WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

cruiser transmissions

rivergames

Reaction score
Call Wilkes and see who did mine. Pretty reasonable for a complete trans and it's stout.

Sent from my iPhone paid for with Union money. :D

Right on. Did they just replace the bearings and seals? I'm thinking around $250????

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Right on. Did they just replace the bearings and seals? I'm thinking around $250????

They replaced the whole trans. LOL. My housing was junk. Had to buy a new core and they built that. He said they put all the goodies in it to handle a lot more power than I was gonna throw at it. And it included the deep pan. I believe it was around $1k for everything. If yours just needs to be freshened up I gotta think it would be a lot cheaper.

dekman

Dekman
Reaction score
At Jim Lange's suggestion, I used Mike's Transmissions in Lancaster. Rebuilt it, went reverse valve body, seals, etc...~ 1k. Now good for > 1200hp.
Question: what is the canister for? Don't get the plumbing......

Attachments

• DSC00459.jpg
    DSC00459.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 221

dekman

Dekman
Reaction score
Is yours a TH350? It looks different than my TH400....

Attachments

• DSCN2085.jpg
    DSCN2085.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 195

HighVoltage329

Reaction score
Also, another nice thing about leaving park in it is when you fire the boat up on the trailer it keeps the prop from turning. In neutral my prop will still slowly turn.

Sent from my iPad using Tap That Ass

I don't think it's a good idea to run the motor in park. Check with Wilkes.

The Rex Marine shifter is the way to go.

wrighton

Reaction score

Thats what I have always been told so far in regards to Park. Everything still spins a little no matter what.

Is this the plastic detent plug in reference?

Attachments

• IMG_0073.jpg
    IMG_0073.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 181

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
At Jim Lange's suggestion, I used Mike's Transmissions in Lancaster. Rebuilt it, went reverse valve body, seals, etc...~ 1k. Now good for > 1200hp.
Question: what is the canister for? Don't get the plumbing......

I'd guess some kinda puke tank...............I dunno....

CC

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score

Why wouldn't it be? He told me to do it when it's on the trailer and warming it up to keep the prop shaft from spinning.

HighVoltage329

Reaction score
I'm no expert but my understanding is without a torque converter it's not advisable.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I'm no expert but my understanding is without a torque converter it's not advisable.

I haven't had any problems with it. Hell when I picked up my boat from Wilkes they ran it for me on the trailer in park.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Why wouldn't it be? He told me to do it when it's on the trailer and warming it up to keep the prop shaft from spinning.

I believe that the pump is not moving fluid in park. Most auto trans guys say to never leave your car or truck in park and ideling when hot because of this. Better to put the car in neutral and set the parking brake.

Turbo 400 without a converter doesn't hold much fluid anyway, even with a heat exchanger, hard to keep one cool in a boat.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I believe that the pump is not moving fluid in park. Most auto trans guys say to never leave your car or truck in park and ideling when hot because of this. Better to put the car in neutral and set the parking brake.

Turbo 400 without a converter doesn't hold much fluid anyway, even with a heat exchanger, hard to keep one cool in a boat.

Doesn't sound right to me. Should be moving fluid no matter what gear it's in. If the engine is turning its spinning the pump in the transmission.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
I'm not a trans expert, never hurt one in a car or truck in thirty five years. I have killed a couple in v-drive cruisers over the years, without many hours on them. If I ever build a high horsepower cruiser again it will have a 727 cut down like Gary Harbiens red Schiada, or a built velvet drive.

HighVoltage329

Reaction score
Thats what I have always been told so far in regards to Park. Everything still spins a little no matter what.

Is this the plastic detent plug in reference?

That's just a vent. The detent would be on the shifter at the helm.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
I'm not a trans expert, never hurt one in a car or truck in thirty five years. I have killed a couple in v-drive cruisers over the years, without many hours on them. If I ever build a high horsepower cruiser again it will have a 727 cut down like Gary Harbiens red Schiada, or a built velvet drive.

Richard, what about a 'dual disc clutch set up' with a bellhousing (SFI can) mounted 'Forward/Reverse Casale crashbox shifter' ? (lower RPMs on the input side) IMHO this would (has for me in the past) worked without any problems. IMHO this would also be much easier to do now that we have 'hydralic throwout bearings' available. Way back we had to make 'hydralic over linkage deals'. You know that B&M's 2 speed was a 'trick' 727 and it would not take more than 1000 lbs of torque, plus it still had the .45 gear step. IMHO, I would just come off the prop diameter (and let it slip more getting onto plane) just to have the 'comfort' knowing I have the least number of moving parts in my driveline. I'm not talking about a 'family cruiser', but rather a 'RIVER CRUISER' here....

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I don't know shit about v-drives. So my question is why not a power glide?

And do you use torque converters or plug them in direct like a circle track car?

One more thing, we had a power-glide come apart in a circle track car and it sent shrapnel through the side of the car, next one had a scatter shield around it. Is this not necessary with a turbo 400?

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score

And do you use torque converters or plug them in direct like a circle track car?

One more thing, we had a power-glide come apart in a circle track car and it sent shrapnel through the side of the car, next one had a scatter shield around it. Is this not necessary with a turbo 400?

I used to worry about that but my junk doesn't make any power so chances are slim. :D

HighVoltage329

Reaction score

2nd gear on a 400 is better for coming out of the hole with tall gears than a power glide. Also helps turbos spool.
Yes, they do run direct like a circle car. The Art Carr type spline drive has springs to help with some of the shock from shifting.
I think the scatter shield at least on a drag car is to protect from the torque converter coming apart.

Rexone

an ordinary American
Reaction score
Doesn't sound right to me. Should be moving fluid no matter what gear it's in. If the engine is turning its spinning the pump in the transmission.

Pump turns all the time, direct engagement from torque converter or other replacement drive method (spline drive, etc). Crack a fluid line open in park and crouch over it if anyone is in doubt. Wear an old pink hotboat shirt. :D

No water will be moving through the oil cooler but also transmission creates minimal heat at idle and no clutch packs are engaged. The slight free wheeling you get in neutral creates minimal heat and exists whether in park or in neutral. Parking pawl just engages the drum and keeps it from turning, nothing to do with front pump turning or oil circulation.

Think of a valve body as just that: a body that houses multiple valves (sliding cylindrical valves): valves that operate off the shift linkage. As the shift linkage detent inside the transmission is moved from gear position to gear position these valves supply oil pressure to different clutch packs and band servos throughout the transmission at appropriate pressures resulting in different gear operation. The oil flow is always there, just the valve body redirecting it away from these clutch packs and servos in park or neutral.

A properly prepared (for marine use) T400 is very reliable with big power.

I'm not a T400 expert in oil flow detail and engineering, but I have rebuilt a few dozen back in the day.

Last edited:

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Pump turns all the time, direct engagement from torque converter or other replacement drive method (spline drive, etc). Crack a fluid line open in park and crouch over it if anyone is in doubt. Wear an old pink hotboat shirt. :D

No water will be moving through the oil cooler but also transmission creates minimal heat at idle and no clutch packs are engaged. The slight free wheeling you get in neutral creates minimal heat and exists whether in park or in neutral. Parking pawl just engages the drum and keeps it from turning, nothing to do with front pump turning or oil circulation.

Think of a valve body as just that: a body that houses multiple valves (sliding cylindrical valves): valves that operate off the shift linkage. As the shift linkage detent inside the transmission is moved from gear position to gear position these valves supply oil pressure to different clutch packs and band servos throughout the transmission at appropriate pressures resulting in different gear operation. The oil flow is always there, just the valve body redirecting it away from these clutch packs and servos in park or neutral.

A properly prepared (for marine use) T400 is very reliable with big power.

I'm not a T400 expert in oil flow detail and engineering, but I have rebuilt a few dozen back in the day.

I was gonna type out a similar reply but was too lazy. :D

HighVoltage329

Reaction score
Djunkie you were right. Sorry for the missinformation. It is OK to run in park.