WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Curious about pump set back in '74 Tahiti...

Nikwho

Reaction score
Hello guys,
This time around I'm looking to just build a family cruiser/hot rod. I am in the process of building an aluminum headed 496 BBC. May look to a supercharger in future. I am looking to produce 650HP.

I don't have specific performance goals in mind. Just a good family cruiser. I currently have a '74 Tahiti (Schuster Boats) 18' boat with a mild 455 and Berkeley 12JC pump and hydraulic Place Diverter. This boat basically sits as it did when it left the factory, aside from the Offenhauser single carb tunnel ram. Still has the old 4010 R84018-3 Holley on it.. I just yanked it and ordered a rebuild kit. I aim to have someone go through the pump, or may look for a 12JG to have built and keep the boat running while building my BBC and sourcing everything else that I need for my swap. I just recently acquired the boat. Its a fun little boat. I don't want/need a race boat. I have a tendency to want to tinker/build/change everything. My questions are as follows:

- Would there be any benefit in considering a set back pump/ride plate with this combo?

- Is it worth setting back a 12JC pump?

- Am I starting with the wrong hull? I could keep this boat as is, and just enjoy it for what it is, until I build a new boat. It's an otherwise good little boat. What hull would be better to run as a 4-5 seat family river boat? Anything inherently wrong or flawed with this hull?

What considerations am I missing here? I just sourced this hull, and wanted to formulate a bit of a game plan before foolishly dumping time and money into it.

Any thoughts/intelligent opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Nik

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Remember MPH is "hard fought" in Jets , for example 50 hp will be a barley noticable increase , re the family boat , a set back even a DIY will cost you a good chunk of change for what I would consider a small gain if any , We've done countless set backs typically on small light boats with big power but not the family cruiser , save your money for your next boat when this one doesnt thrill you any more

Nikwho

Reaction score
Thats more or less what I thought. I appreciate the response! Figured that it would possibly not offer any improvement, for a lot of work.

fmo24

Reaction score
Thats more or less what I thought. I appreciate the response! Figured that it would possibly not offer any improvement, for a lot of work.
As said use it as is and look for a 21 tunnel. Eliminator or something along those lines. More room and better performance gains Are achievable

brgrcru

Reaction score
keep it as is, look for a better boat.

Nikwho

Reaction score
Yeah, that's the plan. This old Tahiti is all original. It's a good old boat, for what it is. Im gonna keep the 455 Olds in it and continue to build my 496 BBC. I will look for a good hull to put it in down the road. Appreciate your guys' responses while I worked this all out.