WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Custom boat

Javajoe

Reaction score
So my Russian neighbor has me come over to show me his boat he built from scratch. Like from Home Depot scratch. 100% hand made. I noticed he was making a boat and had a real old jet ski he bought but never realized he was actually making a real boat. Pretty crazy. It’s all registered and everything. Just a putter. Put the jet ski motor in it. He also shows me an old pickup he almost has done that has an iPad in the dash and miles of wiring in it and is almost done with. Such a nice guy.
CB0BEF7E-39F0-4AD1-9CFE-635ECD8CAF8D.jpeg
473B83A7-5A41-4ECD-B45B-8F4C732BB0C2.jpeg
20E935EF-E19D-40A5-9229-E6B3746B6370.jpeg
2CE3C3A8-FAE3-4AB2-A91F-CC74C5ED5578.jpeg
50958D09-4EBC-4C09-A1BC-3614C625E38D.jpeg
130C1236-CB9F-4C9A-88F5-DBC308EB810F.jpeg
6C8B0819-EAC4-4938-BDDE-43BC6A57245E.jpeg

4Waters

Reaction score
Very nice, the houses look like Simi Larwin style, you in Simi?

So my Russian neighbor has me come over to show me his boat he built from scratch. Like from Home Depot scratch. 100% hand made. I noticed he was making a boat and had a real old jet ski he bought but never realized he was actually making a real boat. Pretty crazy. It’s all registered and everything. Just a putter. Put the jet ski motor in it. He also shows me an old pickup he almost has done that has an iPad in the dash and miles of wiring in it and is almost done with. Such a nice guy.
View attachment 962956 View attachment 962957 View attachment 962958 View attachment 962959 View attachment 962960 View attachment 962961 View attachment 962962

SixD9R

Reaction score
Being a jet and all I wonder if it will hit triple digits?
The reverse bucket is really special. I also like the wood block for the hatch hold down.

nowski

Reaction score
That boat is Sweet!!!

Is that old Studebaker truck his tow vehicle?

Javajoe

Reaction score
That boat is Sweet!!!

Is that old Studebaker truck his tow vehicle?
No just a work project. He put a Chevy engine in it. He opened the passenger door and where the passenger seat would be there is miles of wires and circuit boards that connect to an iPad recessed in the dash and controlled by an app on his phone to open the doors, start the truck etc. Pretty crazy

sirbob

Reaction score
How from scratch did he build it?

On my phone so hard time seeing the pics but it looks cool! Does he have a mold (is it glass?) is the wood deck real or wood applied to a fiberglass deck or faux wood look?

Edit: it looks like a plywood build? Maybe GenL ??

Neat little cruiser for sunset cocktail cruises !

Last edited:

rrrr

Reaction score
That's some really nice work. Making something like that from scratch takes real skill. The Studebaker Lark convertible is a fairly rare piece, I'd like to see photos of it too.

The pickup is also cool. I owned a '52 when I was in high school, it had a 170 CI flathead and a three speed transmission. I paid $200 for it. One night I was at my dad's shop messing around with a friend. We formed some ¾" EMT and brazed it to the rear fender openings, slathered on some bondo, and shot a cover of grey primer over it. The result was some pretty good looking fender flares.

I just happened to have a set of 10" M&H Racemaster slicks mounted on 9" steel wheels. The bolt pattern matched the Stude's, and by midnight I had the truck parked at the local hangout and drawing a few spectators. @playdeep probably remembers my faux hot rod.

I had them convinced there was a 396 under the hood until I started it to go home. The flattie didn't quite sound like a V-8.

😁

Last edited:

Javajoe

Reaction score
Just Marine Plywood. No fiberglass. Just resin I think. No mold. He used to have a 47’ 3 deck he built from a hull up in Long Beach. Took him 2 years he said

Last edited:

Javajoe

Reaction score
I’ll go up the street later and get some more pics of his stuff. He’s currently working on a 3D printer and CNC he’s building

playdeep

Reaction score
That's some really nice work. Making something like that from scratch takes real skill. The Studebaker Lark convertible is a fairly rare piece, I'd like to see photos of it too.

The pickup is also cool. I owned a '52 when I was in high school, it had a 170 CI flathead and a three speed transmission. I paid $200 for it. One night I was at my dad's shop messing around with a friend. We formed some ¾" EMT and brazed it to the rear fender openings, slathered on some bondo, and shot a cover of grey primer over it. The result was some pretty good looking fender flares.

I just happened to have a set of 10" M&H Racemaster slicks mounted on 9" steel Chevy wheels. The bolt pattern matched the Stude's, and by midnight I had the truck parked at the local hangout and drawing a few spectators. @playdeep probably remembers my faux hot rod.

I had them convinced there was a 396 under the hood until I started it to go home. The flattie didn't quite sound like a V-8.

😁

I do remember that ...
Skaggs parking lot across the street from Eldorado's McDonald's.
That ol' Stude was bitchin.
There was always some cool iron sitting there on Friday&Saturday nights.
Didja ever take it out to South Eubank?

rrrr

Reaction score
I do remember that ...
Skaggs parking lot across the street from Eldorado's McDonald's.
That ol' Stude was bitchin.
There was always some cool iron sitting there on Friday&Saturday nights.
Didja ever take it out to South Eubank?

Naw. It could barely get out of its own way. 😁

I did find out that when I hit a puddle in the street or it was raining, the slicks produced some interesting moments. 😁

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That is bad ass! I wish I had skills like that!

rrrr

Reaction score
Daaang! No doubt that rig leaves a trail of cool on the road wherever it goes.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
That’s pretty bitchen! How’s the performance? Pump stay loaded etc?
Needs to ditch that bass pro seat and do some vintage style pads to finish the effect.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Remember the Norwegian kid on here that built a mold and boat with a jet ski set up?
He was working on a submarine last I saw.
(Or was he on PB?)

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Remember the Norwegian kid on here that built a mold and boat with a jet ski set up?
He was working on a submarine last I saw.
(Or was he on PB?)
I vaguely remember that, ya it may have been PB.
or the guy that built the cracker using hardware from a tournament boat. Beautiful ride but wouldn’t listen about his thrust vector being wrong and center mass etc. beautiful boat but didn’t work for shit. He has a YouTube and it tries to bury the bow eye.

Javajoe

Reaction score
That’s pretty bitchen! How’s the performance? Pump stay loaded etc?
Needs to ditch that bass pro seat and do some vintage style pads to finish the effect.
No idea. I haven’t talked to him since he got back. He just does it as a hobby. Just for himself. Always building stuff. Building a big 3D printer in his garage right now and a CNC machine he said

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
That boat is cool! I have a SeaDoo LRV that is big and goofy, but always thought grafting the jet pump into a 60's runabout would be cool. This guy has way more talent than I do. I never would have dreamt of doing a wood boat. Even if it's not fast, would get there and get looks doing it!