WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cove or Main Channel

golakers

Reaction score
We are looking at property to retire at. Found the lake, but can’t decide Cove or Main Channel?? Don’t want to make a mistake. Thoughts?

Rayson1971

Reaction score
Id go with cove. Nice to go visit the busy and come back to the quiet. If you have a dock you wouldnt have to deal with boat wakes and a rocking dock all day while youre chillin.

Singleton

Reaction score
Cove.
main channel = waves = dock maintenance

mbrown2

Reaction score
Depends on the lake and the cove.... Do water levels affect cove water level. Are the beaches/water nice in the cove.. Coves tend to be stagnant water and a catch all for foliage.. Main channel can be noisy, rougher and a little work to docks... But if I could live on river or in the keys (parker for example) I would rather be on river.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Main channel. Build a better dock aNd use better windows and doors. Watch the boats fly by without any worries. I still like the early morning wake up with the sound of a fast boat.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Cove all the way. And congrats on what ever you decide.

fmo24

Reaction score
I’ve seen many coves that are not deep water in off season so inaccessible by boat. And as someone stated they can be a catch all for crap floating and vegetation growth

575cat

Reaction score
Main channel very rough a larger cove would be nice the smaller coves collect a lot of run off garbage from heavy rain event or flooding .

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
For LOTO, I would try for a cove with a good main lake view and a short idle out zone. That place gets rough.
I'm at Grand Lake in Oklahoma and it's a similar deal. Huge boats, big waves and busy in season.
Good luck in finding what you want.
Our view this morning.
20201022_081205.jpg

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Can't imagine living with constant wakes and waves.

Tank

Reaction score
LOTO!? Damn, I'm jealous! It would be kind've nice to get best of both worlds and get a cove that isn't back too far where you could still have a view of the main channel and all the cool stuff rollin by but back far enough that the HUGE wakes aren't constantly pounding your dock! Have you done much boating on LOTO? The water gets STUPID rough and confused. Havasu has nothing on rough water compared to LOTO. Wake boats have nothing on the mini yachts pushing 4' wakes all day long that bounce off the shore then bounce back into each other. True washing machine water.

I've been looking at houses there myself. There's some cool stuff, decent price. But like you said, the area is HOT right now. It's become the go-to place. I think you're making a good choice financially to get out there now. The prices are going to keep going up. Have you spent any winter time out there? I'm curious to see how bad it is and how long it is bad.

Tank

Reaction score
For LOTO, I would try for a cove with a good main lake view and a short idle out zone. That place gets rough.
I'm at Grand Lake in Oklahoma and it's a similar deal. Huge boats, big waves and busy in season.
Good luck in finding what you want.
Our view this morning. View attachment 934252
You ever run into Bubba / Robert on Warparty out there. He's on GLOK

Taboma

Reaction score
Since we started watching " Ozark " on Netflix, I've lost all desire to live on a lake in the mid-west and thanks to BLM I'm no longer interested in lakes in the South or South East.
Got enough young chest pounder tough guys along the Colorado strip, at least most are not BLM members and somewhat more literate. 😁 ;)

sirbob

Reaction score
Cove

Big boats = big wakes on main channeling. Also more wind.

Tank

Reaction score
Since we started watching " Ozark " on Netflix, I've lost all desire to live on a lake in the mid-west and thanks to BLM I'm no longer interested in lakes in the South or South East.
Got enough young chest pounder tough guys along the Colorado strip, at least most are not BLM members and somewhat more literate. 😁 ;)
LOL....Although I've heard from locals in the Ozarks that there is definitely parts of the area that are like the show, the vast majority of the lake is nothing like that and from what we've experienced, I'd have to agree. The scenery is gorgeous and the people are fantastic, welcoming, polite, patriotic and laid back. There's also a LOT of BIG money on that lake.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
We are looking at property to retire at. Found the lake, but can’t decide Cove or Main Channel?? Don’t want to make a mistake. Thoughts?

You must love humidity, lol. I would look for a cove with deep water. Good Luck in your search!

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
You ever run into Bubba / Robert on Warparty out there. He's on GLOK
Bubba's around when he's not driving that big toterhome with the Cig CC behind it enjoying themselves. Think that rig's over 90 ft. or so when hooked up. Great dude for sure. 👍
Still some of the old E Dock crew here also

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
LOL....Although I've heard from locals in the Ozarks that there is definitely parts of the area that are like the show, the vast majority of the lake is nothing like that and from what we've experienced, I'd have to agree. The scenery is gorgeous and the people are fantastic, welcoming, polite, patriotic and laid back. There's also a LOT of BIG money on that lake.

Spent time thanks to the Army in Ft Leonard Wood Mo. Met some very warm and wonderful people, both in Mo and later in coastal Virginia. Also met some who weren't, but that can be said of anywhere USA or the world.

Had a several relatives who were boating on LOTO 60 years ago, for the record, it was rough then as well thanks to the Big Money with the big boats. In that respect it hasn't changed, only gotten worse.
In very few cases have the Big Money players improved the average boating experience on Lake Havasu or Colorado River strip either. Although I'm sure many of the local businesses enjoy their dollars.

But yes, the scenery is gorgeous and the weather is rarely boring, you can enjoy the heat one day and awake to snow on the ground the next and there's always a chance of rain in the forecast. 😁

golakers

Reaction score
LOTO!? Damn, I'm jealous! It would be kind've nice to get best of both worlds and get a cove that isn't back too far where you could still have a view of the main channel and all the cool stuff rollin by but back far enough that the HUGE wakes aren't constantly pounding your dock! Have you done much boating on LOTO? The water gets STUPID rough and confused. Havasu has nothing on rough water compared to LOTO. Wake boats have nothing on the mini yachts pushing 4' wakes all day long that bounce off the shore then bounce back into each other. True washing machine water.

I've been looking at houses there myself. There's some cool stuff, decent price. But like you said, the area is HOT right now. It's become the go-to place. I think you're making a good choice financially to get out there now. The prices are going to keep going up. Have you spent any winter time out there? I'm curious to see how bad it is and how long it is bad.
We have family on the Lake. Yes, been on lake a lot and yes, agree the water can get big. Looking in Sunrise Beach and Four Seasons.

golakers

Reaction score
Thanks all for input. We are thinking large cove with a partial Channel view. It will be an investment property for now until we make the move. Might not be a full timer there because of the winters........

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Just met some other folks this past weekend that left Ca for Mo. Not on the lake but close. New neighbors welcoming, offering help and food treats.
I'd aim for a decent sized cove with depth that's not too far from main lake/channel. I enjoy "hearing and seeing" life happening but I don't need to be right in the middle of it.

She's Mine

Reaction score

Went to LOTO for the first time this year and I couldn't agree with you more about the people out there. Definitely a place I will visit many more times if not move there eventually. It is a completely different scene out there regarding the type of boating and scenery. Can't say enough about the people, bars, restaurants and landscape.

golakers

Reaction score
Went to LOTO for the first time this year and I couldn't agree with you more about the people out there. Definitely a place I will visit many more times if not move there eventually. It is a completely different scene out there regarding the type of boating and scenery. Can't say enough about the people, bars, restaurants and landscape.
The midwest/LOTO knows how to do boating. We don’t! At least 20 restaraunts you can pull your boat up to, With a college girl in a bikini hepling you tie your boat up. Can’t wait to go back.

Tank

Reaction score
The midwest/LOTO knows how to do boating. We don’t! At least 20 restaraunts you can pull your boat up to, With a college girl in a bikini hepling you tie your boat up. Can’t wait to go back.
The "dock girls" are definitely a nice touch. Swim up bars at every lakeside restaurant...Another plus. Could you imagine if you plopped down a Lazy Dogs or Tap & Grill or Coconuts in that new marina they're building in Havasu?! Do the tables in the pool and a couple swim up bars in a huge pool. I really thought the swings in the pool were a cool touch at Coconuts. have a DJ and/or a stage and serve decent food. You'd fuckin' KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILL it! I know Topoc66 tried to do this but they missed the mark. Mirror the loto gamebook and you'd have a winner.

Anything like these:

48.png
80.png
81.png
86.png
d.png
WW.png