WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cross country trip....

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
since I dont know or care what day it is I will go with Sunday ;)

E07150B6-6F77-4956-B7F9-95EB6245C5B2.jpeg
0023886B-DB86-468B-91FE-2163F0C76A8F.jpeg

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
After a rabbit this AM. If I let her go she will just hurt her back legs chasing the damn thing. In her younger days she would take that rabbit down. Love how she moves quietly.

Attachments

• IMG_4377.MOV
    22.2 MB

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
She is such a sweetie and seems to enjoy life and being with you. :)

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Aggghhhh….Today was moving day. Started out by seeing the thread on Careys passing ;(. RIP

So I am off to a antiseptic kind of park in Akron IA. Short drive for me today. Nice new big park with lakes and trails but brand new. No shade trees as they are all recently planted. Nice big cement and grass areas with a firepit and picnic table. It is set up very nice. Called Lazy H in Akron Iowa. Nothing really around but you can get pizza at a couple of places with a small store called Maynards. Huge areas between all spaces and excellent VZN coverage. 55. Per night and I will stay till Thursday.

well the bad is I missed a turn to get here and had to side street it a bit. Son of a bitch I took out a low power line that went to a bait shop which almost caught fire. Fuck me. People came running out and yelling at me. I had to get as far over as i could due to traffic.

police come, fire department comes because thereis a live wire now across the street.

after everything calmed down I took lots of pics. The owner said this has happened before. Well…my trailer is completely legal height for the public street.

bottom line is that I think they are going to find the power line was not to code ordinance wise. Will be interesting how it plays out. Hopefully the only damage is my tv antenna was ripped off.

oh well…shit happens….enjoying my BLs while roxy lays in her portable pool i got for her.

always much worse things in life.

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
do you sometimes feel like your in a chevy chase movie...

lol. Its been pretty uneventful accident wise till now.

the bait shop owner said all his bait is going to spoil. Maybe they shouldnt try these non code power extensions. He was a nice guy and I didnt tell him this.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Here are some pics of the park I am spending before continuing on the Sturgis. Park is one year old so a lack of shade as the trees are small. It is extremely clean and awesome space between sites. Honestly one of the nicest I have seen. Even the lakes here have those damn big float things in the lake for the kids. The grassy areas never end. Give this another couple of years and it will be crazy nice. They are going to put in a laundry mat which they do not have yet. 55. Per night.

meeting very nice people here. They even allow you to pick your own sweet corn while here. Gonna fire some up tomorrow.

anyhow….here are some random pics
97F92743-BC6E-4296-922F-7D30B1FCEFDC.jpeg
BFE2884D-6070-4641-9D21-DE11CFD9AEBB.jpeg
92EDA89A-B321-4BC1-939F-64978F1CD8D1.jpeg
87A0532F-8367-4057-BE74-4CA542E14D8D.jpeg
5FD3A403-8955-4DD4-B8B9-605653CCF01A.jpeg
64CCF9D0-954D-4230-B75E-81AA52FB115A.jpeg
3B2AD929-0515-4E74-AEE4-A49EB205F8AA.jpeg
96108B54-2048-4792-B1A2-100BE784CF01.jpeg
6E3FD35A-96B5-4B57-9B7F-24E0C77BC308.jpeg
F131F952-6C44-4779-AD25-ACE40EA782B8.jpeg

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Ohhhh…funny exchange at the local little grocery store.

ME: Can you tell me where your frozen mashed potatoes are?

CLERK: What do you mean frozen?

ME: You know frozen so you can just warm them up in the microwave

CLERK: Ahhhh….no. We dont carry anything like that here.

i am in the midwest. Lol. Made me laugh

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Roxy and I are making friends everywhere we go. A nice family invited me to visit them when I make another pass thru. Their family has a 1000 acres of cattle and told me I could stay there and hang out. Also asked if I know how to drive tractors and ride horses. Maybe I could stay there and work alongside the family. Honestly....midwest values and appreciation for others is alive and well thru here.

I like Iowa for sure

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
It looks like you hitting some great spots

I would agree with that. Talked to one of the guys that is in on this. It was a bunch of locals that did all this. Buddies that just wanted to get together and hang out. Next thing you know over beers and bonfires they decided to do this and it just keeps growing in scope.....lol Sounds like some awesome friends to have. All country boys with farms and so forth. This was a gravel pit area they converted.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
They dropped a ton of money in concrete and electrical. That’s a beautiful campground and, you’re right, it’ll be stunning in 10 years.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
They dropped a ton of money in concrete and electrical. That’s a beautiful campground and, you’re right, it’ll be stunning in 10 years.

i was told they put 2m into it to this point. Funny that all RV sites are on city water while all the grass is via their well. Even their sewer connections are city which is not the norm.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Ohhhh…funny exchange at the local little grocery store.

ME: Can you tell me where your frozen mashed potatoes are?

CLERK: What do you mean frozen?

ME: You know frozen so you can just warm them up in the microwave

CLERK: Ahhhh….no. We dont carry anything like that here.

i am in the midwest. Lol. Made me laugh

I've Never heard of frozen mashed potatoes either! 😝

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Most grocery stores carry them as well as Costco and Sams Club etc.

Example;

View attachment 1030170

Im sorry, but that looks disgusting! 😝

Buy some small red potatoes, nuke em up, mash em with the skins still on with some sour cream, butter, salt and pepper. Yum.

You're supposed to boil em. But I think nuking them would be fine in the RV...

If you wanna get all fancy, cut white scallions up, put the whites in the pan with some butter and garlic and cook till the garlic is gold. Then add the potatoes and stuff to that and mash. Then top with the scallion greens.

Extra yum! 😎

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Im sorry, but that looks disgusting! 😝

Buy some small red potatoes, nuke em up, mash em with the skins still on with some sour cream, butter, salt and pepper. Yum.

You're supposed to boil em. But I think nuking them would be fine in the RV...

If you wanna get all fancy, cut white scallions up, put the whites in the pan with some butter and garlic and cook till the garlic is gold. Then add the potatoes and stuff to that and mash. Then top with the scallion greens.

Extra yum! 😎

lol. I understand what you are saying but….. I know how to make em from scratch. If you saw my kitchen in my old house you would understand.

in the RV you pick your battles.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
So….I have this sweet corn they let us pick yesterday at the RV park. I have about 10 of them. I decide to try 3 of them on the BS.

1) mayo and Mesquite
2) butter and jockos seasoning
3) butter and salt-pepper

Rolled them in foil and put the heat on low. Probably rolled them 3-4 times over about a 15-20 min time.

They came out great but the best one by far was the mayo-mesquite.

Sweet corn straight off the stalk is awesome.

Any idea how long this corn will stay fresh for with the husks on them in the fridge?

I am going to beg them to let me get more before leaving.

Last edited:

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Nothing beats fresh sweet corn. Should get a week or so out if it if you keep it fairly dry, maybe longer. Try em boiled, topped with some butter and pepper after. If you grill em, just leave em in the husk, no foil needed. If they won’t let you pick anymore you should be able to find it at a market or from a farmer along the side of the road selling out of the back of their truck. Good stuff.

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
i havent been paying any where near those rates. Way less than half actually.

it helps I stay off the beaten path which I prefer. There will be off grid places I will be hitting in ID. I will find them as I travel. They are out there…just need to discover them.

i love ID along the rivers

Really enjoying this thread. The way you are traveling is exactly the way I would like to travel. We would be doing the same thing if our daughter didn't just have our first granddaughter in April. Mama said she isn't going anywhere for a while.

Ravenwood is nice but it is spendy. Depending on your timing of being in Idaho, if we have our property ready, you and Roxy would be welcome to stay. We just bought property in Rathdrum and are working diligently to get a couple pads leveled out and power and septic in. Off the beaten path but close to town.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Nothing beats fresh sweet corn. Should get a week or so out if it if you keep it fairly dry, maybe longer. Try em boiled, topped with some butter and pepper after. If you grill em, just leave em in the husk, no foil needed. If they won’t let you pick anymore you should be able to find it at a market or from a farmer along the side of the road selling out of the back of their truck. Good stuff.

i am keeping them in the husk in the fridge. You can put mayo on em before the grill thru the husk ;)
Somehow I am going to grab a bunch…one way or another. Lol

i will also try the boil method.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Really enjoying this thread. The way you are traveling is exactly the way I would like to travel. We would be doing the same thing if our daughter didn't just have our first granddaughter in April. Mama said she isn't going anywhere for a while.

Ravenwood is nice but it is spendy. Depending on your timing of being in Idaho, if we have our property ready, you and Roxy would be welcome to stay. We just bought property in Rathdrum and are working diligently to get a couple pads leveled out and power and septic in. Off the beaten path but close to town.

appreciate that. Path after Sturgis is gonna be figured out over a lot of beers ;)

when you do eventually hit the road you are really going to appreciate it.

i do love ID.

cxr

Reaction score

SAME, i almost have my wife talked into it. just got 2 more years for daughter to finish high school.

been running my retirmement /pension calculators like once a month i think we will be OK.

no monkey wrenches for the next two years :)

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
When I go home (Michigan) during the summer, we bring a cooler. We buy a bunch of Michigan sweet corn, clean them, blanch them and then put them in the freezer.

Tasted great months later when we would take some out of the freezer for dinner.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Alright…they told me to pick as much as I want today before leaving. I filled up a trash bag most of the way. Guess whats getting roasted in Sturgis? Lol

anybody know if it is better in the fridge or just in a cool area to make sure as fresh as possible? I really would prefer not to fill up the fridge but can if necessary.

local market does not know what Tajin is and they dont carry it either. Oh well

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Should store fine outside of the fridge. A lot of times in the fridge it gets soggy. Can also husk and freeze some, they aren’t bad after they are thawed.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Ok. So I am all settled in here in Larchmont IA at this dairy farm. Only one here and this is thru Harvest Host. Just a gravel parking lot in the back and about a 2 mile dirt road to get here.

the owner came by to talk and we did for about 30-45 minutes. Their family has owned and operated this farm since the mid 1800s. On the website it mentions since 1915. Anyhow…very cool conversation and of course true Americana. His 3 children are now taking over so he and his wife can chill a bit. His mom and dad are still here in their house. All family members have their own houses here with a little bit of separation. That was always a dream of mine. A fucking compound ;)

they have a store that is on the honor system. Probably 20 diff flavors of ice cream. Since I picked up 3 quarts of Blue Bunny at the last stop I now have 5 fuckin quarts of ice cream. Lol. So you are suggested to spend 20. Via HH so I got some ice cream and choc milk. I just took a bite of the Moms Mounds ice cream and it is awesome. Coconut ice cream with Mounds bars crushed in mixed in. Wow. Never knew it could taste so good.

so….I was able to drop the fifth wheel and run to a Costco for the first time since I left LuckyStrikes place in FL. They had 36 qty packs of BL. Now we are talking! Grabbed some stuff and headed back.

nice stop but not like the past few we have stayed at. Its worth a stop over for sure.

off in the AM…will probably be raining to stay overnight at a golf course in Mitchell SD.

roxy got totally intimated by the cows. They all ran over to the fence and were really stretching out to check her out. Roxy stepped back like WTF. Pretty funny. The owner told me the cows never see dogs and were just curious with no bad intent.

Misc pictures
E708E11A-7827-454E-9302-29D279916C41.jpeg
B8DC54EF-97DC-44FA-B42B-B6552DDEA12E.jpeg
7FB7B13B-8F61-4D0A-A9AF-39572992E29C.jpeg
7E0203FE-0675-45EF-9B96-AD9DB6AFA462.jpeg
D4EEBB71-0A80-4A47-B1BC-CE2EBD0C5BF0.jpeg
C0133B1D-0F2E-401E-B00B-D1DDF3EE8AD8.jpeg
D5F01E1A-72CB-43AE-9F10-7F101DDB7BDB.jpeg
8CD1054C-A0A1-4F86-BC1F-0A6F2A5BF71E.jpeg

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Its smoke from Canada! Damn. We can smell it as well as see it.

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
That is awesome that a dairy farm is that clean to play camp host! We encountered quite a bit of wildfire smoke this morning in northern Minnesota, I was surprised at the heavy smell as well.
20210729_055000.jpg

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
That is awesome that a dairy farm is that clean to play camp host! We encountered quite a bit of wildfire smoke this morning in northern Minnesota, I was surprised at the heavy smell as well. View attachment 1031484

were you guys in the path of that nasty storm that has been NE of me? They said tornados and baseball size hail ;(

i have been kind of threading a needle on this trip. 90% of the time absolutely perfect weather.