WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dad’s final voyage

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score
Today we celebrated my dad’s final voyage. Such a beautiful tribute to an amazing man who inspired so many. A little back story about my dad. He was a bit of a public figure in the city of Long Beach. He conducted the Long Beach Municipal Band for the last 27 years, the longest running professional band in the country at 109 years. Prior to that, he was director of bands at CSU Long Beach for 25 years. He was well known as a musical conductor around the world and has guest conducted the LA Philharmonic, Pacific Symphony and many other well respected musical organizations. I share this story because it’s boating related and I’m hopeful that it’s uplifting in some way.

Today, we honored him with 21 boats and @85 people by the Cerritos Bahia Yacht Club, the Corsair Yacht Club, as well as the City of Long Beach with a flyover of 2 Coast Guard helicopters and the Long Beach fireboat/life guard spraying water as we left the bay. The final circle of boats surrounding our family with love brought us all to tears as some of his favorite band music played through the speakers. Hope we did you proud dad. Cheers to a life well lived![emoji3590]

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_6322.jpg

IMG_6314.jpg

IMG_6358.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_9956.jpg

IMG_6366.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_6383.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishSniper

Reaction score
Today we celebrated my dad’s final voyage. Such a beautiful tribute to an amazing man who inspired so many. A little back story about my dad. He was a bit of a public figure in the city of Long Beach. He conducted the Long Beach Municipal Band for the last 27 years, the longest running professional band in the country at 109 years. Prior to that, he was director of bands at CSU Long Beach for 25 years. He was well known as a musical conductor around the world and has guest conducted the LA Philharmonic, Pacific Symphony and many other well respected musical organizations. I share this story because it’s boating related and I’m hopeful that it’s uplifting in some way.

Today, we honored him with 21 boats and @85 people by the Cerritos Bahia Yacht Club, the Corsair Yacht Club, as well as the City of Long Beach with a flyover of 2 Coast Guard helicopters and the Long Beach fireboat/life guard spraying water as we left the bay. The final circle of boats surrounding our family with love brought us all to tears as some of his favorite band music played through the speakers. Hope we did you proud dad. Cheers to a life well lived![emoji3590]

View attachment 911481
View attachment 911483
View attachment 911487
View attachment 911490
View attachment 911491
View attachment 911494
View attachment 911495
View attachment 911496
View attachment 911497

Great tribute. RIP.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
What an honor for you to post an event in your life such as this, he was truly blessed and so are you.

Condolences to all...

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
What a beautiful tribute to a great man. Life well lived. Just out of curiosity was he a trumpet player to or different musical instrument?

Joe mama

Reaction score
I don’t know you but your screen name says it all. Great job putting on a grand show of celebrating his life. I’m sure he watched the show from above and is proud of his family and friends.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Very sorry for the loss of your Dad. What an amazing tribute, on a boat (his?), surrounded by friends on other boats, with his favorite music playing. Outstanding! Well done.

Didn't realize your Dad played drums. I just assumed he played trumpet.

Music to my Ears

Reaction score
Very sorry for the loss of your Dad. What an amazing tribute, on a boat (his?), surrounded by friends on other boats, with his favorite music playing. Outstanding! Well done.

Didn't realize your Dad played drums. I just assumed he played trumpet.

Yes, we were on his boat which of course made it all that much more meaningful. You might get a kick out of the name of his boat "Bandwagon". On a side note, my mom is a great pianist - we could have had a combo. ;)

Last edited:

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
A life well lived.

I haven't heard of Adams State in ages, several of my friend went there. Beautiful and sunny Alamosa Colorado.

Condolences Kurt.

Music to my Ears

Reaction score
A life well lived.

I haven't heard of Adams State in ages, several of my friend went there. Beautiful and sunny Alamosa Colorado.

Condolences Kurt.

Probably not many people know where that is. He landed a teaching job in Pueblo CO right after that and that's where I was born. We moved to Pasadena CA a couple years later.

fmo24

Reaction score
Lived in LB on Park Ave for many years. Every Thurs in summer we rode our bikes to marine stadium for the concerts. Moved towards downtown and would go to concerts in Cherry Park. Always fantastic music The city will miss your dad 👍

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Sorry for the loss of your father. That looked like an amazing send off, and fitting of the talent he had. Until reading this, I had no clue as to the family ties your music had, and how deep the roots were. I hope you feel he's still playing or conducting...making music for others still.

Damn, tearing up...

Music to my Ears

Reaction score
Lived in LB on Park Ave for many years. Every Thurs in summer we rode our bikes to marine stadium for the concerts. Moved towards downtown and would go to concerts in Cherry Park. Always fantastic music The city will miss your dad [emoji106]

I’ve played in the band for the last 25 years and guest conducted several times. My favorite location was Marine Stadium watching out over all of the boats anchored. Bluff Park looking towards the Queen Mary was pretty cool too. I’m glad you enjoyed the band over the years. Thanks for your kind sentiments!

Music to my Ears

Reaction score
Sorry for the loss of your father. That looked like an amazing send off, and fitting of the talent he had. Until reading this, I had no clue as to the family ties your music had, and how deep the roots were. I hope you feel he's still playing or conducting...making music for others still.

Damn, tearing up...

Thank you! Yes, the roots are deep. I’ll have to post a picture of my great grandfathers conductor coat from the late 1800’s. I have it framed in my office. [emoji448]

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing the sendoff. I bet he was very proud to have a son like you. I'm sure he is watching from the big band in the sky/
Sorry for your Families loss.
R.I.P. to Pops.

Music to my Ears

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks for everyone’s kind comments and sentiments. Much appreciated! It always amazes me how much boaters support each other in times of need. Cheers to you all!