WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Crazy wages Havasu

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Are you sure?? My apprentices said they are still receiving 700. That was a week or two ago.

People are confusing the State $ with the Fed stipend.
Not everyone gets the same state amount even in the same state.
MOST will get the max, but not all will.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
kinda depends on what city.. I remember when shintooo said 300k is almost poverty level.. and in certain parts of California he’s right. 😳
See that’s where I’m lost. Why do people think they should be able to live in the most expensive areas? If you can’t afford it, move to where you can.
300k is very wealthy in my opinion.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
GF Daughter got her first job at 16 at Jersey Mikes. $19 a hour. No way she could survive if She had to pay rent, car payment, insurance or any bills. At least She is motivated to work when she doesn't have to. To many lazy people out there. I can't keep up with jobs passing up a lot of work lately. Nobody to do the work and we are slammed.
$19 to make sandwiches is damn good. That's what a 1st period apprentice carpenter makes doing hard labor

lbhsbz

Reaction score
See that’s where I’m lost. Why do people think they should be able to live in the most expensive areas? If you can’t afford it, move to where you can.
300k is very wealthy in my opinion.
Agreed. But, when even the most basic small home in questionable areas cannot be found for under $600K, that $100K/year doesn't get you very far. The other significant problem is that it's hard to own other stuff any more that is, in this day and age, a necessity. Cell phones along with monthly monthly plans run a couple hundred per month...everything is subscription based (Microsoft office 365, etc), Insurance/utilities are up, everything costs significantly more than it did 20 years ago. $100K/year 20 years ago would be a very good salary in So Cal....now it's borderline poverty anywhere in the southern part of the state.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Nobody mentions AC environment !
Until the Gov starts Cutting give away bennies......
This will be the norm. Good $$$ or not.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Agreed. But, when even the most basic small home in questionable areas cannot be found for under $600K, that $100K/year doesn't get you very far. The other significant problem is that it's hard to own other stuff any more that is, in this day and age, a necessity. Cell phones along with monthly monthly plans run a couple hundred per month...everything is subscription based (Microsoft office 365, etc), Insurance/utilities are up, everything costs significantly more than it did 20 years ago. $100K/year 20 years ago would be a very good salary in So Cal....now it's borderline poverty anywhere in the southern part of the state.
You lost me at basic small home for 600k.

600k will get you into a nice house in decent areas.

My house is 4bed 2bath plus an office on 1/4acre and huge RV access built in 2005 and it’s worth about 400k. So 600k is plenty.

I’m not saying you are living the life and buying brand new boats and diesel trucks. But 100k will cover your needs rather easily.

77charger

Reaction score
Agreed. But, when even the most basic small home in questionable areas cannot be found for under $600K, that $100K/year doesn't get you very far. The other significant problem is that it's hard to own other stuff any more that is, in this day and age, a necessity. Cell phones along with monthly monthly plans run a couple hundred per month...everything is subscription based (Microsoft office 365, etc), Insurance/utilities are up, everything costs significantly more than it did 20 years ago. $100K/year 20 years ago would be a very good salary in So Cal....now it's borderline poverty anywhere in the southern part of ca.
I wouldnt have what i have now if we didnt buy our first home in 2000 in fullerton.bought at 190 sold for 585 20 years later.I never made a 100k had good pay for what i had.I worked alot of ot that helped and had alot of perks so even though base salary was 55k had atleast 20k more in ot etc.Now in az where we put 250k down on 305k home,wife now full time work and i can do part time well 8-10 days a month.She wanted to be closer to parents since they moved here 2 years ago although she woldnt say thats the reason i wanted to wait a couple more years so part of deal was she goes back to work full time i go part time.

But today like you say 100k aint going far in so cal and i agree i really doubt it would get you an apt.We made about 80k combined when we bought first house and were able to afford new truck and car along with it.No way in hell would that fly today.My guess atleast 150-200k for ca.And im with BLD on the living in most expensive areas id rather find a good area and stretch the money vs trying to keep up with others.Now if you could afford it easily then go for it.

Reactions: DWC

lbhsbz

Reaction score
You lost me at basic small home for 600k.

600k will get you into a nice house in decent areas.

My house is 4bed 2bath plus an office on 1/4acre and huge RV access built in 2005 and it’s worth about 400k. So 600k is plenty.

I’m not saying you are living the life and buying brand new boats and diesel trucks. But 100k will cover your needs rather easily.

Where? I sold my old 1000sq/ft house on a 5000 sq/ft lot in North Long Beach last year for $600K. It’s worth about 700K now.

DWC

Reaction score
Its bizarre.. I know people that didn’t ask for it and it’s still getting deposited into their accounts. Some are up to like 30+k now..
I’ve got a coworker in the same boat. He took a week off with the Vid. He really never stopped working (emails/calls). I think he’s up to $9k. He’s called and it keeps coming.
My son’s buddy was a bar manager in downtown Disney. When it shut down he went on unemployment and never went back. He was making too much to even bother with another job.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Where? I sold my old 1000sq/ft house on a 5000 sq/ft lot in North Long Beach last year for $600K. It’s worth about 700K now.

Apple Valley. My buddy just sold a really nice house in Yucaipa for 550k.
600k gets you into oak hills and a very good area. There is a new tract on the east side of riverside going up I think they start in the high 400’s.

There are plenty of affordable places to live. But the stuck up people don’t think it’s good enough for them. But then complain they can’t afford to buy a house.

I have a friend renting a house in riverside it’s old as fuck. Has an electric heat pump for HVAC. So he has a $500 electric bill every month. And pays $1600 for rent.

Yet he thinks I live in a shit hole. But my 20yr mortgage is $1300

oh and he has bums taking baths in his water spigot on the side of the house.

DWC

Reaction score
Yes, but in 4 years they'll be making 100K, the sandwich maker will not,
For some reason today’s youth can’t do that math. It’s all about getting 50cents more now. We have people leave for Panda Express etc all the time. In 5 years they’ll still be making $20ish an hour.

attitude

Reaction score
For some reason today’s youth can’t do that math. It’s all about getting 50cents more now. We have people leave for Panda Express etc all the time. In 5 years they’ll still be making $20ish an hour.
The pay scale is all over the place, I have friends in their early to mid 20s busting there ass as a yard boy/ diesel mechanic making less than 20 an hour where I have other friends making 20k a month as a DOD contractor working on ships. Right now is a great opportunity for people being under paid to find a new job.

Reactions: DWC

CLdrinker

Reaction score

very true.

13yrs ago I took a $4hr pay cut to get into the utility industry. Look at me now I’m still poor only making 100k 😂

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
600k gets you into oak hills and a very good area. There is a new tract on the east side of riverside going up I think they start in the high 400’s.

There are plenty of affordable places to live. But the stuck up people don’t think it’s good enough for them. But then complain they can’t afford to buy a house.

I have a friend renting a house in riverside it’s old as fuck. Has an electric heat pump for HVAC. So he has a $500 electric bill every month. And pays $1600 for rent.

Unless you can find a job up there, that is a rough and costly commute. Better off spending more for a house down the hill. Becomes a question of what your time is worth.

attitude

Reaction score
Unless you can find a job up there, that is a rough and costly commute. Better off spending more for a house down the hill. Becomes a question of what your time is worth.
A few years ago when I moved into my first house I had a coworker ask me how much it cost me a month. He couldn't wrap his head around why I would pay that when he pays $600 less a month for a comparable house. The difference is I live in Norco with a 10 minute commute and he lives way up in the high desert with a 2 hour commute…

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Depends on where.
Yes and no. If you can’t afford to live somewhere move. It is not up to society to provide for your wants.

People who are complaining about not being able to afford to live on a 100k want to live in expensive areas. Which is fine but you have to earn that.

live within your means is what I’m saying. There is to much entitlement and snobby ness this day and age.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I will not commute 3 hours each way is my problem. The 1000 sq ft house across the street from me just sold for 750k in 2 days and my house is in the hood. To live in a good part of Torrance you need to make over 300k. House we are finishing today in Westchester will be listed for 2 million. Used to be a shitty area but has improved a lot. Inglewood is hitting 800k- million. Define depends where you live for wages needed.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Not really. My house down the hill would probably near the 600k Mark. So my mortgage would be a good amount more.
My morning commute is about 50min and my drive home is 1:15 so 2hrs a day. Most people have to drive Atleast a little bit to work say 30min each way? So I’m an hour more that’s not bad. Was $200-250 in fuel before Biden.

Wife works in San Diego via our living room. I’m going hybrid and will be in the office 2days a week at most so our cost of living is getting cheaper.

I barely graduated high school and she has an associate degree. So if we can do it so can anyone else. All it takes is a bit of effort.

NicPaus

Reaction score
$19 to make sandwiches is damn good. That's what a 1st period apprentice carpenter makes doing hard labor
I thought Vic said $44 a hour union carpenter. The laborer for SCE that moved a gas line for me was making $36 a hour and commuting 2 hours each way. The foreman was from long beach and was $57 a hour if I recall.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yes and no. If you can’t afford to live somewhere move. It is not up to society to provide for your wants.

People who are complaining about not being able to afford to live on a 100k want to live in expensive areas. Which is fine but you have to earn that.

live within your means is what I’m saying. There is to much entitlement and snobby ness this day and age.

I agree.

Wedgy

Reaction score
Are you sure?? My apprentices said they are still receiving 700. That was a week or two ago.
Sounds like a Surfers dream. Housing? Chevy G Van. $2800 a month? California dreamin. Banzai!!

I'd be spreading it around on as many Six Pack Charters as possible. A big part of California pricing, The Blue Pacific. Miss those epic yearly company Charters. Fish On!

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Not really. My house down the hill would probably near the 600k Mark. So my mortgage would be a good amount more.
My morning commute is about 50min and my drive home is 1:15 so 2hrs a day. Most people have to drive Atleast a little bit to work say 30min each way? So I’m an hour more that’s not bad. Was $200-250 in fuel before Biden.

Wife works in San Diego via our living room. I’m going hybrid and will be in the office 2days a week at most so our cost of living is getting cheaper.

I barely graduated high school and she has an associate degree. So if we can do it so can anyone else. All it takes is a bit of effort.

Again, it comes down to what is your time worth and what you are willing to put up with. It’s different for Everyone.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
A few years ago when I moved into my first house I had a coworker ask me how much it cost me a month. He couldn't wrap his head around why I would pay that when he pays $600 less a month for a comparable house. The difference is I live in Norco with a 10 minute commute and he lives way up in the high desert with a 2 hour commute…
That’s about where I would draw the line where the commute don’t pencil out.
Apple valley to Rialto isn’t bad at all. I’m also lucky enough to be salary so I don’t have to stress about punching a time clock. If traffic screws me I don’t have to stress about being late.

Ladsm

Reaction score
Its not how much you make but how much you spend. I do very well and during my divorce I learned real quick how to cut spending. I have kept that lower cost lifestyle and I am much happier. I bought all my things back like boats, RVs and Harleys but I bought used and I am gonna run them into the ground. My $15K boat gets me everywhere my $75K bought went and same as my other toys. If somebody is self-employed and makes a great profit good for you but people working for wages and have to finance everything doesnt make sense to me.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Ask him if he understands now that gas is almost $5/gallon again.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score

I just applied to a company thats just north of George AFB and i am not looking forward to the commute from Corona already.
It makes my drive from Corona to Costa Mesa, which i already despise, feel like a dream......especially after reading some of the commute times on the Cajon Crawl page.....
FML

attitude

Reaction score
Ask him if he understands now that gas is almost $5/gallon again.
Back then I asked him to multiple his commute hours by how much he made an hour. If he made $25 an hour( he probably makes at least $40 now) that’s $100 a day he’s throwing a way.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
What ever happened to having roommates when you first move out with your first job?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I thought Vic said $44 a hour union carpenter. The laborer for SCE that moved a gas line for me was making $36 a hour and commuting 2 hours each way. The foreman was from long beach and was $57 a hour if I recall.

Brian's quoting what a 1st period "entry level" apprentice carpenter makes per hour.
Your looking at a Journeyman carpenter.

The 1st period can become a Journeyman in 4 years or less, if he stays on his school schedule and stays busy on the job putting in hours.

The difference between the SCE guy, and the Union Carpenter:

The Carpenter has to hustle up his own work, and he's only busy if there are jobs hiring / working. Wild market swings are the name of the game in union construction field labor. It's usually overtime, or "no time". And unless they get on a big hospital or airport project, they may spend anywhere from 1 week to 6 months max on a job. These guys need to save $$$ accordingly.

The SCE guy is likely employed year-round as a full time employee to SCE, and not subject to layoffs, or having to go out and find work in the industry (unless he gets fired by SCE for some reason)

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Wh
Its not how much you make but how much you spend. I do very well and during my divorce I learned real quick how to cut spending. I have kept that lower cost lifestyle and I am much happier. I bought all my things back like boats, RVs and Harleys but I bought used and I am gonna run them into the ground. My $15K boat gets me everywhere my $75K bought went and same as my other toys. If somebody is self-employed and makes a great profit good for you but people working for wages and have to finance everything doesnt make sense to me.
Whoa whoa....where you getting a 15K boat?

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I just applied to a company thats just north of George AFB and i am not looking forward to the commute from Corona already.
It makes my drive from Corona to Costa Mesa, which i already despise, feel like a dream......especially after reading some of the commute times on the Cajon Crawl page.....
FML
Going south has been horrible at 5pm for some damn reason

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score

Being Happy and @ Peace is Priceless and it appears you have found this and everything taken into account, you are Miles ahead of the Tail Chasers and Keeping up with ?

Good Job, Ignore the Distractions and focus on You and Yours.:cool:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I work for the electric company and make $47hr. But my position is eligible for a very good bonus if I hit my goals and I get a nice 401k contribution.
All with no degree.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score

And that's why I live in Apple Valley to.

My corporate office is in Ventura. I have an office in Ontario but we work from San Diego to Santa Barbara. I'd be driving regardless.

Everyone at work always asks why I live here. It's simple, I like it here. For the most part AV is clean and nice and the desert leans more right then other areas in CA. My house is nice and affordable with decent land. I max out my 401k, have money for savings and investments. Nice cars and can afford toys and vacations. And next year will put our daughter in private school.

We do decent pay wise but we are not making 300k lol.

racektm

Reaction score
That's for a journeyman, a first period apprentice makes about 50% of the journeyman

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
This went from Havasu detail pay (a fine amount I'd say), to "time is money, and homes are worth millions"

Sorry to break this to ya'll, not everyone has or needs a thousand dollar iPhone, can afford a million dollar home or really wants to make those payments...some may see differently "wants" and "needs".

Maybe that's why there are no workers. People had kids and told them all commuting is for losers, and you have to make over a 100k to start.

Oh well, I'm going to commute my happy ass to work...about 150ft.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
You guys commuting 150 miles+ per day....how long does a car last? That's about 40K miles/year? ... means you're probably buying a new car every 3 or 4 or 5 years, and repair costs, a set of tires per year, etc....

I bought my used truck for $9K about 6 years ago and have put 40K miles on it since then....I plan on keeping it for another 10 years at least....then probably sell it for $10K. A $40K car isn't worth much more than $5-10K with 160K on it, plus insurance/registration costs on a new car... so figure that into the time/money wasted in the commute so that you can "save" money living 100 miles from civilization.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
This went from Havasu detail pay (a fine amount I'd say), to "time is money, and homes are worth millions"

Sorry to break this to ya'll, not everyone has or needs a thousand dollar iPhone, can afford a million dollar home or really wants to make those payments...some may see differently "wants" and "needs".

Maybe that's why there are no workers. People had kids and told them all commuting is for losers, and you have to make over a 100k to start.

Oh well, I'm going to commute my happy ass to work...about 150ft.
You make a really good point. It’s our age group that is raising entitled little shits.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
You guys commuting 150 miles+ per day....how long does a car last? That's about 40K miles/year? ... means you're probably buying a new car every 3 or 4 or 5 years, and repair costs, a set of tires per year, etc....

I bought my used truck for $9K about 6 years ago and have put 40K miles on it since then....I plan on keeping it for another 10 years at least....then probably sell it for $10K. A $40K car isn't worth much more than $5-10K with 160K on it, plus insurance/registration costs on a new car... so figure that into the time/money wasted in the commute so that you can "save" money living 100 miles from civilization.
I drove the same car for 6yrs and it was still going strong. My commute was 110 round trip.
100 miles from civilizationCome on you are literally just making assumptions at this point.

remember you are the one that was living in a tiny 1000 square ft house.
All so you could live in Long Beach? Which has major shit hole areas just like any other place.

you see we are both making sacrifices. You spend a fortune to live in a tiny house I make a drive to live in a newer larger home.
Tomato Tomoto.

As far as cars go. I have a ‘18 Ram 2500 with 15k miles and a ‘18 Durango with 25k miles. Own both.
Have a ‘15 JKUR with 65k miles that owe a bit on.
All off of my poor mans salary.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
FML
If you do fb get on pain in the pass.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score

From 05 to 12 I was a 7.3 whore. Usually obs crew cab duallies...white. I was more in the 60k+ category. Maintenance honestly wasn't bad. The trucks had everything I needed, ac, radio...bed...simple stuff. I had three total in that time frame. Highest I paid was 6500, cheapest was 5k. All of them sold for 5k. Sometimes even roofers can take care of their stuff. Obviously, I didn't see they were going to be collector car status!
The killer: under obummer the 5.35gl diesel. At one point I looked into leasing a yard, but just another pain in the ass.

You make a really good point. It’s our age group that is raising entitled little shits.
There's a reason my daughters first car was an 85 Chevy pickup. Also why she had to help me sand it. Her first job, aside from tutoring, was mucking stalls.
She's taking this summer off, starts college in a few weeks...aeronautical engineering then Air Force.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
From 05 to 12 I was a 7.3 whore. Usually obs crew cab duallies...white. I was more in the 60k+ category. Maintenance honestly wasn't bad. The trucks had everything I needed, ac, radio...bed...simple stuff. I had three total in that time frame. Highest I paid was 6500, cheapest was 5k. All of them sold for 5k. Sometimes even roofers can take care of their stuff. Obviously, I didn't see they were going to be collector car status!
The killer: under obummer the 5.35gl diesel. At one point I looked into leasing a yard, but just another pain in the ass.

There's a reason my daughters first car was an 85 Chevy pickup. Also why she had to help me sand it. Her first job, aside from tutoring, was mucking stalls.
She's taking this summer off, starts college in a few weeks...aeronautical engineering then Air Force.
Mucking stalls is good honest work for kids imo. I don’t mind giving the boys some money but they need to be out doing their part around the house.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
FML
For the most part your going the opposite way. Although lately traffic has been bad on both side at weird times. Hopefully your hours are decent and you can avoid the rush hour. I tend to leave my house way early then I need to avoid some of the B's.

Shitty part if there's fires or in the winter with fog and stuff.