WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dad kills coyote after it attacked his 2 year old son

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Heard this one on the news this morning as well.

A coyote attacked a pair of dogs, bit a woman and skirmished with a vehicle before being killed by a father defending his family on a walk on Monday, police said. CBS station WBZ-TV reports that Ian O'Reilly said he had no choice but to fight.

"There was no running away, it would not allow us to run away," O'Reilly said. "It was very much the aggressor."

O'Reilly, his wife, and three young children were hiking at Jude's Pond when the coyote went after his young son. "It actually caught the hood of his jacket and was able to pull him down," O'Reilly said.

O'Reilly wife grabbed the kids before the animal could bite anyone and dad found himself eye to eye with the snarling beast.

ian.jpg

Ian O'ReillyWBZ-TV
"I did kick him square in the jaw once that put him to the ground and I was able to jump on him after that," O'Reilly said.

As his wife called 911, O'Reilly strangled the coyote during several minutes that seemed surreal at best.

"In the moment you don't really pay attention to what's going on ,you just try and go with whatever goes through your brain, instincts I suppose," O'Reilly said.

The Kensington Police Department believes the same coyote was responsible for attacking a vehicle on a roadway in Hampton Falls, biting a 62-year-old woman and her dogs on a porch in Kensington, and attacking a family on a walking trail in Exeter.

All three attacks were relatively close together and happened in little more than an hour, Kensington Police Chief Scott Cain said Monday.

Law enforcement officials were searching for the coyote when they got word that it had been killed. "The coyote came out of the woods and grabbed a child by the jacket. The dad went into protection mode and strangled the coyote," Cain said.

spectras only

Reaction score
They are all over the place everywhere. They're also not the once shy animals anymore either. You better be prepared if you run into one or more by yourself.Carry a big knife and stick at least. I'd carry a gun if it would be easy to obtain here in Canada.;)

Groper

Reaction score
I'm not going to pass any judgement at this time until I've read/heard a statement from the Coyote's attorney (Gloria Allred) however I am sure that the Coyote's family will soon file a lawsuit seeking retribution. :D

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
WOW, pretty crazy. Its true though those damn things are everywhere now and getting bolder. The few have seen just stood their ground and looked at us like whats up. Ran into a big bastard once when we were cruising around in the golf cart, I just put that shit in reverse :D

rvrrun

Reaction score
I'm not going to pass any judgement at this time until I've read/heard a statement from the Coyote's attorney (Gloria Allred) however I am sure that the Coyote's family will soon file a lawsuit seeking retribution. :D
Joaquin Phoenix is currently speaking out on the coyotes behalf until Gloria arrives.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Joaquin Phoenix is currently speaking out on the coyotes behalf until Gloria arrives.
He's hoping to play the 'yote's mother in the movie I'd guess....:eek:;)

PlanB

Reaction score
We were walking from the dog park on the island late at night with our two Pits, and ran into 10 of them. They were spread out around the trees in the park. I handed the leashes to my wife, and I took my G19 out of it's holster. We slowly walked on the sidewalk while keeping an eye on them, and had to walk all the way around the park. They did not move at all, just watched us.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Coyotes are the real deal... my buddy lives near Rose Bowl on 1/2 acre ... has two German Shepherds.... one evening a female coyote in heat enters his yard from the tree line and his male shepherd takes off after it to be jumped by 5 coyotes hiding behind the tree line. They're bad ass survivors adapting. I know what you're thinking.... how did my buddy know it was a female coyote [in heat no less] ... beats the shit outta me, but I love that story.

EarpRider

Reaction score
We just moved to Havasu, we're on the golf course, they're on the course everyday. Today around 10:30 AM one was just walking down the middle of the course, with golfer's everywhere.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
The thing about coyotes is typically if you can see one there are a few more you really can't see, but can see you.

Generally they are pack hunters and will use 1 as a lure. Either to act wounded and entice in an inquisitive animal, or run a female out to lure in other canines to be attacked.

Sounds like the one in the OP"s story likely had something going on making it act so overly aggressive while alone.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk