WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cross country trip....

Water Romper

Reaction score
Probably best not to tell them that you want the pictures "for the inmates."
Although the reactions might be entertaining.
haha,...and wear your orange jump suit and tell them your on a "little road trip" šŸ˜†

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Ok. Rode the bike today. Here is a little bit
01B7B09C-46A5-4C6F-B6BD-791925853705.jpeg
CB34EE21-070F-4B5C-8AC0-0411512A85A8.jpeg
CEF7788D-3E47-400E-AC8B-D17F5C786457.jpeg

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
This is awesome! How are you liking Harvest Hosts?

We are taking a trip in 2 months, going to make a loop from here in New Mexico, east to LOTO, up thru Iowa, then thru South Dakota, up to glacier, down around flathead lake, yellowstone, etc then back someway to New Mexico. Going to spend ~4 weeks doing it in the motorhome.

I am not a "campgrounder" and Harvest hosts seems interesting, any feedback you can give me would be great!

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

We are taking a trip in 2 months, going to make a loop from here in New Mexico, east to LOTO, up thru Iowa, then thru South Dakota, up to glacier, down around flathead lake, yellowstone, etc then back someway to New Mexico. Going to spend ~4 weeks doing it in the motorhome.

I am not a "campgrounder" and Harvest hosts seems interesting, any feedback you can give me would be great!

Until now I hadn't heard of Harvest Hosts. Seems like a good program. Any input from those using it?

Tom, I'm enjoying this thread. Feel free to include tips as I can learn from your experience (and others).

DILLIGAF

Reaction score

I only stayed there once and liked it. Suits the purpose quite well. It for me is only while moving to a new place and need a stopover along the way for a night with no hook ups or anything like that. Its definitely bringing value for the places you can stay. I also got the golf dealio as an ad on....probably won't play much golf but will frequent the clubhouse for a dinner and drinks or breakfast.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Until now I hadn't heard of Harvest Hosts. Seems like a good program. Any input from those using it?

Tom, I'm enjoying this thread. Feel free to include tips as I can learn from your experience (and others).

harvesthosts.com

I recommend them instead of stopping over in an RV park, truck stop or walmart for the night while on the move.

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
Adios Texas

You Gotta A Long way to La.
See if the sell Thirty Packs....Next State is A short run though Miss Check there Too Please....Call me to night GULF PORT Stay Right in the Tunnel As Soon as you get to Light...LONG Snaking Bitch Scary pulling a 40 Plus Trailer
Any way Battle Ship Park is Right After the Tunnel....WELL Worth the 1.00 Park Entrance
You can go on the Ship and Submarine NUC for a charge LOADS of Parking....
Ill Suggest the Trip over the Bridge to FLA....Ive got a KILLER Route just East of Tallahassee

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
You Gotta A Long way to La.
See if the sell Thirty Packs....Next State is A short run though Miss Check there Too Please....Call me to night GULF PORT Stay Right in the Tunnel As Soon as you get to Light...LONG Snaking Bitch Scary pulling a 40 Plus Trailer
Any way Battle Ship Park is Right After the Tunnel....WELL Worth the 1.00 Park Entrance
You can go on the Ship and Submarine NUC for a charge LOADS of Parking....
Ill Suggest the Trip over the Bridge to FLA....Ive got a KILLER Route just East of Tallahassee

already in LA ;)

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Living the road life! Nice. How about fuel costs? Other road expenses?

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Alright....the last two weeks I stayed in Boerne TX at this place:

Top of the Hill Resort & Cabins | RV Resort Boerne TX (topofthehillrvresort.com)

Nice park and although close to the freeway it wasn't an issue. Some FT people there and a lot of families come in for a day or two on their way to somewhere else. Nice laundry and shower facilities there but I didn't use them.

I posted up about the storms coming thru and it got hairy for a night or two. Alls well that ended well....lots of big winds and torrential rain but no hail or tornado for us. We dodged a huge bullet.

Got to meet up with Joel AKA ACE in The Hole and his beautiful family. They had previously helped out by getting my brother in law water while that ice storm went on. He definitely saved them from some serious problems.

Rode the bike out to Luckenbach via the back roads and it was awesome. About 45min to an hour away. The back roads are mostly ranches with lots of trees and rolling hills. Very pretty and hardly any traffic so there was no rush or anything. For me that was a highlight of the stay. There is a country song about Luckenbach that I am sure you all have heard at one time or another....well its about this little place. Lots of history there. I liked it so much I also took a ride out there in the truck with Roxy. Roxy was a hit with everybody. There was a lady walking a goat around like a dog and it had on clothes and a little derby type hat. Roxy was fascinated by the goat and couldn't keep her eyes off it. I asked if she could meet the goat and the owner said yes. When Roxy approached the goat keep dropping her head down to gently head butt Roxy. The first time I pulled Roxy back as I thought the goat was going to hurt her....lol That wasn't the case as it was being very gentle so I let them hang for a bit. The owner told me the goat was just letting Roxy know if she doesn't start anything she won't kick her ass.....lol

Had some pretty good country music playing on stage. They have some pretty good musicians come in from time to time and is a family oriented place that a lot of bikers frequent as their watering hole. Strongly suggest checking it all out of you get the chance.

Another cool historic place we went to was Gruene TX. We drove thru the hills and it was an awesome hour drive. Just like the ride to Luckenbach it had lots of trees, ranches and rolling hills but more residential area. All nice and well taken care of. Gruene has the oldest dance hall in Texas and we hit that up for beers with Ace in The Hole and family. Parking was a bitch as the locals had been holed up for a number of days from storms and so forth and the weather that day was about 90 maybe.....so everybody was enjoying the nice weather. Took us about 30 minutes to find parking. Lots of Harleys, tourists, locals, cowboys, college aged people, older people and families. Very nice place to go and have some clean fun etc. The have really big C&W musicians play here and is a nice small venue with plenty of room for dancing if you want to.

After having a few beers and sharing stories with Ace we went to have lunch. The lunch was great. I ordered the chicken fried steak as that is what they are known for and it was good with lots of gravy. Tried a local brewed blonde beer....not for me but I drank it up. We sat outside under a nice canopy of trees. Very relaxing but I was overstuffed with the beers and CFS....lol Said our goodbyes to Ace and family and headed home. We took the fwy this time.....would always rather take the back roads but we got home.

Next trip I will spend more time in Gruene....awesome place with lots of activity.

The thing about Texas is everybody....almost all....are so friendly and polite. Remember I was staying outside of big cities which I have no desire to visit and it might be different there. Seriously, all the kids were "Yes sir" "No sir" when they spoke to you. A nice change and gives you hope for the future.

All in all a great visit although I wish I would have done more exploring but next time I will for sure. I did take a random 4 hour drive thru other areas and really enjoyed it. Just a nice leisurely pace.

Most of the time was spent visiting with my sister and BIL.

Here are some pics I got.

F5A9F937-8980-48A7-BC51-B226E56AA197.jpeg
7A1583EF-42AB-4783-B5D1-66B5E4C13D24.jpeg
4B25154A-E63B-4599-9C9C-392C7674BC91.jpeg
B89C4B86-39FF-4B2E-8044-78B5A2A32D59.jpeg
ECB2F9D4-4B29-4F14-8167-74AB8464B4F4.jpeg
7ED493D4-5928-466B-98E6-6EF2808402F9.jpeg
417C27AE-9249-4054-B5D2-24A512B5A6E3.jpeg
F184EE44-6B50-4508-971B-3E37B40B014F.jpeg
93C6CDF8-1A0D-4C16-A680-E9CD13C5E249.jpeg
B80C0FDE-7AF5-4DFA-8363-3C0D33270360.jpeg
889CEFD9-9390-4E84-A631-953F65F939CA.jpeg
CC75ABC0-6CC8-45CC-9EFB-8673274539DA.jpeg
3EA6A727-7636-48D2-A816-F747E74DAF2D.jpeg
1C52C5DD-1EDE-4296-8AE6-F7AFED1EF33D.jpeg

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Some music in Gruene

WYRD

Reaction score
Love this thread, post up some nightly pricing for the parks as you stay in them. Would like to know the average cost for the different areas

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Another cool historic place we went to was Gruene TX. We drove thru the hills and it was an awesome hour drive. Just like the ride to Luckenbach it had lots of trees, ranches and rolling hills but more residential area. All nice and well taken care of. Gruene has the oldest dance hall in Texas and we hit that up for beers with Ace in The Hole and family. Parking was a bitch as the locals had been holed up for a number of days from storms and so forth and the weather that day was about 90 maybe.....so everybody was enjoying the nice weather. Took us about 30 minutes to find parking. Lots of Harleys, tourists, locals, cowboys, college aged people, older people and families. Very nice place to go and have some clean fun etc. The have really big C&W musicians play here and is a nice small venue with plenty of room for dancing if you want to.

After having a few beers and sharing stories with Ace we went to have lunch. The lunch was great. I ordered the chicken fried steak as that is what they are known for and it was good with lots of gravy. Tried a local brewed blonde beer....not for me but I drank it up. We sat outside under a nice canopy of trees. Very relaxing but I was overstuffed with the beers and CFS....lol Said our goodbyes to Ace and family and headed home. We took the fwy this time.....would always rather take the back roads but we got home.
Pleasure was ours, we had a good time with you guys. I think Brianna is already trying to figure out a day to have Jen/Robert over to bbq. I'm glad we were able to connect, and that you enjoyed Gruene..it's a lot of the reason why we chose to live where we do.

If any of you guys get the chance to link up with Tom, he's an ass hole....I'm kidding, absolutely one of the nicest guys (don't tell him I said that) you will ever meet. The girls definitely look forward to the next time we cross paths. MaK definitely enjoyed playing peekaboo and hi-5! The offer on RV hookups at Havasu is there..don't hesitate to hit us up! Safe travels my friend, enjoy your journey, hopefully we can link up in MT this summer.

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
The odds of meeting a guy who goes by "Ace in the Hole" at Gruene Hall...šŸ‘šŸ¼šŸ‘šŸ¼

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Headed out from TX expecting some pretty violent and nasty weather on my drive east but it never happened. I guess a cold front came from the North and took away all the nasty stuff. Pretty easy 8-9 hour drive. I could have went another 4-5 hours if I had wanted to. Leaving TX the area East of San Antonio is actually very pretty. Lots of trees and greenery and I wasn't expecting that. Roads were actually very well maintained in most spots with some construction going on. I did have to slam on the breaks at one point but no issue. Also got to see some fighter jets running around just east of San Antonio.....always love seeing that.

I am finding out that being off the grid isn't quite as easy as in the Western States. I didnt really like the HH options either. After about a 8-9 hour drive with a couple of pee breaks for Roxy I ended up staying at Cajun Palms RV Park in Lafayette LA for the night. Huge park with somewhere like 400-500 spaces. The couple next to me started a conversation when I pulled up. They were from FL and heading back after a long trip themselves. They have a 45' Prevost with 4 AC units. He said they bought it at auction and the previous owner was a drug smuggler that got popped smuggling in the coach. I asked if he looked in every nook and cranny.....lol We talked and laughed for about 10 minutes or so. I was setting up and it was obvious that were heading out to dinner. They asked me if I wanted them to bring anything back for me. I politely declined but am amazed at the friendly people on the road. They loved Roxy as she sat outside and just listened to our conversation. Wagged her tail and got the quiet attention she wanted. Roxy loves traveling and meeting people.

The park wasn't busy at all and it was quite a facility. I had a 65' pull thru site on a corner lot. They did it up right here for sure. If you have a family with kids they would love it here. See the web site for all the stuff they have here.

Cajun Palms - Home

So.....went to dinner at the place in the pics. Sat at the bar and talked to a young couple that have 4 kids 2-9.....tonight was their date night. Very pleasant to talk to and are locals that have traveled. Their 9 year old has won the Crawfish pageant the last two times....problem is they have cancelled all the related things that come with that like TV interviews, working local events, etc all due to Covid. They are not in the Covid scared realm and think it is screwing up so many kids. I really enjoyed talking with them and at all times they were very respectful and easily laughed. Humble people.....

Didn't know what to order but said F IT.....bring on some fried alligator, a crawfish enchilada and a baked potato. Also ordered their house special drink which was refreshing but had 3 or 4 different rums in it. Actually was good but after that fell back to my ole staple BL.

The food and service was excellent. It is right outside the RV park but I drove to it as I was in the back of the park.

Don't know exactly where I will stop along the way today......

So far my hope for the good ole USA is gaining positive momentum.

PICS:

24A2207D-868D-4776-9FC1-0FB2470DBEF2.jpeg
2BAE57E0-7260-48A6-A712-49B5E07428F3.jpeg
2F6419E4-B2B6-42D0-9298-C3E4413EA283.jpeg
C3DD4DEE-C53E-4972-BBA9-B8102CA401DF.jpeg
CE9FE2E9-B13B-485D-A8DF-7D3E8AD8131C.jpeg
84BF2FFA-5CFB-40D7-A50E-42E2D3F5FEA3.jpeg
30CB750F-1F4C-454E-8409-D44298C08CEC.jpeg

So....this AM a bit groggy and needing that coffee. as Willie says

boatnam2

Reaction score
How is ole biloxi? My buddy and his wife are moving there and he has his rig in Cajun she is already working at the jail as a nurse and living there in motorhome, he is back home here loading up to move. 58 year cali boy, see how long he lasts.

Water Romper

Reaction score
Awesome read!!

I have done some RV traveling myself (nothing to the extent your doing) but can relate to pulling into RV parks for the night or two, meeting fellow travelers and interacting with the locals. Sounds like your doing it right!

Glad the Texas storm didn't cause any damage, It was interesting because I was watching our local news here in Boise, ID several days ago and they were going into detail about the damage and bad weather in Texas-I actually thought of you and said to myself- "Hope the traveling RDP guy is ok"

Its good to hear the USA is still producing respectful, well mannered children. Kudos for their parents instilling the true meaning of "Well Behaved"
Your "hook Up" with Ace in the Hole (another fellow RDP'er) sounds like fun, always enjoy hearing what "other folks" do in other parts of the country- If I recall, George Straits band is called "Ace in the Hole"- not bad company if you ask me.

Enjoy hearing about the different eats, Crawfish, Alligator, sounds good to me.

Are you hitting up some of the local Historical sites, points of interest and places that "Make the State famous"? I like your staying off the "Beaton Path" and exploring the less crowded areas, your getting a true taste of the local flare, not the shit-heads usually associated with large cities.

Keep up the fun post, pictures are great. Travel Safe!!

BTW-
Luckenbach, Texas (Back to the Basics of Love)
Waylon Jennings and the "boys" (Willie Nelson, Chris Christofferson, Johnny Cash -aka The Highwaymen)

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Its good to hear the USA is still producing respectful, well mannered children. Kudos for their parents instilling the true meaning of "Well Behaved"
Your "hook Up" with Ace in the Hole (another fellow RDP'er) sounds like fun, always enjoy hearing what "other folks" do in other parts of the country- If I recall, George Straits band is called "Ace in the Hole"- not bad company if you ask me.

The Ace in the Hole Band is where the name came from, I've had a few boats named "Ace in the Hole" as well. I'm a huge fan of George...there's a sign at our house..."Unless you are God or George Strait, take your boots off" šŸ¤£

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
The Ace in the Hole Band is where the name came from, I've had a few boats named "Ace in the Hole" as well. I'm a huge fan of George...there's a sign at our house..."Unless you are God or George Strait, take your boots off" šŸ¤£
That band has a great story and quite a long running history! One unique thing is that they don't play exclusively (or haven't always) for George Strait.

I always wanted to sit in Gruene Hall with a cold beer on a cold day and stoke the woodburning stove.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
That band has a great story and quite a long running history! One unique thing is that they don't play exclusively (or haven't always) for George Strait.

I always wanted to sit in Gruene Hall with a cold beer on a cold day and stoke the woodburning stove.

yep they play independently, and its not uncommon to see members of the band playing the little venues around here. Covid kinda killed the fires last year, but hopefully they have them fired up again this fall. Gruene has been absolutely packed...I used to cut through there to run to the grocery store...can't do that now with all the people. November is a good time to come, you can hit Wurtzfest at the same time..we can walk there from our house lol.

fmo24

Reaction score
Thatā€™s a gnarly bridge the first time over. Trucks are poking along and cars are hauling ass. Just have to figure out what lane to drive in and stick to it

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Ok. Today is a bonzai run to LuckyStrikes place in FL. Going to be a long day of driving for sure.

the drive thru LA and MS was a nice drive except for around Baton Rouge. Rough roads, having to change lanes quite a bit and traffic hitting brakes.

lots of trees lining the 10 with swamps and bayous on both sides quite a bit.

i bypassed New Orleans and that added 20 min or so to the drive but again...No desire to go thru any big cities unless absolute necessary.

the bridge over the Mississippi was interesting and its hard not to look around but you have to keep your eyes on the road. Personally I DO NOT like big bridges. Lol

whats up with that damn tunnel in Mobile AL? I can see that thing filling up with water during a hurricane but wtf do I know. Pretty impressive engineering on that one.

so....all in all a good day traveling with only a few delays. Found out in MS all rest stops have 24/7 security guards. I talked to the 90 year old man in the security booth at a stop. He isnt exactly looking to physically stop anything but has a phone and AC in the booth. He mentioned that Roxy is an old dog just like him. We laughed and I said goodbye and hit the road. The rest stops are big, grassy and well maintained thru the south. Not like the ugly ones in CA...if they are even open. Get your shit together CA.

wasnt feeling the HH places available and no dispersed location to stop for the night so stayed at the Hill Top RV Park in AL. Very nice park with a lot of FT. Tight on the turns to get to my spot...had to have a guy move his truck or I was going to take it out. Lol. They gave me a corner spot...all grass and comfortable. This is good for a night stay and then hit the road. Oh...kids are welcome for an overnight stay but is considered an adult park. Paid 40. For the night.

Need to get on the road. Here are some pics from LA to AL. Flew right thru MS.
7F0A035C-FA6E-4F05-8552-A2459F04F892.jpeg
325DE326-A645-4439-BA67-FA54D244D01F.jpeg
B175C909-AA10-457C-BD54-42104A29071A.jpeg
CE19D9F6-66B3-4AA0-8C09-981992C44451.jpeg
3EA1F9E1-1C9C-4542-A17D-A8B25AEF1629.jpeg
9305FD50-5D76-4A6E-B0A6-22DF22B9B375.jpeg
E4FBB554-F593-4943-BFEB-5ACDBD494718.jpeg
9DA97E52-463B-46DF-98A8-6E8416B7B246.jpeg

Water Romper

Reaction score
No desire to stop and get some good Cajun food in LA? I always wanted to check out the "Bayous" .... closest I've ever came was the beginning of Pirates of the Caribbean ride at D-Land.
Looks like your having "Smooth Sailing" weather-wise. Good for you!
Funny how bathrooms and rest stops become an issue, especially when we are north of 50 years old. Your right, So Cal "facilities" are horrible, and forget the gas stations, Covid has nothing on what you could possible "catch" in one of them gross things.

Looking forward the see/hear what Florida has in store for you...We are all rooting for you- Safe travels, keep us posted!!

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
No desire to stop and get some good Cajun food in LA? I always wanted to check out the "Bayous" .... closest I've ever came was the beginning of Pirates of the Caribbean ride at D-Land.
Looks like your having "Smooth Sailing" weather-wise. Good for you!
Funny how bathrooms and rest stops become an issue, especially when we are north of 50 years old. Your right, So Cal "facilities" are horrible, and forget the gas stations, Covid has nothing on what you could possible "catch" in one of them gross things.

Looking forward the see/hear what Florida has in store for you...We are all rooting for you- Safe travels, keep us posted!!

Yes....I did eat some cajun food at my prior stops

clarence

Reaction score
Would have been fun to meet up with you in Boerne/Luckenbach/Gruene.

Think about letting us know where you are going to be when you next pass thru.

sprintcvx

Reaction score
Great update šŸ‘ My in laws lived in Boerne for years, such a cool little town.

Reaction score
that hilltop RV park looked nice. just like the parks I look for, full hook-ups, pull thru, grasses area's, and only $ 40. a night.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Ok. Today is a bonzai run to LuckyStrikes place in FL. Going to be a long day of driving for sure.

the drive thru LA and MS was a nice drive except for around Baton Rouge. Rough roads, having to change lanes quite a bit and traffic hitting brakes.

lots of trees lining the 10 with swamps and bayous on both sides quite a bit.

i bypassed New Orleans and that added 20 min or so to the drive but again...No desire to go thru any big cities unless absolute necessary.

the bridge over the Mississippi was interesting and its hard not to look around but you have to keep your eyes on the road. Personally I DO NOT like big bridges. Lol

whats up with that damn tunnel in Mobile AL? I can see that thing filling up with water during a hurricane but wtf do I know. Pretty impressive engineering on that one.

so....all in all a good day traveling with only a few delays. Found out in MS all rest stops have 24/7 security guards. I talked to the 90 year old man in the security booth at a stop. He isnt exactly looking to physically stop anything but has a phone and AC in the booth. He mentioned that Roxy is an old dog just like him. We laughed and I said goodbye and hit the road. The rest stops are big, grassy and well maintained thru the south. Not like the ugly ones in CA...if they are even open. Get your shit together CA.

wasnt feeling the HH places available and no dispersed location to stop for the night so stayed at the Hill Top RV Park in AL. Very nice park with a lot of FT. Tight on the turns to get to my spot...had to have a guy move his truck or I was going to take it out. Lol. They gave me a corner spot...all grass and comfortable. This is good for a night stay and then hit the road. Oh...kids are welcome for an overnight stay but is considered an adult park. Paid 40. For the night.

Need to get on the road. Here are some pics from LA to AL. Flew right thru MS.
View attachment 999999 View attachment 1000000 View attachment 1000001 View attachment 1000002 View attachment 1000003 View attachment 1000004 View attachment 1000005 View attachment 1000006
Dilly
If you are still in the great state of Alabama go by Lambert's Cafe. Trust me. Ask for a roll.

Spent some time there during my stint in bama

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Really enjoying your posts. Hope you were able to try some boudin while in Louisiana. If you like it, it's a great on the road snack while driving, or stopped. Goes extremely well with an ice cold CL or BL.