WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

D21's Pirated Parts

DiMarco21

Reaction score
I just got a call from a good friend stating a company called AMS owned by Steve Moody is reproducing my prop shaft seals and rudder boxes.

I saw a post by Dave Lipinski (68 Woody) a while back saying AMS is also making a bearing prop shaft seal. I thought that?s the way it goes; there are many different ways to make a part.
Then I went to the AMS website and could not believe what I?m seeing. It?s an exact copy of my parts!!!

I called AMS and spoke to Steve Moody and asked him about his parts. He told me all about them and how they work. I said ?I also saw them for sale in Performance Boats.com and River Daves Place .com?.what are the differences??

Steve said,? there are none, they are the same part?

I asked ?do you make the parts or does the other guy make them and you just sell them??

Steve said, ?We make them. We just copied them from that DiMarco21 guy.?

Question? How is this stuff right? I?ve got no problem with a guy making up some parts and at least changing them a little, but making an exact copy? Gimme a break.

The other shame of this is someone knowingly purchased parts from me and then gave them to AMS to copy.

I think we all agree this is too small of a community to pull these stunts and screw people over.

***The parts with red anodize below are AMS parts. Mine are the raw aluminum parts.***

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Not cool. Although his are red, there is the difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

DiMarco21

Reaction score
Not cool. Although his are red, there is the difference.

He offers them in machined finish / polished or anodized. He actually told me on the phone that its the same part as Dimarco21's.

DiMarco21

Reaction score
Do you have a patent?

Nope sure don't. Shame on me. From my understanding even if he changed it 10% it would be enough to get by the patent. But I couldn't tell you for sure, I'm defiantly not an expert.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
A strongly worded cease and decist letter from a lawyer might do wonders here.

DiMarco21

Reaction score
A strongly worded cease and decist letter from a lawyer might do wonders here.

Thank you, were on it. I started first thing this morning.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Or maybe ask the Mongols to go say hi... :eek:

DiMarco21

Reaction score
So He beat the chinese guys to it !!!! They must be slacking on this !!!!!!!!!! :thumbsdown Fock That GUY

Thank you for the support. I know RD makes a lot of parts so he knows where I'm coming from with this.

We all know I not going to stop this guy, but if starting a thread about it makes other boaters aware of his business practices and in turn slows down his sales then so be it.

This coping of other peoples ideas to try and make a quick buck will cost him more $$ in this tight-nit community than hes aware of.

Thanks again, Phil

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this for sure! :thumbsdown D21 makes a great product! Been running his prop shaft seal on the Taco for 3 seasons and it's never leaked a drop! Nobody likes a leaky Taco :skull

Seriously though, that guy should play a little game of hide and go fuck himself! Not cool :loser:

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
That sucks Phil. I nobody buys his parts. :thumbsdown

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
Welcome to the CLUB, Phil & Steve-o ! Anything that's worth a shit gets copied by those who have no conscience, and that is exactly how they run their businesses. It is very difficult to patent such simple pieces, and costly too. I'm going to 'look up' his business and see what he has going. G

Last edited:

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
The machinist that made the parts for AMS responded over on PB.

sent using Tapatalk

DiMarco21

Reaction score
Thank you for the support and kind words.

I thought it was kind of funny how he could not answer any of the questions I asked. I would bet they took the pic of that fake seal setup with the extra seals a UHMW bushings this morning for a lil damage control.

Takes all kinds.

Thanks again RD's Place, Phil

harlanorrin

Reaction score
After I built the plug and molds for the first Sanger Bubble deck boat, there were about a dozen companys that splashed the deck and had a bubble deck on their production boats. Jack figured we were the first, and let them catch up, when we were first and running 150 MPH.
HARLAN ORRIN

DiMarco21

Reaction score
After I built the plug and molds for the first Sanger Bubble deck boat, there were about a dozen companys that splashed the deck and had a bubble deck on their production boats. Jack figured we were the first, and let them catch up, when we were first and running 150 MPH.
HARLAN ORRIN

Hi Harlan, I figure you could write a book on people splashing your designs. It must get frustrating. Phil

steveo143

Reaction score
Thank you for the support and kind words.

I thought it was kind of funny how he could not answer any of the questions I asked. I would bet they took the pic of that fake seal setup with the extra seals a UHMW bushings this morning for a lil damage control.

Takes all kinds.

Thanks again RD's Place, Phil

That setup wouldn't work, no way to get grease to the 2nd seal with the turcite in there, it would be toast in a minute!

racerden

Boat #197
Reaction score
Well, that 's free enterprise for you Phil. However, anybody in The Know is HIGHLY aware of the quality of your handmade products, not to mention the top shelf service that backs them up.
I chose your components because they are competition tested and have proven reliable time and time again. Another very important item is they are in a stressed and highly safety related area. Any subsitution here can and has caused severe consequences. Two full seasons of racing 197 has yielded zero failures.

Fellow RDP folk, why even consider anything else? I'm not an ambassador for DiMarco21 nor get any perks. I just tell the truth about good proven components. Feel free to PM me if more info is needed.

Denny Valdez
2011 National Champions
197 Hustler Ski Racing Team

DiMarco21

Reaction score
That setup wouldn't work, no way to get grease to the 2nd seal with the turcite in there, it would be toast in a minute!

I agree Steve. They were just trying to do some last minute damage control by showing the forums how the seal was different. Steve Moody of AMS told me its the same seal, their website says its the same seal.

All of a sudden AMS says they have multiple seals and a UHMW bushing. Wouldn't that be an excellent feature to add as a selling point?

All smoke and mirrors. :blah:

DiMarco21

Reaction score
Well, that 's free enterprise for you Phil. However, anybody in The Know is HIGHLY aware of the quality of your handmade products, not to mention the top shelf service that backs them up.
I chose your components because they are competition tested and have proven reliable time and time again. Another very important item is they are in a stressed and highly safety related area. Any subsitution here can and has caused severe consequences. Two full seasons of racing 197 has yielded zero failures.

Fellow RDP folk, why even consider anything else? I'm not an ambassador for DiMarco21 nor get any perks. I just tell the truth about good proven components. Feel free to PM me if more info is needed.

Denny Valdez
2011 National Champions
197 Hustler Ski Racing Team

Thank you Denny for the kind words, and good luck on your 2012 season. :)

DiMarco21

Reaction score
Steve Moody at AMS has done the right thing and removed the copied rudder and prop seals from his website. :thumbsup