WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Current status in the Toyhauler RV industry?

Cdog

Reaction score
So I sold my 2018 Genesis GS34 over the weekend for a profit no less. Crazy times we are in when even your Toyhauler gains in equity. She will be missed. Many great memories & money in the bank now.

I'm looking to order a Momentum 398M-R as our next home on wheels. This floorpan has a pin weight that works well with my SRW F350 and has a 18ft garage for race car stuff. I'm adding the 1/2 bath for my daughters to use. This damn thing is EXPENSIVE! All in all I/we spent 3 months in our Genesis last year between racing and family trips. We can afford it and really enjoy having one. I've just started the planning for a June Sprints/Road America Wisconsin trip in 2023 then continue to the outer banks and down to Florida and back.

What sort of %'s have you new buyers been able to negotiate off of MSRP? In the past I start at 35% to end up at 30% off.

Have the QC issues of the "Covid" trailers passed?

Do you think a recession is going to change the RV marketplace in the next couple of months?

Fuel prices change the market? Interest rates increasing changing buying power?

I can stall ordering one for a little bit, say August-September or so but who knows for sure.

What's everyone's take on the next 12 months/near future of RV industry/ownership?

Last edited:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Glamis / Desert season is about over. I already see a greater number of used Toyhaulers popping up.

If you can wait I would.

We have been without a RV since June and it’s driving us nuts.

Soon as/if I get my truck I’m going to be on the hunt.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Glamis / Desert season is about over. I already see a greater number of used Toyhaulers popping up.

If you can wait I would.

We have been without a RV since June and it’s driving us nuts.

Soon as/if I get my truck I’m going to be on the hunt.
I would wait as well

I dont know if GD will drop MSRP but suspect eventually (who knows when) the dealers will be getting back to “normal”. Next year is when I expect for nice used ones to drop.

I am also hoping before heading out in a month or so that the gas prices have eliminated so many people out and about. Will soon find out.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Just purchased from RW, I was at around 20-21% off MSRP, and they weren’t going to move any further. It appeared to vary by manufacturer a bit. I also noticed that some models had a “manufacturer variable markup” added to the MSRP that was NOT added by the dealer, but by the manufacturer.

I would also suggest waiting, unless you find what you consider to be a reasonable deal on the specific model that you want.

I probably could have saved a bit if I waited, but who knows at this point. I have trips planned and didn’t want to wait.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Another thing to add, there is a Onan generator shortage, especially on the 5500+ models, so some of the bigger Genesis haulers I looked at came without one, if you want to add one later when they become available they put you on a list, and you pay for the generator separate when it becomes available and they install it, for around 5k.

Not sure what model(s) you are looking at. They have a 40ssrs available that looks like it could be had for a reasonable discount.

Javajoe

Reaction score
Wife wants to go look this weekend. Absolutely last thing I want is a toy hauler or RV. Gotta go appease her I guess. She wants one for the river since the houses we rent are going up and also because we cant find a house to buy in Havasu. Lots of them she likes. I don’t like any of them I have seen. We keep looking. She wants to do like the crazy horse thing I think. We both think Islander Park Models are a joke for land lease deal. Same as Parker Crit and BLM deal.
I know trailers are built like crap. Should be an interesting Sat. God I hate salesman and the whole shopping deal. Do I sound negative enough??? 😂 maybe she will go without me 🙏🏻

boatnam2

Reaction score
I know when i went to the place off 405 in HB 9 months ago, place was empty. Place is full of new stuff now, crazy how fast they have built the inventory, thinking stuff could be a little rushed, but who knows, maybe it the same quality as few years ago.

Last edited:

outboard_256

Reaction score
Its all a gamble really, you could wait and prices go down but they could go up too. I just buy when I am ready, sometimes I get lucky and get it cheap and sometimes I pay a premium. It costs what it costs, not going to skip a vacation to wait for a deal. I don't get very many vacations a year, I have the money or I wouldn't be looking at buying the toys.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Covid build quality on trailers has not improved. Not sure what trailer my buddy picked up in Jan. 40 something footer 100k+ build
it’s been back at dealer since he’s got it, literally picks it up from them to take trips and drops back off waiting for them to fix stuff.
hinge on door /walls in garage for bathroom, nearly all screws on piano hinges are stripped, heater won’t work unless you go out and spin the fan manually, generator sometimes works, plumbing on one of the gray tanks was still called, couldn’t figure out why his shower was full, the list goes on.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Its a gamble if you wait.... Are the toyhualers you looking at popping up for sale used? I would see smaller travel trailers pop up, but not the ones you are looking for. The ones that are buying Momentum's are a different buyer and not ones that are too affected by fuel cost. A lot of those people I have meet are actually retired and use them to haul their Harley's around.

Do you think they will become cheaper to build longer you wait? what about interest rates, lower or higher if you wait? You could be waiting 2 years hoping to save a couple of grand... don't think you will save much waiting 5 months... We all know trailers are a depreciating asset, just right now its not the norm when selling for profit.... Did you think you would sell for profit when you bought the Genesis? No, you figured you would lose money... Nothing is different buying now.

Icky

Reaction score
Another thing to add, there is a Onan generator shortage, especially on the 5500+ models, so some of the bigger Genesis haulers I looked at came without one, if you want to add one later when they become available they put you on a list, and you pay for the generator separate when it becomes available and they install it, for around 5k.

Not sure what model(s) you are looking at. They have a 40ssrs available that looks like it could be had for a reasonable discount.
The 40ssrs looks like a similar layout to my 40cr 👍

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Its a gamble if you wait.... Are the toyhualers you looking at popping up for sale used? I would see smaller travel trailers pop up, but not the ones you are looking for. The ones that are buying Momentum's are a different buyer and not ones that are too affected by fuel cost. A lot of those people I have meet are actually retired and use them to haul their Harley's around.

Do you think they will become cheaper to build longer you wait? what about interest rates, lower or higher if you wait? You could be waiting 2 years hoping to save a couple of grand... don't think you will save much waiting 5 months... We all know trailers are a depreciating asset, just right now its not the norm when selling for profit.... Did you think you would sell for profit when you bought the Genesis? No, you figured you would lose money... Nothing is different buying now.

These are valid points. Folks that buy Momentum’s aren’t the typical pay check to pay check types 😂

You only hope with getting a deal on a Momentum is to hope stock goes up a bit and a dealer wants to make a deal.

I have been watching Instagram for Toyhaulers. Allot of used are asking the same price as new.
A few are MSRP plus sales tax. Those people are likely little down financed to the hilt and will be in for a rude awakening.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
This the right model?

Seems high for a ‘19

Attachments

• FB99E25D-DB88-4E01-B310-2E7EE2482F1E.png
    FB99E25D-DB88-4E01-B310-2E7EE2482F1E.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 58

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with a Momentum. We purchased a 2021 Momentum 395M in June of 2020. It was being built when Grand Design had to shut down for covid. It was finished just after the factory opened back up.

My point being, the fit and finish of the trailer is awesome. The folks at Grand Design build one hell of a trailer. There was only a couple of items that needed fixing when they delivered it. But they were minor issues and I took delivery immediately. We use this as our second home at the Islander from April to November and then desert trips in the winter. It's roomy and comfy.

I say if you like it, buy it. “Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” ― Ferris Bueller.

IMG_0372.JPG

IMG_0364.JPG

Cdog

Reaction score
All good points here.

Dealer stock trailers were not getting the Onan. Only customer orders. This being our 4th trailer I know exactly what I want on it so ordering seems to be the best option for me.

I'm talking with 4 dealers at the moment. The honest guy from Texas has indicated things have slowed down a bit. I suppose the difference between joining the heard or waiting and buying smart could save me 10-15k. On an approximate MSRP of 153k I've been quoted 111-132k for the same trailer. So at best 27% off msrp so far. The unknown is Momentum and their mysterious price increases. I have learned they dont lock you in at your price and the dealer will only absorb so much before they try to pass it on to you. I was about to go to deposit on one until I read the fine print. So watch out for that gotcha.. I assume this BS move is the reason why 30% off has turned into 25-27% off.

Anything over 110k gives me heartburn.... It takes 2-4 months to build one so my summer is shot anyway. Might as well wait until August-September to order. I bet inventory levels out and the traditional % off deals resume now that the fervor has passed.

I'm on a bunch of the FB groups for toy haulers. Lots of trailers going up for sale right now too. Some are nuts. Others are decent deals. In January I missed out on a 1 month old 398M that didnt have the 1/2 bath for 98k. There are deals out there....

I'm 98% sure I'll have one by the end of the year.

Cdog

Reaction score
This the right model?

Seems high for a ‘19
Yeah that's high. For 10-15k more I can order new. I need the 1/2 bath for the girls too. I think that might be a recent option.

I dont blame him for trying though.

The below 80k trailers seem to hold top value better based on what I have seen. The higher end stuff takes a hit. Probably because less can afford it and those who can dont loose sleep over 10-30k on a impulse purchase/sale.

Cdog

Reaction score
Wife wants to go look this weekend. Absolutely last thing I want is a toy hauler or RV. Gotta go appease her I guess. She wants one for the river since the houses we rent are going up and also because we cant find a house to buy in Havasu. Lots of them she likes. I don’t like any of them I have seen. We keep looking. She wants to do like the crazy horse thing I think. We both think Islander Park Models are a joke for land lease deal. Same as Parker Crit and BLM deal.
I know trailers are built like crap. Should be an interesting Sat. God I hate salesman and the whole shopping deal. Do I sound negative enough??? 😂 maybe she will go without me 🙏🏻
Dont do it! There's always something to fix on these things because they are not built robust enough to handle the abuse a women lays out on them. Youre going to be pissed fixing it when you didnt want it to begin with lol!

The damn sticker fake wood wall board gets me. For the price of even a momentum you'd think they would have something better....

Javajoe

Reaction score
Dont do it! There's always something to fix on these things because they are not built robust enough to handle the abuse a women lays out on them. Youre going to be pissed fixing it when you didnt want it to begin with lol!

The damn sticker fake wood wall board gets me. For the price of even a momentum you'd think they would have something better....
Exactly!!!
But, I may have to buy one for 9 months to put out at Desert Center in June while I build a new Fire Station there. 👎 I have another One I have to build at the same time at The Salton Sea. Gunna have my Company buy it if I go that way. Nowhere to stay out there

sczagurs

Reaction score
Try the Facebook group grand designs momentum owners. They have been popping up quite a bit, overall length kills it for me trying to camp at state beaches. Also str8 up toy trader.

Cdog

Reaction score
Update! Bought this big ole girl in Mississippi. We call her Mississippi Queen after the Mountain song. Drove from AZ to Mississippi straight though in 23 hrs with a good friend.

Bought through my Montana LLC and paid 30% off MSRP OTD.

tempImageZ1kCnk.png

tempImageS0NHQb.png

Last edited:

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Update! Bought this big ole girl in Mississippi. We call her Mississippi Queen after the Mountain song. Drove from AZ to Mississippi straight though in 23 hrs with a good friend.

Bought through my Montana LLC and paid 30% off MSRP OTD.

View attachment 1115858
View attachment 1115857

I heard since January of 2020 or 21 you can't get a new Montana LLC if you didn't already have one. True?

Singleton

Reaction score
I got that direct from a Pontoon dealer either in Havasu or California when I was talking to them a month back or so.
Quick google search pulled back nothing. A couple minor changes if you are transferring LLC to Montana, but does not stop you from creating a net new one.

Cdog

Reaction score
I heard since January of 2020 or 21 you can't get a new Montana LLC if you didn't already have one. True?
I've had mine since 2017. IDK about any updates or issues. I just modify mine per what's in it.

CLdrinker

Reaction score

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I have noticed a lot of people on my RV pages (both FB and Forums), are starting to talk about the cost of trips, the amount of work it is to go RVing, and really not enjoying it. Having an RV is like having a boat. Its work, but you either love it making the work worth it, or you don't.

I feel like the market will change fairly quickly.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I have noticed a lot of people on my RV pages (both FB and Forums), are starting to talk about the cost of trips, the amount of work it is to go RVing, and really not enjoying it. Having an RV is like having a boat. Its work, but you either love it making the work worth it, or you don't.

I feel like the market will change fairly quickly.
$5 a gallon, storage and payment will get old soon. I bet many people didn’t put enough down to cover the sales tax. And are upside down now or will be very soon.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I've had mine since 2017. IDK about any updates or issues. I just modify mine per what's in it.
Easiest way to create one tips? Also are you running Montana plates?

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
So I sold my 2018 Genesis GS34 over the weekend for a profit no less. Crazy times we are in when even your Toyhauler gains in equity. She will be missed. Many great memories & money in the bank now.

I'm looking to order a Momentum 398M-R as our next home on wheels. This floorpan has a pin weight that works well with my SRW F350 and has a 18ft garage for race car stuff. I'm adding the 1/2 bath for my daughters to use. This damn thing is EXPENSIVE! All in all I/we spent 3 months in our Genesis last year between racing and family trips. We can afford it and really enjoy having one. I've just started the planning for a June Sprints/Road America Wisconsin trip in 2023 then continue to the outer banks and down to Florida and back.

What sort of %'s have you new buyers been able to negotiate off of MSRP? In the past I start at 35% to end up at 30% off.

Have the QC issues of the "Covid" trailers passed?

Do you think a recession is going to change the RV marketplace in the next couple of months?

Fuel prices change the market? Interest rates increasing changing buying power?

I can stall ordering one for a little bit, say August-September or so but who knows for sure.

What's everyone's take on the next 12 months/near future of RV industry/ownership?
If you haven’t purchased a replacement RV yet I would hold off a long while. When Diesel hits $10 bucks a gallon next year there’s going to be a grip of used RV’s hitting the market. Especially the Class A fuel monsters that get 7 mpg!

Hopefully votes count in 2024 and we get a new President that understands you can’t kill the American Oil Industry to go green when China and India are literally building 1 New Coal Burning Powerplant every week and giving the rest of the world the finger.

Unfortunately I’m pretty sure fuel prices are going to continue to rise thru January, 2025. The RV Market is going to be dead for the next 3+ years. That’s the time to buy!!

Cdog

Reaction score
If you haven’t purchased a replacement RV yet I would hold off a long while. When Diesel hits $10 bucks a gallon next year there’s going to be a grip of used RV’s hitting the market. Especially the Class A fuel monsters that get 7 mpg!

Hopefully votes count in 2024 and we get a new President that understands you can’t kill the American Oil Industry to go green when China and India are literally building 1 New Coal Burning Powerplant every week and giving the rest of the world the finger.

Unfortunately I’m pretty sure fuel prices are going to continue to rise thru January, 2025. The RV Market is going to be dead for the next 3+ years. That’s the time to buy!!
I agree. Already bought at a killer price compared to everything else I have seen in the last 90 days.

I’m okay with it. We’re at an age where we won’t get this time back so fuck it.

Let the chips fall where they will.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I was watching my RV vlog and the guy was saying how the pull back was good for the RV industry as quality even on higher end brands were slacking bad, there was basically no new innovation as manufactures were just churning out product as fast as they can, made since.