WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cummins, Duramax or Powerstroke?

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
On a side note. If anyone is selling a dually. Hit me up.
Preferably looking for a ‘14 or newer Cummins aisin combo. But am open to any trucks that will tow 20+k.
Aren’t you coming from a medium duty? Why the change of heart?

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Aren’t you coming from a medium duty? Why the change of heart?

No change just need more trucks. lol.
Our desert seasons are starting to involve multiple 5th wheels multiple pre runnners, etc.
Due to some recent events I no longer Had a 3/4 Ton diesel Truck and now need to replace that so might as well replace with a one ton dually.

d4l

Reaction score
Cummins guys are really putting the sell on in this thread. Ford guys are to embarrassed to admitting to owning a Ford. Duramax guys are like it's a good motor. When do we get to talk about tow capacities?

Im in!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

d4l

Reaction score
Another cummins fan here. But all of the big-3 make great rigs. Again, find the cleanest truck you can, on the best deal, and run with it. All of em have lemons. And all of em have trucks that run forever. If you’re buying it for the purpose of towing, especially a boat like a 42 fountain, get a dually. If you have an exceptional mechanic and don’t mind some issues, include the 6.0 ford on your list. But DO NOT buy a 6.4. I love my 16 6.7 cummins, and I can see stuff when I pop the hood, but not to say the others aren’t just as good. Buy a clean,
Well maintained rig of any make, and keep it stock or do mild mods, and you will be fine. A few hours of searching on various truck forums will give you the issues and fixes on each model. IMO, if you can find a clean low mile 95-97 12 valve cummins, or a 03-06 common rail cummins with a manual trans, that would be my first choice. Second would be the 7.3 ford. Then early Dmax, prior to 08. If looking newer, 6.7 powerstroke, 6.6 Dmax, or 6.7 cummins (manual or Aisin) and delete it.

Dually are hard to come by here and the price go up alot on those. But I will see what I can come by, not ready for it yet but figured I start my research ahead. The 42 Fountain was an example, as it pretty much as big as it gets here, sure there are bigger ones but those roll on full size trucks.

As of the regulations on the weight and licences most boat owners here are not allowed to tow themselfes, many do it but with a bit of a hickup each time. So there is a market for towing boats here, aswell as many other heavier stuff ofcorse.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Post up what you find. The inmates can dissect the truck and let you know what you’re looking at.

d4l

Reaction score
Post up what you find. The inmates can dissect the truck and let you know what you’re looking at.

Rough to translate the adds lol

What do you concider early vs newer?
Also what did you mean in the end? Manual or Alison and delete it?

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
A manual trans cummins would be #1. But others are still good choices. Post em up to get the inmates opinion. Don’t wanna rush into anything.

d4l

Reaction score
A manual trans cummins would be #1. But others are still good choices. Post em up to get the inmates opinion. Don’t wanna rush into anything.

Any of the 3 that have gearboxes/transmissions you should avoid?

d4l

Reaction score
What would the cost be to import a truck from the US? Is that economicly possible?Lot more to choose from

Too expensive :/ cost of truck plus shipping, can probably get it around 10k, then pay tax on that total sum 25% when it gets here, plus custom and registration fees.

If I would buy a whole rig, wich I Hope to afford one day then it would make sense tho. Boat trailer and truck.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Any of the 3 that have gearboxes/transmissions you should avoid?

I wouldn’t say that any of them need to be avoided, but I would expect any automatic trans behind a diesel truck to need a rebuild after 150k. Not that they necessarily will, but I would budget and prepare for it. Same for the clutch and flywheel on a manual trans rig.

glamis0812

Reaction score
Cummins guys are really putting the sell on in this thread. Ford guys are to embarrassed to admitting to owning a Ford. Duramax guys are like it's a good motor. When do we get to talk about tow capacities?

IMG_0651.jpg

Definitely not embarrassed here I love my 2020 F450 it’s crazy how it tows my 48’ Weekend Warrior and my partycat. For the OP in those years you are looking at I would look for a Dmax dually and change the crappy hitch or a Cummins truck with those horrible mirrors, both are great.

Vmjtc3

Banned
Reaction score
I don’t have any experience with new diesel trucks, my old f-450 7.3 only has 108,000 on it. When I wear it out I’ll look in to what’s new, if I’m still alive by then 😂😂

Ladsm

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Dodge 2500 and had my first mechanical failure at 187K miles. I lost #5 injector. I was able to pull all 6 out in my driveway with basic tools in 2 hours and reassemble the entire thing and adjust the valves in 6 hours by myself and youtube videos. Total cost for injectors, oil, filters $2K. Should be good to see 300K now. Its back to 19-21 MPG on the fwy and pulls like an animal.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Looks bad ass

View attachment 899380
Definitely not embarrassed here I love my 2020 F450 it’s crazy how it tows my 48’ Weekend Warrior and my partycat. For the OP in those years you are looking at I would look for a Dmax dually and change the crappy hitch or a Cummins truck with those horrible mirrors, both are great.

Reactions: d4l

d4l

Reaction score
I wouldn’t say that any of them need to be avoided, but I would expect any automatic trans behind a diesel truck to need a rebuild after 150k. Not that they necessarily will, but I would budget and prepare for it. Same for the clutch and flywheel on a manual trans rig.

About half if the trucks from this era We talk about here have rebuilt/reinforced transmissions. Some might not point it out I guess, just need to ask. Might be better with a slighter higher mile one with done trans rather then lower miles and not had the trans done.