WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Critique this boat for me………

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Today, I went to my local dealership to look at a 31‘ Chris Craft Calypso. It was nice.

But I looked over and saw the Regal 33 SAV also in the showroom. I climbed all over it. I didn’t think I would like it, but I was surprised how many boxes it checked for my wife and I.

We both liked the drop down TV. There have been many times at the sandbar, whereas it would have been nice to have the Dolphins game on.

We both like the separate shower in head.

With motors up, it’s draft is only 21”.

Heres the negative. It appears that these boats do not hold their value. Case in point. The dealer wants $520,000 for the boat. However, on the used market, they are only $325,000 to $400,000 approx. So obviously we would buy used, if we go this direction.

It is at odds with my desire to have a Top Shelf brand such as Intrepid, Grady, Pursuit, SeaVee, Worldcat, etc. All those brands appreciate after purchase. Lol But I wasn’t ever going to spend $520,000 on a new boat, so paying mid $300’s for a Regal, that has already depreciated might not be a bad way to go.

So please critique the boat below. Be brutal if you must! Lol

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Plus : Nice layout and very usable. Good day boat
minus : it’s a Regal. Maybe a notch above Bayliner as far as resale. They simply do not have the name or resale down the road. Would be great to buy as a used lower priced toy.

PS. I couldn’t imagine paying 500k for a regal.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The ONLY thing that I don't like is the frontal view appearance being asymmetrical. If I owned it, or was at the helm, don't think I'd even notice. Perfect overnighter, and has some go. Out of my league, but really a bitchin cruiser.

Jay Dub

Reaction score
Very nice layout. Its a little out of my price range. I'd rock it all day if you could "de-badge" it. Seriously though, really nice.

The Capt

Capt. SF fireboat, St. Francis
Reaction score
Don’t like the windows on the side! Port holes are ok. Go into the larger marinas that have this type of boat and you will see broken windows being replaced. The “guest or friend” puts the fender on the window and OOPS! Seen quite a few of this “new” look boats with broken windows and some of these window are BIG.

Dr Rob

Reaction score
Today, I went to my local dealership to look at a 31‘ Chris Craft Calypso. It was nice.

But I looked over and saw the Regal 33 SAV also in the showroom. I climbed all over it. I didn’t think I would like it, but I was surprised how many boxes it checked for my wife and I.

We both liked the drop down TV. There have been many times at the sandbar, whereas it would have been nice to have the Dolphins game on.

We both like the separate shower in head.

With motors up, it’s draft is only 21”.

Heres the negative. It appears that these boats do not hold their value. Case in point. The dealer wants $520,000 for the boat. However, on the used market, they are only $325,000 to $400,000 approx. So obviously we would buy used, if we go this direction.

It is at odds with my desire to have a Top Shelf brand such as Intrepid, Grady, Pursuit, SeaVee, Worldcat, etc. All those brands appreciate after purchase. Lol But I wasn’t ever going to spend $520,000 on a new boat, so paying mid $300’s for a Regal, that has already depreciated might not be a bad way to go.

So please critique the boat below. Be brutal if you must! Lol

How does this compare to the Sea Ray 370 sport cruiser in the other thread? That thing was gorgeous.

Backlash

Reaction score
Seems to me like you could find a gently used comparable boat from Sea Ray, Formula or any other brand name for less..... Granted they wouldn't be a walk-around like the Regal, but you'd be saving a boatload of cash too.

Groper

Reaction score
Whoa that's a lot of $$$$$$ for a Boat in that category of mfg's.
Are going to trailer it or put it in a slip ?
Do you need a shallow draft for your area ?
For that kind of $$$$ you can have something with a pair of Cummins and a 12-14' beam.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Top end wake boats are $300k. A used one of these at $300k seems like a decent buy.

clarence

Reaction score
Seems to me like you could find a gently used comparable boat from Sea Ray, Formula or any other brand name for less..... Granted they wouldn't be a walk-around like the Regal, but you'd be saving a boatload of cash too.

$520k is very near new Formula 330 Crossover Bowrider (walk-around) money.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
There are 2 manufacturers in which you get an added bonus of being an automatic member of their boating club.

Intrepid and Worldcat

Both of these groups have many regattas a get togethers.

Worldcat has a huge spring fling in Bimini, while Intrepid has many local raft ups.

The problem with the Regal is that it is not known for using top of the line fittings and other hardware. It seems to me that there are a lot of things that can break, which could make it a never ending maintenance problem. The more it has, the more that can break. The A/C, generator, and all the power actuators come to mind.

The Regal also has a higher than average profile and appears to be top heavy. This gives the boat 2 problems. It becomes a sail in the wind. Also, it’s high center of gravity will probably make extremely tippy in rough seas, making for the need of a gyro stabilizer. I don’t actually know this…….. it’s just speculation on my part.

The Capt

Capt. SF fireboat, St. Francis
Reaction score
This is what I have and love it! 2007 Sabre 34 twin Volvo D6 diesel motors 370 hp each. Full throttle 30 knots. Cruise at 20 knots and save some fuel. 2 AC units 2 refrigerators, 2 burner stove and a queen bed. Not to mention radar, chart plotter, shower and head. Added bonus bow and stern thrusters. And it’s great in the Calif. delta. Sleep on this boat then cruise the delta in the Eliminator! And like Clarence said “does it check the proud to own” hell yes. Or you can buy a boat that’s ugly as hell and let’s in lots of natural light thru all the side windows and hope they never give way.

Attachments

• 928448D3-2842-4D4C-BD4D-153FAC663FF5.jpeg
    928448D3-2842-4D4C-BD4D-153FAC663FF5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Honestly, I’d do an Axopar for way less $$$ and probably not see the same amount of depreciation.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
This is what I have and love it! 2007 Sabre 34 twin Volvo D6 diesel motors 370 hp each. Full throttle 30 knots. Cruise at 20 knots and save some fuel. 2 AC units 2 refrigerators, 2 burner stove and a queen bed. Not to mention radar, chart plotter, shower and head. Added bonus bow and stern thrusters. And it’s great in the Calif. delta. Sleep on this boat then cruise the delta in the Eliminator! And like Clarence said “does it check the proud to own” hell yes. Or you can buy a boat that’s ugly as hell and let’s in lots of natural light thru all the side windows and hope they never give way.
I am not looking for a cabin cruiser.

However, I will be captaining a 44 Sabre this weekend. Just a coincidence to your post.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
Having recently spent some time on a Grady White (326 Canyon), this seems to be a center console with a larger head/galley area. The lack of symmetry on this boat would bother more (OCD) but also from the standpoint that you are only going to have port side of the boat to easily tie up at a dock.

It seems like you are already keen on quality of materials and fit/finish which I can't comment on for a Regal but I have to say Grady White's fit and finish is flat out top notch. I'm sure that is the same for all higher-reputation builders. The head/galley area has a cool layout as you mentioned but some of the finishes look like after thoughts (mirrors stood out to me).

Overall if it checks the boxes and you are happy with the fit/finish of the boat, I wouldn't be deterred but that is some serious coin to drop without having that pride of ownership.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
The Chris Craft is a nice one. My business partner has a 34' Chris Craft Catalina with Triple Mercs. I ran it once and was really suprised, great build quality. It was a nice boat. Due to the hurricane, it's currently resting on the rocks in the yard of his water front home on Captiva Island. Sucks big time.

clarence

Reaction score

The Intrepid 345 Valor looks nice.

Not walk-around though.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
My wife and I have looked at the 345 and 327 Valor.

The Intrepid group/club is the group we know the best. Their group attends the same live music establishment we frequent every weekend. We already know this is a fun group to belong to.

The negative to the Intrepid Valor is neither of us want to walk the bow. We are getting older and will continue to do so. For instance…… You cannot anchor near the reefs that are just offshore. You have to use a mooring ball, so that the reef is not damaged by anchors. That means one of us is going to go on bow to hook mooring ball. That’s one of our reasons for wanting bow seating.

AEA

Reaction score
My wife and I have looked at the 345 and 327 Valor.

The Intrepid group/club is the group we know the best. Their group attends the same live music establishment we frequent every weekend. We already know this is a fun group to belong to.

The negative to the Intrepid Valor is neither of us want to walk the bow. We are getting older and will continue to do so. For instance…… You cannot anchor near the reefs that are just offshore. You have to use a mooring ball, so that the reef is not damaged by anchors. That means one of us is going to go on bow to hook mooring ball. That’s one of our reasons for wanting bow seating.
I can't get past the looks, not my style.

spectras only

Reaction score
Knew someone with a Hinckley. Great boat and quality build. Do they make a open bow version yet? Maybe smaller than this.

yysw295974.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I like World Cats - I am thinking of getting a 23.5 for local running around here.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
There is no shortage of boats to check out.

I must admit…… I am enjoying the search.

It’s funny, you always know the boat you would pick, if you only upped the budget. In my case, with a 600k budget, I am pretty sure could narrow it down. Lol

Random stuff that is important to us.

Every possible “Easy” buttons. This means windlass anchor, joystick controller, ceiling controllers for all hardtop functions. (I am sick and tired of climbing onto my hardtop to raise vhf antenna and adjust mooring light post.) Other stuff on this list could be a bow thruster. Not that need it with a joystick, but why not. If the boat is light enough, I would consider a power pole. I can see my self adding Jack plates to control motor height without having to tilt the control out of them. This is for going shallow.

Must have radar and autopilot. Autopilot is the only upgrade I can think of that actually pays for itself. It does this in fuel savings. You cannot use a compass and drive your boat straight to the Bahamas, nearly as straight as the autopilot will take you.

We need to draft under 2’. Solely because this just opens up so many more places you can take the boat in the keys and Bahamas. You will never be playing in sand as far as the eye sees on sandbanks with a deep draft boat. This is where the Worldcat shines.

If the boat is too big, the bars and restaurants can become a pain in the ass. My favorite, The Southport Raw Bar, barely fits my 30’ boat in their slips. But Ill get a 35 docked……. If I have too. Lol

Boats we have considered……

Picnic Boats
Pilothouse Boats
European Day Boats
Top Tier Dual Consoles
A one off custom build that just happens to be for sale.

One last thing……. I just put my HOA on notice, of my intent, to install a fixed elevator boat lift on my dock. Nothing wrong with my floating boatlift, but the elevator lift is truly the “Easy“ button. I am guessing it will take 9 months to get a fixed boat lift permit. Seriously, it’s that ridiculous.