WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cutting up a ship

BlowMe

Reaction score
This would be such a crazy experience. I couldnt imagine making that last cut to separate a piece of it. Would love to watch how they do it and what all goes down

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
It wouldn't open pics for me, but it sounds like they're using the chainsaw/cable method they used on the Volvo carrier in Europe. Looks like fun really. Giant demo work, all kinds of ways to die, but not done often enough for people to say you're taking too long or doing it wrong. Probably good money too!

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
This would be such a crazy experience. I couldnt imagine making that last cut to separate a piece of it. Would love to watch how they do it and what all goes down

startegic and small sections at a time that can be fit in rail cars for smelting would be my guess.

Redracer1090

Reaction score
Look for pictures of Brunswick GA. Car Hauler Salvage The Crane came from Texas , HUGE, The cars look like toys, taking it apart in 40 ft sections. i Live 20 miles from there and go see progess every weekend.

rrrr

Reaction score
It's amazing that a ship can be cut apart with sections of chain.

savannah-corps-photo-1606925608.jpg

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
It's amazing that a ship can be cut apart with sections of chain.

View attachment 967705
Seeing that pic makes one aware of a few things.. the cutting is impressive, sure. The fact they can cut it underwater, and then lift it out of the water is amazing. Then, add in that all equipment needed is floating as well! That is some amazing blue collar wizardry!

Taboma

Reaction score

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
That must have made a hell of a noise when it went over...

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
It wouldn't open pics for me, but it sounds like they're using the chainsaw/cable method they used on the Volvo carrier in Europe. Looks like fun really. Giant demo work, all kinds of ways to die, but not done often enough for people to say you're taking too long or doing it wrong. Probably good money too!
I lost one customer ordered and two inventory BMWs and two Saab inventory vehicles in that ship.
It was a big loss for Volvo too, that was when their brand new xc90s first rolled out. Might have even been the first or second load going to the US.