WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

COVID exploding in Southern California

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
We went to Kaiser hospital today & it was dead, nothing happening, no cars, emergency room nothing, etc.

Also, it hasn't been a big deal with anybody that I know who has had it. I'm still questioning the need to shut the world down because of it, but maybe something will change my mind.

We'll go by Sharp & Grossmont hospitals in the next day or two.

Good on you for actually checking it out. What county are you guys in?

jet496

Reaction score
Zion is not the primary ER for kaiser any more. It’s mainly medical office
Try kaiser central, opened about 5 years ago
Yea, we'll go to that one tomorrow in Kearny Mesa. You would think if they were buried at the other hospital a few miles a way that they would utilize their other active major hospital, which is dead, dead, dead right now & that's where I go for most my procedures. I'll post pics tomorrow but suspect we're all being horn-swogelled.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Zion is not set up inside like it once was
To meet new cal earthquake requirements it made sense to build a new hospital.
Then do the minimum seismic retrofit to zion and turn it into medical offices.
Im curious at palomar. Place is huge

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
I’m still waiting to see the homeless falling over dead by the thousands in SoCal. They must not watch the news to see how dangerous it is. 🤦‍♂️

As well, how is it that masks supposedly only work if both parties wear them, yet we’ve not seen wait-staff falling over dead by the millions. Hmmmm.

hallett21

Reaction score
Huntington is maxed out on vents. Not taking traumas at 7:30 this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jet496

Reaction score
Huntington is maxed out on vents. Not taking traumas at 7:30 this morning.

Does anybody live around there that could stop in to see what the conditions are like? Just curious because I'm trying real hard to find evidence of this pandemic but haven't seen any yet & you would think I would see or hear something, anything after almost a year.

Last edited:

hallett21

Reaction score
Does anybody live around there that could stop in to see what the conditions are like? Just curious because I'm trying real hard to find evidence of this pandemic but haven't seen any yet & you would think I would see or hear something, anything after almost a year.

My wife working there this morning? Lol

To be fair this has been a lot harder on LA hospitals from my understanding. It’s a big deal when Huntington who’s a trauma hospital says they aren’t accepting traumas.

Now the kicker to that is if all of the surrounding hospitals who are trauma centers shut down then they all have to re-open.

This happens throughout the year but it’s kinda of gnarly when it does. Pandemic or not.

hallett21

Reaction score
I’ll be the first to say the media has blown this out of proportion.

But whether it’s Covid, a MCI or the plague an overrun hospital can be scary when you’re expecting to be treated and they say sorry can’t help.

When you zoom out and look at CA or the US in general it’s obviously not as out of control as people make it out to be.

But zoom in on LA, San Diego, Riverside, Bay Area and things change. San Diego and the Bay Area having 100% occupancy doesn’t help LA if they are at 0% or vice versa.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
Well... the Bright side....
Since Covid.... the winter flu has been distinguished...
that same flu that's been around since the dawn of time....

I got that going for me....

Grandpa mac

Now politics is kinda boring ;)
Reaction score
So maybe this stimulus package should of addressed some of the hospitals issues??? 100’s of billion being handed out and nobody thought “hey the hospital’s are overwhelmed maybe we should give them some money to provide care to more people”

Too easy but yet not done, why?
How’s that work? How do you pump out new doctors and nurses overnight?

yz450mm

Reaction score
How’s that work? How do you pump out new doctors and nurses overnight?
Lots of Doctors and Nurses travel a long distance to work at their home base facilities, right? Provide on-site temp lodging, catered meals, paid comp time, and portal to portal pay.

You don't have to spawn new Personnel, you idiot. You just have to compensate the people that already do their job, to continue to do their job to a higher extent.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Grandpa mac

Reaction score
Lots of Doctors and Nurses travel a long distance to work at their home base facilities, right? Provide on-site temp lodging, catered meals, paid comp time, and portal to portal pay.

You don't have to spawn new Personnel, you idiot. You just have to compensate the people that already do their job, to continue to do their job to a higher extent.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Brilliant. Take nurses who already work 12 hour shifts and go home completely exhausted and tell them to go work “to a higher extent”. I’m sure that won’t lead to a bunch of new medical errors and doctors and nurses falling asleep at the wheel and driving into trees on the way home. My wife is exhausted every night she gets home from the hospital. She’s doing her part. How about the Covid deniers start doing their part instead of telling her to do more?

She’s on the infectious disease prevention team for our small hospital. What’s your solution when one of the ten ICU nurses pops positive and she and the four others she spent the shift working with suddenly have to quarantine for seven days and an already short staffed team loses 50% of its personnel without warning? That’s the kinda shit that’s happening every day, and “catering meals” for nurses to save them the five minutes involved in walking to the hospital cafeteria ain’t likely to fix it.

Last edited:

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Brilliant. Take nurses who already work 12 hour shifts and go home completely exhausted and tell them to go work “to a higher extent”. I’m sure that won’t lead to a bunch of new medical errors and doctors and nurses falling asleep at the wheel and driving into trees on the way home. My wife is exhausted every night she gets home from the hospital. She’s doing her part. How about the Covid deniers start doing their part instead of telling her to do more?

She’s on the infectious disease prevention team for our small hospital. What’s your solution when one of the ten ICU nurses pops positive and she and the four others she spent the shift working with suddenly have to quarantine for seven days and an already short staffed team loses 40% of its personnel without warning? That’s the kinda shit that’s happening every day, and “catering meals” for nurses to save them the five minutes involved in walking to the hospital cafeteria ain’t likely to fix it.

Well, now that we have listened to all your Negative to possible solutions to this ever increasing No end in sight Disaster.

WHAT"S YOUR BRILLIANT SOLUTION?

NO ANSWER?

Then Go Away!!!

Grandpa mac

Reaction score
Well, now that we have listened to all your Negative to possible solutions to this ever increasing No end in sight Disaster.

WHAT"S YOUR BRILLIANT SOLUTION?

NO ANSWER?

Then Go Away!!!
Well it sure would help if the guy y’all listen to (to the exclusion of all others) had said “Wear the damn mask. Don’t fly all over the country and gather together for the holidays. Get the vaccine the moment it’s offered to you. Take care of each other.” But he didn’t and so half of you have followed his lead in mocking this “flu”. My solution is that everyone needs to take this shit seriously and do their individual part to prevent its spread so that our hospitals are not overwhelmed in the first place, because once that happens there are no good solutions, just bodies stacked in refrigerated trucks in the parking lot.

hallett21

Reaction score
Chatted with my wife last night here’s the latest in LA and I’m sure I’m leaving a ton out so go easy on me.

1. ER (trauma hospital) and ICU nurses require an advance cardio cert ACLS. Many RNs on hospital floors do not carry this (which blows me away). So right off the bat many of these nurses are unable to even administer the correct care and drugs in the ER or ICU. So basically the ER and ICU are shifting nurses back and forth.

2. ICU nurses in normal circumstances maintain a 1:2 ratio. 1:1 if the patient is extremely critical. Currently it’s gotten so bad that they have had to stretch as bad as 1:4.

Before someone says that’s not what the news tells you. Once someone is admitted to ICU they must be taken care of. So if there is a staffing shortage due to nurses getting sick etc they are forced to take on more patients.

3. Due to ICU being short handed. The ER is not able to send new patients upstairs. So the ER becomes an ICU (for the patients in need) and that forces them to put their nurses on a tighter patient to nurse ratio. Sometimes for 30-48 hours.

4. Some Trauma hospitals are no longer accepting traumas due to the lack of ventilators. They cannot risk a critical patient coming in and needing a vent. Yes a patient can be bagged, however that is typically a field treatment. And since a paramedic is likely already doing that, the patient needs to be transported to a hospital that can handle them.

5. Huntington has shut down their pediatric floors in order to take on more patients.

6. La County has a standing order for paramedics. If they cannot revive a cardiac arrest in the field for a patient 18 years or older. They are not allowed to transport to a hospital.

They are however having issues with family members begging to get 90 year old grandma back by any means necessary in the field. Which can include chest compressions, shocking etc.

I wouldn’t want to play grim reaper but the above patient likely will never leave the hospital again and is just occupying medical staffs time.

7. Skilled nursing homes are trying to send their patients to the ER due to low O2 saturation’s. Many of which can be corrected by administering O2 at their facility.

Some hospitals are having to argue with the facilities over the phone that they need to do their job and treat their patients before dumping them at the hospital.

hallett21

Reaction score
IMG_6893.jpg

IMG_6894.jpg

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Well it sure would help if the guy y’all listen to (to the exclusion of all others) had said “Wear the damn mask. Don’t fly all over the country and gather together for the holidays. Get the vaccine the moment it’s offered to you. Take care of each other.” But he didn’t and so half of you have followed his lead in mocking this “flu”. My solution is that everyone needs to take this shit seriously and do their individual part to prevent its spread so that our hospitals are not overwhelmed in the first place, because once that happens there are no good solutions, just bodies stacked in refrigerated trucks in the parking lot.

Well since your leaders are consistently being caught not practicing what they preach it pretty much discredits their mandates.

hallett21

Reaction score
Forgot one.

She and her friends throughout LA are seeing a huge amount of relapses. Including people living in sober living who had been 30-90 days clean. Some people are getting moved out of sober facilities due to social distancing protocols.

Now I realize most addicts relapse anyways but I have to imagine there will be significant life loss due to this.

Also everyone’s seeing suicides.

Grandpa mac

Reaction score
Well since your leaders are consistently being caught not practicing what they preach it pretty much discredits their mandates.
Well I certainly agree with you that their hypocrisy is disgusting and hope that they lose future primaries because of it.

Grandpa mac

Reaction score
Chatted with my wife last night here’s the latest in LA and I’m sure I’m leaving a ton out so go easy on me.

1. ER (trauma hospital) and ICU nurses require an advance cardio cert ACLS. Many RNs on hospital floors do not carry this (which blows me away). So right off the bat many of these nurses are unable to even administer the correct care and drugs in the ER or ICU. So basically the ER and ICU are shifting nurses back and forth.

2. ICU nurses in normal circumstances maintain a 1:2 ratio. 1:1 if the patient is extremely critical. Currently it’s gotten so bad that they have had to stretch as bad as 1:4.

Before someone says that’s not what the news tells you. Once someone is admitted to ICU they must be taken care of. So if there is a staffing shortage due to nurses getting sick etc they are forced to take on more patients.

3. Due to ICU being short handed. The ER is not able to send new patients upstairs. So the ER becomes an ICU (for the patients in need) and that forces them to put their nurses on a tighter patient to nurse ratio. Sometimes for 30-48 hours.

4. Some Trauma hospitals are no longer accepting traumas due to the lack of ventilators. They cannot risk a critical patient coming in and needing a vent. Yes a patient can be bagged, however that is typically a field treatment. And since a paramedic is likely already doing that, the patient needs to be transported to a hospital that can handle them.

5. Huntington has shut down their pediatric floors in order to take on more patients.

6. La County has a standing order for paramedics. If they cannot revive a cardiac arrest in the field for a patient 18 years or older. They are not allowed to transport to a hospital.

They are however having issues with family members begging to get 90 year old grandma back by any means necessary in the field. Which can include chest compressions, shocking etc.

I wouldn’t want to play grim reaper but the above patient likely will never leave the hospital again and is just occupying medical staffs time.

7. Skilled nursing homes are trying to send their patients to the ER due to low O2 saturation’s. Many of which can be corrected by administering O2 at their facility.

Some hospitals are having to argue with the facilities over the phone that they need to do their job and treat their patients before dumping them at the hospital.

Those nursing homes are probably freaking out because they lack negative pressure rooms and other isolation. My mother’s nursing home had a Covid outbreak with about 50 patients and 20 staff infected. If I were a nursing home administrator I would do everything I could to export my sick to hospitals which are set up to isolate patients rather than have it rip through my entire population. And that of course is the last thing the ICU wants. When it gets to this point, there are no good answers just a range of bad ones.

Good luck to you and your family. I hope at least your wife has been offered the vaccine and your fear on that front is reduced.

propcheck

Reaction score
Maybe, just maybe, if someone calls the doctor and says "I have lost taste and smell, and I have a fever" then if the doctors decided to prescribe some real fucking medicine, like right then, then people would not need to get deadly ill before they get to the hospital. They probably would not be seeing people at the hospital, period.

But we are playing these stupid fucking games where we are not treating people until they are dying. Then, since people are already dying. It takes longer to fix them, or they die, either way a major strain on the system. Of my friends who got it, only 2 managed to get medicine without delay. We are the two who shrugged it off..

Its beyond fucking stupid how we are dealing with this. Its more like we are trying to kill people to prove a political point.
Thank you. This has been a position I have had from the start. When will we hold the Doctors responsible for negligence Or better yet hospital administrator?
Ask yourself this if no treatment protocol exist how come all the politicians and people in power go to the hospital and receive oxygen, a corticosteroid, and an antiviral? All could be done early on and prevent hospitalization. None of the modalities require a hospital to administer. Malpractice attorneys could be very useful about now.

Grandpa mac

Reaction score
Thank you. This has been a position I have had from the start. When will we hold the Doctors responsible for negligence Or better yet hospital administrator?
Ask yourself this if no treatment protocol exist how come all the politicians and people in power go to the hospital and receive oxygen, a corticosteroid, and an antiviral? All could be done early on and prevent hospitalization. None of the modalities require a hospital to administer. Malpractice attorneys could be very useful about now.
What medicine would you prescribe outside a hospital setting? The experimental drugs Trump benefitted from are not available to Schmos like us.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
If they wanted to cut the death toll exponentially they would’ve administered the vaccine to those 65 and older first. When 8 out 10 deaths are this age demographic we have to be asking ourselves why aren’t these people getting the vaccine before healthcare workers?

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
If they wanted to cut the death toll exponentially they would’ve administered the vaccine to those 65 and older first. When 8 out 10 deaths are this age demographic we have to be asking ourselves why aren’t these people getting the vaccine before healthcare workers?

Sleepy Joe & The "HO" are much more Important, eventhough they Stated that would have nothing to do with ANY Vaccine that President Trump was involved with.:rolleyes:

RodnJen

Reaction score

Same reason you put the drop down oxygen mask on yourself first before helping others.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
So the HC workers don’t spread it to those 65 and older.

The elderly are the people taking up bed spaces. You give them the vaccine, if it works, and then there is no HC worker contact. How about we reduce the number being admitted?

If we’re trying to save lives and save bed spaces the elderly is the first we should be treating. Over night the number of deaths drop and hospital admittance plummets.

All I’m saying is that if it was about saving lives these are the people who should be getting it first. At the very least after the HC workers then the elderly but that’s not what Newsom thinks. The grocery workers will be next. It’s insane.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
So the HC workers don’t spread it to those 65 and older.

Who cares about the HC workers when those 65 and older are sent home to infect and kill others 65 and older..

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score

More silly drivel. No science to show that masks work. Plenty of people getting Covid despite being hardcore mask wearers. Lockdown measures in CA currently working great. Oh, wait. They aren't working at all. Other places that have little to no restrictions show the same or even better numbers. Sooner or later you mindless idiots are going to have to realize that these mandates do not help and the virus will make its way through society no matter what.

I'm on my way back from St Maarten and I've hardly worn a stupid mask the entire time. I have been one of those heathens who got together with family over the holidays, traveled, and enjoyed the basic freedoms that come with not only being an American, but also a human being. And guess what? I feel fine.

You and your sick tribe of control freaks can try to control my behavior as much as you like and you'll be met with a resounding Fuck You. Every time. Keep it up and you'll get even more than that.

Time for my last flight of the trip, and I'll tell you what. As I'm holding my drink and sip slowly on it so as to not have to wear the face diaper you worship, I'll take some nice unobstructed breaths and raise my glass to you.

Performance Grips

Reaction score
40% of Healthcare workers nationwide don't want to take the vaccine. The health experts are saying the vaccine may not and probably doesn't stop the spread of the virus. People in senior assisted living facilities die at an unbelievably high rate comparatively. Why not give it to seniors? They've already said why they changed they're policy. Its because this group is too white? Not diverse enough. 60% of African Americans are reluctant or flat out wont take the vaccine. This is a complete shit show. Now somehow they are going to blame Trump but once again the state and local governments are the failure here by playing politics or just being completely incompetent.

Grandpa mac

Reaction score
Because when one healthcare worker gets it, everyone who was around them is quarantined too and suddenly you have nobody to staff the hospital.

Grandpa mac

Reaction score
40% of Healthcare workers nationwide don't want to take the vaccine. The health experts are saying the vaccine may not and probably doesn't stop the spread of the virus. People in senior assisted living facilities die at an unbelievably high rate comparatively. Why not give it to seniors? They've already said why they changed they're policy. Its because this group is too white? Not diverse enough. 60% of African Americans are reluctant or flat out wont take the vaccine. This is a complete shit show. Now somehow they are going to blame Trump but once again the state and local governments are the failure here by playing politics or just being completely incompetent.
I got mine the first day it was offered, as did my wife. A week from now I'll get shot 2. But yeah, an incomprehensably high number of health care providers locally have not yet taken advantage of the opportunity to be vaccinated. I 'd guess most of those are conservatives, but probably some who think the FDA cut corners to appease Trump. Happy to be a guinea pig for anybody who wants to wait at the back of the line.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I got mine the first day it was offered, as did my wife. A week from now I'll get shot 2. But yeah, an incomprehensably high number of health care providers locally have not yet taken advantage of the opportunity to be vaccinated. If guess most of those are conservatives, but probably some who think the FDA cut corners to appease Trump. Happy to be a guinea pig for anybody who wants to wait at the back of the line.

My brother in law opted not to get the vaccine. Born and raised in San Fran. He is no conservative by a long shot lol

Backlash

Reaction score
Must be a code enforcement officer then. Got it. Thanks for clarifying. 🤣

Performance Grips

Reaction score
I got mine the first day it was offered, as did my wife. A week from now I'll get shot 2. But yeah, an incomprehensably high number of health care providers locally have not yet taken advantage of the opportunity to be vaccinated. I 'd guess most of those are conservatives, but probably some who think the FDA cut corners to appease Trump. Happy to be a guinea pig for anybody who wants to wait at the back of the line.
How about the 60% of African Americans? And a big percentage of Hispanics? Are they all conservative? Do we wait to give the vaccine to NON WHITE till all the black and Hispanic and healthcare workers that dont want it have been forced to take it. This is again not following the science that everyone keeps throwing in everyone's faces. And I'm happy for you to be the guinea pig as well.