WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Crusader engine with a Mercruiser outdrive?

Captain Corndog

Reaction score
I know a Crusader block would bolt up to a Mercruiser bell housing, but I am curious how difficult it would be to get this combo to work?

A little background... I acquired a project boat last year that did not come with engines. I can often find a good deal on one engine, but a pair is much more difficult. The boat needs a ton of work and even completely done, it’s likely not worth spending big money on engines. I often see pairs of Crusader 454s for sale on the cheap, with all the Crusader accessories, transmissions and exhaust. Like $2000 to 3000 for the pair cheap.

I figure is would have to get some Mercruiser specific accessories and ditch the transmissions. Exhaust is already through haul, so I might even be able to use the Crusader exhaust manifolds. Is there any reason this wouldn’t work?

Also, am I correct in that Crusader counter rotate the engine and Mercruiser does it in the drive? If that was the case, could you just slap a counter rotating prop on a standard rotating drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fastenuff3

Reaction score
I know a Crusader block would bolt up to a Mercruiser bell housing, but I am curious how difficult it would be to get this combo to work?

A little background... I acquired a project boat last year that did not come with engines. I can often find a good deal on one engine, but a pair is much more difficult. The boat needs a ton of work and even completely done, it’s likely not worth spending big money on engines. I often see pairs of Crusader 454s for sale on the cheap, with all the Crusader accessories, transmissions and exhaust. Like $2000 to 3000 for the pair cheap.

I figure is would have to get some Mercruiser specific accessories and ditch the transmissions. Exhaust is already through haul, so I might even be able to use the Crusader exhaust manifolds. Is there any reason this wouldn’t work?

Also, am I correct in that Crusader counter rotate the engine and Mercruiser does it in the drive? If that was the case, could you just slap a counter rotating prop on a standard rotating drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
my family has a Gibson houseboat and one engine runs left and one runs right so the left has a different camshaft