WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cutting a tarp

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
OK....Need some suggestions on how to do this.

1) I am not real good at cutting straight lines
2) I don't have anything I can lay the tarp out on regardless
3) I don't have any kind of cutting tool other than a pair of scissors or a straight blade

I have 4 8X10 Heavy duty plastic tarps from Home Depot. I want to cut them down to 6'5"X10' for my application. I am adding extra grommets which will be reinforced as well.

Whats the best way to get these damn things cut down to the size I need? Once they are cut I will reinforce the bottom where the cut occurs. I could attempt to cut it but it sure wont be as straight as I want it.

Home Depot would not cut them for me....

Ideas?

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score

3) I don't have any kind of cutting tool other than a pair of scissors or a straight blade

I have 4 8X10 Heavy duty plastic tarps from Home Depot. I want to cut them down to 6'5"X10' for my application. I am adding extra grommets which will be reinforced as well.

Whats the best way to get these damn things cut down to the size I need? Once they are cut I will reinforce the bottom where the cut occurs. I could attempt to cut it but it sure wont be as straight as I want it.

Ideas?

Fallow the lines of the weave..

2Driver

Reaction score
We can lay them out in the garage and cut them if you want. Just get a straight edge and mark them and cut them with a razor or HD scissors.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Buy two straight batten boards, 1x2". Use one as a cutting board, and one as a straight edge. The other one is fold it back on itself, clip the corners to your marks, and use a sharpie to stripe it.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I can lay them out on the dirt I guess....Friggin HD will cut everything else but not this.....:(

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Wish I had a 10' long paper cutter....lol Those kind you slide the cutter after inserting the paper....

Icky

Reaction score
Fold it smaller and cut through multiple layers with large scissors? Old school paper shear?

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I am thinking I am going to fold it and tape it instead of cutting it. Will keep more weight on the bottom. Might even put some weights in there to help stability before tapping it up.

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
Cut doesn't need to be perfect. Make the fold your straight edge. Fold the cut edge back enough so it's straight, then fold again for grommets.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I am thinking I am going to fold it and tape it instead of cutting it. Will keep more weight on the bottom. Might even put some weights in there to help stability before tapping it up.

This is making more sense to me. The bottom would not flap much in the wind if I added something length wise and then rolled it in there. A length wise metal bar or something like that. Nothing crazy but enough to keep it stable on the bottom.

fmo24

Reaction score
For weights use big washers or buy curtain weights in fabric dept of Walmart or a fabric store

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
You guys helped me think this thru.

I am going to fold the bottom....add something for weight in there and then tape it all up real good.

The cut would be fine but I think I like the fold and adding weight to the tarp at the bottom.

These will be walls for my EZ Up. Problem has been with the grommets on the tarps ripping. I think I have solved that by reinforcing with Gorilla Tape at all points and then doubling the grommet locations. The extra 1.5' of tarp will be solved by rolling it up and inserting weigh before tapping. That will keep the bottom more secure but will not be using grommets there.

My EZ Up is 10 years old and has withstood 50MPH winds and keeps standing. Pretty amazing actually but it is a commercial grade and I stake it real good. I looked into having some fabric stuff made, checked out EZ Up themselves and it just makes sense to continue with these heavy duty tarps from HD.

Thanks guys

fmo24

Reaction score
I have seen people use shower curtains, either clear or dark as ez up walls also

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
The material of the trap might be 100% square so I’d not cut with the fabric. I’d lay it out and fold it to the size that you want and create a crease. Then use the scissors to cut along the crease. This is how they do it in the fabric store.

JB in so cal

Reaction score

Ideas?
Make sure the body is completely covered and dump plenty of
You guys helped me think this thru.

I am going to fold the bottom....add something for weight in there and then tape it all up real good.

The cut would be fine but I think I like the fold and adding weight to the tarp at the bottom.

These will be walls for my EZ Up. Problem has been with the grommets on the tarps ripping. I think I have solved that by reinforcing with Gorilla Tape at all points and then doubling the grommet locations. The extra 1.5' of tarp will be solved by rolling it up and inserting weigh before tapping. That will keep the bottom more secure but will not be using grommets there.

My EZ Up is 10 years old and has withstood 50MPH winds and keeps standing. Pretty amazing actually but it is a commercial grade and I stake it real good. I looked into having some fabric stuff made, checked out EZ Up themselves and it just makes sense to continue with these heavy duty tarps from HD.

Thanks guys
when you bury a body you need right fitting tarps, I imagine. Not judging. Take care of business.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Make sure the body is completely covered and dump plenty of

when you bury a body you need right fitting tarps, I imagine. Not judging. Take care of business.

lol. Who was the expert again on the burying of bodies?

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Lets see some pics of your homeless camp..😂😂

here ya go Zig. Lol. My 5 acre homeless camp in North Scottsdale. ;)

3004A04F-47F8-4748-99CA-9E44F7DCAC69.jpeg D700B5D5-4056-4EB7-937D-F663F12439AF.jpeg 4881C366-0DF5-43D2-85B0-27BAB008EE20.jpeg
3004A04F-47F8-4748-99CA-9E44F7DCAC69.jpeg
D700B5D5-4056-4EB7-937D-F663F12439AF.jpeg
4881C366-0DF5-43D2-85B0-27BAB008EE20.jpeg

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Got room for some more hombrés?
😁
Looks peaceful, I could go for some solitude from society .

Very peaceful. Dude ranch next door and surrounded by ranches. Its a good place for the winter for sure

Last edited:

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Fold it on the cut line. Weight the tarp and cut the fold?

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Fold it on the cut line. Weight the tarp and cut the fold?

All good but not going to cut.....it will keep the tarp down on the bottom. Sides will have grommets every 1 foot. Every grommet will be reinforced with heavy duty gorilla tape. Top area has never been an issue. Sides take the brunt which I hope will be solved now.

If this all works out as I am thinking I cut my tie wraps and roll it up and throw in the garage of the 5th wheel. Break it out at the next spot

My alternative to this was between 450-600 dollars......No thanks

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
The more you fold it, the shorter the straight edge you'll need.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
I love your solution.... when you put the weights in... tape them in place... or zip tie them...

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Last time I did one, I folded it and punched/installed one grommet at a time...eyeballing each one. Cut off the excess when yore done and it’ll be fine

2Driver

Reaction score
It should be a good test of Campo Dilligaf today. 25 mph sustained later on.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
It should be a good test of Campo Dilligaf today. 25 mph sustained later on.

One new panel is up....It will solve the problem. I just need to decide what goes in the bottom to just finish it off. Going to Homo Depot to see what works best at the cheapest cost.

Two bottom folds and I got the holes to line up with the new grommets I added. Zip tied them and now I just need to insert the weight source in the bottom which is like a pouch now. Didn't need to cut and will have more support on the bottom. The two folds got me almost exactly on the money as far as height wise. Good enough for sure.

Adding additional grommets and reinforcing them along with the ones already on the tarp will get r done. I think the grommets ripping out are over but ya never know but they are stout now.

Now I get started on the other panels I want up to finish it off.

The panels-tarps will just roll up to the bottom weights and take up very little room in the garage.

Thanks for the help in thinking this thru. Sometimes you just need other opinions to get things done properly.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
It actually looks kind of comfy, really. How in the world is that Harley so clean out in the dust and wind?

I clean it regularly. It is dirty right now as far as I am concerned. I use Dri Wash and clean the entire bike in 15 minutes. It shines up very well when done. If it really needs a deep cleaning I will just run it to a self serve car wash that has a blower for bikes to get all the water out of nooks and cranies. I have done that one time in 6 months and thats it.

I am very comfortable here. It helps to have a big 5th wheel with a garage of course.

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
I clean it regularly. It is dirty right now as far as I am concerned. I use Dri Wash and clean the entire bike in 15 minutes. It shines up very well when done. If it really needs a deep cleaning I will just run it to a self serve car wash that has a blower for bikes to get all the water out of nooks and cranies. I have done that one time in 6 months and thats it.

I am very comfortable here. It helps to have a big 5th wheel with a garage of course.
honestly. jealous. FU. ;)