WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cummins, Duramax or Powerstroke?

d4l

Reaction score
So Im finaly in the progress of getting my licens to drive heavy duty trucks. Meaning trucks up to 16500 pounds and rigs with truck plus trailer up to 26500 pounds.

So I’v started to look for a bigger truck. What do you all think is the best? Pros and cons between them. Prices here are high for these, budget puts me in the 2000-2010 market depending on size 2500/3500, year and miles. Capacity is important, I want to be able to tow for example a 42 foot boat.

Just going by looks I lean towards Ford or Chevy. But Yeah, looking for function over fashion here. This will serve as my own worktruck, both to load on bed and towing.

Hit me!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

d4l

Reaction score
Also what to look for at certain miles and years.

FishSniper

Reaction score
So Im finaly in the progress of getting my licens to drive heavy duty trucks. Meaning trucks up to 16500 pounds and rigs with truck plus trailer up to 26500 pounds.

So I’v started to look for a bigger truck. What do you all think is the best? Pros and cons between them. Prices here are high for these, budget puts me in the 2000-2010 market depending on size 2500/3500, year and miles. Capacity is important, I want to be able to tow for example a 42 foot boat.

Just going by looks I lean towards Ford or Chevy. But Yeah, looking for function over fashion here. This will serve as my own worktruck, both to load on bed and towing.

Hit me!

3500 Cummins with Aisin trans. Not sure if you have all the BS smog stuff as we do here but a 2012 is the last year before the DEF here.

4Waters

Reaction score
200.gif

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
I like my Ford 6.7 powerstroke, but if your budget puts you in a 6.0 or 6.4 Ford I would go a different direction. The Cummins is a great engine and gets good milage but the Dodge Ram trucks maybe not so good.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
When you buy a DCB go get a big ford.
If you own a Daytona, a lifted Duramax seems to be the ticket.
When you need a WORK truck to earn with. Cummins all the way.
Those that say that they “rattle apart” watch too many Ford fan boi videos.

d4l

Reaction score
3500 Cummins with Aisin trans. Not sure if you have all the BS smog stuff as we do here but a 2012 is the last year before the DEF here.

Same here, 2012 the tax on these shot up with like 300%. But before that its not to bad. Also Alot of the heavy duty/super duty ones that made it here are registerd as C-class(regular would be B) commercial work vihicles and therefor the tax is lower. You can blow black smoke for less then you pay for a prius.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Ok, so here is the perfect truck, most will agree.

Ford truck with a Cummins engine and an Allison transmission.

If you say so.
Ive had multiple company supplied F250 and F350 trucks. I will NEVER understand why any private owner would pay that price for those trucks.
Fleet rate is one thing, private sale is another.
In all my years in the oilfield I can say this with complete objectivity, every single private hot shot operator that I am familiar with runs Cummins trucks.
Every large fleet rate corporation supplies Fords.
FYI, most of the company ford drivers private trucks are Dodges.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
If you are running hard and building miles fast, the dodge is probably the best way to go. If you plan on keeping it long term, then Dodge drops to the bottom of the list. They don't age well. The hotshot guys don't keep them that long with the miles they rack up.

You got to remember this is a Chevy forum. All others will be hated.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
If you are running hard and building miles fast, the dodge is probably the best way to go. If you plan on keeping it long term, then Dodge drops to the bottom of the list. They don't age well. The hotshot guys don't keep them that long with the miles they rack up.

You got to remember this is a Chevy forum. All others will be hated.

Huh?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Well since the OP isn't in the U.S., my biggest suggestion is how is the repair support for the different brands near you? They really are all so close that would make a HUGE difference.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

d4l

Reaction score
To begin with I might put 10-15k/year on it depending on how much work I can get hold of on the side of my regular job. Most of these in my budget are already in the 120-150k range, but you have to start somewhere to be able to work your way up.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Here's my opinion, and I've clocked quite a few miles towing a "hotshot" style setup. This is based on US, as I don't know your parts availability and fuel cost.

My 02 3500 Dodge had the old 6spd, cast iron, but very sturdy. The truck had 1 injector pump, 1 radiator, 1 headgasket, 1 rear axle and 1 transmission. Sounds like a lot, but that was after 18 years, and 900,000+ miles. Aftermarket intake, exhaust, lift pump and small tuner. I sold it running good, but needed another transmission. Hauling heavy, 18-24k, 14mpg. Empty 40ft trailer, 17-19 depending on me.

7.3 Powerstrokes, had a few. Automatic transmissions can be problematic. So can the earlier dual mass clutch setups for the manuals. HPOP for injection and injectors aren't hard to replace, but may be harder to come by overseas, as not many International Navistars used worldwide as Cummins products. Some wiring issues, but easily repaired. I preferred the Ford interiors to the Dodges. Best mpg on an auto 7.3 I ever had was 15, no trailer, crew cab dually.

Avoid 6 point anything Ford. They are decent for hauling, but when they break, it gets pricey. Major repairs, like headgaskets, or oil coolers on the later motors, pretty much require pulling the cab. Down time means no money if the truck is an money maker. And yes, I did have an F550 Lariat when the 6 leaker came out...only owned that one. No more.

Cole Brewed

Reaction score
I was married to a 6.0 stroker for 16 years, gave her a tummy tuck, ass lift, inner and outer labia refurbish, hell even a new set of bolt on nipple holders! bitch still dumped me, moved on to a newer younger model Duramax , Perkier than ever and always ready to please! Oh extremely comfy with the cooled and heated leather wrap.
kidding aside I always thought this is the last time on the powerstroke, until fuck stranded again.
DO YOU HOMEWORK

d4l

Reaction score
Well since the OP isn't in the U.S., my biggest suggestion is how is the repair support for the different brands near you? They really are all so close that would make a HUGE difference.

There are a great shop about 40min away from where I live, specialized on american cars and trucks, and parts are surprisingly cheap. The Chevy was a blast to own compared to like the bmw, Volvo, or just anything Iv had around.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
After we settle this we can come up with an end to the pandemic just before the weekend :rolleyes:

NicPaus

Reaction score
I have 2 Duramax 3500s for work after owning F250s F350s and a F450 for work.

I would consider a Cummins if I needed another. Only complaint I have heard about them is the transmission. I drove my buddies a few times it was a 07. Towed great and fuel mileage was good for load i was towing. My old Dodge was a 5.9 and a solid truck but was a 90.

Reactions: d4l

d4l

Reaction score
To begin with I might put 10-15k/year on it depending on how much work I can get hold of on the side of my regular job. Most of these in my budget are already in the 120-150k range, but you have to start somewhere to be able to work your way up.

Edit on the numbers: 20-25k/y

And the 120-150k ones are the nice ones, there are ofcourse ones with higher miles for cheaper, but they seem to keep their value here unless they are beat up badly. Guess due to there not beeing a ton of them around since they were never sons here new by dealer, atleast not in any large number.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
My Dodges were an ‘05 3/4 ton 5.9 auto and an ‘08 3/4 ton 6.7 with the Jake brake and hi/ low 6 speed auto with manual select option.

The 5.9 was a beast. I’d regularly get 17-20 mpg Hwy, and 15-17 mph pulling my 27’ 5th wheel. I’d laugh openly when my coworkers would argue about who’s Duramax or Powerstroke got 12 mpg or whatever.
No fucking comparison. AND I paid a whopping $27K for that truck in 2006 with 23K miles on it.
I traded it in with 120K on it in 2008 and drove away in the 2008 6.7.
One of those silver ones you see everywhere. It got about one mpg less than the 5.9, and didn’t really have the power of the 5.9....BUT that transmission everybody cries about made up for it. Once I learned the correct way to use the transmission, with the low range, Jake brake, and manual selector toggle that truck was fucking awesome. Hands down the killer of the entire 3/4 ton market.

I’ve driven them all, my buddies all have Duramax. My companies all had fleet F whatever’s.

I watched die hard Ford fan boys switch to Cummins after driving that ‘08.

These are the year trucks you are shopping.

There is no comparison. If you can find one under 150K miles you are golden.

Or spend more on a fan boi ford and see how often the cab gets lifted off of it.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
There are a great shop about 40min away from where I live, specialized on american cars and trucks, and parts are surprisingly cheap. The Chevy was a blast to own compared to like the bmw, Volvo, or just anything Iv had around.

If hes the shop that you would be taking it to, then I would go talk to him. See what his opinion is. It might be that he has a real problem getting parts for a Dodge but can get Ford parts all day long and really easy for cheap. Or he may not have any mechanics that are super comfortable with GM's but are very well versed in Dodge.

Daytona47

Reaction score
I own a 2020 Chevy 2500 and a 2016 that is deleted with efi live. I still don’t like them as much as my 2000 dodge Cummins 2500 I use to pull around horses and other trailers around my ranch. Once these trucks are set up correctly they are hard to beat.
C572D4EE-7800-404D-A33F-F1A0D6FB5F4F.jpeg

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
They all have their good and bad. Stay away from the 6.0 and 6.4 fords. 7.3 ford, pre-emissions Dmax, and 5.9 Cummins are probably the least problematic, minus some injector issues on certain Dmaxes. Find the cleanest truck you can afford of any make, IMO.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I have a Duramax (Pre Emissions) and if i were to buy another truck it would be a Dodge/Cummins.

Like everyone has stated, there is a reason why every hot shot tower runs Dodge/Cummins.

Gelcoater

Reaction score

Hit me!

Question for you.
Are you planning on doing the inevitable work on the truck? Water pump, alternator, turbo, radiator, etc. the shit shat starts letting go close to 200k miles, Maintenance, etc?

Another question, have you looked under the hoods of all 3?
I drive a 15 year old Dodge, I look under hood of a 15 year old ford and am intimidated, lol. Look under the hood of newer ones, terrified!!
Like was said earlier, there’s a lot more room under there when the engine is straight up and down.

Joker

Reaction score
I had a 99 ford with the 7.3, loved that truck, traded for a 03 DMAX and blew the Allison. Went to an 06 Dodge with a 5.9 and ran it for 250K until the turbo and injectors started going so I sold it. Bought a 15 Ram and both the trans and turbo went out before 100K which made me lose faith in the Ram brand as I believe we pay more for a diesel because of their extended life cycle. Just bought a 20 Silverado and to date, it's more comfortable and quicker than the 15.
Bottom line is these trucks aren't what they used to be.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I will be looking for another older diesel soon. Most likely a dually. I want to buy something older because I won't be driving it much. I lean towards around a 2013 Ram, or an 05-07 Ford 6-Oh with a bullet proof kit. If I get a dually, it most likely be the Dodge. If I get a SRW, I'm not so sure. I generally don't like the looks of longbed SRW dodges.

d4l

Reaction score
Question for you.
Are you planning on doing the inevitable work on the truck? Water pump, alternator, turbo, radiator, etc. the shit shat starts letting go close to 200k miles, Maintenance, etc?

Another question, have you looked under the hoods of all 3?
I drive a 15 year old Dodge, I look under hood of a 15 year old ford and am intimidated, lol. Look under the hood of newer ones, terrified!!
Like was said earlier, there’s a lot more room under there when the engine is straight up and down.

Good good, stuff to look for. I dont mind getting down there, but ofcourse I rather find one thats been done already. People seen to take care of their stuff when it comes to these here, common to see many of those things done on the higher mile ones. It also reflects in the price.

As for under the hood, the roomier to work the better, spent years in the bay of the IMP with its none existing room, sucks.... I dont know wich one is the best to work on, thats why I ask :)
New trucks or any new car is frightning under the hood, need a special tool to change a lightbulb...

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
I have a 2003 dodge 3500 4x4. The dash will crack. That is the only problem I have really had. It has over 300k on it. Had a new clutch put in at 240k.

It does not rattle and its not falling apart.
I have an oil leak but it just needs to have the front seal replaced and tighten the bolts on the timing gear cover. But have to pull balancer to get to them.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I couldn’t justify keeping it at the time...but damn I regret selling my 3rd Gen Ram

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I couldn’t justify keeping it at the time...but damn I regret selling my 3rd Gen Ram

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I never planned on ever selling my ‘08 Cummins.

It was my “forever” truck.
Had no choice though, life got in the way.

If I could buy it back today with the same 125K miles on it. it would be a no brainer.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Cummins guys are really putting the sell on in this thread. Ford guys are to embarrassed to admitting to owning a Ford. Duramax guys are like it's a good motor. When do we get to talk about tow capacities?

Cdog

Reaction score
I'm about to roll the dice on a 2021 F350 6.7 power stroke. After seeing GM commit to donating to blm I'm out. Time to try something new.

Dettom

Reaction score
I'm about to roll the dice on a 2021 F350 6.7 power stroke. After seeing GM commit to donating to blm I'm out. Time to try something new.
I just bought a 2020 F250, 6.7 Powerstroke with a 10 speed trans. So far, I’m very impressed. Towed my 26’ toy hauler with two harleys in it, all the way up here to South Dakota, from Havasu. Never even knew it was there. I’ve always had Chevys and my last truck was a Dmax, The Ford would blow it into the weeds. Kept having problems with my Chevy and decided to switch things up. I’ve only got 2,900 miles on it so far so we’ll see about reliability.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Another cummins fan here. But all of the big-3 make great rigs. Again, find the cleanest truck you can, on the best deal, and run with it. All of em have lemons. And all of em have trucks that run forever. If you’re buying it for the purpose of towing, especially a boat like a 42 fountain, get a dually. If you have an exceptional mechanic and don’t mind some issues, include the 6.0 ford on your list. But DO NOT buy a 6.4. I love my 16 6.7 cummins, and I can see stuff when I pop the hood, but not to say the others aren’t just as good. Buy a clean,
Well maintained rig of any make, and keep it stock or do mild mods, and you will be fine. A few hours of searching on various truck forums will give you the issues and fixes on each model. IMO, if you can find a clean low mile 95-97 12 valve cummins, or a 03-06 common rail cummins with a manual trans, that would be my first choice. Second would be the 7.3 ford. Then early Dmax, prior to 08. If looking newer, 6.7 powerstroke, 6.6 Dmax, or 6.7 cummins (manual or Aisin) and delete it.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Cummins guys are really putting the sell on in this thread. Ford guys are to embarrassed to admitting to owning a Ford. Duramax guys are like it's a good motor. When do we get to talk about tow capacities?
I'm not afraid to pull anything. My truck has the power to do it.

Cdog

Reaction score
I just bought a 2020 F250, 6.7 Powerstroke with a 10 speed trans. So far, I’m very impressed. Towed my 26’ toy hauler with two harleys in it, all the way up here to South Dakota, from Havasu. Never even knew it was there. I’ve always had Chevys and my last truck was a Dmax, The Ford would blow it into the weeds. Kept having problems with my Chevy and decided to switch things up. I’ve only got 2,900 miles on it so far so we’ll see about reliability.

Great feedback!! I’m really excited to put in my order come august. I’ve had my 06 Lbz since November 2005. Been a great truck but GM fucked up & im not buying... F350 platinum here I come.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
On a side note. If anyone is selling a dually. Hit me up.
Preferably looking for a ‘14 or newer Cummins aisin combo. But am open to any trucks that will tow 20+k.