WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Crystaliner 29 Projects (continued)

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
So this isn't quite river boating related but might be an interesting thread for some.

I bought my ocean boat back in July and have been a member of a local yacht club in Newport for a while. Each year most yacht clubs have an event called opening day. This originated back east when most boaters have to take their boats out of the water in the winter. They traditionally have a celebration at the beginning of the season once the boats are launched again. We here obviously don't have that inconvenience but we still throw a party at the beginning of the season. Over a hundred boats med tie at the club for a yuge party and boat show of sorts. There is judging of boats in several classes and awards as well as a hell of a party. This is the first year I've owned my boat during this celebration and I have entered in the "Power 40' and under" category.

This is the list that I'll be judged on IMG_2928.jpg IMG_2929.jpg IMG_2930.jpg

This is my to do list before then:
IMG_2931.jpg IMG_2932.jpg

This is what I'm working with IMG_2766.jpg IMG_2624.jpg IMG_2622.jpg

We won best sailboat over 40' and best boat overall on my Dad's boat after a shitload of prep and elbow grease a few years ago. I'm gonna try to replicate on my own.

Will do my best to keep the thread updated with pics throughout my projects [emoji106]

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Always nice to have an incentive to get shit done.

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
Boat looks great, good luck and yes please keep with the updates. :thumbsup

fmo24

Reaction score
Such a cool boat. Good luck and hopefully the hard work pays off

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Absolutly keep us updated. Is that a Skipjack? Looks simular to LA life gaurd boats. Liked those since I was a kid at the beach.

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Absolutly keep us updated. Is that a Skipjack? Looks simular to LA life gaurd boats. Liked those since I was a kid at the beach.

Will do. It actually is a Crystaliner and is the same model as the lifeguard boats. Just no yellow paint [emoji106]

wzuber

Reaction score
good looking sport fisher, good luck with the contest. Regardless of the outcome you will certainly be battle ready when finished.

Taboma

Reaction score
Somehow bet you won't be wearing out the Dividers, protractors and ruler anytime soon :rolleyes

But I can recall spending evenings using them to pre-chart our next day's fishing Loran coordinates --- damn, that's been a few years :yikes

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Well I started on the motor mounts last weekend and got 2 out of the 8 sanded primed and painted. Got one this week after work then knocked out three more today. The last two aren't really bad at all so I might push them to the back of the list.

The issue that I have with these is that the hatch boards were not sealed well when I bought the boat and they leak right above the motor mounts. This equals the motor mounts getting wet whenever the boat is washed or water is splashed on the deck causing the rust in the pics. Mostly have the sealing issue worked out but still fighting a few gremlins...

One before pic:

IMG_2945.jpg

A few during in progress ones:

IMG_2937.jpg IMG_2941.jpg IMG_2944.jpg

Would have taken more shots but most of these are in really shitty spots to get to and I didn't have my phone on me the whole time. I'm a little sore needless to say...

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Tonight I got started on some of the documentation stuff. I recently received a top secret local fishing guide to Catalina, San Clemente island, Santa Barbara island and many offshore spots. It was put together by one of my dock neighbors over many years. He gave me his only version to make copies of on the condition that I made him a new one two. This one is mine. All laminated and organized by location. His looks almost as good IMG_2953.jpg

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Also got going on the "boat book" that I've been wanting to make. When I bought the boat I got a ton of the receipts etc from the previous owners. The boat was built in 1984 and has had 3 owners before me. I would say I've got probably 70% of all of the documentation on the boat since it was new. Some of the coolest stuff is the original build sheets and invoices and the 2006 refit narrative and receipts for the insurance company. I know boats are a hole in the water (and inflation) but the original purchase price was $400 more than I paid for it this year. Came with several hundred thousand in receipts though [emoji43] IMG_2951.jpg
This was organizing everything
IMG_2952.jpg
And I got about 50% through putting everything together in chronological order. Bought the thickest binder at staples and I think in going to need a volume 2 [emoji106]

fmo24

Reaction score
Following this closely. I think this is so cool and quite an endeavor :bowdown::bowdown:

TrojanDan

Reaction score
LD,
Always enjoyed reading your Loose Cannon threads. Nice looking boat. :thumbsup Do you have any interior shots of the cabin/head area you can share?
Thanks,
Dan

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Well I'm making progress on the binder but had to go pick up a second 3" for a volume 2. There is a lot of shit.

Here are a few of the original brochures as well as the hand sketches of the interior layout from the builder

IMG_2970.jpg IMG_2971.jpg
IMG_2972.jpg IMG_2973.jpg IMG_2974.jpg
IMG_2975.jpg IMG_2976.jpg
IMG_2977.jpg

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Took a break from the projects this afternoon. Have a busy weekend and had to get ready. Taking the GF to Eric Church at Staples tomorrow then coordinating the annual chili cookoff on the boats at the club on Saturday. Couldn't show up to the chili cook off with a full holding tank so had to go pump it out today...

IMG_2992.jpg IMG_2993.jpg IMG_2994.jpg

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Coast Guard had a small craft advisory up but it wasn't bad. Just barely got the windows wet...mostly from when I got a work call at the jetty mouth and had the GF drive while not on a plane. I try not to let coworkers know I'm boating at 6:00pm on a Thursday [emoji15]. The turbos give it away lol

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Making some progress after a busy weekend where I didn't get a whole lot done. Yesterday put new line in the outriggers and added two stainless clips on each so I can remove the pressure release clip that you run the fishing line through. The little fuckers are expensive so it's best not to leave them out in the weather. It's also handy for putting flags up
IMG_3032.jpg IMG_3033.jpg
Also new bungies and glass eyes
IMG_3034.jpg

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Next up was detailing the vacu-flush pump in the bilge. The previous owner went absolutely crazy with the corrosion block stuff in the bilge and completely coated everything. I get the point of it but it looks like absolute shit. I've spent the better part of a year cleaning it up in bits and pieces. I don't have a before picture but this white pump was completely brown and the thing is plastic. It's not like it's gonna rust away... I cleaned most of it up a few months ago but it still had shit in all the little nooks and crannies. Can't take credit for this one but paid my detailer $40 to clean it. I think it was worth it IMG_3035.jpg
[emoji12]

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Today I also finally got ahold of the new stove top I had fabbed. The last one had some corrosion and I ended up bending it while trying to polish it with a 4" grinder [emoji43].
This is what it looked like before:
IMG_3027.jpg
In process:
IMG_3030.jpg
IMG_3028.jpg
And now about 95% complete.
IMG_3031.jpg
I still have to sand and high temp paint the grill but I think it will turnout pretty sweet. It's mostly a looker anyways. Only used it once ever...

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Replaced the knobs on the morse controls down below and on the tower
IMG_3100.jpg
Shit gets a lot more expensive when you have two motors and two steering stations [emoji43]
Also did some touch up on the text on the engine controls
IMG_3094.jpg
IMG_3099.jpg
Did a deep clean and now considering a run to ballast point brewery in mdr because why not [emoji12]
IMG_3098.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Liquidated Images, how did you do the text on the controls? looks factory!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Times like these, you have a bad ass boat! Take some pics of you guys partying it up on that thing!

DWC

Reaction score
How many hours have you put into this over the last month?

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Liquidated Images, how did you do the text on the controls? looks factory!

Thanks! Well first attempt I tried doing it with a detail paint brush. Didn't work out so hot so I removed the paint and started over using a paint pen. The text is slightly raised on the panel so I just had to carefully dab it on there [emoji106]

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
How many hours have you put into this over the last month?

I haven't kept track but I would imagine quite a few. I've been trying to fit in a few hours here and there after work and stuff. I'm glad I am almost done though [emoji43]

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Picked up some goodies this afternoon

IMG_3154.jpg

Phenolic labels for the tower and battery control switches.

The tower never had any so I wanted to clarify what they were for so I didn't have people pushing them out of curiosity while running

IMG_3152.jpg

It's not the horn dumbass [emoji12]

When I first bought the boat it had two large gel cell batteries. One for each motor and you could switch back and forth which was running the house. Problem was if you went to the island for the weekend and ran the bait tank you would have to start one motor off the fresh battery before you could get the other one to turn over.

I added separate starting batteries and converted both gel cells to run the house panel. Also added a new charger and an inverter.

Anyways the labeling looked kinda hokey after these changes. IMG_3148.jpg

So I decided to clean it up

IMG_3149.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Picked up some goodies this afternoon

View attachment 555483

Phenolic labels for the tower and battery control switches.

The tower never had any so I wanted to clarify what they were for so I didn't have people pushing them out of curiosity while running

View attachment 555484

It's not the horn dumbass [emoji12]

When I first bought the boat it had two large gel cell batteries. One for each motor and you could switch back and forth which was running the house. Problem was if you went to the island for the weekend and ran the bait tank you would have to start one motor off the fresh battery before you could get the other one to turn over.

I added separate starting batteries and converted both gel cells to run the house panel. Also added a new charger and an inverter.

Anyways the labeling looked kinda hokey after these changes. View attachment 555546

So I decided to clean it up

View attachment 555547

I sent you a pm regarding those holes.

RD

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Progress has been a little slow but I'm getting there. Actually went and used the boat two days last weekend which was good. Even got the old man out on Sunday [emoji106]

Since then have done a few things
IMG_3175.jpg
Got the ditch bag all set up. It's full of a list of stuff That you can grab and go if you are going down. VHF, first aid kit, fishing gear, compass, signal mirror, barometer, duct tape, knives etc.
IMG_3176.jpg
Also got new varnish on the flag pole. My guy who helps with the boat maintenance did it and wouldn't let me pay him. We had a work event at Karl Strauss last night though and I came home with a few cases of beer that were extra so I caught up with him in the parking lot and hooked him and his guys up. Keeping the guys that help keep your boat up happy is key [emoji106][emoji482]

Also added a few pictures of river boating in the v-berth. Gotta give some love to my original boat, Liquidated Damages IMG_3178.jpg IMG_3180.jpg
I don't have any pictures of it yet but I also had the gel coat guy come back this week. Had some stress cracking around the stainless eyes that are around the cockpit. It was bugging the shit out of me and there was on spot on the back of the bait tank that I didn't have him do last time. It's only money right [emoji51]

454Rocket

I thought RDSUX?
Reaction score
Progress has been a little slow but I'm getting there. Actually went and used the boat two days last weekend which was good. Even got the old man out on Sunday [emoji106]

Since then have done a few things
View attachment 556842
Got the ditch bag all set up. It's full of a list of stuff That you can grab and go if you are going down. VHF, first aid kit, fishing gear, compass, signal mirror, barometer, duct tape, knives etc.
View attachment 556844

I have two Survival 4-man life rafts if you or your buddies are interested. They came from a Gulfstream G-IV, so they are set up for aircraft but should be fine for your use. $500ea

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Well the event is almost here. Nothing all that crazy has happened since I posted last but I've put a few things on the boat on the judging list. Now have a loud hauler, barometer and a first aid manual.

Also did a full detail of the teak down below and the interior last weekend. Paying my guy to do a full exterior detail tomorrow then headed to the raft up.

Bought way too much money in fenders last weekend only to find out today that I'm in a slip and not side tying with anyone [emoji43]

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Old thread but been going hard on the boat projects lately and figured I’d revive this thread rather than starting another. Getting the boat ready for opening day again but the real goal is some hard fishing this summer.

First up - since I bought the boat about 5 years ago the water heater has not worked on shore power. It has heat when the engines are running and for about 12 hours after due to the heat exchanger linked to the engine coolant so it wasn’t ever a huge problem. It got a little annoying when I was quarantined on the boat with COVID for 10 days in January so I figured I was finally gonna fix that shit. And then it snowballed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
The WH is located under the couch down below and the way it’s situated there is no way to drain without soaking the lazarette it’s in and the forward bilge. After much swearing water everywhere and several minor injuries the GD thing was out!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Not sure why the pics are smaller now.. maybe because they we’re posted before me the software upgrade.

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Let the drying process begin...

IMG_0763.jpg

Left it this way for about a week and also used a heat gun on several occasions to dry it out. Finally got it dry. There was a little bit of rot in the marine ply separating the lazarette and the bilge so I that out and epoxied everything back level.

IMG_0783.jpg

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Sanded a bit and cleaned with solvent then out down some one part bilge coat.

IMG_0815.jpg

It looked great but from a combo of cold temps, too thick of coats and the amine blush from the epoxy that I learned about later I had the privilege of stripping it all off after it didn’t cure...

4Waters

Reaction score
Old thread but been going hard on the boat projects lately and figured I’d revive this thread rather than starting another. Getting the boat ready for opening day again but the real goal is some hard fishing this summer.

First up - since I bought the boat about 5 years ago the water heater has not worked on shore power. It has heat when the engines are running and for about 12 hours after due to the heat exchanger linked to the engine coolant so it wasn’t ever a huge problem. It got a little annoying when I was quarantined on the boat with COVID for 10 days in January so I figured I was finally gonna fix that shit. And then it snowballed...

They always snowball, always.