WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cupid’s Hot Dogs. “Was Better When the Old Man Ran It.”

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Cupid’s Hot Dogs has been an institution around The West SFV for at least 70 years.
Locations expanded and contracted maybe to a max of 5 or six at one time.

Old man Walsh was particular how he ran it.
Steamed natural casing dog, steamed special bun from the 4S bakery, and his own home brew chili blended with his special Tamale’ sauce.

Walsh passed away and the kids took it over.

The Chatsworth location abandon the Classic Cupid’s entirely. The Simi location was a broken, filthy mess that served nothing like what made Cupid’s popular. People got sick on the dogs on top all that.

So now we read in the local rag they are folding.

Shame.
Better when the old man ran it.

Last edited:

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
Bummer, there is/was a location right around the corner from one of my customers, always meant to stop, but then again if it wasnt like it used to be probably better that I didnt. I hate to see old cool hole in the wall places go away.

Reactions: TPC

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Pride and craftsmanship are going away in a lot of businesses. I notice it from the old car thing. It's easier to replace than repair, so that's what gets done. I would assume food prep will be the same. Cheaper and faster. With the cost of business, not just in Cali, corners are cut to maintain a price point. Quality suffers, then sales slip, and the doors are closed.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Pride and craftsmanship are going away in a lot of businesses. I notice it from the old car thing. It's easier to replace than repair, so that's what gets done. I would assume food prep will be the same. Cheaper and faster. With the cost of business, not just in Cali, corners are cut to maintain a price point. Quality suffers, then sales slip, and the doors are closed.
Yes indeed.....With food, the issue starts with the ability to replicate with new people that are not in tune with the original facility and the small things that made it successful. Cooks have different approaches and prep techniques. Ingredients get subbed for convenience and cost far too often.

Popeye's is an example of how when a chain expands to far, quality suffers. Today's Popeyes product are subpar to the originals.

The chains that train and teach the mission statement of the original are the ones that can replicate the success of the original and they survive.

Sound like Cupid's should have closed when the owner passed. the kids had no clue and ran it into the ground

Tank

Reaction score
There was one in Oxnard for a couple years about 10 years ago. Place was clean and nice and GOOOOOOD! Love their chili and those casing dogs. I think the oxnard location wasn't that great and they just didn't make it. Place was tasty though for sure.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Yes indeed.....With food, the issue starts with the ability to replicate with new people that are not in tune with the original facility and the small things that made it successful. Cooks have different approaches and prep techniques. Ingredients get subbed for convenience and cost far too often.

Popeye's is an example of how when a chain expands to far, quality suffers. Today's Popeyes product are subpar to the originals.

The chains that train and teach the mission statement of the original are the ones that can replicate the success of the original and they survive.

Sound like Cupid's should have closed when the owner passed. the kids had no clue and ran it into the ground
I wonder how much of it is the concept of "Having skin in the game". The founders of any business put more than time in. Owners who bought a business have lots of money invested. New employees are in it for a paycheck. People that inherited a business, may not have worked much in the business.

There is a pretty large manufacturer of roof supplies in Cali that had it down. The kids, grandkids actually, had to work in the yard for a couple years, then the factory, to pay for their college. The kids knew the business, regardless if they were going to come back to it. My friend was dating the daughter. Smart, good looking gal...that could drive and strap a flatbed semi after loading it. She understood work, and how the family company was operated. That impressed me.

HitIt

Reaction score
When I was a kid my dad and I would go every time we went to the valley for car parts, hobby store, whatever. We would split 3 dogs, chili and mustard only, and a large root beer. Great memories. Sad to hear they went down hill and are closing.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I hit the lindley one a few months ago. We'll sort of in the area and thought I'd drive by and grab one. Dog didn't snap, Chile had an out of the can taste and feel. Price had jumped again.
I told myself, well it's the last time I'm coming here. It's too bad they're folding, but with a new product I don't care...

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
I hit the lindley one a few months ago. We'll sort of in the area and thought I'd drive by and grab one. Dog didn't snap, Chile had an out of the can taste and feel. Price had jumped again.
I told myself, well it's the last time I'm coming here. It's too bad they're folding, but with a new product I don't care...

I ate a lot of dogs at that Northridge shop, bummer, but I don't live there anymore either so c'est la vie

jmeads

Reaction score
Cupid’s Hot Dogs has been an institution around The West SFV for at least 70 years.
Locations expanded and contracted maybe to a max of 5 or six at one time.

Old man Walsh was particular how he ran it.
Steamed natural casing dog, steamed special bun from the 4S bakery, and his own home brew chili blended with his special Tamale’ sauce.

Walsh passed away and the kids took it over.

The Chatsworth location abandon the Classic Cupid’s entirely. The Simi location was a broken, filthy mess that served nothing like what made Cupid’s popular. People got sick on the dogs on top all that.

So now we read in the local rag they are folding.

Shame.
Better when the old man ran it.

What I find with a lot of family run businesses, one generation makes the money, the next spends it and loses it all. ! Very typical unfortunately.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
What I find with a lot of family run businesses, one generation makes the money, the next spends it and loses it all. ! Very typical unfortunately.
Explains a lot when you read how many of the rich don't leave the kids a whole bunch.....;)

500bbc

Reaction score
Three locations still open and as good as they ever were. With the limited menu and, intense competition and high rents I'm sure they'll all go by the wayside as their leases expire.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I was having a drink at Bartons and the manager of the local Fridays came in for a drink. He said in Calif if you arent on your game you'll fail fast.
Van Nuys cupids has folded.

Singleton

Reaction score
50% of family business fail when the 2nd generation takes over and that number jumps to 70% when the 3rd generation gets control

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The Van Nuys location was right smack at the Civic Center did a hell of a biz with the Govt Employees.
Use to go there often. Closed.
Tarzana location closed.
Simi Acorn reports the Simi Location closing.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
... San Fernando location closed a few years ago... May have been a franchise not sure???...

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...I had noticed the same issues when I was there about six months ago...