WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

cowboy boots?

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
So, I dusted off my old cowboy boots and they aint ever gonna fit again. bought 'em 10 years or so ago. i'm at least a half size larger now ( go figure) and in the market for a decent pair. Not looking for crazy or junk. Somewhere in between. I really only wear them out to special occasions. they're not going to be daily drivers by a long shot. so i looked at bootbarn on line and then decided to drive down there. Found limited selection and what i did try on it seems sizes vary a lot between brands and styles. seems like a good place if you're looking for cheap and or daily drivers like for work or something. I picked out some jeans and left bootless since nothing really struck me as something i'd be happy with years from now. Where y'all buy yours at? Are Tecovas any good? they look like i remember boots looking. what's yer 2 cents? thanks

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I live in TX...just to state that.

I wear cowboy boots and slippers...rarely anything else. Slippers are Olukai..I don't like junk

That said... Mid range boots... Dan Post, Justin, or Cavenders house brand. I have some different Lucchese boots that are my "dinner/Concert/event" boots...but that's probably going to be over what you want to spend (700-1500 avg). I'd strongly look at the Cavenders boots (https://www.cavenders.com), as well as Dan Post over just about anything. Ostrich is soft, and better for something not worn daily. Caiman boots are stiff but look great, snakeskin is too much work... You can also find good "print" leather boots to mimic the more expensive hides. Other than my daily work boots I only buy leather sole boots...its a preference thing..and not everyone agrees on it. Ariat is absolute dogshit..skip them. If you look in the 3-500 range you will find something that will last.

I buy most of mine either at Cavenders (they are everywhere in TX, and have a large selection), or from Lucchese direct. I've got a pair similar to this that I wear a couple times a week...for the price you get a quality brand and solid look... https://www.lucchese.com/shop/boots/rowdy-ostrich/M4553.WF

DLC

Reaction score
I like Tony Lama Boots & Justin Boots go to a different Boot Barn. The selection at some stores is really bad, some stores go way out of their way to be to Hill Billy country boy…

The best store I found was in Paso Robles, Ca. When I visit my brother I stop in.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Which boot barn did you go to? I can tell you one that is closer and has perhaps a better selection. Also you can order online too.

Reactions: DLC

C-2

Reaction score
I begrudgingly went into Boot Barn in Norco about 10-years ago and was pleasantly surprised; they had a lot of boots!

I bought a great pair of square toe/flat heel Ariats that fall somewhere between a roper and regular boot. They've held up great. During the winter I trudge thru mud and horse crap in them, dig ditches, wear them riding, you name it, and they've taken the abuse. My pair before that were Twisted-X brand, bought at a small shop in Norco.

I also have a dress pair of Ariat's with the traditional heel - but I hate the clickety-clack of the heel, sounds a bit fem. I'll stick to my Doc Marten's.

I've kept horses and most every other farm animal there is my entire adult life - but I'm still working on getting a belt/buckle and cowboy hat, lol.

I think you got the right idea - boots need to be purchased by a visit to the store.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I bought my first pair of cowboy boots about 8 or 9 years ago. Just some basic Ariat Ropers. They hardly look like I've worn them still. I've had to replace the insole a couple times, but thats about it.

I just bought a pair of Cody James composite toe work boots that I REALLY like. They do have a rubber sole but not an overly aggressive looking ine so the boot still looks good to wear out really.

Boots most definitely have to be bought in person as each model of boots vary so much in sizing. I think my Ropers are a 10.5 but are getting tight, and my Cody James are a 11.5 and fit perfectly (regular shoes I wear a 12).

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I wear Ariats everyday. Used to wear Justin Ropers but found the Ariats fit me feet better.

DLC

Reaction score
I’ve been to
O side, Esco and kearny Mesa

I get e mails. But they don’t stock what they email half the time

The Escondido store doesn’t even have Levi’s 501’s, they have a butt load of goat roper Wrangler jeans, only person I know that wears Wrangler jeans is George Straight…..

They are changing up the work wear also….

Norco store would be a good store to go to….

QUOTE="Bpracing1127, post: 4149768, member: 12227"]
Which boot barn did you go to? I can tell you one that is closer and has perhaps a better selection. Also you can order online too.
[/QUOTE]

copterzach

Reaction score
Lucchese. Buy them once. Best off the shelf fit by far. I have a couple pair of Anderson Bean for every day wear.

If you want real fit and super nice go with Littles Boot company or get a pair of ML Leddys. Handmade and bad ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Double H

I'm not a cowboy boot guy but have a couple friends that are and they like double H boots.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I wear a pair of ariat almost every day. Pretty comfortable and not too bad on price.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Ariats for a daily boot. I like ropers. I spend around 240 on a pair and they last a little over a year. 6 days a week I’m working 10 hour days and Sunday I wear the same pair in the back to muck stalls and coops. I wear an arait hat as well

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I could never find the ones I liked in the store, so just ordered from Justin direct, after talking to the rep, fit was perfect.

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
Good info so far thank you all.
I went to the Los Alamitos Store. nothing that i saw online that looked good was there and what was didnt look like what i wanted in person.

The Norco store may have been where i bought my last pair of boots a decade or so ago. Maybe a trip out that way when there's no traffic is warranted. I'm in Garden Grove and with traffic....

I used to go to the Boot B stores to by Justin ropers (lace up version) when i was doing Rail Road / construction. a pair of those were cheap, would last maybe three months but fit well and had a nice wide heel for stomping around on ballast every day.

i am phasing Levi's out of the program. Their quality has gone to shit. I really wanted to keep wearing them since i have my whole life. been getting the wranglers with the thicker material with a regular guy/ work cut. not the fancy go out dancing cut. They fit me better than Levis do to. got room where i need it. Model 13 wsr or something like that

Checking out the "lewis", Bart and Carson from Lucchese, those look like what im after 👍

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Work:
Ariat

Casual:
Luchese ostrich
Vintage (45 years old, mint condition) Panhandle Slims ostrich belly

I love ostrich for the durability matched with the feel of soft leather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
about 30 years ago I had a pair of Stuarts boots. Hand made from the softest elk hide I have ever seen. Stuarts were somewhere around Phoenix. Damn they were comfy

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Good info so far thank you all.
I went to the Los Alamitos Store. nothing that i saw online that looked good was there and what was didnt look like what i wanted in person.

The Norco store may have been where i bought my last pair of boots a decade or so ago. Maybe a trip out that way when there's no traffic is warranted. I'm in Garden Grove and with traffic....

I used to go to the Boot B stores to by Justin ropers (lace up version) when i was doing Rail Road / construction. a pair of those were cheap, would last maybe three months but fit well and had a nice wide heel for stomping around on ballast every day.

i am phasing Levi's out of the program. Their quality has gone to shit. I really wanted to keep wearing them since i have my whole life. been getting the wranglers with the thicker material with a regular guy/ work cut. not the fancy go out dancing cut. They fit me better than Levis do to. got room where i need it. Model 13 wsr or something like that

Checking out the "lewis", Bart and Carson from Lucchese, those look like what im after 👍
Try the new store in orange/Tustin off Katella, just past it’s right around the Home Depot and train tracks or so

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I begrudgingly went into Boot Barn in Norco about 10-years ago and was pleasantly surprised; they had a lot of boots!

I bought a great pair of square toe/flat heel Ariats that fall somewhere between a roper and regular boot. They've held up great. During the winter I trudge thru mud and horse crap in them, dig ditches, wear them riding, you name it, and they've taken the abuse. My pair before that were Twisted-X brand, bought at a small shop in Norco.

I also have a dress pair of Ariat's with the traditional heel - but I hate the clickety-clack of the heel, sounds a bit fem. I'll stick to my Doc Marten's.

I've kept horses and most every other farm animal there is my entire adult life - but I'm still working on getting a belt/buckle and cowboy hat, lol.

I think you got the right idea - boots need to be purchased by a visit to the store.
Norco has a great selection of denim also. Not a lot of places carry 34X36. The one off Tyler, as small as it looks, is a close second when it comes to having decent inventory.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I’ve been to
O side, Esco and kearny Mesa

I get e mails. But they don’t stock what they email half the time

The Escondido store doesn’t even have Levi’s 501’s, they have a butt load of goat roper Wrangler jeans, only person I know that wears Wrangler jeans is George Straight…..

They are changing up the work wear also….

Norco store would be a good store to go to….

QUOTE="Bpracing1127, post: 4149768, member: 12227"]

Every single guy I know wears Wranglers. I'm not gonna spend 2 to 3x the money for jeans that truly are not made any better.

Reactions: DLC

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I think its all about trying them on and finding the ones that fit best, regardless of what anyone says is the "best"....it took me a while to find something I like and that fits well...I was in Austin Tx and went to every boot store on 6th street and didn't find anything I liked or fit well...I personally ended up with some Dan Post boots, that I found at Boot Barn in Las Vegas, mostly because they weren't too fancy and they fit me really good...I don't wear them too often, but the days I do wear them, I could wear them for hours while standing and walking all day with no discomfort.

SPYLIFE

Reaction score
I have the overpriced boots by Lucchese, Black Jack, and Anderson Bean - Also have the boots that only cost a couple hundred bucks. Horse Power is Anderson Bean's more cost effect brand. I also have some boots by Tin Haul. I take good care of them all, and can really tell no difference in the expensive pair's vs. the cheaper pair's. I think some get a charge out of telling people they have $900+ boots, but if you just want the look or feel of a boot, the one's that cost a couple hundred work just fine. HP and Tin Haul have some nice patterns too.

Tpltrbl303

Reaction score
Ariats seem to fit my wonky feet. I buy a new work pair every year, last years become new riding boots. I have a dress pair in case my wife makes me dress up. All Ariats. I have owned just about everything else at some time.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Every single guy I know wears Wranglers. I'm not gonna spend 2 to 3x the money for jeans that truly are not made any better.
Imo Levi’s are made better. I literally wear my jeans out. In the pictures you can see where my keys rub. That’s happens when I’m carrying bales of hay. That’s where they rub from the hay being against my thighs. The pocket is falling apart from the pocket knife it’s always holding there. I’ve had these Levi’s around 2 years. I can’t get a year out of the wranglers I’ve tried. Don’t know what the difference is that’s just my experience. Wranglers feel a little thinner I guess. As far as price. I only buy my Levi’s at the outlet I. Las Vegas. Usually 3 pairs for 90 bucks.
image.jpg

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Imo Levi’s are made better. I literally wear my jeans out. In the pictures you can see where my keys rub. That’s happens when I’m carrying bales of hay. That’s where they rub from the hay being against my thighs. The pocket is falling apart from the pocket knife it’s always holding there. I’ve had these Levi’s around 2 years. I can’t get a year out of the wranglers I’ve tried. Don’t know what the difference is that’s just my experience. Wranglers feel a little thinner I guess. As far as price. I only buy my Levi’s at the outlet I. Las Vegas. Usually 3 pairs for 90 bucks. View attachment 1017009

Waiting for the "F*ck Levi's, I thru all mine in the trash, never giving those commies my money again" posts....LOL

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Imo Levi’s are made better. I literally wear my jeans out. In the pictures you can see where my keys rub. That’s happens when I’m carrying bales of hay. That’s where they rub from the hay being against my thighs. The pocket is falling apart from the pocket knife it’s always holding there. I’ve had these Levi’s around 2 years. I can’t get a year out of the wranglers I’ve tried. Don’t know what the difference is that’s just my experience. Wranglers feel a little thinner I guess. As far as price. I only buy my Levi’s at the outlet I. Las Vegas. Usually 3 pairs for 90 bucks. View attachment 1017009
Levi's used to be made better. And they were cheap cost. Now expensive and I can wear them out in 2 months.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Waiting for the "F*ck Levi's, I thru all mine in the trash, never giving those commies my money again" posts....LOL

Fuck Levi’s, I don’t have any to put in the trash and I’m never giving those anti-constitutional commies my money again.

Lee and Wrangler for me.
Cheap and durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hallett21

Reaction score
I only own Levi’s 🤷🏼‍♂️

petie6464

Reaction score

You got that cool circle in the back pocket from the chew can too??

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Dont fucking lie vic....you know you bought them pre-distressed like that lol

1624374088936.png

J5Daytona

Reaction score
Im originally from Texas and have worn boots my entire life . Each boot makers last will fit differently so best to try on multiple brands . I will say if the twisted last on a Lucchese fits your foot correctly , You will be hard pressed to ever find a more comfortable boot . That being said they dont work for everyone but when they do they are hands down the best . Their construction includes multiple small things that make them very unique like lemon wood pegs instead of metal brads and recessed sole stitching . I am a fan of of Dan post as well but they always seem to be a more sloppy fit on me .

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Not a fan of Ariat here at all. I like Double H and I recently bought a pair of Dan Post that I love. For cost effective brands, those are solid contenders.

As to Levi vs Wrangler - When comparing durability, you need to stay out of the Walmart wranglers. Those are build specially for them and their price point. Get a real set of their traditional blue. They are stiff and rough when you buy them but they soften with a few washes and age well.

Yup, Levi and Nike are in the same boat in my household.

DLC

Reaction score
maybe if they wore Levi’s they would get a girlfriend friend and then they wouldn’t be single any more…..
what jeans do the married guys wear?

lol
oh shit that’s funny!

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I wear Tony Lama's during the winter months. I absolutely love them. My dad was from Texas and Tony Lama boots seemed to be a norm when I was growing up.

branier

Reaction score
I have several pairs of Lane boots. While they cater more towards women's styles, they do carry a few men's boots as well. Every pair of Lane's that I own are comfy, and really well made. But they are definitely more of a modern style cowboy boot, and made for going out not everyday work wear. For the barn and riding I wear Ariats, just because they are inexpensive and fit my foot, and I have to replace them often because they get beat up.

PDQH2O

Reaction score
Had Tony Lama years ago and loved them. Currently wear Nocona, Lucchese exotics and Justin ropers for working. I believe that Justin (also decent) is the parent company of Tony Lama, Nocona and Justin.

Each brand fits differently so you really need to try them on. A couple really good ways to buy them is to visit BB (parent company of Sheplers), Cavenders, etc., and find the ones you like and that fit properly. Then, go online and shop price. Each of the big stores will likely price match. Got both of my Lucchese's Ostrich and Gators for around $400. By far, my favorite boots based o

The best place to buy boots that I've found, if you can wait, is during or toward the end of Cowboy Christmas at NFR in early December. It was in Dallas this past year, but has been in Vegas several years prior. All the major brands more selection and like most shows, they don't want to take anything home with them.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
maybe if they wore Levi’s they would get a girlfriend friend and then they wouldn’t be single any more…..
what jeans do the married guys wear?

lol
oh shit that’s funny!
The only people I know that wear Levi's are the old farts that still swear by button flys or the ones that want to sponsor BLM and LGBTRISNSFLDKBDBFK movements. Soo....... yeah... not sure which one is gayer now....

Ladsm

Reaction score
Boot Barn in Norco has a big stock.. I wear Tony Lamas everyday for work because I am on a plane 2-3 times a week so they are easy to slide on/off for security check and have the Comp toes for the job sites. I have high arches so none of the Ariats fit right. You have to try them on.

Hope to see you and Linda later this summer at Pirates

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
Boot Barn in Norco has a big stock.. I wear Tony Lamas everyday for work because I am on a plane 2-3 times a week so they are easy to slide on/off for security check and have the Comp toes for the job sites. I have high arches so none of the Ariats fit right. You have to try them on.

Hope to see you and Linda later this summer at Pirates
we'll see you there. 👍 I'll be sportin' my new boots. which one's go best with surf trunks?

renodaytona

Reaction score
Picked up a pair of Double H's a few years ago and they are the best fitting boots I've owned.

Nord

HONKY
Reaction score
Interesting replies here. A mix and match of mixing brand names of stores as boots and clothing lines as ostrich boots lol. As much as I loved that industry, I don’t miss it lol. There are a lot of questions that need to be asked.
The main and most important - what are you using the boots for?

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
Interesting replies here. A mix and match of mixing brand names of stores as boots and clothing lines as ostrich boots lol. As much as I loved that industry, I don’t miss it lol. There are a lot of questions that need to be asked.
The main and most important - what are you using the boots for?
just want to look nice once in a blue moon. nothing to flashy but not crap either. want's your opinion of tecova boots? i'm liking the Lucchese but the shorter heel models seem to be from maybe a little spendy to way too fucking much for me. i think i need to try on the boots before forking the money over. would love to hear your thoughts since you were in the biz...

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
well, i ended up going to the orange BB store and buying a pair of $400 Dan Post ostrich boots. I did save couple bucks for opening an account and today a got a 60$ off next purchase coupon. They were the nicest that fit well. I wanted Lucchese but they didnt have any of the cool ones in my size. Tried on the two different Double H boots they had in my size there and damn those feel nice. They're not dressy by any means but i ordered an american made pair online just because. Thinking i may throw a pair of HH in the trailer for camping with that coupon i got. waiting for the first pair to show up first.