WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

CRL waterspot removal on gel coat

c_land

Reaction score
we have a boat that typically stays in the water on a dock for the weekend whenever we are out at the river house. After a few days in the water it gets pretty hammered by water spots especially in the darker areas of the gel coat.

I typically pull the boat out before I leave, wash, then use vinegar/hot sauce while drying followed by a coat of spray wax. I still have some stubborn water spots that don’t come out with the usual method.

I came across CRL while looking for a solution to remove water spots that doesn’t involve thousands of dollars in deinoized water systems and detailing equipment.

Does anyone have experience with this with use on gelcoat or a marine application?
It’s got hydrochloric/flouric acid in it at small %. I’m no chemist but that sounds potentially caustic lol

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/s...381&History=39324:4308:4323:4333&ModelID=4381

4Waters

Reaction score
Straight vinegar doesn't get it off?!

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Foamy Shower Power or Lime Away work well also just hit it with a wax afterwards.

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
I do this.
4 parts distilled water from gallon jugs
1 part vinegar
Couple drops of dawn soap (acts as a surface cleaner lubricant)
Mix in spray bottle
Spray and wipe.
let it stay wet to soften/dissolve spots
Stubborn spots need to be wet longer for the vinegar to work
I sometimes wet a rag and wipe and keep wet with this.
Wipe dry and shine/buff with dry towel.
add a protectant afterwards.

4Waters

Reaction score
I do this.
4 parts distilled water from gallon jugs
1 part vinegar
Couple drops of dawn soap (acts as a surface cleaner lubricant)
Mix in spray bottle
Spray and wipe.
let it stay wet to soften/dissolve spots
Stubborn spots need to be wet longer for the vinegar to work
I sometimes wet a rag and wipe and keep wet with this.
Wipe dry and shine/buff with dry towel.
add a protectant afterwards.
I do almost exactly that, I do 50% vinegar 50% distilled water and a cap full of carwash soap in a spray bottle, boat looks great when I'm done. Dawn/dish soap strips wax, I figure the vinegar doesn't need any help stripping the wax off.

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
I do almost exactly that, I do 50% vinegar 50% distilled water and a cap full of carwash soap in a spray bottle, boat looks great when I'm done. Dawn/dish soap strips wax, I figure the vinegar doesn't need any help stripping the wax off.
Yes on the wax removal, I’m involved in crew rowing and help care for many newer boat shells and they cannot be waxed, so I overlook that aspect.

c_land

Reaction score
Straight vinegar doesn't get it off?!

The thing gets hammered. Always a few days of people getting out of the water on the swim step and over the transom, all that water drips off directly onto the black and orange gel on the back. THEN it bakes in the direct sunlight. It looks like layers of mineral deposits at the end of a weekend.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
The thing gets hammered. Always a few days of people getting out of the water on the swim step and over the transom, all that water drips off directly onto the black and orange gel on the back. THEN it bakes in the direct sunlight. It looks like layers of mineral deposits at the end of a weekend.
2 words........Ceramic Coating.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

steak&lobster

aka rclvlhc
Reaction score
Or you can bring your boat to Detail Specialties at the Islander 928-706-5339 and get it ceramic coated . . .

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I've tried it all.
Meguiars swirl/scratch remover worked for me.
Took two applications.
0070382071035_A1C1_0600.png