter or the msd grid and others.

Checkmate21

Reaction score
Ever heard of a slipper clutch? You do not want to drop cylinders on a fuel motor!!! It can get very expensive very fast!!

HighVoltage329

Reaction score
I'm no expert but once the spark plugs are that wet it's difficult to get them to relight. Great pics.

Mototrig

Reaction score
Why pump all that fuel through a dead cylinder and then light it further down the run? I would think there were better methods. Enlighten us mere keyboard mortals please. o_O
I don't know if this is common practice for every modern TF motor, but I have seen injectors spraying fuel into the blower intake, my guess is to begin the fuel atomization sooner. If this is the case in this pic then it would be impossible to eliminate all the fuel going into a purposely tuned dead cylinder during launch.

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
I would think it has something to do with the whole boat out of the water and a normal launch would not come out like that. With the props out like that there is no load on the motor. My understanding is that a fuel motor needs a load on it. When the load goes away, the RPMs come up which spins the fuel pump faster, which increases the fuel pressure and pumps too much fuel into the motor, and ends up drowning out the spark.

One thing I can tell you, I have been next to them on the rope before and they are crazy when they launch. Kind of always slide over as far away from them as you can.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Practicality...
The hobby of boating...:D
...then racing...
Then we aren't only adding race fuel, adding nitro. Nitro, basically crystal meth for engines. Great until full cardiac arrest.

...and shit pukes it's guts out:eek:

fastenuff3

Reaction score
I would think it has something to do with the whole boat out of the water and a normal launch would not come out like that. With the props out like that there is no load on the motor. My understanding is that a fuel motor needs a load on it. When the load goes away, the RPMs come up which spins the fuel pump faster, which increases the fuel pressure and pumps too much fuel into the motor, and ends up drowning out the spark.

One thing I can tell you, I have been next to them on the rope before and they are crazy when they launch. Kind of always slide over as far away from them as you can.
your answer is dead on and yes I know a fuel boat owner and Scotty. I was on the rope at the world finals and Braksma to off with the rope scary.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
I didn’t know on a full mechanical engine you could randomly kill cylinders and bring them back in. Retard the timing yes. But not on an individual cylinder basis.
Yes this^^^^^^^^^ ProMag44's

motormonkey

Reaction score
Pro mod alcohol cars use traction control and 2 step on the line to build boost with a blower for sub 1.0x 60 foot times. Been done for years and the extra fuel just gets blown out the pipes. Rich is fine, lean is when sit hits the fan.
Tuning for for shifts is where the magic is at. A mag 44 with a grid will light a swimming pool on fire.
As far as top fuel I'm guessing a few similarities and don't know.

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
I am by no means a TFH expert, but water and asphalt are 2 totally different animals.

Once the fuel teams got the twin props figured out, there isn't anything prettier than a full pass from one of them. The learning curve went from submarining them at the hit to blowing over like the pic of Glen Wilson. There is a cool sequence of Plum Krazy wheelieing all the way over at Red Bluff. I think I have heard the prop speeds on them are around 22,000 RPMs.