WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cross country trip....

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Tuesday surgery and today I am walking without any assistance right now. The nerve blocker has worn off. Last night was rough but I got thru it. Honestly, I am already in less pain than before this operation. I can feel the movement inside the knee I haven't felt in 15 years or so. I am just taking it at my own pace and doing what I can without pushing too hard. Still have some swelling of course but have been icing a LOT.

I am moving slow but steady. I am hoping the nurse will take off my bandage today so I can take a shower.

So far the best medical decision I have ever made in my life.

Extremely happy with it all.

I did have that talk with the TP guy and he is very experienced. He encouraged me to speak up and go as far as I can but just understand that the pain blocker will wear off and then wham. Well, I am handling that quite well so.......

The key of course is to do the basics and build on them. I am attempting to do that.

Thanks for the take.....its very spot on

That is great news to hear. I have know people who would say they would have done it sooner if they knew it would be that helpful.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
That is great news to hear. I have know people who would say they would have done it sooner if they knew it would be that helpful.

i am just shaking my head at the mistake of waiting. It affects your life in so many ways. Just sleeping on my back is amazing. I am sure so many things will become clear to me as I progress. Quality of life issue

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
i am just shaking my head at the mistake of waiting. It affects your life in so many ways. Just sleeping on my back is amazing. I am sure so many things will become clear to me as I progress. Quality of life issue

But think of it this way. You did it now rather than in 5 more years. 👍

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
My Pops had both his knees done, 6 months apart, and he was 82 at the time if I remember correctly.
Same as you, he wished he'd done it 15 years earlier.
He'll be 90 in July, and I honestly don't think he'd be around had he not had them done. Really gave him a new lease on life!
He could only stand for 10-15 minutes at a time before, and he's a tough fucker.
Only 2 minor side things, is that now when he gets up off the ground, he kinda has to do a little role-move to get up. No biggie.
And the other is, he sleeps with a pillow between his knee's, he said if the knees touch, it gives him like a 'cold' feeling in his knees, almost like a light electrical shock.
I kid with him and say, "it's probably like a battery with those 2 big chunks of titanium arc'ing across like a bettery"!
Glad things went well for you, and recovering fast. 👍

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
Tom is doing great
image-2021-05-20-14:22:15-468.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wings_of_eagles

Reaction score
Tom, keep up the good attitude, positive attitude goes far. I'm 3 months out from my right knee replacement 2/11/21. best thing I did, no more pain and will have the left knee done 7/21/21. No drugs just used the cold therapy (Don Joy iceman) almost 24/7. i'm 62, just years of sports.

Wish I could give you guys some fun updates but...just doing PT after surgery now. Getting around pretty good with some manageable pain so far. Still drug free except for the baby aspirin and some kind of steroid i finished taking this AM. I dont like taking any drugs that mask the pain. If it becomes unbearable I will but until then no Oxy shit for me. not much sleep last night but will just nape today.

full knee replacement takes a bit to get thru

View attachment 1004518

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Tom, keep up the good attitude, positive attitude goes far. I'm 3 months out from my right knee replacement 2/11/21. best thing I did, no more pain and will have the left knee done 7/21/21. No drugs just used the cold therapy (Don Joy iceman) almost 24/7. i'm 62, just years of sports.

i am hoping I can follow that plan all the way thru. Mine was basketball and motorcycle injuries.

in 3 months I will also be 62 so you give me hope!

lots of ice and elevation.

thanks for the info

Water Romper

Reaction score
Absolutely amazed that you just had KNEE REPLACEMENT, not a little knee surgery to remove something , not knee this or that but a knee replacement, and your up and talking and in great spirits. Fantastic. The bitch will be when the hair starts growing back on your leg, gonna itch like crazy!! When they take the staples out, you should keep them and make some kind of bracelet ;)

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Absolutely amazed that you just had KNEE REPLACEMENT, not a little knee surgery to remove something , not knee this or that but a knee replacement, and your up and talking and in great spirits. Fantastic. The bitch will be when the hair starts growing back on your leg, gonna itch like crazy!! When they take the staples out, you should keep them and make some kind of bracelet ;)

lol.....AJ kept his staples....his were huge ones my staples come out next friday.

was able to take a shower before dinner and it felt awesome

thanks for the kind words appreciated

Last edited:

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Tuesday surgery and today I am walking without any assistance right now. The nerve blocker has worn off. Last night was rough but I got thru it. Honestly, I am already in less pain than before this operation. I can feel the movement inside the knee I haven't felt in 15 years or so. I am just taking it at my own pace and doing what I can without pushing too hard. Still have some swelling of course but have been icing a LOT.

I am moving slow but steady. I am hoping the nurse will take off my bandage today so I can take a shower.

So far the best medical decision I have ever made in my life.

Extremely happy with it all.

I did have that talk with the TP guy and he is very experienced. He encouraged me to speak up and go as far as I can but just understand that the pain blocker will wear off and then wham. Well, I am handling that quite well so.......

The key of course is to do the basics and build on them. I am attempting to do that.

Thanks for the take.....its very spot on

Amazing trip with a knee replacement in the middle! You've talked up AJ, Mrs. AJ and the knee doctor so much don't be surprised if others want to stay at AJ's Rehab after getting their knee replacements done there 😲

Wishing you the best in your recovery and the trip!

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
You should get one of these...

STAPLES
Easy Button

s-l300.jpg

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Amazing trip with a knee replacement in the middle! You've talked up AJ, Mrs. AJ and the knee doctor so much don't be surprised if others want to stay at AJ's Rehab after getting their knee replacements done there 😲

Wishing you the best in your recovery and the trip!

thanks

AJ and I were laughing about that today. He will put me in charge of the RV parking while I whip around in the Gator.....lol

Couldn't ask for a better friend and support system than AJ and Patty in this time of need

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
My Pops had both his knees done, 6 months apart, and he was 82 at the time if I remember correctly.
Same as you, he wished he'd done it 15 years earlier.
He'll be 90 in July, and I honestly don't think he'd be around had he not had them done. Really gave him a new lease on life!
He could only stand for 10-15 minutes at a time before, and he's a tough fucker.
Only 2 minor side things, is that now when he gets up off the ground, he kinda has to do a little role-move to get up. No biggie.
And the other is, he sleeps with a pillow between his knee's, he said if the knees touch, it gives him like a 'cold' feeling in his knees, almost like a light electrical shock.
I kid with him and say, "it's probably like a battery with those 2 big chunks of titanium arc'ing across like a bettery"!
Glad things went well for you, and recovering fast. 👍

Pretty much my story but you just kind of deal with it. I know that mentality of your pops.

Glad that he was able to get that done and thrived. It really is a quality of life issue.

Thank you for the good wishes

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Quick update. Been one week and going very well. No pain really but swelling still happening. Taking a bit of advils from time to time as well as icing quite often. Just doing my PT and following instructions.

my goals:
next week no more assistance when walking.

week after that hoping to be able to drive 100%.

getting antsy now.I am not the kind of guy that likes sitting around.

aJ and Patty continue providing me any and all care required. They have been invaluable to me and this rehab

a big highlight for me this week is getting the staples out Friday. I can not wait for that.

carry on ;)

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
Tom’s fucking everywhere today
Walked around the yard 3 times
I’m working in the barn hanging my plates and signs
He comes around the corner...boom
Im like look at you
He passed me heading to the next pasture (AJS RV Park) right to his rig
An hour later he walks up with two bags of goodies
He looks at me and said next week I’m Driving Bitch
Unbelievable LOL

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Im like look at you
Unbelievable LOL

haha. Its fucking true

the way you put that made me chuckle

i did break the seal on beers today. Celebratory ;)

Last edited:

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Quick update. Been one week and going very well. No pain really but swelling still happening. Taking a bit of advils from time to time as well as icing quite often. Just doing my PT and following instructions.

my goals:
next week no more assistance when walking.

week after that hoping to be able to drive 100%.

getting antsy now.I am not the kind of guy that likes sitting around.

aJ and Patty continue providing me any and all care required. They have been invaluable to me and this rehab

a big highlight for me this week is getting the staples out Friday. I can not wait for that.

carry on ;)

Be careful, what you Wish For!! Getting the Staples out CAN BE an = "EXPERIENCE". Been There Done That.o_O

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Well...The PT said to slow the f down today. Next couple of days I will concentrate on the stretching vs walking. He wasnt happy with me. Hamstring and calf are extremely tight due to the walking yesterday. No pain but as I did a couple of the stretching exercises it felt like my thigh was going to explode. Not good.

dammit

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Slow down and take it easy, you don't have to be anywhere tomorrow.

buck35

Reaction score
Im like look at you
Unbelievable LOL

Didn't you just get a hip done not loo long ago?

riverroyal

Reaction score
Shoulda told spider monkey your having knee surgery. He would have left you alone

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Shoulda told spider monkey your having knee surgery. He would have left you alone

lol.

kind of frustrated this AM. I definitely over did it Tuesday and am paying the price. After the PT met with me yesterday and let me know the deal it has caused me to think negatively. Lost some patience yesterday

physically this has been no problem but late yesterday and this AM its become a mental battle within. i need to suck it up and change that mindset and will.

I always push rehab too hard. Just my nature to push forward.

oh well...new day right?

Last edited:

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
lol.

kind of frustrated this AM. I definitely over did it Tuesday and am paying the price. After the PT met with me yesterday and let me know the deal it has caused me to think negatively. Lost some patience yesterday

physically this has been no problem but late yesterday and this AM its become a mental battle within. i need to suck it up and change that mindset and will.

I always push rehab too hard. Just my nature to push forward.

oh well...new day right?

P.S. Just remember, You Ain't your Average Bear.:D

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Alright. Back on track and doing very well again after slowing down for a couple of days. Able to walk without a limp and get along pain free. Promised to take it easy over the weekend.

staples out later today. The highlight of my week. Lol

hoping i can get that other clean out of the good knee in about two weeks.

after a short week for rehab I should be able to continue my travels. Love it here but the road is waiting for me.

2Driver

Reaction score
Good to hear you are doing well Tom.
I was going to say don’t push it, but some of us just have to find out where that line is. 😄

RCDave

Reaction score
it has titanium and composite along with a 10mm pad. The pad is my new cartilage.

So far so good. No pain
Awesome.

I'm likely looking down the barrel of a replacement too

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Awesome.

I'm likely looking down the barrel of a replacement too

Get it done and get your legs worked out for about two weeks prior. It will help.

Only suggestion I have is to have at least two or better yet three ice packs for after surgery. Lots of ice, elevation and advils for the swelling is the key IMO

It really hasn't been a big deal other than sitting around. Pain was very minimal

I haven't even had much bruising at all