WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Credit card cloned at running man friday

riverroyal

Reaction score
The one by Walmart. Did 2 transactions at the pump since it only goes to 75.
Bought $10 worth of drinks inside.
Within minutes there was a .50 charge to a vet for animal prescription in colorado.
Shortly after 2300 'wire transfer' to some where overseas.
No more running man for me...ever

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Credit card? Or debit card? Most CC chips will make a one off transaction where they don’t even get your numbers etc. could care less if they take money that isn’t mine. Don’t even carry my debit card on me anymore. Apple Pay at the atm to withdraw money.

Reactions: TPC

yz450mm

Reaction score
Anytime I go on vacation I use my American Express to pay for everything, then pay it off on Monday or Tuesday once all the charges post. The fraud protection is much greater for credit cards than debit cards, or so I hear.

Yours had to be some kind of skimmer that sent the magstripe info directly to somebody close by. Doesn't surprise me though...

Boat 405

Reaction score
Within minutes there was a .50 charge to a vet for animal prescription in colorado.
Yup, fuck em. I got a load of bad 91 fuel there a month ago. Never again.

DLC

Reaction score
My buddy used his CC on Friday at running man and now has a $1600 charge at Best Buy on line Friday night at 11:30 pm and 2 or 3 other attempts that got denied

they called the CC company to dispute charges but now the card is dead!!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Uh oh.. I used my debit card this weekend there.

Reactions: DWC

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Anytime I go on vacation I use my American Express to pay for everything, then pay it off on Monday or Tuesday once all the charges post. The fraud protection is much greater for credit cards than debit cards, or so I hear.

Yours had to be some kind of skimmer that sent the magstripe info directly to somebody close by. Doesn't surprise me though...
Certain groups are full of scammers/skimmers... I will not ever stop or give a cent to business in their "zone"

I agree on amex they are great and will fed-ex an overnight card as needed. fuck crit...will never give those son of a bitches a penny.

Last edited:

riverroyal

Reaction score
My buddy used his CC on Friday at running man and now has a $1600 charge at Best Buy on line Friday night at 11:30 pm and 2 or 3 other attempts that got denied

they called the CC company to dispute charges but now the card is dead!!
Seriously? Wtf. The clone was from a inside purchase, we think.

C-2

Reaction score
My ATM cards (no credit cards) were getting hit on the regular, so I stopped using them and now I only use Apply Pay and linked ATM cards.

So far, so good.

Most pumps these days allow you to use your phone and apple or Google pay.

Maybe it's worth a shot - don't be skeered, super simple to use. :)

rickym20

Reaction score
Skimmers now are hard to tell they are there. Some of the better guys will even put a skimmer on a inside card machine by distracting the clerk while other applies the skimmer . From what I’m am told the tap to pay is tougher for them to get the signal but even those are not perfect.

I know someone real well that is working against this scheme. As said above, someone most likely close by receiving the information as you swipe and sending it off. Shitty world we live in.

Backlash

Reaction score
Lots of skimmers found in pumps. It's simple to do and by the time you realize your info was compromised, it's too late. Hopefully your bank stands behind you and your claim.

Fuck that shitty place. As stated, I will do whatever I can to NOT spend a dime on the rez.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
See post 13 😃

C’mon man! Lol

Sticking your bank account info into a gas pump is a recipe for disaster. CC insulates you far more.
Everyone I know that uses their debit for gas has had multiple breaches from simple theft to full blown identity theft, but they wont stop doing it...blows my mind. (These are the same people that confuse retail cards with bank cards)
A limited account balance is good but it’s still a direct cash account with your money and info.
That’s what credit cards are for!

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Why in the F would you use a debit card to buy anything? That’s giving $ away. With all the reward stuff now on most CC cards (some much better than others) now you’re foolish to use a DC. Miles, cash, Amazon $, all sorts of shit. All goes on one card and cut a check (direct payment) first of month. We put EVERYTHING on the card that we can. I think we’re almost $2k a year cash back.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Why in the F would you use a debit card to buy anything? That’s giving $ away. With all the reward stuff now on most CC cards (some much better than others) now you’re foolish to use a DC. Miles, cash, Amazon $, all sorts of shit. All goes on one card and cut a check (direct payment) first of month. We put EVERYTHING on the card that we can. I think we’re almost $2k a year cash back.
This ^^
I use Capital One for personal, Good rewards. 280k miles this year.

And use a Disney Visa for business. Pays for a couple of annual passes for my kids.

Pay them both off immediately after use.

C-2

Reaction score
I haven't used a credit card for 15-years, lol. I understand the use of credit cards for points, frequent flyer miles etc, but I'm just a simpleton and all I pay each month is my mortgage and utility bills.

Years ago using an ATM card was bad because banks left you out to dry when a card was compromised. But now they are responsive and replenish funds and cards quickly.

Card cloning is a simple theft, easy to pull off. The vast majority of the time it does not lead to identity theft, just crunch the numbers. Most people claim they were victims of ID theft when their card was hit, or they say they were hacked, few people even understand the difference between the two.

What I'm saying is try using your phone to pay. Using any card at the pump, or even inside, subjects you to cloning. A swiped card is a swiped card, cc or ATM, makes no difference.

I'm convinced the majority of cloning takes place with the help of insider resources (the merchant themselves).

Another strategy is to purchase pre-paid cards and use them at the pump. I have a friend who does this and her cards have never been compromised. But that's too much work for me, lol

dave29

Reaction score
I haven't used a credit card to buy gas in 6 years. Was hacked too many times so I decided to carry a couple of hundreds in my wallet.
The last time my card was hacked was about 5 years ago in Alabama. Was taking a driving school. Had dinner at a restaurant close to the hotel and the next day I got a call from the credit card company asking me questions. Card was hacked and they closed it that moment. Problem.......I had no way to pay for the hotel bill. Had a friend use his card and repaid him when we got home. Now, I carry 2 credit cards and a couple of hundreds.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I recently had fraud on one of my CC's. Transaction was for .10c and my bank blocked it and sent me an alert. 58 minutes on the phone with BofA fraud group and cancellation of the card with a new one issued...I told the customer service rep I would gladly pay the .10c if I could get my 58 minutes back. That whole ordeal had to of cost them a few hundred dollars.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I recently had fraud on one of my CC's. Transaction was for .10c and my bank blocked it and sent me an alert. 58 minutes on the phone with BofA fraud group and cancellation of the card with a new one issued...I told the customer service rep I would gladly pay the .10c if I could get my 58 minutes back. That whole ordeal had to of cost them a few hundred dollars.
The thing is after that initial .10 transaction....if that goes thru then they run up the big charges. You likely stopped a lot of fraud which was going to be a lot more than .10

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
LF got hit yesterday after he put lunch on his CC......By the time he got home (apx 30 min) charges were being put on his card

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
The thing is after that initial .10 transaction....if that goes thru then they run up the big charges. You likely stopped a lot of fraud which was going to be a lot more than .10

If the bank blocks it and sends out an alert on their own as he described, there won’t be anymore fraud beyond the initial $.10. You will have to get on the phone with them to get a new card because the card is locked.

84miller

Reaction score
I use a Chevron card. I have it set to text me on any transaction. Yes, I have had twice been a victim of a card reader...once in Menifee, once in Havasu. Both times took one call to Chevron credit card support to report, cancel charge, send a new card. The best thing is they contact the station and have the pump number. Now the card is chipped, not sure it helps, but does not happen. If I don't use my Chevron card, I pay cash. I find it more time consuming and difficult to fix a fraudulent debit or credit card (visa/mastercard) charge. Plus you get a small discount using the gas card.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I haven't used a credit card to buy gas in 6 years. Was hacked too many times so I decided to carry a couple of hundreds in my wallet.
The last time my card was hacked was about 5 years ago in Alabama. Was taking a driving school. Had dinner at a restaurant close to the hotel and the next day I got a call from the credit card company asking me questions. Card was hacked and they closed it that moment. Problem.......I had no way to pay for the hotel bill. Had a friend use his card and repaid him when we got home. Now, I carry 2 credit cards and a couple of hundreds.
Happened to us we believe at the Kiowa market gas station. Wife was flying to China to vacation with our daughter. Gets to airport in asia with wifi and gets notified of an unusual purchase from the card company. Hardest part was her attempting to call the card to stop it from china since I wasn't able to due to not being the primary on it.
The hotel and everything else had been secured with that card so it in itself created a whole other situation. Luckily, we've traveled enough to bring more than one card otherwise she could have been SOL on the hotel in a not so friendly place.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Don’t use debit cards at the pump. Try not to use them at all. They don’t have nearly the amount of fraud protection a CC does. They can also drain your bank account which will be a huge pain to recover.

Sandlord

Reaction score
Only time it happened to me was on the res, between Flag and Moab.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Yup, fuck em. I got a load of bad 91 fuel there a month ago. Never again.
I had some bad diesel there about 6 months back. A round of filters at $80 and the labor by me to get clear.

I'll pass on the Running Man...for good.

Jay Dub

Reaction score

I do the same. Amex is great to deal with if something happens.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Forgive my 'Newb-ness' . . . after reading this I decided to add my CC into apple pay . . . never used it before.
Do most gas stations accept it????

Back in October at Cottonwood Cove I tried to pay for some gas at the fuel dock . . . my debit card got declined. I immediately got an email from Chase Bank asking if it was me attempting to use the card. I confirmed and it instantly free'd me up. I've been happy with Chase in regards to CC & debit card protection.

Last edited:

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Don’t use debit cards at the pump. Try not to use them at all. They don’t have nearly the amount of fraud protection a CC does. They can also drain your bank account which will be a huge pain to recover.
This is the short and sweet version. All summed up there.

C-2

Reaction score
Forgive me 'Newb-ness' . . . after reading this I decided to add my CC into apple pay . . . never used it before.
Do most gas stations accept it????

Back in October at Cottonwood Cove I tried to pay for some gas at the fuel dock . . . my debit card got declined. I immediately got an email from Chase Bank asking if it was me attempting to use the card. I confirmed and it instantly free'd me up. I've been happy with Chase in regards to CC & debit card protection.

Yes, most gas stations accept Apple Pay at the pump. Watch a YouTube video on how to do it with your version of iPhone.

Some banks, like BofA, also let you tie your debit card to your phone so the bank knows you are in possession of both.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
First off never use Debit card, second off F Apple anything.
Always use cash or a cc. We need to keep the world use to seeing cash. Remember what the dumb ass Dems are up to. Cash baby!!

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
First off never use Debit card, second off F Apple anything.
Always use cash or a cc. We need to keep the world use to seeing cash. Remember what the dumb ass Dems are up to. Cash baby!!
It’s a lot easier to do your taxes if you pay with a credit car.d. Cash would be a nightmare especially the receipts you get nowadays fade pretty quickly.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
It’s a lot easier to do your taxes if you pay with a credit car.d. Cash would be a nightmare especially the receipts you get nowadays fade pretty quickly.
Yes for purchases at a place of business, but people use their cards at swap meets, lunch trucks etc. Letting someone scan your card through their phone, just asking for trouble. I do use an Amex card but restaurants are always cash as I don't want my card leaving my sight. Wife got burned years ago with her debit card when target had that big fraud. What a pain, no money lost but the whole identity thing started.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Few years ago I used one of our Chase Cards at an ATM in Crete, Greece to get some Euros. Within minutes my wife, then at our home in Camarillo CA, received a phone call from Chase, on a Saturday no less, letting her know of that activity on our card. We were impressed.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Friend in the ATM/pump card reader business says it's most always employees at the station in on it. Mixed up in it in some way.

C-2

Reaction score
Get a nice RFID wallet, too.

I bought a Bryker-Hyde top-grain leather about 5-years ago and it's a great wallet. It stops my security fob card from working, so the wallet is the real deal.

Plus, I sandwich my cards in between a couple of RFID blocking cards.

Do your research on leather - "genuine" doesn't mean shit and it's pretty much crap these days. Top-Grain is real leather and the second best grade/quality you can buy.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score

What pump were you at? I ask because I was at the closest islands last Sat getting fuel. I noticed all the 91 Race were offline, picked up pump #4 for regular 91. CC x2 because the damn limit is $75. I always figure the islands closest to the cashier are less likely to get fucked with but anything can happen.

Now I'm going to be watching both cards like a hawk... :mad:

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I haven't used a credit card for 15-years, lol. I understand the use of credit cards for points, frequent flyer miles etc, but I'm just a simpleton and all I pay each month is my mortgage and utility bills.

Years ago using an ATM card was bad because banks left you out to dry when a card was compromised. But now they are responsive and replenish funds and cards quickly.

Card cloning is a simple theft, easy to pull off. The vast majority of the time it does not lead to identity theft, just crunch the numbers. Most people claim they were victims of ID theft when their card was hit, or they say they were hacked, few people even understand the difference between the two.

What I'm saying is try using your phone to pay. Using any card at the pump, or even inside, subjects you to cloning. A swiped card is a swiped card, cc or ATM, makes no difference.

I'm convinced the majority of cloning takes place with the help of insider resources (the merchant themselves).

Another strategy is to purchase pre-paid cards and use them at the pump. I have a friend who does this and her cards have never been compromised. But that's too much work for me, lol

Which is why you always 1)check the swipe port by aggressively wrenching on it 2) always use the near field reader or chip reader, not the mag strip when available.

Magnetic card strip offers absolutely no security and is child's play to scan and clone in the modern world.smart chips and near field are far more secure

Reactions: C-2

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So check this out...

On KLOS this afternoon, people were calling in telling stories about how they got ripped off. One dude calls in and says...

Back in his younger days, he would make friends with other losers that worked at a restaurant or gas station, and pay them one hundred dollars a pop, for every credit card they would run through a black box he would give them.

He would then later go on a spending spree, with the CC numbers he harvested.

Timely story!!