WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Current Situation - a picture thread

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Looks like they're still running the Crystaliners 👍
Yeah . . . don't quote me on this . . . but my neighbors Son is a lifeguard with the state looking to get on the boats.
He said that they just ordered a couple new Crystaliners.
The Crystaliner retail location and boat yard in Costa Mesa is no longer in business . . . so I was wondering if someone bought the molds???
Is Seaway or Radovich still making boats??
Just what He said . . . I have no clue.

JD D05

Reaction score
Did this with a couple good friends over the last 5 days. It's was suppose to be a built trans and turbo kit but turned into all new coolers, rear main seal, t case seal, new fuel system, upper oil pan was leaking so had to address that. Turbo kit is all new downpipe, exhaust manifolds pedestal etc. Lots of work. Just the oil pan at the dealer is billed at 40 hours.
20230119_172718.jpg
20230119_172729.jpg
20230122_140930.jpg
20230125_161507.jpg

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Awesome. Please tell him congrats. He must be one hell of a player.

I was sponsored by Marc Pro when I raced bikes. They are really neat units.

One of my old team skinsuits. Mine had the Nevada flag in the 24 lettering as I won the Nv/California pro team time trial championship View attachment 1192794
Reported to staff for spam!!!!

DWC

Reaction score
LOL. I wish that I had walked 40 minutes to enjoy the sunset with you and Steph. LOL
I was gonna see if Rykley wanted to join us, figured he might not be over the bowling lesson yet😉

5216CB5C-F238-40E0-B7CF-76D6773B46BA.gif

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I was gonna see if Rykley wanted to join us, figured he might not be over the bowling lesson yet😉

View attachment 1192857
LOL He is back in Hawaii. He would have been willing to meet up. I am sure that he would have driven though. He was just at CPK Ala Moana this afternoon when we talked this afternoon.

Reactions: DWC

Taboma

Reaction score
Yeah . . . don't quote me on this . . . but my neighbors Son is a lifeguard with the state looking to get on the boats.
He said that they just ordered a couple new Crystaliners.
The Crystaliner retail location and boat yard in Costa Mesa is no longer in business . . . so I was wondering if someone bought the molds???
Is Seaway or Radovich still making boats??
Just what He said . . . I have no clue.
Crystaliner boats are and have been, a product of Willard Marine since 1957. Recently moved and are now located in Oceanside and Chesapeake Virginia. They make some really cool boats, most all tailored towards military, fire and rescue types in both fiberglass and aluminum.
The one we commonly see off the beach, used by the lifeguards are the 33' Surf Pro.
There website is worth a look see as I had no idea they made so many various styled military and LEO types.

Willard Marine.JPG

Not familiar with Seaway, there's a company called Eastern Boats that makes models more associated with east coast commercial fishing.

Radovcich, now there's a company that seems to have become as illusive as unicorns. 😁 There's a blurb about a guy named Vel, who's still doing repair work out of their yard in Wilmington.

Radovcich.JPG

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Crystaliner boats are and have been, a product of Willard Marine since 1957. Recently moved and are now located in Oceanside and Chesapeake Virginia. They make some really cool boats, most all tailored towards military, fire and rescue types in both fiberglass and aluminum.
The one we commonly see off the beach, used by the lifeguards are the 33' Surf Pro.
There website is worth a look see as I had no idea they made so many various styled military and LEO types.

View attachment 1192945

Not familiar with Seaway, there's a company called Eastern Boats that makes models more associated with east coast commercial fishing.

Radovcich, now there's a company that seems to have become as illusive as unicorns. 😁 There's a blurb about a guy named Vel, who's still doing repair work out of their yard in Wilmington.

View attachment 1192946
Here's a Seaway.
Very well built glass over plywood.
San Pedro I believe.

lacofd_lifeguard_baywatch_avalon_rescue_boat_1.jpg

Boat US still uses a couple of them I believe in the LA /Kings Harbor/ MDR area.
Been around a long time.

DOHBrXKVQAExlEK.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
Here's a Seaway.
Very well built glass over plywood.
San Pedro I believe.

View attachment 1193114
Boat US still uses a couple of them I believe in the LA /Kings Harbor/ MDR area.
Been around a long time.

View attachment 1193115
Cool, didn't know about these west coast Seaway at all. 👍
Article about them in The Hull Truth I found, was from 2012 and mentions they're closed, but were built in Long Beach. Seems Seaway, Willard (Crystaliner) and Radon were the three who all competed n this line of boats.

4Waters

Reaction score
Cool, didn't know about these west coast Seaway at all. 👍
Article about them in The Hull Truth I found, was from 2012 and mentions they're closed, but were built in Long Beach. Seems Seaway, Willard (Crystaliner) and Radon were the three who all competed n this line of boats.
The Radon's look well built as well, LACo lifeguards uses them at Castaic, the boat barely wiggles going over a wakeboat wake on plane

Taboma

Reaction score
The Radon's look well built as well, LACo lifeguards uses them at Castaic, the boat barely wiggles going over a wakeboat wake on plane
My only exposure (At least that I was aware of) with Radon boats are the numerous Open Skiff styled ones used here in San Diego for kelp-bed commercial fishing, sea urchin divers and lobster pot pullers. They are ROUGH to look at, both inside and out and appear to have been chopper shot with a cannon. 🤣 They also appear as you could beat one with sledgehammer and it would just laugh at you. So I was surprised fairly recently when RDP's very own prestigious member Mr. Bob 'twocents' Brown, provided a fun historical account of Radon having built some for recreational use. I'm sure I've seen the one at Castaic and assumed it was another Crystaliner.

4Waters

Reaction score
My only exposure (At least that I was aware of) with Radon boats are the numerous Open Skiff styled ones used here in San Diego for kelp-bed commercial fishing, sea urchin divers and lobster pot pullers. They are ROUGH to look at, both inside and out and appear to have been chopper shot with a cannon. 🤣 They also appear as you could beat one with sledgehammer and it would just laugh at you. So I was surprised fairly recently when RDP's very own prestigious member Mr. Bob 'twocents' Brown, provided a fun historical account of Radon having built some for recreational use. I'm sure I've seen the one at Castaic and assumed it was another Crystaliner.
s299476110973298770_p5_i1_w500.jpeg
image039.jpg
image043.jpg
lifeguard_09272021.jpeg

Meaney77

Reaction score
No the heads were at the machine shop for like 4 months I didn't get them back till September by that time it was off-road prep time LOL
Copy that-
I waited for over a year for my boat motor to be done due to "Covid supply chain issues" I was able to squeeze 2 back to back trips in September and then it was desert season.

Grenaded my Mendeola and it's getting fixed now, running into delays for parts and pressure plate.

It's been an expensive few months for the toys....meanwhile my wife keeps telling me she would love to go on a nice vacation somewhere other than desert, glamis, and the river...🤣

4Waters

Reaction score
Second all comers track meet today. My son a daughter are both throwers. My son still throws Shotput at club level and my daughter throws Shotput and Discuss in HS.

My son is not allowed to throw Discuss at club events but he can at all comers events. His age throws the same weight as HS girls, 1kg. Last Saturday was his first time throwing Discuss and we did 1 practice on Friday, he ended up out throwing several of the multi year HS girls including his sister, he threw 48'9", my daughter threw a personal best of 44'4" an improvement from 40'9" from last year and the long for the event in 1kg was around 60' so he did pretty damn good. 👍

Last week his Shotput was 21'5.5" and an improvement from 19'10" from last season with a 6lbs shot.

We couldn't get any pics last week as my wife and I were working the events.

Today was cold as hell, boys were throwing Discuss at the same time girls were throwing Shot, due to the amount of throwers my son had to throw with the boys but still threw the 1kg.

When they started throwing it was 43°, it was really difficult to get moving and everyone was off of their personal best by several feet in Discuss with the exception of one kid who improved by over 10' to 112' with a 1.5kg Discuss. My son was only able to muster up a 40'9" throw but he also had zero competition. My daughter could only get a 38' 8" throw in even though she threw later when it was up to 59°

This week my son had some competition in Shotput as a teammate from track and football came to throw as well, they both threw awesome and fed off each other, my son threw 22'9.5", a monster improvement from last week and his teammate threw 23'10" also an improvement for him. Great to see a little competition. My daughter did not improve in shot either today ,she just couldn't get into the zone today.

My daughter

20230128_111038.jpg
20230128_111621.jpg
IMG_20230128_131755.jpg
IMG_20230128_131801.jpg
IMG_20230128_131804.jpg
IMG_20230128_131808.jpg
20230128_092501.jpg

20230128_092936.jpg

my son
20230128_090902.jpg
20230128_090412.jpg
20230128_104421.jpg
20230128_104853.jpg
20230128_105329.jpg

Little side story. Years ago in my daughter's first season of club track we (Running Rebels) competed against a Santa Clarita team called the Hawks, the throwing coach had his oldest (boy) and middle kid (girl) throwing and their form was artwork, absolutely gorgeous form, from the back of the ring full Olympic style rotation, his son threw an 8.8lbs shot over 40' and his daughter threw a 6lbs shot around 35', mind you, she is the same age as my daughter and my daughter was in the average of the field at around 15'😳 well after that season their team collapsed and we never saw them again but our family often thought about where they ended up. Well wouldn't you know it she (brother is in college now) showed up today and threw in the same absolutely gorgeous form an 8.8lbs Shotput 37"?", 4-5' beyond her closest competition. Then we went over to the Discuss, now we have a girl that throws right at 100' and is one of the top ranked in the area. This girl who has never thrown competitive Discuss in her life set a statement in a monstrous way. Her warm up throws were over 100' and when it was all said and done she threw 125'1" 😳🤯😳 in a gorgeous full Olympic style rotation, today was her first time doing anything track since 2019 and she set the bar HIGH as fuk.

It's amazing to see these kids improve like this over the years, we do not compete against Golden Valley HS except in invitational events, so we will be seeing them again this year at a couple invitationals and I'm looking forward to it.

Track season has started

Attachments

• 20230128_091548.jpg
    20230128_091548.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Second all comers track meet today. My son a daughter are both throwers. My son still throws Shotput at club level and my daughter throws Shotput and Discuss in HS.

My son is not allowed to throw Discuss at club events but he can at all comers events. His age throws the same weight as HS girls, 1kg. Last Saturday was his first time throwing Discuss and we did 1 practice on Friday, he ended up out throwing several of the multi year HS girls including his sister, he threw 48'9", my daughter threw a personal best of 44'4" an improvement from 40'9" from last year and the long for the event in 1kg was around 60' so he did pretty damn good. 👍

Last week his Shotput was 21'5.5" and an improvement from 19'10" from last season with a 6lbs shot.

We couldn't get any pics last week as my wife and I were working the events.

Today was cold as hell, boys were throwing Discuss at the same time girls were throwing Shot, due to the amount of throwers my son had to throw with the boys but still threw the 1kg.

When they started throwing it was 43°, it was really difficult to get moving and everyone was off of their personal best by several feet in Discuss with the exception of one kid who improved by over 10' to 112' with a 1.5kg Discuss. My son was only able to muster up a 40'9" throw but he also had zero competition. My daughter could only get a 38' 8" throw in even though she threw later when it was up to 59°

This week my son had some competition in Shotput as a teammate from track and football came to throw as well, they both threw awesome and fed off each other, my son threw 22'9.5", a monster improvement from last week and his teammate threw 23'10" also an improvement for him. Great to see a little competition. My daughter did not improve in shot either today ,she just couldn't get into the zone today.

My daughter

View attachment 1193575 View attachment 1193576 View attachment 1193577 View attachment 1193578 View attachment 1193579 View attachment 1193580 View attachment 1193581

View attachment 1193582

my son
View attachment 1193584 View attachment 1193585 View attachment 1193586 View attachment 1193587 View attachment 1193588

Little side story. Years ago in my daughter's first season of club track we (Running Rebels) competed against a Santa Clarita team called the Hawks, the throwing coach had his oldest (boy) and middle kid (girl) throwing and their form was artwork, absolutely gorgeous form, from the back of the ring full Olympic style rotation, his son threw an 8.8lbs shot over 40' and his daughter threw a 6lbs shot around 35', mind you, she is the same age as my daughter and my daughter was in the average of the field at around 15'😳 well after that season their team collapsed and we never saw them again but our family often thought about where they ended up. Well wouldn't you know it she (brother is in college now) showed up today and threw in the same absolutely gorgeous form an 8.8lbs Shotput 37"?", 4-5' beyond her closest competition. Then we went over to the Discuss, now we have a girl that throws right at 100' and is one of the top ranked in the area. This girl who has never thrown competitive Discuss in her life set a statement in a monstrous way. Her warm up throws were over 100' and when it was all said and done she threw 125'1" 😳🤯😳 in a gorgeous full Olympic style rotation, today was her first time doing anything track since 2019 and she set the bar HIGH as fuk.

It's amazing to see these kids improve like this over the years, we do not compete against Golden Valley HS except in invitational events, so we will be seeing them again this year at a couple invitationals and I'm looking forward to it.

Track season has started
Track season is best ever.... I threw both shot & discus in HS in VA..... 1974-'77 right about time of Brian Oldfield introducing his spin discus move to shot. There was only one dude who adopted that shot spin well in my league back then and he distroyed us straight line throwers by 5'. Fun Fact: His name by the way was Clancy Brown who later became a famous actor starting with playing the badass in original Highlander flick. Shot & discus kids rock!

4Waters

Reaction score
Track season is best ever.... I threw both shot & discus in HS in VA..... 1974-'77 right about time of Brian Oldfield introducing his spin discus move to shot. There was only one dude who adopted that shot spin well in my league back then and he distroyed us straight line throwers by 5'. Fun Fact: His name by the way was Clancy Brown who later became a famous actor starting with playing the badass in original Highlander flick. Shot & discus kids rock!
I didn't realize that the rotation in shot was fairly new, great bit of history and yes throwers rock👍👍

BTW, you can still throw at these All comer meets, from 18-49 you have to throw a 16lbs shot and a 2.5kg discuss, when you hit 50 you drop down to a 13lbs shot a 2kg discus

Last edited:

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I didn't realize that the rotation in shot was fairly new, great bit of history and yes throwers rock👍👍

BTW, you can still throw at these All comer meets, from 18-49 you have to throw a 16lbs shot and a 2.5kg discuss, when you hit 50 you drop down to a 13lbs shot a 2kg discus
Thats very cool info. Im 63 now but hear I'm still valid in some regards, lol. Do you see HS kids at the events using spin in shot? Its tough to master even though most of em I'm sure use it in discus. I could never master it and my straight line form shot was a school record @ 55' my discus was average at best in that era. Clancys discus was so long they had to clear the track on other side of football field... he was throwing an incredible 170-180s as I recall. His shot throws as a senior were around 60'. No idea what the new era of kids is throwing but I'd be curious if they've advanced with training, diet etc... HS shot was 12lb then and I gave college shot a try but at 16lbs my wrist really couldn't support it like the thicker boys throwing in college.

4Waters

Reaction score
Thats very cool info. Im 63 now but hear I'm still valid in some regards, lol. Do you see HS kids at the events using spin in shot? Its tough to master even though most of em I'm sure use it in discus. I could never master it and my straight line form shot was a school record @ 55' my discus was average at best in that era. Clancys discus was so long they had to clear the track on other side of football field... he was throwing an incredible 170-180s as I recall. His shot throws as a senior were around 60'. No idea what the new era of kids is throwing but I'd be curious if they've advanced with training, diet etc... HS shot was 12lb then and I gave college shot a try but at 16lbs my wrist really couldn't support it like the thicker boys throwing in college.
Yes, HS boys shot is still 12lbs and yes several do the spin in both shot and disk, the long boys in disk was last year around 150', he graduated last year and turned down a D2 scholarship for football. At 60 I think you drop to 12lbs maybe even 10lbs. Long in discus in girls that I have scene so far was today at 125'1" by a 10th grade girl. I'm a pretty strong guy but I don't think I could out throw her.

Reactions: DWC

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Yes, HS boys shot is still 12lbs and yes several do the spin in both shot and disk, the long boys in disk was last year around 150', he graduated last year and turned down a D2 scholarship for football. At 60 I think you drop to 12lbs maybe even 10lbs. Long in discus in girls that I have scene so far was today at 125'1" by a 10th grade girl. I'm a pretty strong guy but I don't think I could out throw her.
A girl in 10th grade throwing 125' is badass. She'll go much further by senior. Thats a long throw.... discus all technique and finesse, speed, coordination and foot work as you know by watching your kids evolve .... but you can beast mode a shot throw and get sloppy ;)

69hondo

Reaction score
Copy that-
I waited for over a year for my boat motor to be done due to "Covid supply chain issues" I was able to squeeze 2 back to back trips in September and then it was desert season.

Grenaded my Mendeola and it's getting fixed now, running into delays for parts and pressure plate.

It's been an expensive few months for the toys....meanwhile my wife keeps telling me she would love to go on a nice vacation somewhere other than desert, glamis, and the river...🤣
Lol. I hear the same thing from the wife often so I know how that goes. Sorry about the trans. Who's rebuilding it?

4Waters

Reaction score
A girl in 10th grade throwing 125' is badass. She'll go much further by senior. Thats a long throw.... discus all technique and finesse, speed, coordination and foot work as you know by watching your kids evolve .... but you can beast mode a shot throw and get sloppy ;)
Go by your local HS and ask when the head track coach when the all comers meets are, the money that is collected goes to the track team, both schools here in Simi host them, all athletes and spectators pay, usually no more than 10.00 and brings in a pretty good chunk of change for 1 day. Today probably had 250-300 athletes from 10-60 years of age

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Go by your local HS and ask when the head track coach when the all comers meets are, the money that is collected goes to the track team, both schools here in Simi host them, all athletes and spectators pay, usually no more than 10.00 and brings in a pretty good chunk of change for 1 day. Today probably had 250-300 athletes from 10-60 years of age
You just caused me to do a search of my areas HS track meets for 2023. Apparently I'm a bit early cause I saw last years meets are March- Mayish. I'd like to go see my two local highschools meets and watch the shot/ disuc kids throw. Looks like west coast schools have Invitational meets which was always cool as a kid. I also searched last years studs in area highschools and looks like shots only maxing around 50' and discuss was 150' at least in the coastal region schools. Maybe larger corn fed kids inland throw longer.

4Waters

Reaction score
You just caused me to do a search of my areas HS track meets for 2023. Apparently I'm a bit early cause I saw last years meets are March- Mayish. I'd like to go see my two local highschools meets and watch the shot/ disuc kids throw. Looks like west coast schools have Invitational meets which was always cool as a kid. I also searched last years studs in area highschools and looks like shots only maxing around 50' and discuss was 150' at least in the coastal region schools. Maybe larger corn fed kids inland throw longer.
We're in Simi and the kid that threw 150 was from Texas, LOL but yeah our boys are around those numbers as well. Sorry about sending you down a rabbit hole, I think🤣

Meaney77

Reaction score
Lol. I hear the same thing from the wife often so I know how that goes. Sorry about the trans. Who's rebuilding it?
Glad im not the only one hearing it!

Johnny Burns at Transaxle Engineering in Chatsworth, he does great work.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Taking a stab at my Moms Chicken Ole' Casserole recipe for my Pops.
Super basic.
1 chicken chunked, 1 can cream of mushroom, 1 can cream of chicken, cup of milk, some green chili chunks, a hit of salsa, cut pieces of a dozen corn tortilla, fritos, & a boat load of chedder.
Layer each one , top with Fritos ,wrap in foil and toss in the fridge for a while.
Bake at 325.
Fingers crossed he digs it.

IMG_0346.jpeg

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
Taking a stab at my Moms Chicken Ole' Casserole recipe for my Pops.
Super basic.
1 chicken chunked, 1 can cream of mushroom, 1 can cream of chicken, cup of milk, some green chili chunks, a hit of salsa, cut pieces of a dozen corn tortilla, fritos, & a boat load of chedder.
Layer each one , top with Fritos ,wrap in foil and toss in the fridge for a while.
Bake at 325.
Fingers crossed he digs it.

View attachment 1193988
How was it? Looks great!

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Two 1st places at the first state race of the season.

View attachment 1193998 View attachment 1193999
Miss those days, both my kids raced for years, both were NAG riders for a time, then they slowly got other interests, and we eventually faded away from the National Scene. We traveled ALL over the US, and ran a couple Worlds races in Aus, and England.
Metro was a cool track with a cool vibe, and had an awesome snack bar.

We still frequent the Bellflower track on busy weekends to help out the Track operator.

Have fun.

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
Miss those days, both my kids raced for years, both were NAG riders for a time, then they slowly got other interests, and we eventually faded away from the National Scene. We traveled ALL over the US, and ran a couple Worlds races in Aus, and England.
Metro was a cool track with a cool vibe, and had an awesome snack bar.

We still frequent the Bellflower track on busy weekends to help out the Track operator.

Have fun.

Not diehard enough for NAG, but I’ll chase State and Gold Cup. Bellflower is our home track. Tammy is the $hit. Usually there on Mondays and Fridays for local racing.

Reactions: DLC

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Not diehard enough for NAG, but I’ll chase State and Gold Cup. Bellflower is our home track. Tammy is the $hit. Usually there on Mondays and Fridays for local racing.

I'm sure the next big race, we'll be out there helping.

westair

Reaction score
Is something going on in havasu? .... or just passing through
IMG-4074 (2).jpg