WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Crazy new truck prices

Yellowboat

Reaction score
So after recently getting a large check i went to the ford dealer to look at either a f150 or f250.

I speced both xlt, 4wd. Long bed gas v8s, tow package and a few other odds and ends. The diffrence in sticker was onky $1200, which is not that shocking as i speced them middle of the road.

The f150 was 48k. No way in hell am i going to pay for that.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
So after recently getting a large check i went to the ford dealer to look at either a f150 or f250.

I speced both xlt, 4wd. Long bed gas v8s, tow package and a few other odds and ends. The diffrence in sticker was onky $1200, which is not that shocking as i speced them middle of the road.

The f150 was 48k. No way in hell am i going to pay for that.
Yep. Pretty crazy pricing for this old guy.
I’m going to drive my 15 year old Cummins powered Ram into the ground.
Then.
Yank the engine and drop it in another old truck and run it down too.
By then I’ll be old enough they won’t let me drive anymore:D

TCHB

Reaction score
Yes it seems nuts. I read somewhere most of the new car sales are leased which is why the purchase price is so high. The higher the price the more the lease.

PlanB

Reaction score
Went to the auto show in San Diego last month, and it seemed like there were actually some better deals than a few years ago. Still expensive, but the loaded 2500 Ram and the 3500 Denali dually did not seem bad for what the package included.

77charger

Reaction score
Yes they are crazy as most are also loaded with nice options for daily drivers too.Ill stick to my old 2004 2500hd gasser for now i only drive it about 7-10k miles a year.

zhandfull

Reaction score
Yep, I think I'm done with buying any new vehicles. I will be buying clean used vehicles for the foreseeable future.

The prices don't sound so shocking anymore but running the numbers for payment amount and the length of payments terms bring me right back to reality.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
that’s the wrong ford dealer.

if your looking for a ford, do yourself a favor and contact Bobby Williams at sunrise ford in Fontana. It’s simple as 1-2-3

Maybe he can do something, but Sunrise has the highest markup I've seen on a Raptor. 15K on a 2019. They are 5-6K under MSRP in Seattle.

BajaMike

Reaction score
I drive a 07 2500 HD Chevrolet 4 x 4, 105K miles. At 63 years young I’ll drive it until the wheels fall off. Pricing on the new ones are hard to justify for any make.

i agree. My 2001 2500 HD crew 6.0 has 180,000 miles, has been flawless. 80,000 miles since a brake job. My Mercedes E 350 needs brakes every 10,000 miles, and that ain’t cheep.

Of course the little lady drives that most of the time, and she doesn’t take her foot off the gas till she’s 100 feet from the stop light, and then jams the brakes. I’ve tried to “splain” it to her.....you know how that goes.

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
i agree. My 2001 2500 HD crew 6.0 has 180,000 miles, has been flawless. 80,000 miles since a brake job. My Mercedes E 350 needs brakes every 10,000 miles, and that ain’t cheep.

Of course the little lady drives that most of the time, and she doesn’t take her foot off the gas till she’s 100 feet from the stop light, and then jams the brakes. I’ve tried to “splain” it to her.....you know how that goes.

I sure know what you’re talking about , my wife is a toe tapping breaker and drives me nuts.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how a Ford dealer can have 60 raptors on their lot, 35 of them 2019's and they still want a 10k dealer markup?
Lol I just drove a raptor today to cross shop against a tremor. I chuckled when they had like 7 raptors on the lot and wanted $10k over sticker. If I go Raptor I won’t be shopping in OC.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
My f150 stickered at 51k, I got it for 40, 44 otd.

This. Same with me. No one is paying sticker for a truck.

For a $40k vehicle, I’m pretty happy with it.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yes it seems nuts. I read somewhere most of the new car sales are leased which is why the purchase price is so high. The higher the price the more the lease.

This. Higher MSRP, lower residuals = higher lease payments

pkbullet

Reaction score
Lol I just drove a raptor today to cross shop against a tremor. I chuckled when they had like 7 raptors on the lot and wanted $10k over sticker. If I go Raptor I won’t be shopping in OC.
Not saying they are bringing as much as they were, but on lot inventory is a little deceptive currently. Ford built 90-120 days worth of normal production in a short 30 day window. Most of us has significantly higher on lot stock which drove down prices and then we all ran out for a 60 day window. Stock flow is just getting back to normal, I assume the dealers you are describing didn’t adjust to the short term availability. From what I’ve heard about future production, if you want a great discount on Raptor buy now they are going to even out build weeks.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Well, DMaxs really hold their value, negotiate for at least 15% off MSRP and with a trade it ain’t all that bad.

Should be taking delivery on a 2020 3500 Denali next week and for the trade-in difference to cost we’re happy.

Another reason to go GM. We were shocked what our 2015 3500 is worth. We’d be nuts not to take the deal.

I’ve always bought with the idea I have to sell one day. In this case it’s really paid back.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

I like the Raptor too.
1 in 10 trucks Ford builds at that plant are Raptors. They ain’t rare if the dealer plays that card.
Their are a lot of Ford dealers out there.

We had heard they were going back to a V8 but evidently that was rumor.
We’ll only buy with a deep discount.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Well, DMaxs really hold their value, negotiate for at least 15% off MSRP and with a trade it ain’t all that bad.

Should be taking delivery on a 2020 3500 Denali next week and for the trade-in difference to cost we’re happy.

Another reason to go GM. We were shocked what our 2015 3500 is worth. We’d be nuts not to take the deal.

I’ve always bought with the idea I have to sell one day. In this case it’s really paid back.

where did you get your Denali? I really want a 2500HD Denali, but the only really good discount I found was with Dennis Dillon. I worry about having to drive this thing in SoCal too. Not that a raptor is much smaller.

Tom Slick

Reaction score
This is just my opinion and I may be completely wrong, but the auto industry as a whole has gotten completely out of control with the price of cars and trucks. The factors are the continuing additions of technology items like wifi, blue tooth, heated and cold seats, headed steering wheels, GPS, auto suck, and the list goes on. Gone are the days that vehicles are simply equipped with a steering wheel, gas pedal and AC.

Then you have the financing. They know that the general consumer can't afford the cars today, so they offer massively extended terms 6-8 years now on a new vehicle. Or they push leases like crazy. The lease works best for manufactures because the assumption is that people will keep the miles low and take care of the vehicle so not to be penalized at turn in. The dealer then does a detail job, gives it a certified pre-owned label and markets it at a price near what it retailed for 3 years earlier when it was originally leased. The MSRP of the same vehicle as gone up so much is those 3 years that the certified pre-owned car seems like a deal. So in essence, the dealer / manufacture is kind of double ending the deal by renting the car out for 3 years and then turning around and selling it for the same price they originally would have.

Has anyone noticed that one of the very first questions a salesman asks is how much do you want to pay a month? I always tell them it's not what I want to pay a month, it's what I'm willing to pay you for the vehicle.

I maybe entirely wrong, but it seems like a logical explanation.

Yellowboat

Reaction score

I dont want a modern diesel, way too much $$$$. I also up until just recently drove a chevy 1500 dor work. Now it was fleet trim, but it was not a good truck and it legt me and many others in my company stranded with starters that failed. With onky 26.4k miles. Happened to about 20% pd the fleet all sub 50k miles and 2 years. So muh so that they are dumping them on the used market and buying something else. I have a 2020 ranger for work now as i dont really need a truck. Its dine for what ot is, but they are 25k which is way too much

Last edited:

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I can’t believe GM hasn’t come out with a platform to compete with the raptor and shove the price down and steel some of Fords market share. Those that know know the markup on the raptor is totally insane. I have a theory, if GM would just come out with a similar looking truck to the raptor they’d have a winner. Most raptor owners buy the raptor cause it looks bitchen and it sees pavement most of the time with light off-roading. So come out with a truck that has a wide track width, bulged fenders, 35” tires, decent coilovers and rear dampers (doesn’t have to be Fox or King) and you’ve got a winner! Stop dicking around with the Trail Boss and AT4 models, they are good trucks but they are a half effort to compete with the raptor.

When you have no competition you can charge what you want and that is what Ford and their dealers currently have.

If GM can put out the trail boss and at4 models they certainly can put out what I’ve described above.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
on. Gone are the days that vehicles are simply equipped with a steering wheel, gas pedal and AC.
Ehh?
I’m not sure about Ford but Dodge has the tradesman version of the Ram. No frills not even carpet, just a rubber floor liner.
A few dealers offer them at fairly (for today) decent prices, in the 30k range.
I’d imagine Ford fleet can do something similar.
But overall, things are nuts.
30 grand, lol. In 1973 my dad bought a new house for 38, lol. In Yorba Linda! :oops:

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Ehh?
I’m not sure about Ford but Dodge has the tradesman version of the Ram. No frills not even carpet, just a rubber floor liner.
A few dealers offer them at fairly (for today) decent prices, in the 30k range.
I’d imagine Ford fleet can do something similar.
But overall, things are nuts.
30 grand, lol. In 1973 my dad bought a new house for 38, lol. In Yorba Linda! :oops:
I think for the most part it’s dealer choice, unless you’re buying from a fleet manager they want to load them up with all the bells and whistle‘s because that’s what most people want. I guess they figure all the salesman can upsell you and give you the old “what kind of payment do you want to make” line.🙄

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
where did you get your Denali? I really want a 2500HD Denali, but the only really good discount I found was with Dennis Dillon. I worry about having to drive this thing in SoCal too. Not that a raptor is much smaller.
Photoglue.

adam909

Reaction score
Truck prices are crazy. In 06 I bought a crew cab, leather, 4x4 top of the line duramax for 43k. It got stolen in 2017 and insurance paid me 24k for a beat up duamax with 250k miles.. So went to replace what i had and a new duramax ran 78k. Even used prices for a low milage diesel is nuts.. When i was looking i was seeing tons of used trucks with 50k miles and asking prices where over 50k. Even used prices are crazy.. My new truck stickered at 74.9k and got it down to 63k out the door. So dealers are letting them go well below msrp. Unfortunately its this stupid market thats been created and I dont think it will change.

nameisbond

Reaction score
The prices are crazy. In the 1990's, I bought my uncles 1977 Ford F250 4X4. uncle bought it new. It was something like $4k. My current F150 is leased. I'll buy it out at the end of lease. I'll sell it to the states. With the crazy American used prices, plus the exchange rate. It doesn't cost me much too drive a new truck.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Shop a tacoma loaded and the F150 price wont shock you as much

Raptor prices will come down once the V8 release date is given

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Yes truck prices are expensive. But at the same time they are built with comfort and all the latest creature comforts people want. If you don’t want alll the glam, price out a basic truck “like they used to be”.

this is something you drive most of the time, unlike boats that are not as used as much.

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
Truck guys should be watching HD problems, they are going to face the same thing very soon. The age group that has the ability to buy is going to quit because of cost vs value vs time, and the younger group doesn’t haveEITHER the money or desire to buy that segment. The Raptor isn’t selling because of the target market. The last thing I want to do after spending that kind of money is go beat the crap out of it. In less than 5 years the truck market is going to decline, and the big 3 will be left out.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Yes truck prices are expensive. But at the same time they are built with comfort and all the latest creature comforts people want. If you don’t want alll the glam, price out a basic truck “like they used to be”.

this is something you drive most of the time, unlike boats that are not as used as much.
Only i did not spec it out for confort. It was an xlt. The only none preformance ootion i wanted was carpe not vinyl. It was a standard cab long bed v8 4wd with tow package and things that were tow related. If you build the exact same truck as an xl with painted bumpets its 41k, with chrome and a few other trim pieces its 44.5. Which is not kuch less than the xlt i had speced.

waterboy

PONTOON MEMBER
Reaction score
that’s the wrong ford dealer.

if your looking for a ford, do yourself a favor and contact Bobby Williams at sunrise ford in Fontana. It’s simple as 1-2-3
I just bought a 2020 f450 from Bobby. He was great to work with and I would tell anyone to give him a call and see what he can do

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Truck / car manufacturers overprice their products to begin with , then deeply discount them to give you the illusion of a good price . If somebody comes along and pays sticker or above , think Raptor, well , there’s a sucker born every minute .

KevinR

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how a Ford dealer can have 60 raptors on their lot, 35 of them 2019's and they still want a 10k dealer markup?

Make them an offer! They will sell. May take a few days, but wait them out. You will win the negotiation.

cxr

Reaction score
this doesnt work anymore either.... i think people are walking in paiyng sticker for these trucks and going about their business. i have been looking for a Silverado 2500 since 2017 and recently a Ram Tradesman because the deal looked so good i have contacted and worked the nerves on all my steelerships in the SoCAL area.

i have tried AAA, Costco, Carsdirect, etc. and everytime i get a reply its basically for MSRP.
Make them an offer! They will sell. May take a few days, but wait them out. You will win the negotiation.
[/QUOTE}

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
The price of new vehicles is no different than the price of anything else today. Inflation. The dollar your spending today doesn’t have the buying power it had 20 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adam909

Reaction score
this doesnt work anymore either.... i think people are walking in paiyng sticker for these trucks and going about their business. i have been looking for a Silverado 2500 since 2017 and recently a Ram Tradesman because the deal looked so good i have contacted and worked the nerves on all my steelerships in the SoCAL area.

i have tried AAA, Costco, Carsdirect, etc. and everytime i get a reply its basically for MSRP.

you have to be patient and play there games.. I shoot for 20% then will except 15 to 18% off of msrp.. cant be affraid of them nor get frustrated.. watch youtube videos of how they train salesmen so you have a understanding of the game. It can take weeks and tons of phone calls to get them to budge.. Turn it into a game and be patient.. stick with a dealer.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The price of new vehicles is no different than the price of anything else today. Inflation. The dollar your spending today doesn’t have the buying power it had 20 years ago.

Actually in this case it does. A new ~$40k half ton has the same CAPABILITY as the 15-20 year old 3/4 ton, will get better mileage, be more pleasant to drive, and have way more features for the same money.

Yea a new 3/4 ton diesel is $65k. Don’t buy it if you are launching your boat and towing 10,000 lbs around.

Cdog

Reaction score
Actually in this case it does. A new ~$40k half ton has the same CAPABILITY as the 15-20 year old 3/4 ton, will get better mileage, be more pleasant to drive, and have way more features for the same money.

Yea a new 3/4 ton diesel is $65k. Don’t buy it if you are launching your boat and towing 10,000 lbs around.

But it doesn’t . My 06 lbz will tow circles around any newer 1/2 ton. 10k is heavy as fuck as a bumper pull. 5thwheel/gooseneck no problem.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

Good point. Plus the new truck has way more technology if you’re into that. Adaptive cruise control and lane control. WiFi. Remote start from your phone. Better transmissions. Better mileage. The list goes on and on.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
But it doesn’t . My 06 lbz will tow circles around any newer 1/2 ton. 10k is heavy as fuck as a bumper pull. 5thwheel/gooseneck no problem.

A new half ton tows 10k lbs fine, hate to break it to you. They have a better and stiffer chassis, bigger brakes and all the electronic safety crap.

Your Duramax had a bigger rear axle, that is about it. Yea maybe the 15 year old Chevys were underrated.. we are taking about towing within the rated limits of the vehicle here.

Cdog

Reaction score
A new half ton tows 10k lbs fine, hate to break it to you. They have a better and stiffer chassis, bigger brakes and all the electronic safety crap.

Your Duramax had a bigger rear axle, that is about it. Yea maybe the 15 year old Chevys were underrated.. we are taking about towing within the rated limits of the vehicle here.

I’ve towed 17k + gooseneck with my 3/4 ton. Underrated is an understatement.

Dansblown73Nordic

Reaction score
I have never in my life bought a new vehicle. Not that I couldn't just can't stand the thought of loosing 10k-15k as soon as you drive it off the lot. Id rather buy a few year old truck. Drive it 50K and sell it for close to what I paid. I have done it twice with two Duramaxes. I spend a bunch of time shopping the internet. I look for a low mile truck that is loaded and rust free. I don't drive them in the winter. New York KILLS EVERYTHING...So far it has worked very well the last 8 years.

yz450mm

Reaction score
Are we really doing the new half ton versus old 3/4 ton debate again? 😁😁

I towed my toy hauler out to KOH and back this weekend for the first time with the new truck, and compared to the 2017 one ton that I traded in, this was probably a 35% better towing experience. It only has 700 miles, so the computers are still in learning mode for sure. However, the power on tap with the 10 speed transmission, the camera systems and tech package, and the overall ride quality and trailer control were amazing. My rough estimate puts the trailer at about 18.5K for the weekend.

I have towed heavy with a 2003 gas 6.0, 2008 diesel 3/4 ton short bed, 2015 diesel 3/4 ton long bed, 2017 one ton long bed, and now a 2020 one ton long bed. Aside from going from gas to diesel, the latest truck purchase has been the biggest upgrade by far. Rock solid, easy starting and stopping, absolutely zero sway even when passing a fully loaded hay bale semi truck at 65, and all the technology to make it easy and fun.

There are tons and tons of cool features, but here's one that stands out for RDP. When you park and lock the truck with a trailer attached, it activates trailer theft alarm. So as soon as the tweekers disconnect the trailer plug, it sets off the truck alarm.

KevinR

Reaction score

I agree, not as often as it used to. However if they have last year’s model sitting in inventory they will be far more motivated to make the sale.

Cdog

Reaction score
Are we really doing the new half ton versus old 3/4 ton debate again? 😁😁

I towed my toy hauler out to KOH and back this weekend for the first time with the new truck, and compared to the 2017 one ton that I traded in, this was probably a 35% better towing experience. It only has 700 miles, so the computers are still in learning mode for sure. However, the power on tap with the 10 speed transmission, the camera systems and tech package, and the overall ride quality and trailer control were amazing. My rough estimate puts the trailer at about 18.5K for the weekend.

I have towed heavy with a 2003 gas 6.0, 2008 diesel 3/4 ton short bed, 2015 diesel 3/4 ton long bed, 2017 one ton long bed, and now a 2020 one ton long bed. Aside from going from gas to diesel, the latest truck purchase has been the biggest upgrade by far. Rock solid, easy starting and stopping, absolutely zero sway even when passing a fully loaded hay bale semi truck at 65, and all the technology to make it easy and fun.

There are tons and tons of cool features, but here's one that stands out for RDP. When you park and lock the truck with a trailer attached, it activates trailer theft alarm. So as soon as the tweekers disconnect the trailer plug, it sets off the truck alarm.

You're absolutely right. The new trucks have finally made the move with enough to offer that I'll be upgrading over the next year. 10 speed, adaptive electronic assist steering, 22k tow rating on goose/5th for 1 ton CCSB SRW. I listened to an interview with a Ford engineer over the weekend. The new 6.7 is much more than bolt ons. They improved the block, heads, turbo and went with steel pistions.

I won't buy the first year anything unless my lbz gets stolen but the 2020's are a game changer.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I like the Raptor too.
1 in 10 trucks Ford builds at that plant are Raptors. They ain’t rare if the dealer plays that card.
Their are a lot of Ford dealers out there.

We had heard they were going back to a V8 but evidently that was rumor.
We’ll only buy with a deep discount.
I’m with you on buying with a deep discount. Other dealers are selling at invoice out of state so I’ll have to figure out what issues I’ll have bringing a truck into CA. The V8 may not be coming, but the rear coil Raptor is coming. The mules are out testing, and I’m guessing that will drive the price of these down as that release gets closer.