WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cross country trip....

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
South Dakota you going to? Ever since Deadwood came out I have wanted to go there. Please take pics if you go. I would love to stay in the Bullock hotel. I realize all the original structures burned down but I still want to go.

Sturgis. Been there many times but this path is a new one for me. There will be plenty of pics from Sturgis. I love Deadwood. Cool town

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Lots of great riding in that area, and lots of biker friendly bars to check out in some of the small towns. Decent HD shop in Sioux City. Lots of summer bike events, here’s one you might want to check out, should be fairly close:

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Lots of great riding in that area, and lots of biker friendly bars to check out in some of the small towns. Decent HD shop in Sioux City. Lots of summer bike events, here’s one you might want to check out, should be fairly close:

perfect. Thanks

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Dinner ;)
CB8E71C8-8462-48E8-95F5-553805002D33.jpeg

DILLIGAF

Reaction score

i just looked. Harlen is about 1.5 hours away.

lots of bikes in the campground. I suspect they are heading to Sturgis

i will drop the bike tomorrow and check out some corn fields ;)

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
i just looked. Harlen is about 1.5 hours away.

lots of bikes in the campground. I suspect they are heading to Sturgis

i will drop the bike tomorrow and check out some corn fields ;)

Lots of desolate 2 lane. Watch for muddy tractor tracks coming out of fields, and for deer around sunset- they shouldn’t be too active yet but they will definitely be out there. The worst part will be the bugs, but shouldn’t be too bad on a bagger. Law enforcement will usually allow 5-10 over, but don’t be running 70 on the rural 55mph highways. Real biker friendly area, and the backroads are mostly in a grid pattern, so don’t usually have to worry about getting lost.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Lots of desolate 2 lane. Watch for muddy tractor tracks coming out of fields, and for deer around sunset- they shouldn’t be too active yet but they will definitely be out there. The worst part will be the bugs, but shouldn’t be too bad on a bagger. Law enforcement will usually allow 5-10 over, but don’t be running 70 on the rural 55mph highways. Real biker friendly area, and the backroads are mostly in a grid pattern, so don’t usually have to worry about getting lost.

i will get out there and see what's up. No bags or windshield for me. I gotta find a few of this off the beaten path bars. Always interesting

One2go

Reaction score
Love the thread.... I keep showing the wife the small un crowded rv parks and HH ,you have found. That's probably the most difficult thing we come across when Rv Ing ,finding the cool not crowded places to stay. Need you to write a list. Lol

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Love the thread.... I keep showing the wife the small un crowded rv parks and HH ,you have found. That's probably the most difficult thing we come across when Rv Ing ,finding the cool not crowded places to stay. Need you to write a list. Lol

get out of the West number 1. Most are found by circumstance. It can be unnerving not to plan every day but they turn out to be the best trips. HH is intended for while you are transit to somewhere else but that one I found in Hayesville NC has been my highlight stay. Absolutely beautiful there. I will spend more time in NC next year for sure.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Good thing that the storm missed you a couple fo day ago. I missed any reference of your knee the last couple of days. How is that going? You back to almost 100%?

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Good thing that the storm missed you a couple fo day ago. I missed any reference of your knee the last couple of days. How is that going? You back to almost 100%?

Thanks.....The knee is no issue at all. No pain, swelling or anything. The "good" knee is sore a lot but it needs scoped and cleaned out. I will probably get that handled in TX or AZ before the end of the year. I could not be happier with that knee replacement.

Ya....that Omaha storm....Watching the local news they had gusts up to 96MPH.....I was south about 30 miles when it hit, drove thru the day after and now am north of it. It was like threading a needle.

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
There is a reason it is called the "Heartland". It is great to follow along, thank you for all of the updates.

When we travel west from Michigan, the Missouri river is such a defining mark as to the change in landscape, more so to the north in South Dakota.

Again, thanks for the pictures and safe travels!

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Thanks.....The knee is no issue at all. No pain, swelling or anything. The "good" knee is sore a lot but it needs scoped and cleaned out. I will probably get that handled in TX or AZ before the end of the year. I could not be happier with that knee replacement.

Ya....that Omaha storm....Watching the local news they had gusts up to 96MPH.....I was south about 30 miles when it hit, drove thru the day after and now am north of it. It was like threading a needle.

Great news on the knee. I know a few people that had the bad knee done only realize the other was not far along behind it. Good to hear that it worked out.

On the storm front. Good that you were far enough away. It is crazy to see the damage that wind can do. We have that in Hawaii often. We also went through Moore OK 3 weeks after the tornado touched down There years back. The damage was mind blowing. Full sized trucks blown on top of houses. You stay safe out there and keep the pics posting.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
You’ve hit what appears to be some real jems on your travels. Great thread, thanks for taking us along. The short stories of the people you meet are a cool read.

thanks. I havent put up all the stories. Most are just very normal interactions. Everybody has a story though…that is very true

DILLIGAF

Reaction score

by the way I do use the rvparky app quite a bit. Easy to use than some of the others and accurate with reviews

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
So….I just scored big time. The guy that was in the far corner with views of the lake out back left. I loaded my rig up and moved over here. This is the view now from the back. Roxy and I will be hanging on the back patio ;)

I will post one off the deck after a beer or two but this is our back yard.

9AD0303B-E84D-4CF4-A115-C2616F0DA695.jpeg
ACA25BE7-83B6-48C7-9365-97CE8775C5C6.jpeg
449ACBFE-ED36-489D-BDA9-6DCDB22C6A1C.jpeg
3498953D-AE78-4309-A991-B9DDC2E83178.jpeg
503B56C1-C554-41B2-9ACB-1E2971C2F23B.jpeg
BE376D30-18F4-423B-94F2-0EE5173AD21B.jpeg

RichL

Reaction score

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I have heard this but now know it to be 100% true. Always go into a private, city, county, state or federal RV campground on Sunday afternoons. The weekenders go home and all the good spots are available to grab. Private places usually take reservations but the others are usually first come first serve. Also with a one to two week max stay. I am going to start working it ;)

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Had a real nice conversation with a retired military man last night. He was fishing but didnt catch anything but he didnt seem to mind. I asked if they had the Asian Carp in here and he said no but the sister lake has been drained to eliminate them. They are those damn fish that jump as you go by in a boat which causes problems plus they eat everything. Big problem out here I guess.

he was stationed at Fort Ord CA and also Fort Sill OK When we were there. My father was a CWO in supply. When this vet was at FO he was in basic training and went into supply as his mos. my father probably trained him but his memories of FO were somewhat minimal as he was only there 8 weeks. He eventually became a Sargent and spent most of his career in Alaska. Ended up serving 15 years before a full disability retirement was given to him.

went on and told me about what to look out for, where not to go etc. he grew up here and came back after retirement. Told me about the past rich military history of the area. Also told me the Viet Nam Memorial is here closeby and I will go pay my respects. Suggested to hit Yankton and check it out.

We both agreed that the world was in a tailspin but we didnt dwell on it. We are realistic and do have hope the ship can be straightened out.

i enjoy these talks with locals.

anyhow….good day coming up as I will go check out Yankton. A storm is coming in tonight into tomorrow. Hopefully it isnt to severe and that the worst part is NE of us. Sounds like a good day to make some crock pot chicken ;)

sitting outside having my morning cup of coffee as the sun rises.

oh….slept with the deck open last night to let cool air in. Made sure I slept with my big baseball bat ;) nearby just in case

5F97BD1C-E4E3-4D96-9848-FF839E1F341E.jpeg

outboard_256

Reaction score
You find some really nice camp sites. I am used to seeing people stacked in 5 feet apart from each other. You get tired of the KOA parking lots and just staring at other RV's when you look out the window.

j21black

Reaction score
Hiawasse and Clayton are pretty cool little towns.

Rode my bike to the GA State Fairgrounds Saturday as they were having a British Bike Rally. Nortons, BSAs, etc. pretty cool old bikes there. Not my style but can appreciate it.

while there a local and I talked for about 30 minutes or so. Retired safety manager and ex navy. He told me where the best rides were and gave me his number to call if i needed anything while out here. He even told me his wife is an excellent cook and I have a standing invite to dinner. Nice people out here.

they also had a day long bluegrass concert deal going on for 25. to get in and lots of bands. I didnt stick around for it but I am sure it was a good time.

So near Perry, GA?

Wife and kids are headed there on Saturday - I may go mid week next week and meet them. Undecided at this point.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
You find some really nice camp sites. I am used to seeing people stacked in 5 feet apart from each other. You get tired of the KOA parking lots and just staring at other RV's when you look out the window.

KOA and the like are a no go for me....very unappealing

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
So near Perry, GA?

Wife and kids are headed there on Saturday - I may go mid week next week and meet them. Undecided at this point.

I don't remember a Perry GA.....It is where GA and NC meet....Hayesville NC area. The GA border is right there

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
So near Perry, GA?

Perry?? Horse show ?? Big complex at the fair grounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Took a drive to Yankton SD today which is apx 65 miles away. Left Iowa, thru Nebraska and then entered SD....lol Took the off the beaten path going and took a straight shot back. The way up was beautiful past farms and little towns.

I went to a little "malt shop" or whatever you want to call it. Been there forever and I forgot the name. Maybe 10-15 seats in there and everybody there was in their 80's. The girls working were all high school age and reminded me of cheerleaders Very sweet girls. The men there were all drinking coffee with an older women eating a burger sitting by herself. Keep in mind it was about 11:30. I ordered a chicken sandwich and fries to go so Roxy and I could go check out the river. As I was waiting I started to read all the press clippings on the wall. I guess the owner never charged more than 5 cents for a cup of coffee and this was over 30 years or so. I asked the girls what was the price of coffee and they said now it is .25 cents. Norman Rockwell kind of deal going on in here.

Got the sandwich and headed out. Sat in the truck looking at the river and eating lunch. The sandwich was excellent. I decided to talk Roxy for a walk over the river bridge to the other side. Its an old bridge and see the one picture of what I saw. YIKES! A young girl walking her dog saw me taking the picture of the cracks and told me her Dad worked on the bridge and he said that it is strictly cosmetic and don't worry....lol I don't know about that. There are two levels to the bridge. Roxy and I stayed on the bottom bridge across and back. It was high enough for me...lol There were locks....hundreds at a minimum and probably a thousand of more all over the fencing. Many with names etched in them etc. She told me that most of that is kind of like the bridge in Paris.....damn if I know but it was kind of weird to me.

Anyhow.....the town is a cool little spot and if ever going by you should stop in and check it all out.

I would probably allow more time next time thru. I enjoyed it

Here are some pics

A4A5185A-0976-404E-9E23-07CBCCBCE024.jpeg
963A1FAE-7F21-495E-BEB6-9ECEF17C5095.jpeg
564C42C6-42BE-4C9E-8363-41A9CDC0A893.jpeg
B2D74F28-F592-4213-A69B-1B016BAD156E.jpeg
348806D7-7773-4588-A79E-EA6896D2637B.jpeg
P
1BDA3E7E-0DEF-4E86-A9BB-BDE320EA5A75.jpeg
1C1329DE-B89C-4229-A20A-264C6EE9316A.jpeg
625A401E-EE7E-4AD4-A359-F5F82CE7E04A.jpeg
FD76DDED-7775-4B2E-A4EE-6ED3BE9FC346.jpeg
04D72A52-C855-44C5-86C6-83C3B452167B.jpeg

Last edited:

j21black

Reaction score
I don't remember a Perry GA.....It is where GA and NC meet....Hayesville NC area. The GA border is right there

Not there then, but I always knew the state fairgrounds to be in Perry, GA.

I could be mistaken though.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Not there then, but I always knew the state fairgrounds to be in Perry, GA.

I could be mistaken though.

i am beginning to think I mistook the fairgrounds place and it is NOT the GA state fairgrounds

j21black

Reaction score
i am beginning to think I mistook the fairgrounds place and it is NOT the GA state fairgrounds

No big deal.

I may PM you sometime to talk about toy haulers. Currently looking at them.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Storm wasnt too bad this AM but more coming this afternoon. Rain all day so….

decided to do the dirty deed of travel and hitting the launder-mat. I gotta tell you this is the cleanest one I have ever been to.

express Laundry in Sioux City. Almost brand new washers and dryers and no scumbags around.

i am prewired for the washer and dryer in the trailer but would not be able to fit my bike if i added them. If I get ride of the bike some day I will be putting them in.

anyhow…carry on

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
Alot of clean, close knit farming communities in that area just to the north. My buddy's son goes to school there and also has family that runs several large dairy operations. Most out there would give you a tour if you stopped in I'd wager.