WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cummins V Drive

HSR

Reaction score
That’s Merlin. He’s from havasu. I used to do a lot of rock crawling with him. Now he’s on the discovery channel show Vegas Rat Rods. He’s a good old hillbilly dude. The type of guy you’d want with you if you were stranded somewhere. He can Macguyver just about anything together.

Backlash

Reaction score
I think someone recently posted a thread saying a diesel wouldn't work that well in a v-drive. Guess it does. :D

prosthogod

Reaction score
That’s Merlin. He’s from havasu. I used to do a lot of rock crawling with him. Now he’s on the discovery channel show Vegas Rat Rods. He’s a good old hillbilly dude. The type of guy you’d want with you if you were stranded somewhere. He can Macguyver just about anything together.
Y but that poor drive will blow soon with his throttle foot.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Y but that poor drive will blow soon with his throttle foot.
...Vdrive will most likely survive...most will take way more HP than 600...
...As far as the throttling...It may be that the guys just reading the rollers... sometime it is a good idea to back out of the throttle so it doesn’t hurt when you slam back down in smaller boats...

Yellowboat

Reaction score
...Vdrive will most likely survive...most will take way more HP than 600...
...As far as the throttling...It may be that the guys just reading the rollers... sometime it is a good idea to back out of the throttle so it doesn’t hurt when you slam back down in smaller boats...
it's not hp that breaks things it's torque. A 600 hp Cummins could easily have 1000 ftlbs of torque, not just peak, but over almost the entire rpm range of the motor.

You start finding weak links in the motor and drive train real fast.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
it's not hp that breaks things it's torque. A 600 hp Cummins could easily have 1000 ftlbs of torque, not just peak, but over almost the entire rpm range of the motor.

...hmmm???... didn’t think about the torque ...But on the other hand I don’t think the resistance of the prop against the water and weight of the boat...is equal to tires on asphalt and weight of a generally heavy vehicle...then again... I’m just going out on a limb here and guessing???
...Also motor/trans may be mounted to far aft???...
...Can’t really tell because I am looking at the video on my phone but it looks like if the fuel tanks are fiberglass... that with diesel fuel the guy is never gonna have to worry about ethanol eating up the tanks???...

Last edited:

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, do any of the fuel dock's in Havasu have diesel?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

He’s not going to break anything in the drive line. V drives are crazy simple and strong.. Torque etc has to be met with resistance and the boat doesn’t weigh much, etc..

welldigger00

Reaction score
We run a Casale v drive in our trophy truck. You’re not going to punish anything in this world as hard as off road racing. We’re running 39’s, and the engine makes over 700 ponies. We just came back from Mexico a few weeks ago, I never saw the v drive oil temp get over 160*. They are incredibly tough units.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yellowboat

Reaction score
He’s not going to break anything in the drive line. V drives are crazy simple and strong.. Torque etc has to be met with resistance and the boat doesn’t weigh much, etc..
What about the other parts? Like struts props bushings, shaft seals and etc?

welldigger00

Reaction score
Someone needs to put Alexi’s video up. Talk about torque...

guest hs

Reaction score
I wonder what the weight difference is between that and a BBC? I wonder why he keeps wacking the throttle and not staying in it?

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Jim Best raced a Diesel GN for a while.

DSC05124.JPG
DSC00231.JPG

Cdog

Reaction score
We run a Casale v drive in our trophy truck. You’re not going to punish anything in this world as hard as off road racing. We’re running 39’s, and the engine makes over 700 ponies. We just came back from Mexico a few weeks ago, I never saw the v drive oil temp get over 160*. They are incredibly tough units.

No shit? How does that work and where do you use it?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
No shit? How does that work and where do you use it?

Usual configuration is motor sits behind, then trans, then v-drive at the front, with a driveline that returns back under the truck to the rear end, the v-drive usually is an underdrive so that you can put a reasonable rear end ratio that has a decent number of teeth on the pinion, not some crazy low 5.8x:1 ratio that has a pinion with only 6 teeth on it, and wears out like crazy

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
...hmmm???... didn’t think about the torque ...But on the other hand I don’t think the resistance of the prop against the water and weight of the boat...is equal to tires on asphalt and weight of a generally heavy vehicle...then again... I’m just going out on a limb here and guessing???
...Also motor/trans may be mounted to far aft???...
...Can’t really tell because I am looking at the video on my phone but it looks like if the fuel tanks are fiberglass... that with diesel fuel the guy is never gonna have to worry about ethanol eating up the tanks???...
You ever see a twisted / snapped prop shaft ? That’s torque that did it , and a propeller that hooked up really well .

92 cole

Reaction score
I would be more worried about ripping the stringers out of the boat with that much torque, especially with a throttle jockey like that, but on the other hand I believe he is off and on the throttle to keep the generated torque down a pinch to not tear the stringers out! I also would like to see the RPM the engine is running at and just how much he has turned the pump up. This is obvious by the black smoke. As far as fuel consumption I would not worry about a fuel dock with diesel till tomorrow. M

welldigger00

Reaction score
Usual configuration is motor sits behind, then trans, then v-drive at the front, with a driveline that returns back under the truck to the rear end, the v-drive usually is an underdrive so that you can put a reasonable rear end ratio that has a decent number of teeth on the pinion, not some crazy low 5.8x:1 ratio that has a pinion with only 6 teeth on it, and wears out like crazy

Bingo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk