WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Craftsman vs Husky ToolBox

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I have a couple of these 46 inch boxes, and for the price they are really good for light to medium use, or for garage organization/mobile work bench I have one under my 8 foot woorkbench at home.
I use another for tool storage and a small work bench at the vacation house.

They go on sale a few times per year down to $199, but it is worth it at the $250 they are today.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-46...gclid=CO-Jwu2299MCFZC1wAodmH8Ojw&gclsrc=aw.ds

View attachment 561775

I picked one up last time they were $199...great value for sure.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I was designing some adjustable height feet for these boxes to bolt on to the bottom instead of the wheels. I was going to get another one for my garage.. but never ended up getting it.

These are great to go UNDER a workbench with or without the wheels, depending on what working height you like.

My engineer friend built this bench out of 2 HF roller boxes and some butcher block from Lumber Liquidators. He removed the wheels and built leveling feet for it. It is super solid. I think he has about $600 into it. He could have cut that down a couple hundred by using a solid core door for the top instead of the butcher block.

View attachment 561889

Good looking setup.:thumbsup

I'm a woodworker and build lots of furniture, benches, etc. I rip or plane the rounded edges off 2 x 4's and glue them together, edge to edge, or flat side to flat side. It depends on the project and how thick/heavy I want the top to be.

Top to bottom offers a sturdy 3" thick top that holds heavier vises and takes heavy actions. Good for woodworker benches. To protect the top over time, I'll often glue/attach a sheet of masonite, plastic, or other removable sheet product with a 1x4 removable edging to the table top.

More work than buying countertop or doors, but cheap and stronger. Looks good with a finish for furniture or lighter duty work benches.

Jmp

Reaction score
I got the harbor freight 72" box and love it. It's quite a bit more expensive, I think it cost $1100 when I got it with a coupon at that time, I could tell the difference immediately between the craftsman, husky and the hf. for me the top doubles as a work space and has more space in the drawers then I will ever fill up with tools. They make a nice 56" one as well. The harbor freight box is made out of thicker gauge steel and has suspension casters on the bigger models

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Good to know and thanks

I got the harbor freight 72" box and love it. It's quite a bit more expensive, I think it cost $1100 when I got it with a coupon at that time, I could tell the difference immediately between the craftsman, husky and the hf. for me the top doubles as a work space and has more space in the drawers then I will ever fill up with tools. They make a nice 56" one as well. The harbor freight box is made out of thicker gauge steel and has suspension casters on the bigger models

jones performance

Reaction score
i bought one of these a while back to use for a project at work.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200580585_200580585

i mounted it on a cart that i tow around behind my golf cart at work.

phone31716 371.jpg

im thinking ill use it and pick up a couple more to do something like largeoutfront posted in my new place in havasu.

heres something my brother put together using some surplus bank teller drawers he got. ive got a couple myself and am planning on doing the same thing. he welded up a frame for them to sit on, then welded them together on the frame. painted the cabs and had the drawers powdercoated. phone31716 969.jpg

Icky

Reaction score
I have to talk myself out of buying that thing every time I'm at Home Depot, which is at least once a day. I'm tired of having two or three separate boxes, I want that thing badly...

I bought this last night, went to buy the craftsmen one like it and they were out of stock, and I'm into instant gratification.
This one feels solid, soft closing drawers and liners included. I may put my viper top box on it if I run out of room, but at least I will have everything in one place finally. I won't use it as a work bench as I already have steel one.

Not even halfway done putting the sockets away, I think I may have a few duplicates​:D
IMG_20170613_102648746.jpg IMG_20170613_102630673.jpg

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Very nice. I still have not bought a new box.

I bought this last night, went to buy the craftsmen one like it and they were out of stock, and I'm into instant gratification.
This one feels solid, soft closing drawers and liners included. I may put my viper top box on it if I run out of room, but at least I will have everything in one place finally. I won't use it as a work bench as I already have steel one.

Not even halfway done putting the sockets away, I think I may have a few duplicates​:D
View attachment 567343 View attachment 567344

Icky

Reaction score
Very nice. I still have not bought a new box.

Go check it out, most home Depots don't normally carry them in stock, but they had one left by my house for the Father's day sale. I'm gonna say my dog bought it for me as a Father's day gift:D

Forewarning, it took 4 of us to load it in my truck last night, 400lbs. I took all the drawers and everything out of it while it was in the bed of my truck and unloaded it myself. I used the packing it came with to let one side down on the ground and flipped it over on it's lid to put the wheels on.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Might head to Lowes, Home Depot, Sears and Harbor Freight this weekend to check them out and see if there are any Father's Day deals.

Kind of like this one at HomeDepot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-52...l-Cabinet-Set-Black-HTC5206-HMT5212/205431577

Go check it out, most home Depots don't normally carry them in stock, but they had one left by my house for the Father's day sale. I'm gonna say my dog bought it for me as a Father's day gift:D

Forewarning, it took 4 of us to load it in my truck last night, 400lbs. I took all the drawers and everything out of it while it was in the bed of my truck and unloaded it myself. I used the packing it came with to let one side down on the ground and flipped it over on it's lid to put the wheels on.

Icky

Reaction score

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I too like the matte black one but think that one is way too big for what I need. Heck, the one I posted might be too big but is more affordable that the matte black one.

I like that one too, but I have cabinets​ in my garage so I'm mainly using it for hand tools, that one would be to big for me. I like the flat black one they make too

I was looking at that one as well. Think the one from HomeDepot is a better deal at the moment.

I bought this one a couple months ago, soft close drawers, power strip with USB ports in the top storage area. I got a discount on it and paid just over $600 with tax. It is a massive tool box, I was finally able to get all of my tools into one area.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-52in...SellerId=Sears&prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5

Icky

Reaction score
I bought this one a couple months ago, soft close drawers, power strip with USB ports in the top storage area. I got a discount on it and paid just over $600 with tax. It is a massive tool box, I was finally able to get all of my tools into one area.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-52in...SellerId=Sears&prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5

The bottom box on that is what I set out to buy last night, they only had it in stock in red, figured if I was gonna do red might as well get the Milwaukee one.

ShockwaveBobSquarePants

Reaction score

rrrr

Reaction score
I have three Lista five drawer cabinets with stainless work tops in my garage. They were about $1,200 each, cheaper than Snap-On and hella stout. I think they are constructed with 16 ga steel.

2017-06-13_07-35-20.jpg

getch

Reaction score
I got the Milwaukee one a few month ago and have no complaints. Have been spending a good amount of time looking for ways to organize it for the long run.

My favorite drawer so far.

IMG_3478.jpg

Icky

Reaction score
I got the Milwaukee one a few month ago and have no complaints. Have been spending a good amount of time looking for ways to organize it for the long run.

My favorite drawer so far.

View attachment 567465

Looks good
I did that to my knack box years ago...... very time consuming, but looks great

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score

28skater

Reaction score
You can usually find used Snap-on boxes and tools for 25 cents on the dollar on E-Bay or Craigslist the HF or Craftsman boxes are not even close in quality IMO.

SKATER R+R 004.jpg

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score

jones performance

Reaction score
good god.. i have spent the last 2 hours surfing garage journal, and pinterest for tool storage ideas. theres some truely badass setups out there that really arent expensive to do.